Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,825 ✭✭✭✭briany

Imagine Trump if he had been allowed to give a eulogy at Mccain's funeral (we're talking a far-out alternate universe, here).

"And we're all thinking of John as his spirit goes... As it goes most probably to Heaven... "

"My deepest condolences to John's family, and in particular to his daughter, Meghan. Isn't she beautiful, folks? Almost as beautiful as my Ivanka. Maybe if she lost a few..."

"Deep down, I know John always liked me. Even when I made light of his being a POW. He probably thought saying that took balls."

"John... If you are up there... Tell the big guy to help us make... America.... Great.... Again! Thank you"

(Born in the USA plays)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Don't remember exactly as he's said so many idiotic things, it's hard to recall them all but I think he whined that he didn't get a thank you for allowing McCain to have a state funeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,555 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

That's pretty much it in a nutshell

"US President Donald Trump has attacked the late Senator John McCain, complaining that he "didn't get a thank you" for his state funeral.

"We sent him on the way, but I wasn't a fan of John McCain," the president said during a visit to an Ohio tank factory.

"I gave him the kind of funeral that he wanted, which as president I had to approve," he told workers at the factory.

"I don't care about this, I didn't get a thank you. That's OK."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Also worth checking this out:

He's now emailing his fans asking for at least $45 each for the "Protect Our Elections" fund, and to "solve the election fraud" in 2020.

How can people STILL not see this man for what he is?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,637 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

This is worth watching, particularly from the 6 minute mark.

Many who have paid close attention to Trump will be aware of this but it is quite sinister to see it laid out.

Not overly pleased that it is a late night talkshow host/comedian doing it rather senior Democrats but, that's part of the problem he alludes to himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Fascinating to see it laid out so clearly alright. We do forget sometimes that it's not just about the past. Trump is still going. The attempted coup is still continuing. We are witnessing the US transition to a new state. Whether that's breaking up of the US or civil war or just the transition from an admittedly not great democracy to an autocracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,517 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I've been reading "Peril" by Bob Woodward. Pretty damn frightening how, even though Trump's plotters were the gang that couldn't shoot straight, the slavish loyalty of the QGOP to the name Trump brought the US extremely close to an actual coup. But for the behavior of General Milley and others, they might've succeeded. The only GOPer that looks good in this, is Mike Pence, probably the only few days in his life he's had a spine.

Trump gets far too much airtime still. He's good for a headline and clicks. Media attention is oxygen to him.

Familiarity breeds contempt.

Steve's sitting pretty now.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Terence Rattigan

Utterly utterly depressing. Deluded, Dumb, Dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,635 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

What is becoming more and more clear, particularly within the book Peril, is just how involved Trump was in the attempted coup.

It has been waved away because he wasn't directing the insurrection itself, but that was clearly just another plank of the overall plan, a safety net should the other routes fail.

The evidence is mounting that Trump made, and is still attempting, a coup of the democracy of the US.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

A lot of people (possibly deliberately) dismiss the events of Jan 6th in terms of "Insurrection" on the basis that it as a stand-alone event, wasn't going to overthrow the Government.

Whilst that is clearly true , it was part of a much larger ongoing effort to undermine the process and to give some elected officials the air-cover to say "The people aren't happy , we need to listen to them" and at the same time put pressure on others to intimidate them into voting in support of the efforts to over-turn the results.

All of the information coming out in recent weeks just supports that view more and more. The "plan" from Jeffrey Clarke , the pressure being put on State level officials and the wider DOJ to "find" problems to help sell the Big lie and so on.

The events of January 6th were clearly and obviously part of that larger pressure plan.

I think they felt that BLM protests and the riots following George Floyd etc. almost gave them some level of permission for things to get violent. What they probably hoped for was that there'd be footage of "Patriots" being baton charged or hit with Pepper-spray etc. giving them more ammunition for a "deep state" take-over and Government over-reach feeding the "we wuz robbed" story arc.

However , for a variety of reasons none of that really happened and all the world saw was Trump supporters smashing windows , assaulting Police officers etc.

Trump and quite a few others are directly responsible for trying to overthrow the Democratic process in the US and should be held accountable.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

Trump will run in 2024 but it will become obvious fairly early on that Desantis will be the nomination and Trump will back him but not before being brought kicking and screaming to back him.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

There is absolutely ZERO chance that Donald Trump will stand aside for DeSantis or anybody else.

He couldn't care less about whether the GOP win or lose in the Election , he only cares about himself , if he can't win it he'll burn the whole thing down in spite (see his threat to tell his supporters to stay home in '22 if he doesn't get his way) .

If DeSantis is smart (and the jury is out there) he won't touch 2024 with a barge-pole . Politically speaking he's a very young guy (he's only 43) so he has all the time in the world. Why get into a fight with Trump in 2024 when he can just sit back and wait for 2028 when he'll be just turning 50 and Trump will be off the scene? - He'll run for re-election in Florida in 2022 and then perhaps step down in 2026 and announce then.

As it stands right now , if Trump runs in 2024 he walks the GOP nomination - Nobody with serious aspirations will run against him , also no one with visions of the big job will want to be his VP pick either.

Now , if the GOP fail to take back the House and Senate in 2022 I think Trump's time will be up and that's before you consider any possible legal issues that might apply over the next 12 months.

You can already see some in the GOP starting the talk about "we need to look forward not back" etc. as they know that if 2022 is all about 2020 and Trump they are putting themselves at serious risk of blowing it.

Trump as well as being twice impeached is also the only GOP President to preside over the loss of the House, Senate and WH in a single 4 year tenure.

If he adds blowing the 2022 elections to that list , even for the GOP the proof of him being an inveterate loser with be overwhelming.

The Republican party used to be able to move on from an ex-president because it was expected that the base would simply accept whoever the next guy was that they put up. That has changed. Trump has usurped that base and they are loyal to him now. Not the Republican party. The only way the Republican party can move on is to say they prefer decency over electability.

Totally agree - Secretly I'd say quite a few ion the GOP are hoping that Trump gets "taken off the board" as it were by one of his Legal issues.

That would be the ideal solution for them - He'd be gone and they can feign outrage and gut the Federal government in retaliation when they get the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Trump isn't even a Republican. He doesn't care about the Republican Party. If anyone thinks that he'd stand aside for DeSantis or anyone else, they should think again. It's purely a vehicle for Trump's narcissism and he'd have no issues with destroying the party if he felt that benefitted him.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

He did but when you think about it for even a second, the president had no say in who lies in state at the US capitol, which is down to at least the speaker of the house and given how the leader of the senate is involved them as well. It’s like most of his statements that when you dig down into them, they are at best factually incorrect and at worst just a word salad with a langer load of projection.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,679 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

What, and I cannot stress this enough, the **** is this all about!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

People need to forget this idea that Trump will end up in prison.

It's never gonna happen.

Just another day in the GQP. Some non-talent blathers and makes a commercial.

Speaking of Trumps. Seems the first daughter got up to no good with taxpayer $$ behind some 'food box' program that turned out to be, well, a UK-government style secret contract awarding cash slurp by well connected GQP'ers. https://coronavirus.house.gov/sites/democrats.coronavirus.house.gov/files/SSCC_Staff_Report-Farmers_to_Families_Food_Box_Program.pdf

As the program was under the aegis of the Dept. of Agriculture, it doesn't look like there'll be any charges against anyone. Pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭francois

Twitter must be quaking with fear,after the success of his last attempt. I expect much grifting.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/oct/20/donald-trump-truth-social-app-apple?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

• Registered Users Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Wait, what was Parler? Either way it'll just end up like 4chan or 8chan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Rawr

Parler was an attempt to create an alt-right clone of Twitter that would serve as an echo-chamber for Trumpists and the like. After Jan 6, they started getting de-platformed from the various app stores, and finally the Amazon AWS server they were hosting on kicked them off, essentially killing the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,679 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

What's the point of Parler or any service that's similar of scope? With Twitter, if you were an alt-right troll, you could do battle with left-wingers and draw neutrals into your way of thinking. It was just a generally good platform to reach a very wide audience. That doesn't exist with Parler. It's just trolls agreeing with each other, which must get horrendously boring. I like to imagine them sitting there, smiling through gritted teeth, desperately trying to convince themselves that it's just as good. It ain't.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

It’s like when recently people stopped using WhatsApp, unless most migrate it’s not really successful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Read that the terms of service for the site, which as with the others of its ilk, champions free speech.

Except you're not allowed to disparage the site or those behind it. Which means you can't say anything bad about the site or Trump.

FREEDUMB OF SPEACH!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement