Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Farrell wants to see how the discussion on boards.ie plays out, to be confident he's picking the right guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I do think that starting for your province should be the benchmark for international call ups! My point with HB is, he is only selected purely on potential and the fact that none of the others have shown they can be the future 10.

I hope Doak gets to train with the squad, Prendergast too! These lads are ones for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Someone made a great point about rushing kids through the system. Instead of learning their trade at a slower pace and picking up experience. Their focus switches from learning to surviving the rigors of international and club rugby. In effect, they stop learning and become limited.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

The England games showed progress that can hopefully be continued. The strike move for Earls was class. We showed really good patience on phase play, good examples of changing the point of attack (Aki with some really nice passing, which you wouldn't necessarily associate with him), variation (Earls stepping in at first receiver) and and some off the cuff stuff too.

We even had Conan scoring on penalty advantage. That Sexton didn't kick away. Which he apparently does every single time.

But I don't know how you expect anyone to take you seriously when you roll out the "car park, underage AIL side" auld shite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Prendergast picked up a nasty looking injury at the weekend.

Doak though should be involved I think. Farrell hasn’t been slow in bringing guys in. Harry Byrne being a perfect example. I’d be confident he’ll be there, even just to be in the set-up and training with the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,091 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Would rather we didn't persist with McCloskey in the squad. He's never gonna be good enough. Plays a veey similar role to Aki as well. Could've been a good chance to have a look at Frawley.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Ciaran-Irl

Why does Munster have him down as 1.93m (which isn't 6'4 incidentally) on their own site? https://www.munsterrugby.ie/player?PlayGuid=FW155642

He simply isn't big enough to play in the row.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Player stats are notoriously inaccurate when picked off the internet. They aren’t really worth bothering with.

1.93 is 6.4

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It is for the most part, but ultimately coaches will both evaluate players differently and have different requirements. Once the player is getting decent gametime at the province it doesn't really matter if 1st choice or 2nd choice.

Mike Ross anchored the Ireland scrum for the entirety of the 2015 6N despite not even making the Leinster 23 for the European games as he was behind Moore and Furlong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,795 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I honestly think if McCloskey was given a run of matches you'd see a totally different player in green. But that's a luxury that international coaches can ill afford to give. It's a pity as he could be a weapon at test level in terms of getting Ireland over the gain line.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

Jaysis we are goosed if our future is the likes of Prendergast. He simply isn't good enough. 105kg lock with 11 starts for Connacht. Same with Fineen. Neither should be in the squad. Solid young pros, miles away from being proper internationals. They are Billy Hollands mark ii, a million miles away from some of our best locks even in the darkest amateur days.

I think at this stage i'd be massivley worried for the NZ game, and Irish rugby in general.

Doak looks class just get him involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Ciaran-Irl

It isn't actually. It's 6.332021 ft to be exact. So I'd call that 6'3. Photos of two lads hugging are also notoriously inexact and not worth bothering with. Either way, he's just not tall enough. Like Soroka, he'll hopefully be an excellent flanker, but he won't ever be a top level second row.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Happyhouse22

Haha definitely logged on to see the “Is 1.93m equal to 6 foot 3 or 6 foot 4 debate.”

So much better than the Sexton v O’Gara debate..

Anyoen else blame the new site update?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Do you watch rugby games or just read player profiles? Prendergast is a blindside, and if you have seen him play you should know that he's more than physical enough for the position. Anyway, he's injured so it's a moot point.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Prendergast has lined out exclusively at 6 for the Connacht senior team

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

yeah thats fair he's a number 6 exclusively i am wrong. I thought he was a lock playing 6. he's played well this season, stats wise. but he's nowhere near the squad at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭ShineyShiney

So you haven't watched him but he's nowhere near the squad☺️ this place cheers me up everytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭EachSmallChime

The guy is literally 21 with only 11 (genuinely promising) starts and you're writing him off ever being an international. This thread lads...

Post edited by EachSmallChime on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Sorry wasn’t trying to get into a pedantic argument but it’s about the thickness of a finger nail off 6.4, it’s about 1mm less than 6.4. Anyone that height would certainly say they were 6.4.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭jacothelad

1.93m = 75.984251968503 inches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Backs (18)

Bundee Aki (Connacht/Galwegians) 31 caps

Robert Baloucoune (Ulster/Enniskillen) 1 cap

Harry Byrne (Leinster/Lansdowne) 1 cap

Joey Carbery (Munster/Clontarf) 24 caps

Craig Casey (Munster/Shannon) 3 caps

Andrew Conway (Munster/Garryowen) 25 caps

Keith Earls (Munster/Young Munster) 93 caps

Ciaran Frawley (Leinster/UCD)*

Jamison Gibson Park (Leinster) 10 caps

James Hume (Ulster/Banbridge) 1 cap

Hugo Keenan (Leinster/UCD) 13 caps

Jordan Larmour (Leinster/St Mary’s College) 30 caps

James Lowe (Leinster) 6 caps

Stuart McCloskey (Ulster/Bangor) 5 caps

Conor Murray (Munster/Garryowen) 89 caps

Garry Ringrose (Leinster/UCD) 34 caps

Johnny Sexton (Leinster/St Mary’s College) 99 caps CAPTAIN

Simon Zebo (Munster/Cork Constitution) 35 caps

Forwards (20)

Ryan Baird (Leinster/Dublin University) 5 caps

Finlay Bealham (Connacht/Buccaneers) 16 caps

Tadhg Beirne (Munster/Lansdowne) 22 caps

Jack Conan (Leinster/Old Belvedere) 20 caps

Gavin Coombes (Munster/Young Munster) 2 caps

Ultan Dillane (Connacht/Corinthians) 19 caps

Caelan Doris (Leinster/St Mary’s College) 9 caps

Tadhg Furlong (Leinster/Clontarf) 49 caps

Cian Healy (Leinster/Clontarf) 109 caps

Iain Henderson (Ulster/Academy) 63 caps

Rob Herring (Ulster/Ballynahinch) 22 caps

Ronan Kelleher (Leinster/Lansdowne) 13 caps

Dave Kilcoyne (Munster/UL Bohemians) 45 caps

Peter O’Mahony (Munster/Cork Constitution) 76 caps

Tom O’Toole (Ulster/Ballynahinch) 1 cap

Andrew Porter (Leinster/UCD) 37 caps

James Ryan (Leinster/UCD) 37 caps

Dan Sheehan (Leinster/Lansdowne)*

Nick Timoney (Ulster/Banbridge) 1 cap

Josh van der Flier (Leinster/UCD) 32 caps

*denotes uncapped player

Development Players

Thomas Ahern (Munster/Shannon)

Jamie Osborne (Leinster/Naas)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I'm so mad I could spit

Now, have to check the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,760 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Read that as Zebo being captain for a second..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I notice Henshaw isn't there. I haven't been paying any attention to rugby media recently so might have missed an injury, but not good. On the other hand, it is a big change for Frawley at Leinster at least. Good to see Frawley in the squad even if he doesn't get gametime, the game against Scarlets shows what having someone with his skillset can do for us at 12.

Other than that it's just a big list of everyone who is fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Good squad. Plenty of youngsters.

Interesting that Henshaw is omitted but is rehabbing with Ireland rather than Leinster so they must be hoping he'll be available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Stockdale is out.. injured?

My only fault with the team is the 3rd choice scrum half so happy enough

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭roverjoyce

Remember this day when the World Cup arrives in 2 years

Teams are starting their 2 year cycle now, while Ireland pander to the central contacts and aging players

England are already in World Cup mode while Ireland seem to have forgotten bout it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Surprised Doak wasn't brought in as a development player. Not much to get too upset about in that squad though I think. Looks like both Burns and Carty are out of the picture though and they are going with Carbery and HByrne. Risky given their form and injury profiles.

Advertisement