Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Independent ie article! Madness if you drive a ten year old plus car !

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

for that sort of article, the author has to make the mental leap of discounting CO2 as 'pollution'.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

depends on your driving. my car has averaged 5.3l per 100km for the last couple of thousand km (and it seems reasonably accurate at estimating fuel consumption). that's about 120g/km.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The Irish Independent own Cartell.ie, you would think they would have an interest in keeping the older cars on the road for the history check market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

My 18 year old car has 6 airbags, traction control, stability control, leather seats, memory seats, climate control, cruise control. There's only 138,000 miles on it, and the engines in them are known for being able to pass the 200k mile mark in their sleep with proper maintenance.

The safety features it doesn't have are things I don't want my car to have, I do not want lane departure, speed limiters, blind spot, or the other rubbish you find in new cars. I find these things distracting and annoying, and so called lane keeping assistance in particular is dangerous and should not be fitted to cars IMO.

I also don't want touch screens to distract me when I'm driving, or weight heavy battery/hybrid tech to spoil the handling and make the ride less comfortable.

In short, it will do me fine for another while and it's certainly no death trap or anything even close to it.

Post edited by Leonard Hofstadter on

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

We used to supply cars to these so called "journalists" and surprising enough none of the makes/ models we supplied on behalf of the manufacturer ever got a bad write up despite some of them in my opinion being absolute **** heaps.

Any way theres one story that stuck out with me and really grated on me.One of these so called "journalists" ended up leasing a car for a year or some other wishy washy agreement I think - anyway it came with a service plan and it arrived in with around 15k on it. We recommended 2 front wipers and he asked was it covered under the service plan - (Im not aware of any service plan that covers wipers) so I told him nope they werent covered and he went apeshit after being told he`d have to bear the cost.BTW the cost of maintenance outside of the service plan was agreed before he took the car and he knew well wipers werent covered.

He said that he wasnt paying for them and within 5 minutes there was a post on twitter / facebook slating the manufacturer and I mean absolutely slating them asking why a wiper wasnt covered under a service plan.

I get a call from the head of the manufacturers press department and he says to cover the wipers - I asked who was paying and he said I should cover them for free. Since Im a stubborn fucker I said I wasnt and they could reimburse me and that I wouldnt do it for anyone else - you`d want to see them all jump . They actually drove to the warehouse to pick up the wipers and drop them out to me....Never seen so much bullshit in my life.

The point Im trying to make is that these "journalists" often get cars to "test" drive for free and arent always as independent as they should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Re: the safety of cars of various ages, a revolution in car safety started with the introduction of EuroNCAP and new statutory testing around 25 years ago. Manufacturers were forced to make major improvements with subsequent models, in particular in terms of body integrity.

A 2001 Laguna II would be a zero star car today but would be much safer than a 1996 Laguna 1 with its considerably weaker passenger compartment. The Laguna I was above average for its class at the time. But AFAIK it would have been illegal to sell the Laguna I if it had been introduced as a new vehicle after 1998 as it wouldn't have passed even the statutory EU tests.

By the time the Laguna II was introduced, Renault had gotten ahead of other manufacturers and it took some others a few years to catch up to the standards set by the Laguna II. Then there was a further lag as these cars started to enter the national car fleets and have an impact on road deaths with this becoming very apparent by about 2010 or so

If in 2021 we were all driving around in brand new, 1996 Laguna Is, perhaps road deaths would be around where they were in 2006. 365 killed in Ireland that year and even though better than previously, yeah it would be regarded as carnage today. By 2006/2007 EuroNCAP was reckoned to have already saved 78,000 lives across Europe. Obviously way more by now.

No matter how the RSA, Gardai and government try to spin road death reduction as being their own doing (building motorways, penalty points, drink driving etc.) the reduction in road deaths in Ireland will have been heavily influenced by safer cars. The logic is that other countries were way ahead of us in terms of motorways, driver training etc. yet experienced similar major reductions in road deaths as us in the same period. The factor common to every country is replacement of older cars with newer safer ones.

i wonder how many people died in this country in older cars who would have lived if they had been in newer ones but couldn't afford them due to VRT. You'll never hear that angle from the media or authorities. You might hear it from the SIMI but not because of concern for people.

At the time of introduction of EuroNCAP the British SMMT (similar to SIMI) was raging as it was a PR disaster. The tests are too tough, it's impossible to score 4 stars, they were trying to defend the appalling Rover 100 by stressing that it passed all current statutory requirements. That's business I suppose - hundreds of thousands of potentially avoidable deaths across Europe don't matter. Except when they copped on later that safety sells.

It will be interesting to see if new cars do turn out to be safer in real life even than ten year old ones. There has been considerable changes to Euro NCAP recently. New offset test and the side impact test and pole test are much harder now with a big increase in KE in the former. This will make "a" difference. but personally I think we might be well into diminishing returns by now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

My 23 year old car has no traction or stability control, no ABS and the only airbag present is me. Before each trip I face Makkah and say a decade of the rosary on Buddhist prayer beads. Just to be safe like. Though that and being a very raw experience compared to modern iron does mean I don't speed and concentrate on my driving. In a mate's Beemer 120Kph feels like walking pace, in mine it very much does not. Cars of that age tend to have fewer blind spots around pillars because, well the pillars are thinner and don't have airbags in them, for extra death and injury. It also averages around 6 liters per 100 in new money, long run going below 5, spirited driving a well engineered petrol leak. I don't do that very often. Considering it took less carbon dioxides to make, is good on go juice, uses zero oil and is still around over two decades later and would have fewer non recylable parts to it it's pretty "green".

I've had a go on a Tesla 3(4WD nutter version) and it did occur to me that it's a bit odd that if a Guard spotted me checking a text on my phone he or she could do me for it(rightfully), yet the Tesla has a feckin Imax screen stuck to the dashboard. Off centre with it. The lane assist was bloody weird alright, though I'd say that was more me being simply not used to it. Over time maybe I would? Or I would get used to it and find it irritating. Autonomous mode was well weird. You could certainly feel the weight in corners, but it was a comfortable place to sit. I could imagine with all the safety stuff going on it would be much safer overall, especially with any lapsed concentration on my part. The big thing for me was a complete and utter absence of driving feel going on though I find similar to one degree or other with most current cars.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

I have five cars currently on the road. All of which are 20+ years old. My daily to work and back is a Fiat Cinquecento. If I crash in that, nothing is saving me. Crash protection is basically non existent. So I use my experience to avoid situations which might increase the chance of an accident. Like 95% of posters on here. No motoring industry nonsense will make me take a 40k loan rather than being able to change cars as and when I feel like a change (which happens a LOT), for a fraction of that.

I let other people enjoy their new, or electric, or modern cars, and I enjoy my old ones. I accept the miniscule risk involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Murph85

I'd day the days of mass drink driving being a thing of the past also has a large enough influence on road deaths...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

It is gas how this culture of needing cars to be new has permeated society. With other types of transport this isn't the case

Here's a plane from the 60s, just one random example plucked from 100s for sale: https://www.avbuyer.com/aircraft/single-piston/cessna/182/363010

Yacht from the 80's, just sold for a few mil: https://www.moranyachts.com/luxury-yachts/octopussy/?yacht-type=luxury-yachts-for-sale

No layby's in the sea or in the sky but the people buying them don't seem to bothered. But a car from 10 years ago is a death trap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

That's not really a fair comparison though is it?

The info and testing is there to show that newer cars are considerably safer and cleaner than older cars.

You'll find plenty of classic and vintage cars for sale if that's what you're into and there's plenty of reasons to like them but you might as well be in a damp paper bag if you are in an accident. An enthusiast mightn't mind taking a chance for the enjoyment of it but lots of people put a value on that safety.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Vintage and classics aren't intended to be daily drivers for the vast majority that own one.

A brand new car is unsafe if slammed into something hard enough, they're not unbreakable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

Just bought a new ev to replace a 16 year old Mercedes’ with 376k on it. The safety systems on the new car are night and day. If everyone had a car like mine on the motorway there would likely be much less tailgating or speeding as it’s much easier to let the car do it’s thing and enjoy a coffee.

Also I’m saving about 250 euro in fuel and tax per month. So net cost to me of running brand new car is about 150 quid.

the other car in the house is an 11 year old diesel SUV. It’s only taken out when needed to tow or other car in use. It’s a very very different machine.

If an older car is being replaced by an ev. At least you get zero local emissions and less noise pollution. But this total nonsense of replacing petrol and diesel with petrol and diesel is a clear as day,money grab farce !

If they cared about the environment, they would charge more motor tax on new diesel and petrol cars. What tax is an ev now ? 120 or 170 ? Petrol and diesel are as good as the same...

EV is 120. The car it replaced was 950!

• Advertisement

Yeah, but nearly all newer petrol and diesel powers cars have paid virtually nothing in motor tax the last few years...

It's a total idiotoc policy, what do they do when virtually no one is paying any significant amount of motor tax or fuel bill...

I read yesterday that one country , has started taxing ev, by the amount of Miles done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Id genuinely be interested in how the 2001 Laguna would get a zero ncap. Can you give a fully detailed response as to how that car would score zero. Break it all down bit by bit.

The NCAP test is much tougher than it was in 2001.

this video illustrates it pretty well

https://youtu.be/vRxLlFm3VUA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

No argument on how it's tougher.

I don't buy the argument it's zero ncap I think that's commentary that is a good as the original article. Nonsense. We can all throw out nonsense statements but I'd like to see them backed up or at least retracted.

Also the video seems to crash a mid 90s people carrier with a newer one I'm not sure what it proves at all ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

This is his effort today.

I love this bit...

"However, this week’s decision to pull the €2,500 incentive on pre-ordered cars for next year shifted not just goalposts, but stadiums."

World and it's mother knows that budgets are annual and provisions like these end in December. Any salesman with half a brain would be ensuring he got his 2021 numbers by making sure customers were panicky.

But Eddie just regurgitates the shite handed to him by SIMI.

Post edited by Wildly Boaring on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

not too many examples of yachts crashing into each other at speed. and no amount of airbags will help in a plane crash.

also, it's a bit of a superficial point, you'd pay a more for a cortina from the 60s, say, than you would for a 15 year old mondeo anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

My wife to be and I have two cars, one is 3 years old, the other is 9. Both have 5 star safety rating, both give a similar MPG. The 9 year old has been in our possession for 5 years, we owe no money on it, and has been trouble free apart from standard wear and tear. We have no plans to get rid of it, why would we trade it in when its working perfectly? The age of a car is meaningless (within reason), its how well its maintained.

I agree. I don’t think 10 years is old for a car nowadays.

Mileage is far greater indicator of a car's condition

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I certainly take your point, but boats and aircraft have very different requirements and don't tend to bash into each other or objects at speed. When they do it's often game over for the occupants. The other aspect at least with aircraft are far higher and more regular maintenance requirements and "driver" training is significantly more involved. If you were to apply the same requirements to cars and drivers on the road, I'd not be surprised to see a huge dropoff in road traffic with maybe 25%(at best) of drivers being licenced. Cars and the "right" to drive was a quirk of tech and history. Way back in the 1920's say any eejit could buy a car or plane if they had the money and regulation was decidedly lax, but cars became very much cheaper so ordinary people could begin to afford to buy and run one, the same wasn't the case for aircraft. Even though driving has killed and injured far more people than planes ever have. The notion of a driving being an accepted given for an adult came along and the criteria was lax, only beefing up later on and even then pretty much any eejit can get a licence. If cars were invented in the last twenty years, again I'd bet the number of cars and drivers on the road would be massively lower.

On the other hand you do raise a good point as far as longevity. Boats and planes never became the consumerist items cars did. So boats and planes were and are bloody expensive new and were expected to a) last much longer b) be more over engineered and c) upgradeable over their life cycle. Cars became pretty expensive but effectively throwaway consumer items, with a side order of fashion, so being designed to last longer than the warranty, or be future proofed and upgradeable would have been economical suicide for manufacturers. This wasn't always the case. One of the advertising bylines for the Ford Model T was "The only car you'll ever need" and it wasn't just marketing. Take the steel used in their construction. Unlike today they used vanadium steel in its construction. In essence it's stronger and doesn't corrode to nearly the same degree as steels used in cars since. You could dig a Model T out of a swamp today and most of it would be salvagable. Anti corrosion these days is down to coatings or sacrificial galvanisation, both of which are OK but have finite lives. Today we have mroe and more EV's and the underpinings of those should last many decades compared to oil burners(electric motors should last damn near a lifetime), but guess what? They won't. The consumer beast needs to be fed.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

That video compares a car released in 1991 before NCAP even existed to a 2001 car which scored 5 stars at the time, I don't think it really illustrates the point.

No doubt NCAP has moved on and the Laguna wouldn't do as well but 0 stars is a strong statement.

Below is their current how to read the stars

So yes for higher stars you need crash avoidance which wasn't a thing in 2001 but it still has crash protection.

Safer yes, cleaner is extremely debatable. Yes EV's are considerably cleaner as far as local emissions go and the more we get renweables on the go they'll be considerably cleaner again. However if we forget the fuel for a second, new cars are not cleaner. Current cars use more resources to build than cars of ten or twenty years ago. There's more "stuff" in them for a start and they're heavier. To take an extreme example a current VW Golf GTi is damned near twice the weight of the very first one from the late 70's and has a lot more stuff in it. EV's while being far better in running environmental costs are more environmentally expensive to make in the first place.

Recycling? OK yep you can recycle the metal bits and bobs, but the plastics are quite another matter and there is a lot more plastic in current cars. The recycling marks on plastics were conjured up back in the day by the plastics industry itself because they knew they were in from a hiding from regulators so decided to get ahead of the game. The vast majority of plastics in cars(and in general life) are either not recyclable, not economically viable to do so, or can only be recycled the once in a downgraded form. I mentioned my jalopy is 23 years old earlier, well consider this; since it trundled off the production line the world had produced over half of all plastics ever. Yep. Since bakelite came out around world war one and plastics really took off in the 40's 50's and 60's, all of the world's plastic production over a century up until the year 2000 made up half of it. Twenty years on...

How do you know what years the cars are in it? Wasn’t Alhambra only first released in 95?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Anyone can have a look at the EuroNCAP site and look at the number of the revisions to procedure and protocols over 25 years. I wouldn't recommend it though unless you have hours to spend on heavy reading. In summary, incremental changes and more fundamental ones, especially post 2008, post 2014 and post 2019. The crash tests themselves, pedestrian protection, child protection, whiplash, automated braking, driver aids.

Example, the new 2021 Dacia Sandero is a 2 star car. It would be a 4 star car in terms of adult and child protection but was heavily marked down for the fact that it has "only" a radar based emergency braking system, not a radar plus camera system. It's only as good as its worst rating. Now what would a Laguna II score for its non existent emergency braking system as well as numerous other deficiencies by modern standards.

Zero stars, yeah I stand by that even considering the car's relatively strong structure, many airbags and how much better it is than a Laguna I. A minus star rating if it were possible would be appropriate for the Laguna I.

Leaving aside driver aids and pedestrian protection etc. here is just one example of a fundamental change in how cars are crash tested and how much tougher tests have become.

Side Impact test

Up to 2014: mobile barrier weighed 950 kg and travelled at a speed of 50 km/h

2015 to 2019: weight 1300 kg, speed 50 km/h

2020 on: weight 1400 kg, speed 60 km/h. That's a huge increase in kinetic energy compared to 6 years earlier.

Regardless of its star rating, a Laguna II would still be a fairly safe car in a real life crash today and as I said maybe we're into diminishing returns. If most side impacts occur at slow speeds there might not be that much real life benefit to the major change in the side impact test as described above.

• Advertisement

No amount of car safety or air bags or tech , will save people in high speed smashes... also, regarding new car safety. Allowing them go four years without a break and tyre check ?

What an absolute disgrace! Shows you its nothing other than a money grab...

Id increase motor tax substantially on new petrol and diesel in particular. Incentive scheme for taxis to go eiectric, if one isnt already in place. Nct ecery year, all cars...

Use the funds to build and fund proper rail and public transport investment...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I just checked the models here.

You can look up the reg plate, the older car is 1995 newer doesn't show up on vehicle search for some reason. Its more the model year that is relevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

In terms of safety it would appear that the advances over the last ten years are in terms of the Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS). Arguably these mitigate poor driving behaviour and poor attentiveness on behalf of the driver rather than inherently making the car safer in of itself in contrast to the likes of ABS, crumple zones, airbags etc.

Thus, assuming the driver maintains their attention on the road and drives appropriately, is a car that has them installed necessarily safer than one that doesn't? Does it skew the NCAP ratings and make cars that are really very similar in terms of safety appear to be much further apart?

No amount of car safety or air bags or tech , will save people in high speed smashes

Yes it will.

I don't believe there is a massive difference between a decently safe 10 year old car and a new car.

I do believe that car safety (inc crumple zones) and airbags save people in high speed smashes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I've yet to see a coroner's report in to a fatal car crash where they said a newer car would likely have saved the deceased. Its generally not using seatbelts as cause in 1 of 4 deaths, then speed and then alcohol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

He's a journalist and nearly the worst of all are motoring journalists who essentially write puff pieces for the vehicles they're meant to review. If there's a negative comment, it just means someone left the gift pack a bit light.

it would be beyond the competence of a coroner to state that, would it not? and i suspect it's not in the scope of their investigation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Mileage is nothing compared to service record. My cars have a 800k miles between them BUT I have about 800k pieces of paper detailing what's been done to each one, and when.

Give me a 250k car that's been well looked after over a 50k car that's just been driven MOT to MOT with the basics.

Indeed, the media and public in general have been brainwashed into thinking Co2 will kill them as they think it's pollution but I don't believe in man made climate change and think it's a load of Bo11ocks, don't care what the so called experts say, why are their ancient cities under the ocean ? that's some Ice melt if you ask me! All part of cycles and people are been brainwashed into thinking we're changing the climate , as if!

Keep telling people the same thing over and over and over and over with absolutely no counter arguments, because counter arguments are not allowed because the IPCC are Judge and Jury over what gets peer reviewed, all nonsense, Snowden caught them out and look where he ended up ? Climategate. Yes they don't believe it either but hmmm it was chatter amongst colleagues, taken out on context lol all b1llocks!

The UN have been predicting the end of the world for decades. I sure as hell don't want to be around for the next ICE age so I'll take a nice warmer climate any day, just wish we'd get more blue skies, couldn't care less after that!

• Advertisement

It's easy, cut the spending!

They want us spending thousands to install solar pv and insulation ? any excess energy goes to the grid for free ??? then they want us buying heat pumps total cost of retrofit could be nearer 30 K in an older house like mine ? so someone with a 90% oil or 95% efficient boiler has to then use peak rate electricity to power the heat pump ? + run it with electricity that comes mostly from Gas ?

Grants cost a lot of money.

This island is bleeding money while we pay huge amounts of tax, cut the spending on nonsense, cut carbon tax, if there are viable alternatives people will use them.

I drive EV for 7 years now because it suits me and costs me very little to run with work charging. I bought new last Tuesday and have over 1000 Kms on it already, I'm saving a lot of money over even the most efficient diesel. If buying new EV makes sense or at least worth a look, not saying people should go an buy ev, not at all but if buying new it's worth a look.

If no one buys new there won't be any 2nd hand. Grants make sense for EV at this time because of the cost but also because if someone is buying a new car anyway then EV is worth a look, especially with the range you can get today.

totally agree that if buying new, not at least considering an EV now is madness...

Indeed, the media and public in general have been brainwashed into thinking Co2 will kill them as they think it's pollution but I don't believe in man made climate change and think it's a load of Bo11ocks, don't care what the so called experts say, why are their ancient cities under the ocean ? that's some Ice melt if you ask me! All part of cycles and people are been brainwashed into thinking we're changing the climate , as if!

The "ancient cities under the ocean" are a) not cities and b) mostly structures that were inundated after the last ice age ended or due to more instant geological processes. However it's likely we've already changed the climate. Namely those ice ages I mentioned. They followed a pretty predictable cycle of advance and retreat until we came along in big numbers, cleared forests and started large scale farming changing the environment locally and globally. The current interglacial is longer than expected. Now one thing that drives these ice ages are CO2 levels in the atmosphere. Values over the last million years have run between IIRC 160 parts per million to 300. Lower means glacial, higher means interglacial. we passed the 400PPM levels in the last century, so we've likely extended this interglacial way beyond the natural.

There are plenty of examples of more local human driven environmental and climate change in history. The dust bowls of America, the city of Troy is miles away from the coast it once sat on, the collapse of the Mayans through over farming, Easter islanders totally buggering up their lives and so on. One of the earliest laws ever written down was in the sumerian city of Uruk and it was a law to protect trees because even way back then they understood that screwing with the environment has major consequences.

So you "don't care what the so called experts say"? Clearly, as your post comes across as simplistic and clueless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I'm not saying they were, i'm just countering people shiting on saying my 20 year old car is pottering along fine and it's every bit as good as a much newer car.

Look, it probably is mechanically doing fine and it's commendable that it's being kept on the road for whatever reason but lets not act like it's as good in terms of road safety as a new car because it has ABS and 4 airbags.

Until recent i had a 2012 Golf for a number of years which had ABS and 6 airbags.

If you look at a 2021 Golf 10 years newer than it, it still has ABS and stability control and a huge number of airbags but it has a raft of better tech. A forward facing radar for emergency braking if it thinks you aren't going to that will also regulate your distance from the car in front in cruise control. Lane assist encase you drift out of lane and driver fatigue monitoring encase you are drifting off to sleep. Travel assist to regulate your speed and steering angle. Cornering lights to help you see better into corners or bends. In fact in a new Golf if there is an ABS or harsh braking event noted it will even close the windows and sunroof while it's braking for better occupant potection. The parking sensors in a new VW wont even allow you reverse into a wall anymore.

As Clarkson says, speed never killed anyone, it's suddenly becoming stationary that gets you and the laws of physics and biology havn't changed in that regard but the newer car will do a lot more work on your behalf to avoid situations that will make you "suddenly stationary" and thats before you get into crumple zones and better protection technology to keep the passenger cell intact.

If you are interested in passive and active safety tech, a newer car, generally is streets ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭lalababa

Eddie cunningham s the 'journos' name. Getting people buying new cars is his game.

PCP here we go,

Shiny metal and plastic ,

A new car we can show,

Gratuitous and on the tick.

Notice how he repeats the new car and the 3yr old car mantra. Alot of pcp rollovers happen after 3 years.

Notice how he repeats the new car and the 3yr old car mantra. Alot of pcp rollovers happen after 3 years.

Bingo! Nail on the head. He's an industry shill like so many of them in the mainstream media.

• Advertisement

I don't believe in man made climate change and think it's a load of Bo11ocks, don't care what the so called experts say

reminds me of this.

Simply saying Co2 is driving any climate change is clueless if you ask me, there are so many variables in our climate but the primary driver is the Sun.

The facts remain that we are clueless as to what the climate was like in any particular centaury, who's to say any particular cycle should be the same as another ?

Ireland is a prime example of complete deforestation, not that I agree with destroying our planet, there are other issues like actual pollution and plastics and rubbish tipping which is rampant in Ireland.

I read recently where a large proportion of School Children/Teenagers are depressed because of climate change, well, what would be better for them would be to put the phone down and live life without worrying about the planet. They should be more worried about screen addiction and the rest of us lol.

Species come and go and we're no different! humans are here a long time, me, a short time so I'm not going to spend the rest of my time worrying about bullshit on this earth, but I do laugh that they are taking in so much tax money in the name of stopping climate change, as if anything we do has any impact on this Island but yet we've to pay when mostly there are no alternatives, sad, pathetic muppets our Government. Taxation is the only way out of climate change ?

And by the way, the NOAA satellite data does not support the theory of Climate change, as it shows there's no great increase in the earths temp since 1979, when the satellite was launched, land based data is corrupted, altered, manipulated to suit agendas. The facts also remain that the IPCC email leak showed they don't even believe the bullsh1t but they can't back down, after all, what would the world think of them ? their credibility would be shattered forever.

It's around as warm now as in 2003,

These news sensationalist headlines "it broke a record 0.1 degree for 1 hr", proof of warming" ?bla bla,

Mad lad. You are talking absolute rubbish! Nearly everything you’ve posted is completely wrong. For one thing they do know what climate was like going back millions of years

Anyway back to the original post the article was extremely badly written.

Id usually keep a car a long time and only change for very good reason I honestly don’t know how long we will hold on to the ev as it’s very much emerging tech. the cars should last a long time in theory. it’s the software that might date

Look at the satellite data fits......

You're sure I'm wrong ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement