Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Thornley's been wrong in the past too tho, so lets wait and see when it's announced.

Is Connors injured, out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Connors did a knee ligament (not ACL) towards the end of last season. Still hasn't returned to training.

Thought he'd be back by now. Been 6 months

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Yeah Connors is injured. Isn’t Balacoune injured too?

I honestly don’t know what people see in Carty tbh. Maddeningly inconsistent at league level is hardly the basis for Test caps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,932 ✭✭✭TRC10

Playing for a maddeningly inconsistent team.

He's a good player and in good form. Not saying he's the answer to all our problems but I think he should get a shot.

Of all the 10s who've deputised for Sexton, he's looked the best.

With Connors out so you'd imagine we're likely to see POM or Timoney start at least one of the games at 7.

I'd love to see 6. Coombes 7. VdF and 8 Doris/Conan for the NZ game and work the other fixtures around that. Really hoping we don't see 6. POM and 7. VdF for that NZ game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Baloucoune has been injured this season, and has played part of one game. In terms of ability, I'd have him ahead of Lowe, certainly, but he's just had an injury at a bad time, and since he's only just been capped, doesn't have the international track record that others (Stockdale, Zebo) do, that would get them back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

If Burns is the answer than we really are f*cked. His kicking is very poor and he is a speedbump in defence. He got to start against France and got ran through twice for their 1st try. Not to mention potentially the worst impact sub appearance against Wales since ROG came off the bench in the Lions 2nd test. He speed bumped again last friday which led to a try.

Hope Healy gets another start this weekend to show his game against Scarlets wasn't a one off.

Re Ross Byrne he has loads of big games to show what he can do, La Rochelle in the semi last year. Even the Dragons were able to manage him easily the other week as he simply offers Zero threat ball in hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

He plays for quite an inconsistent team. Doesnt get armchair the others get in the league most weeks. Cartys kicking is good, attacks the line well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Well it's easy to see what people see in him. He often comfortably puts in the best performance of any of the provincial outhalves.

Consistency is something separate but the fact that he's hugely talented is obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Not sure how you could justify leaving Blade out of the team. I'd like to see him and Doak getting reps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Doris put in a great shift at 6 with Conan at 8 at the weekend for leinster . OK it was only against the scarlets.

But both made over 55 metres ball in hand.

I'd imagine we could see that partnership for ireland with vdf 7 and o mahoney is a great fit for the number 20 Jersey given he is not great at any position but covers all of them adequately.

Personally I'd prefer to have Coombes 20 but can see benefit of Pom there.

Some great completion in the back row.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Hard to have doak and blade in the panel. Are you leaving out Murray or casey?

If doak isn't officially selected hopefully he is called into train with the squad.

other uncapped players who could be called into train might be frawley and b healy and diarmuid barron to have 4 hookers for scrum training. * if sheehan is named in official panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

Healy has performed against Glasgow (A) & Harlequins (H) to name 2 games, also was pretty good against Scarlets in the first game of the 2020/2021 season. If a young 10 is putting in good performances, has potential and we haven't got a clear pecking order for the 10 shirt I dont see what the logic is in waiting any longer to pick him, same with Harry Byrne.

Hasn't Ross also performed in big games last season like Montpellier away and Exeter away? But struggled against La Rochelle for the exact same reason that Sexton struggled against Saracens in the QF in 2020, because his pack was monstered...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Well yeah...I kind of think we are fucked unfortunately.

Also never let it be forgotten that ROG's sub appearance off the bench for Jackson against Scotland in the 6N was worse than his Lions sub appearance 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Ciaran-Irl

Wycherley simply isn't tall enough to play in the row at this level. He's 1.93/6'3. I don't see how he could be considered. He's be blown out of it in the tight. He's not as tall as most international team's flankers.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,470 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I want to see a squad picked that based around playing a certain way.

The way the game is going currently with lots of turn overs and quicker ball available from rucks, plus a tactical kicking game becoming less influential compared to a running game, it means we need energetic mobile forwards and ball playing clever backs.

from that point of view id love to see coombes, VDF, doris, conan, timoney and deegan as our back row selection. I personally wouldn't be bringing healy, i think his days in green are over and hes not an option for 2023 (and im a massive Healy fan). We need to stick with Porter at 1 and Killer or EOS should be given the cover shirt.

Casey and JGP are definitely the type of 9s we want playing (blade too, but he needs to do it at higher levels), and murray needs to develop his game to introduce a more threat with ball in hand and less kicking away of possession.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I'm not sure if Zebo deserves a call up. Lowe imo, doesn't. Wycherly is interesting because he is not a starter for Munster! But, he is a fine player. Ross Molony I feel is deserving of a call up. He's tearing it up at the movement.

It's strange that HB is possibly included, coming off a hip injury and being 3rd choice for Leinster. But, I suppose potential is key. Connors missing out is a shame. I wonder if he will be back at all this year! Making the 6nations might not be in the cards for him.

Overall, Farrell has done a lot to improve the squad with depth. He has been open to bringing in new blood. But, there is not too many opportunities left to experiment.

If our backline does not click, Catt should be canned

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

Team V japan 15 Keenan, 14 Conway, 13 AKI, 12 McCloskey, 11 Stockdale, 10 Carbery, 9 Casey , 8 Doris, 7 Timony, 6 Coombes, 5 Ryan, 4 Baird, 3 otoole 2 herring 1 porter

Bench: kelleher, furlong, O'Sullivan, Henderson, Conan, van deflier, Murray, sexton, lowe

• Registered Users Posts: 24,209 ✭✭✭✭phog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Wycherly not starting for Munster shouldnt be an issue. Plenty of others not always starting with provinces are/have been involved in irish squads. You can talk about potential with Wycherly if you are talking that HB should be picked.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭greenkiwi1

Just heard that squad announcement not till 5.30pm - are they waiting for injury updates or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Also has woefully inconsistent decision making. Hugely talented player but his decision making is at best patchy. Connacht fans were bemoaning just that the week before last.

If we could fuse Carty and Ross Byrne together, we’d have the perfect 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,760 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Kleyn and Haley have been playing pretty well for Munster for a while now.

They might be in with a shout.

Haley's lack of versatility could count against him.

The issue is we only have had 4 games to base a selection off of so we don't have a-lot to go on unfortunately. Im not too sure about canning Catt but we absolutely need someone to come in and fix the backline attack, one other factor I believe in us being reliant on Sexton is we almost have to have a 10 to overcomplicate because our backline play is an absolute joke at times, you'd swear the backs just met just a-few hours before the match and decided to practice some basic moves in the car park like a average underage AIL side would do.

Regardless of our selection situations we will go absolutely nowhere in the RWC if our backline attack doesnt improve significantly as its a huge handicap on the pack as the opposition know in their 22 they just need to focus on the pack as they know if we spin it wide the move will either be predictable or just a mess. I always think you can tell how much or little work goes into a backline attack based on what a team does on a penalty advantage and with Ireland every single time we get it Sexton gets the ball and kicks it away, some of the time to absolutely noone, that tells me all I need to know about what work is done on the backline. If we could improve the backline attack to the same extent we improved the pack's attack (The Irish pack was probably the best pack in the 2021 6N based on stats and impact) then we will be sucking diesel.

I really like Haley (he's got a huge boot, good under the high ball and is excellent counter-attacking option), and he's been consistently improving for Munster, but I think with Keenan having the FB jersey wrapped up, and it being incredibly unlikely to bring a dedicated FB as a back-up in the RWC squad, I don't think we'll see Haley getting many opportunities alright.

A bit like Felix Jones, but Joe seemed to really him and iirc even tried him on the wing in some warm-up games.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭greenkiwi1

Think this is why Zebo would get the nod as he can play wing or 15 whereas for Munster Haley has just been an out and out 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Yeah this is it. Someone above said he's often the best of the provincial outhalves - but unfortunately he's just as often the worst of the provincial outhalves too.

I think part of the issue is that the gap between pro14 and test level is so huge. You can look great in the league but at test level, you don't get the time and space to do the eye-catching stuff and your mistakes are much more likely to be punished.

Case in point; James Lowe - great for Leinster but does anyone see a long and storied test career for him? Why have we never seen Zebo's "X-factor" for Ireland? Why did Sean Cronin win 70 caps but only 10 starts? etc etc.

I think Carty's test career is done tbh. He's just not good enough and at 29 he's unlikely to make any quantum leaps forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Preference would be to drop Murray, something that should've happened a season or two ago.

Advertisement