Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Makes it even sweeter that the 1 big debatable decision went in our favour. Seething Simeone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,182 ✭✭✭Xander10

Cheating is now called personality, seemingly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Atletico really are Klopp kryptonite. Just set up perfectly to disrupt and unsettled everything Liverpool do well, it's almost an artform the way they play.

Really hope Solskjaer was watching that tonight and gets the idea to try a similar approach at the weekend because given how poorly they're trained and drilled, Liverpool will tear them apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Suarez had nothing to do with the penalty? He's standing about 10 yards away.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Ronnie and Didi are gutted we won that

Super league is back on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Ya we deffo got away with that one. I always try look at things as if they went against us and I wouldn't have been impressed if that decision got overturned against us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Didi looks devastated we won lol, couldn't even admit it was a red. Bizarre stuff, Sadlier laughing at him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

If that was a penalty you'd give one everytime a corner comes into the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

The frustrating thing for me about Atletico under Simeone is that when they want to play they are very good. But they only play for certain moments in matches and spend way too much time flaying around and just being dickish.

He's a bitter man. He has or had a serious gambling problem.

Always liked him but he's a questionable pundit at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Peter Walton tying himself up in knots on the Atleti goal and possible offside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Still can't believe we didn't get a midfeilder this summers

Next summer Milner, Ox and Keita will need to be replaced can't for the life of me seeing us sign 3 midfielders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Yes we have, and you can disagree with me if you like, but look at it this way: Jurgen Klopp, who sees him every day in training, appears to consider him 7th choice currently.

He only played tonight because we had three midfielders out injured and Fabinho was not considered fit enough for 90 minutes. Don't believe me? Our two biggest games of the season prior to this one were Chelsea and City at Anfield, and Keita was on the bench for both, despite being fit (he's been fit nearly the whole season), behind an 18 year old Elliot for Chelsea and a 20 year old Jones for City. Not games where you experiment, or give a kid or squad player 'a chance', but Keita was omitted from the starting XI both times, with a kid and a 20 year old who is not the finished article preferred to him. And I think Klopp knows more about his players than you and me.

Other than that, Athletico are the most cynical, dirty, negative shower in European football currently and I'm genuinely delighted to have narrowly beaten them in 'controversial' circumstances. It was perfect when I think about it:

• Red card for Greizmann
    • Penalty against them
    • Their own penalty overturned by VAR
    • Suarez booked for dissent late on. I was legit dying for him to talk himself into a red card.

Couldn't happen to nicer people, could it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

I actually think I'd rather loose 3-0 to utd than loose to simeones team,they can play,but choose not to to play a form of football I'd call dirt. If it wasn't us playing them not a hope I'd ever watch them. For years, disgusting it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tinpib

I think he is bitter that he was Liverpool captain before football really took off money wise. He still has work to keep the money coming in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Quite right. It doesn't need to be intentional to be careless and endanger an opponent. The purpose of giving reds for these kind of challenges is to stop someone from having their skill split open by one. Didi and others would do well to remember that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Could do with Thiago and Jones back. Milner is a warrior but he's playing a lot of football lately. Keita good going forward. A liability going back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

How many Champions league matches has this referee taken charge of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

• Advertisement

I wonder was Keita nackered

He played 3 game on international duty then staryed at Watford, then tonight, Thats a lot in a short time for him

Although he had a mare away to Madrid last season, maybe just not cut out mentally for the big away games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Great to see a ref with the balls to stand up to all their play acting and moaning

Bad night for Mignolet, Ali showed how important a good keeper is.

On that subject, surprising Oblack isn’t plying his trade in the Premiership, he would certainly be an upgrade on De Gea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

I'd say a lot of our players were tired. It was kind of clearer as the game went on

Didi just being silly

Yes it wasn't on purpose but its Greizmans duty to known if a player is there or not before leading with his studs first into someones head

Can't stud someone in the face 6ft of the ground and say sorry i didnt see him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,111 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Did Salah become our top scorer in the CL tonight? I think he was 1 behind Gerrard going into tonight's game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Great that it’s a Tuesday - Sunday week at least, really looked like the lads need as much time as they can get after a really sharp high tempo performance on Saturday, and a tough scrap tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Greizman's red was line Mane's it was harsh but Bobby was also being pushed into by another player 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,204 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Atletico were also given the weekend off so were a lot fresher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If he is credited with the first goal he will move onto 31 champions league goals 1 ahead of Gerrard who was on 30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

The hatred for Atleti is strange to me. So much to admire about how they set up. The diving, antics, etc isn't great. However, to claim they are just 'dirt', 'anti football' or other stuff shows a lack of understanding of the game and a lack of appreciation for different styles in my opinion.

They're Spanish champions, scored the same amount as their closest challengers last season. They've lots of quality, exciting attacking players eg Griezmann, Lemar, Suarez, Carrasco, Felix.

You don't have to like them or Simeone, but you should be able appreciate what they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Is that what his little power slide was about then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Hard to argue with this Tweet, what a game of football, the usual insanity of when we play Athletico, mad shíte bound to happen....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

RTÉ commentator for the Porto Milan round up “it’s been 18 years since these sides met competitively”.

What a way to make ya feel old!

You might appreciate their cynicism, the diving, constantly looking for players to be booked, feigning injury etc, to me it’s shithousery, but perhaps we don’t don’t have your depth of understanding of the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I genuinely thought he was going to start crying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Great result, one foot in the knockout after 3 games, with 2 home games to go. Caught the breaks this evening, but we owe them one, a great result. Looked leggy when they upped the pace before the break, but it's all about the win.

On to Sunday....

So you've chosen to ignore where I said the antics aren't great. Good lad. Good reading.

If you're gonna disagree then at least counter some of what I've said as opposed to just making stuff up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

Simeone running down the tunnel at the final whistle was absolutely pathetic, that act sums him and his team up. Does he do that every time they lose?

Great win but it's hard to ignore how poor we were defensively and have been against any decent team we played this season. Chelsea first half, City and then Brentford all cut us apart at different stages throughout the game at their ease...Madrid created so many 1on1 situations tonight it was crazy. Henderson is not at it at all this season and poor VVD is just not even close to been back to himself...even his body language is not good! Hopefully he can get it together in the coming weeks because we can keep relying on Alli to pull off those saves!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

35 goals scored in the first 12 games this season.

11 goals conceded in the first 12 games of the season.

Looks like we are going to go balls to the wall this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Bar Brentford though those are elite level teams, they will cut you apart unless you park the bus.

And Brentford went within a Mendy world class performance and annihating Chelsea on the weekend.

No shame in that. The key thing is we lost none of those games.

And scored at least 3 in every away match so far.

We haven't shown any composure in those game. 2 years ago when we won the title we would go ahead and it would never even look like the opposition would get back into it...I do believe it will get better once VVD gets more confidence but currently we are very suspect at the back in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

I think VVD should be dropped for a couple of games. Let Gomez and Konaté get some minutes.

I don't know if that is the answer either. Pressure would be massive on him of he gets dropped from the side, the media would have a field day with it...but he was very poor tonight alright. Way off the pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

They show a desire to cheat, blatantly and consistently. That's why people dislike them. I'd have thought that was pretty obvious. Claiming that people can't appreciate their footballing talent and tactical capability whilst disliking them shows a lack of understanding of the complexities of human cognition and lack of appreciation of different tastes.

Delighted they lost. They are dirt and they are anti-football.

Define dirt? If it's simply about the antics, then yes they're dirt. They don't play a style of football you can call dirt though.

Define anti football? Again they're style of play isn't anti football so I find it hard to accept people just blindly tagging them as that and ignoring just how well drilled, how well coached and how well set up they are. It's not pretty but they do play and express themselves going forward too.

The theatrics are part and parcel of the game, especially on the continent. They use them more than most teams but again that's not the only weapon they have. They just exploit scenarios presented to them. It's not just them either. Real do it, Carvajal and Marcelo are experts. Busquets spends a chunk of most games clutching his face. Lewandowski is the same, I seem to recall him at it versus Ireland in a qualifying group in recent years.

I get that you don't have to like them, I don't expect everyone to but at the same time they can't be dismissed as this abomination within the sport. It's too simplistic.

Anyway it's probably for another thread so I'll leave it there defending their honour.

Delighted with our three points and more so as we didn't even play particularly well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Ben, you made a point that you didn't understand why people hated athletico. It's pretty obvious why. I haven't seen anyone say they're not talented or capable or well setup so I don't know why you're clinging on to that strawman.

Let's leave it there and agree it was a great result!

• Advertisement
Advertisement