Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Yeah, my wife had the lifeshine thing thrown in with her T-Roc early this year and the best part about it was the bag of goodies left in the boot. Probably at least €100-120 worth of autoglym products in a nice zipped up man bag.

Some of that stuff isn’t bad in fairness, quick detailing spray is handy and there’s tyre shine gel, tar remover, etc.

i just don’t believe any of the nonsense “lifeshine” claims. There is no such thing imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Dealers have a very healthy margin on upselling that sort of stuff. You then have to contend with is the youngster working part time in the valeting bay going to apply it without actually damaging the paintwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Cetera

Thanks Lads. All very helpful. I’ll do a bit more research into the ceramic before purchasing.

I decided to go with an R in stock, which had slightly less spec, rather than pay €2500-€3000 more for a car that would likely arrive in March 2022 at the earliest. So, I cancelled my production order.

Spec now:

• Lapiz
    • Reversing Camera
    • Performance Pack
    • Pano sunroof
    • Winter pack

I’ll be missing out on DCC and the black pack. DCC was hard to let go, but my old R didn’t have it so I know what to expect.

I’ll have it next week at some stage :)

Very nice!

I think the performance pack gives you the 19” estorils, right?

As for DCC, in my short experience so far, I kinda find it hard to tell much difference between the modes from a suspension comfort perspective.

Yeah, I get the 19” estorils with the PP. Good to hear your experience of DCC so far. Pretty much all the reviews and articles I’ve read say that DCC is a must.

I’ll post a few pictures once I get the keys. I held onto the 0% fianance and have a service pack thrown in too - happy out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Sounds like you struck a decent deal, is it the car in Pierses?

It sure is! In my experience over the years, they’ve always been great to deal with.

probably not too many other R’s on the forecourts at the moment.

Nice one, a friend of mine was in the showroom recently and sent me on pics of it. It looks incredible I must say. The seem to have sold already few too.

Will be good to hear real world ownership experiences from a former MK7 R owner.

Yeah, I'll be interested in hearing your initial thoughts on the new car too Cetera. Very best of luck with it.

A definite tip, install the "WeConnect" app on your phone now and register/login. If you have the VIN of the car you can add it to your account. Then the fun begins - you need to sit into the car when you get it and set yourself up as the "primary user" directly on the infotainment unit itself. Some people have had no hassle doing this, but for some reason it was a bit of an ordeal for me. If you don't do this, you'll be plagued with notifications/warning pop ups and various features in the car won't be enabled.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I really liked the look of it as soon as I saw it in the flesh. All those comments about design “flaws” are redundant when you see the whole car in person.

My old R order will likely be kept by Pierse Motors for those looking at an R for next year.

I’ll give you a summary of my feedback after a few days driving.

Joe, thanks for the tip RE WeConnect! I’ll get the VIN number from Pierse’s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

Must have changed in the mk8 because there is a massive difference between the modes on the mk7.

Comfort was really soft, great for a long journey, sport slightly too stiff for roads over the West.

I haven't driven the car enough yet Neil to say with any certainty, but I probably expected a more dramatic difference. Maybe its down to individual perception. I'll have a long run up to Mayo next weekend so I'll get a better idea then.

A car on 19" wheels with a wide 35" profile tyre is never going to ride like a limo though, certain laws of physics can't be overcome.

Actually, scratch that, I think you're right after all Neil!

Took the missus out for a nice long spin there at lunch and I put it into "individual" mode with the suspension set to the softest setting. There are 15(!!) levels. The car feels way more compliant at the max comfort setting, its very noticeable alright. The roads around my house here aren't the best. Even herself commented. I have mainly had it in the "Nurburgring" mode and that is definitely on the harsher side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I found in individual mode on the DCC if you set to comfort and drove a familiar road and let it there for a few mins and then put it all to way to sport you could see a massive difference in stiffness between the settings.

My dealer threw in the auto glym bag but I gave it to her to use on her car. It's a nice bit of free kit but you'd be better off getting your own stuff.

thats what I did today alright Gav. Not sure why I didn’t notice it so much before. I think it’s more apparent when you do it in Individual mode rather than flicking between Comfort/Sport.

• Advertisement

Ya I tried it one day on a long spin and after a few mins went from far left, comfort to far right, sport and it was bloody harsh.

Like bone rattling stiff but if you start it in sport, I find it doesn't seem as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Is the Mk8 really that harsh? These cars have never had a reputation for being harsh like a Type R would. I've driven a Cupra albeit briefly on the harshest setting and didn't find it that bad but maybe the previous cars were easier on the firm setting.

Compared to the Fiesta I had, which was dropped 30mm, the GTi is like a Rolls Royce 😂

I don't find it too firm at all, I regularly keep mine in Sport/Nurburgring or individual, which has the suspension setting about 75% dialled towards sports.

I had been used to driving the wife’s soft SUV (T-Roc) only sporadically for the last 12-18 months so anything less than an air sprung mattress feels harsh. I’ll be taking the GTI on a few long spins over the coming weekends to get more accustomed to it. At the moment it barely gets used Mon-Fri due to WFH.

Picked it up this evening!! Will report back in a few days after some driving. The Lapiz paint is just incredible in person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Press enter after loading the link to embed the pictures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Killinator

So incredibly jealous.

That's superb!

Well wear

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Delicious. Very jelly I am.

added here too

Looks great!

That looks fantastic Cetera. Well wear and best of luck with it.

I'd love a look around it some time so if I meet you on the road, I'll be the crazy person in the MK7 waving you down😂

Haha no problem Hooch. If there’s ever a thread meet up, I’ll come along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭User1998

It looks outstanding. I’m really liking the wheels on the mk8, they fill the arches nicely

• Registered Users Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Very nice! The spoiler looks massive from the side. Not seeing many in blue these days so it's nice to see it again. Looks great.

Passenger seems to be gesturing with excitement too :D

The big rear spoiler makes a huge difference for sure. The same spoiler is standard on the CS but you need to spend 2k+ on the R to get it!

Sadly that blue is no longer exclusive to the R. I see it on R-Line Passat's and Tiguan's these days.

• Advertisement

Hell, even the R badge itself is not exclusive to the R these days with the R Line versions dropping the 'Line' from the badge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,627 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Yep,

See below example for sale. R badge shamelessly stuck on the front and seats on a car that is most definitely not an R:

I already get people asking me if my car is a genuine R-Line. The people who you want to know the difference will know.

100% people who know will know.

Just dilutes the badge a bit to have it stuck on cars that are a long way down the ladder in comparison I reckon.

I have had a few people taking photos in the cars behind me in traffic, so it’s got the “head-turner” appeal 😂

So this crowd bought this, stuck a few extra bits of tack on, horrible knock off wheels and chinese tyres and slapped a €5k price hike on top. Car looks horrific if you ask me but I'm sure someone will like it.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2016-161-vw-golf-r-300bhp-3dr-ultra-rare-manua/29504865

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Saw that on their Instagram and thought it was overkill - like most of the other cars they are selling.

I commented on the wheels but they deleted it. Seems they can't take any criticism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭User1998

And you have to pay an extra €950 if you want the wheels😂

Just spotted that now, they are 20" in one part of the ad and 19" in another? Also, looking at that finance offer 132 a week over 5 years with 15k down, that's pretty much a new Clubsport. €132k a week with €15k down is a cost of credit of 14k, something can't be right with that. Must have edited another ad and left that finance offer in it.

Award winning dealer my h0le.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Definitely a copy and paste ad. Also mentions it being 141. 35k for a 6 year old car with 64k km on it, and there’s now two newer versions. Prices have gone mad. I know someone who got 40k for a fully loaded low mileage 181 Golf R in Jan and they thought they got a very good deal 🤦🏻‍♂️.

After 250km, my thoughts so far:

Design:

• I love the look of it (I know that’s subjective), even more than my MK7
    • Lapiz is very striking
    • 19” Estoril alloys look great (glad I didn’t end up with the black alloys as originally spec’d)
    • The rear wing gives it a really sporty look; a little more aggressive looking than my MK7
    • Definitely a premium feel to the car (and there’d want to be for the price of it)
    • I don’t think I like the lightbar across the grille

Ride and Handling:

• Driving position seems much improved in the sense you feel lower to the ground (maybe because the car is lower than the MK7)
    • You can really feel the torque vectoring on cornering; you can feel it push the car around. It’s very noticeable
    • Steering seems similar to the MK7 to be honest - I’ve haven’t noticed much of a difference
    • Non-DCC - it seems pretty ok so far, and I’ve driven a mix of backroads and main roads. Definitely would have preferred DCC, but my MK7 was way harsher over bumps (19” Pretoria). It might be too early to say though

Performance:

• to be determined after a bit more of a run in
    • Modes:
    • Drift - I will probably never use it
    • Special - I don’t have the DCC so it will be somewhat limited

Sound:

• Less artificial sounding than my MK7, with more pops and bangs on the overrun from the exhaust. But like all performance Golfs, it’s pretty quiet most of the time

Technology:

• No software issues so far - all working very well. The WeConnect set up didn’t raise any issues
    • No lag from the infotainment
    • Lane assist is annoying and you have to remember to turn it off each time, but there is a shortcut on the left indicator lever
    • My biggest frustration is getting to grips with the climate control. The lack of physical buttons for the climate control is just annoying
    • Wireless CarPlay is a dream
    • Screen resolution is great
    • Haptic buttons on the steering wheel are not a major annoyance. They work fine, but would rather physical buttons.

Interior:

• Seats are very comfortable and hold you in better than the MK7 seats
    • The choice of Ambient lighting is great
    • Materials feel pretty good with some hard plastic in places.

In short, I love it :) It feels like a big improvement over the MK7. Do the improvements in the MK8 justify the price difference? Probably not, but I am very happy with my purchase.

There’s probably some things I haven’t covered but I’ll follow up again in a few weeks.

Nice overview Cetera and I’d echo most of your observations so far, especially:

• seating position is definitely better, it’s the first thing I noticed - lower slung, less perched up than MK7 and the dash feels like it wraps around you too.
    • much fruitier exhaust farts
    • infotainment - totally agree with you re the climate controls. If they’d only left those in a separate panel, even a touch screen one like in the new Tiguan, it would have been far better imo.
    • wireless CarPlay - brilliant
    • cabin ambience is really nice, esp at night with the configurable ambient lighting
    • Not that keen on the light bar either!

One thing I’ve found is, on a cold start, you can’t just hop into the car and go. You need to wait for the infotainment to boot up and do its thing first before you can adjust climate / heated seats etc, then remember to disable lane assist, etc. It’s almost like having to do a bunch of pre-flight checks!

Yeah, I agree. All minor frustrations really, and I don’t think they take away from the car at all.

The Lane assist is dangerous to be honest. I had a close call this morning on a background with no road markings - the car pulled me over right but thankfully there was no oncoming traffic :/

I noticed the cold start preparation this morning, now that you say it. There’s so much to set up before driving off

• Advertisement

Yeah. There is a touch of novelty factor about it too at the moment, playing around with different settings, etc. I'm always changing the drive-Mode setting back and forth from "special" to Individual" and experimenting with different dash dials layout etc..

“Sure there’ll be very few of these on the road”….. 4 days later after purchase…..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Looks fantastic Cetera! Have to say the looks of the mk8 have grown on me a lot, looks really well in the performance models with a good alloy choice. I still think I’d find the climate control being on the touchscreen really annoying. Handily on my BMW I was able to turn off lane assist day 1 and the car keeps the setting indefinitely. Is there an option to code it off permanently on the Golf?

Yep you can code it to remember your last setting. It’s on my to-do list!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

@Cetera - your R looks fantastic! Well wear!

• Advertisement
Advertisement