Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2021-22 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Contact was minimal and he hit the deck, the new FA penalty rules are, penalties not to be given for minimal contact, not sure if that's come down from fifa or UEFA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

If Firmino and Greizmann's roles were reversed, I'd doubt we'd hear any arguments somehow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I thought the swipe by McArthur on Saka's standing leg yesterday was much worse. He got away with it supposedly because he didn't see him (he did though), and yet Griezmann clearly on the replay doesn't know where Firmino is but that doesn't get taken into it. The McArthur one was much more likely to result in injury, and did so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Griezmann's incident was a red all day long. Not meaning it is irrelevant when you raise your foot that high, and has been for years. Nani was sent off for MUFC against Real Madrid years ago for something similar.

Still don't believe the Atletico penalty was a clear and obvious error though. Giminez was hoping Jota would do something stupid, but Jota did do something stupid, he did lean into him. The very fact that we have people still debating whether it was a penalty or not indicates to me that that it's not a clear and obvious error.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,827 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Lemar was clearly offside and obstructed Matip clearing there opening goal so the Jota one evened it out as they say

Of course he is, its perfectly acceptable to stud another player in the face when your foot 6 ft off the ground as long as you say you didnt see him,

There's no duty on you to know if someones face is there before you take flight Daniel LaRusso style with your studs up

Firmino must be 7 feet since he ducked into it.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

He pushed him in the back. He wasn't trying to do anything other than push him in the back. It's a foul.

Matip, nor alison were making it. Mane caught Trippier in the face. IT was an accident, and awarded as a foul, but he by law really have been booked at the very least if we're going to go "evens out"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Milner you mean and he didn't touch Trippier's face if you watch it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Are you arguing it wasn't a red for a studs up boo to the head? Remember the rule is all about endangering an opponent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭chicorytip

The Jota decision was the correct one. There was no contact whatsoever. This was apparent to everybody watching bar the VAR and the RTE commentary team. Hamilton made a bizarre comment claiming it was an exact replica of the Liverpool penalty incident. I am glad Liverpool won but a draw would have been a fair result.

No, earlier in the game there was one with mane

There was definite contact. Jota changes his body shape when it was easier to avoid contact

Firmino moves his head towards the ball. We have those incidents numerous times during a game. It's not like Griezmann went for a flying kung fu kick the way a previous lad suggested. He's trying to pluck the ball out of the air and Firmino moves into his way. It was an unfortunate coming together. Yellow would have been reasonable.

Nah, that was a red. Doesn't matter that it was accidental. It's a red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Not much ducking and he was also pushed in the back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Clearly had his head down around waist level there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Griezmanns foot is at his own shoulder height. Sorry, but you're way off on this, way off. Nobodies saying it's deliberate, it isn't. But that's not the rule, he's endangering an opponent having his foot up and studs showing at that height, it's very simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Ajax looking lovely. Take some team to outplay them or even hold them out parking the bus. Said a few weeks back they could make the semi, but hard to see any team beat them when they click. Cruyff came back a second time before he died to overhaul their youth system and he did some job. The purest football team in the competition, every neutral should be behind them. Total football

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,174 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

How don't people get this? We know it wasn't deliberate by Griezmann. It was an accident. But players have a duty of care to others on the field. You can't assume and swing a leg at shoulder height, regardless. If he had clattered his own player, who wasn't far off from stud marks on his face, it's still a red card all day long by the laws of the game. In any other walk of life, you wouldn't get away with the defence "I didn't know they were there". Might be a mitigating factor, but not in football, and it's well known.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

I wonder what Simeone spent all his time grabbing last season, because he clearly doesn't have any balls.

Its not Jurgen Klopp's fault how the game was officiated. Total lack of respect shown by storming off.

I actually support Liverpool because of the Whelan's , Ronnie Senior although older was a good mate of my Da's ,

He would be around in the house & that every so often, In the summer of 88 he called around with Ronnie himself which to my older bothera was the best day ever & the day i became a fan ,

Anyway the point of my story is Ronnie became bitter to Liverpool because in the summer of 94 , he was 33 at the end of his contract, Liverpool (Evans) offered him a 1 year extension to his deal & Ronnie felt he was due at least 2 years after everything he had done for the club over the past 15 years & said no he wouldn't sigh he wanted 2 years,

Anyway he took a week to think it over & went back into training and told Evans he would accept the deal as he wanted to stay and see his days out at Liverpool ,Evans said ye no problem i'll tell the board ,So the next morning at training Evan came over to Ronnie and told him the deal had been withdrawn they no longer wanted him, That was the end of his 15 years at Liverpool ,

He took it very very badly and never really forgave the club , That where the bitterness comes from

He didn't duck at all ,its red card all day every day ,

Just think about what your saying ,

For example

Week in week out we see lads try to get the ball miss & kick someone's leg with studs up and get sent off & nobody has a problem

Last night you seen a lad try to kick the ball miss and kick someone in the face with there studs up,

So why wouldn't that be a red card ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Jesus, just seen that Griezmann red. Can't have any doubt about it. Whether he saw him or not, it's reckless play putting your foot that high in a crowd of players.

Shawn Michaels would have been proud of that sweet chin music!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,085 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

It's accidental from Griezmann, but he can't have any complaints with a red card. He kicked a player in the head, with a very high boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

The major decision they got wrong was letting Atletico's first goal stand. Lemar is literally blocking Matip's path in trying to clear the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Hamann comes across as bitter also. Unlike Whelan, he did make millions from playing but later developed a gambling addiction and squandered most of it so probably appreciates the odd punditry gig. Houghton can be a loudmouth at times and snide in his criticisms. All three happen to be failed managers/coaches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,085 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Whelan is awful. He ruins games. He is extremely bitter towards Liverpool I find. Weird when they gave him his career. Always finds negatives and nothing else. I'll never forget the night that they qualified for the CL final and he was slating them all game and afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

id rather no sound than listen to whelan,or mcmanaman,or robbie savage.

That's not specific to Liverpool. He's the same when he commentates Irish games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, I think he's just jaded by football or something... never enjoy listening to him regardless what match or competition he's covering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Equium

Luuk de Jong looks like he won a competition to play for Barcelona. Shocking footballer.

They have gone from Messi, Suarez and Griezmann to de Jong, Memphis and Dest in just 2 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

True - though to be fair, with their squad fit their first choice would probably be 3 from Memphis, Aguero, Dembele, and Fati. Still a big step down on the good 'ol days, but quite as big as the dip down to Luuk de Jong. If they can sort out their fitness issues, I think they'll be alright this season. Not successful, but grand from a rebuilding pov.

I more so get the impression from Whelan that he's just a fan watching his team play. When they do something wrong you can hear the frustration in his voice.

I hear the same when he commentates on Irish games.

He is absolutely miserable to listen to though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Is it my ears, or does Tommy Martin on Virgin Media continually pronounce Atalanta as Atlanta ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

And again £73 million is left on the bench for United Sancho to United not going great

Solskjaer needs a win and I'd say he'll get it. I can see something like a 3-1 result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Man U players learning a lot from Ronnie being there, Just stroll around and don't press and let your teammates do all the work for you.

Atalanta take the lead through Pasalic. They've started well.

• Advertisement

Like a hot knife through butter.

Never offside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Remember the 3 week period early in the season when people were entertaining the notion of United challenging for major trophies? 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

United are overdoing it now. Don't want them to lose here and risk putting Ole under more pressure. A nice dull draw with do - got to keep him at the wheel.

Men vs Boys now 0-2.

Oh dear.

My man Demiral with a big header.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Maguire is a good centre half 🙄🙄🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Calm down Atalanta, we don't want Ole sacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Lol Ronnie to.come out as manager at half time at this rate.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

United in big trouble.

They look like being more likely to conceed than to score.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement