Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claire Byrne and Farage

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭franciscanpunk

Funnily enough Farage and UKIP\Brexit party or whatever other sh1te they uaed to call themselves would probably have benefited a lot in some elections from a PR vs FPTP elwction scenario. I recall them getting something like 1 or 2 of 630 off MP seats but actually roughly 10% of the overall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,118 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I don't think his "up the Ra" was accidental at all. I believe he thought it would be a jingoistic slogan to get him some traction in Ireland.

I think that, in his ignorance, his shallow understanding was that "the Ra" were freedom fighters fighting against the control of a foreign oppressor. He believed that that mindset was still prevalent here and he thought he could channel that towards the EU "foreign oppressor".

Claire Byrne was 100% correct to pull him up on his shite and fair play to her for doing it

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

She is embarrassingly rubbish at her job.

Probably should stick with the late night chat show format. She's not really built for this head-to-head serious type stuff.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,421 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Farage is not worth listening too and he is total tit, but a proper presenter would have destroyed him the other night, Byrne is nowhere near good enough to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,015 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Touché, couldn't put it better myself 😁

This show is truely awful, the mock ups during the pandemic where just bizzare. It's full of gimmicks and utter nonsense that treats its audienceslike children, more suitable as an afternoon feel good (stupid) show.

Hard to take seriously as is her Radio show that moves from alledged serious public interest stories, to the latest trends in the world of Knitting, back to a local interest story, back to a discussion on why your Victoria sponge hasn't risen to the occasion.

What was once the premier current affairs radio program has desended into 2 hours of home economics, beauty and fashion tips fest, already adequately and awfully covered in the afternoons.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,903 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

How do ye really feel about her? 😁

Farage has sat in front of plenty journalists, unfortunately, few are unwilling, or maybe unable to get the better of him. Claire did better than most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,015 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Apologies, forgot to mention, can't abide her 😁😁

I just felt Farage achieved what he wanted, controversy so in that respect he won (odious invidious individual he is I might add)

Just find it hard to take Claire Byrne seriously, I was kinda waiting for her to ask Farage about his spotted dick recipe 🤣

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,640 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Well, we don't know. In an election in which they had any real chance of winning seats, it's possible that fewer people would have voted for them.

If — as I believe — their vote was largely a protest vote, it's possible that people vote for them safe in the knowledge that they are registering their protest without risking affecting the election result. The UKIP vote general election vote peaked in 2015 at 12.6%, but an analysis of that vote shows that it was highest in seats which were safe for either Labour or the Tories - i.e. people were much more willing to vote UKIP where was no real chance of UKIP winning but, where UKIP could win, voters were much more reluctant to vote for them. That suggests that, if the UK had a more democratic electoral system which attached more equal weight to all votes, UKIP would probably have got many fewer votes (but, I would guess, would still have got more seats than the 1 which they did in fact get).

• Registered Users Posts: 34,421 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No she hasn't. She played a video clip that a 5 year old could press a button to that.

It just annoys me more cause I can't stand him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I'd have preferred the UK to have remained but I don't get the animosity towards Nigel Farrage?

One person can't force millions of people to vote BREXIT, there was long a euro sceptic wing of the population in the UK

Never close to the same positivity we have always had towards the EU, we have to realise not every nation of people view things like us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Relax brah

Didn’t realise we had so many pro-brexiteers on this forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,944 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

So you don't get the animosity towards someone who lied through his teeth to bring about something you are against.

"I don't like Brexit but" has become the new "as a gay man myself" on this site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Yes, because he's the only politican who ever lied

So we just can't dislike any politician then ?

He put himself way out into the spotlight with inflammatory and outlandish comments so it makes sense that all the extra attention he courts leads to extra negative attention

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

IN regards to the interview, a huge tick in the box for RTE. It is all over the internet and even its own thread here. The publicity for Claire Byrne is at an all time high, so fair play to her. It looks like she seen an angle and smashed it. Would be hilarious if it came out they only booked Farage after the "Up da Ra" video because they it would prove they only booked him to make him look like an ass

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

What was the reason they had Nigel on the show?

Claire Byrne was out of her depth interviewing Mr. Farage.

RTE is our national broadcaster and should show more sense.

They also have Farage wishing Gerard Adams a happy 71st birthday, looking forward to seeing him and some of the old team in Brighton at "tiocfaidh ár lá" pub

That's wasn't the significant element of the interaction, the significant element was telling him very bluntly that he hasn't a clue about any sort of a significant mindset and has no basis to be talking like he does.

Claire Byrne was out of her depth interviewing Mr. Farage.

Clearly, she wasn't.

She seems to have kicked his ass twice now on her show, I don't watch her personally but can't see how she was out of her depth. Farage came out the worst on both interviews

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

It was just ‘Gerard’ that he wished happy birthday to. Bit pathetic that people are getting kicks from having him say Irish slang, as if not knowing an IRA slogan disqualifies him from having an opinion.

For the slow learners, I am not expressing support for Farage. In fact, I think he is a buffoon. But as with some Democrat behaviour in response to Trump, it’s useful to see how your own side behaves in response to provocation. I have been repeatedly disappointed on that score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,683 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Clip in question, this Cameo stuff doesnt seem to be going well for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,118 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Most people on here won't have a "side" insofar as not being British or eligible to vote. I think the UK were very silly to vote for Brexit and I'm entitled to laugh at one of the main protagonists making an eejit out of himself for a relatively small amount of money.

For a gimp who goes around proselytizing over "unelected" foreigners telling citizens what to do, he sure likes trying lecture Irish people on their history and trying to tell them what to do. So it is nice to see him being pulled up as wholly ignorant on even basic aspects of that history.

The only surprise is that his research on the topic didn't even extend as far as the Rubberbandits' accurate and educational "Up the Ra". Maybe next time he wants to educate us about our history and culture, he can pull a few quotes from it. 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

They have only ever won 1 seat in a general election and that was Carswell in 2014 and he was defending a seat he had held as a Tory. Any other mid term Tory ship jumper lost his seat in the next election.

Why can't people just have a laugh off it. That's all we are doing is making jokes on a forum.

Far far more benign than the treatment Corbyn got. Youde swear he planted bombs the way the media and Tory voters went on.

I'm not buying your "I don't like him" thing for one second. You wouldn't be so upset about a few jokes if you honestly didn't like him

What is the fascination with Farage?

It would much more useful to just air footage of Enoch Powell's speeches/interviews. At least he had an impressive academic career (professor by 25) and military background (brigadier by 30). Massive bigot and racist but much more interesting than Farage holding a pint of ale aloft.

Your commitment to your prejudices is genuinely bizarre. I’ve called Farage a clown and a buffoon and likened him to Trump. What more can I do?

YOur comments are always of the "I hate Farage but" variety.

To paraphrase Larry David everything before the "but" is BS.

You also claim Ireland is currently majority pro EU only because we are anti English

• Advertisement

You don’t deserve my time, so let’s wrap this up quickly.

I’m having to qualify my comments with expressions of dislike for Farage only because people like you are unreasonably interpreting criticism of Byrne as support for Farage. It’s ludicrous to claim my ‘but’ in calling Farage a buffoon shows I think the opposite

I said Ireland is ‘staunchly pro-Europe’ because of its anti-English sentiment. You characteristically misconstrue what I said. You need only recall the two failed referendums in a decade and animosity to the Troika to know that Ireland has not always been so positive towards the EU.

You have given me numerous reasons to believe I should have ignored you from the start.

Advertisement