Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Yeah, very few, if any, notable omissions. Billy Burns is about it. Would have been good to see Ben Healy in the development group but can understand why he isn’t there.

EDIT: Doak too I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Thomas Aherne and Jamie Osborne as development players is unreal for their development,

Frawley is another great inclusion - assuming the man can stay fit.

ZEBO! ZEBO!

From what little I've seen of Sheahan this season, his throwing hasn't been as much of an issue as last year - so happy to see him there if that's the case.

Only negative in my opinion is Dillane; who had a terrible Summer series and is a known quantity at this stage. Don't think Whycherly and Moloney were the answers mind, and I know this place would've erupted if Kleyn had been chosen; but I think Dillane is another player that doesn't offer a whole lot at international level - and we'd've been better of choosing another option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

This place is just a steamy turd the last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

No real surprises? Delighted for Ahern and Osborne! No Doak is disappointing and I thought Prendergast might be squeezed in.

I think Healy may see his 1st action at th! He can prolong his career, if he's up for it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

A third of a foot is 4 inches. If you're going to persist with stupid measurements you need to know fractions.

• Advertisement

No Burns or Carty? Surprised with Burns omission. Looks like Carberry is still the heir apparent! HB will probably only see a few minutes off the bench. I assume he will play for Leinster this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Conor15th

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Conor15th

Cannot understand how Carty isn’t getting at least a look in

• Registered Users Posts: 17,795 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Typical 38 man squad or whatever it is. Not much to get outraged over.

As an Ulster fan I'm surprised Stockdale isn't in there, I read that he was back for Ulster this weekend and would also have liked to see Doak named in the development squad as I think he would benefit from the exposure. Actually the more I think about that the more I think it's an opportunity missed.

Good recognition for Timoney's form who might get some minutes with Connors missing.

Also pleased to see Hume in there. I think he might surprise a few non Ulster fans. He's a classy player. With Henshaw out and Farrell not in the squad he will almost certainly see some gametime.

From a more broader view I'm disappointed that Henshaw is out.

Obviously Healy is there, but will we see a front row of Porter, Kelleher and Furlong at any point. How exciting is that.

I think we're developing a really powerful pack, when you consider the second row options and also at 6 and 8, we're maybe missing a bit at 7 so will be fascinating to see where we go in terms of selection there, fully expect Van Der Flier to start, but will Farrell opt for O'Mahony.

I hope we see a lot of Craig Casey at 9 during the Autumn as well. I'd have him on the bench for all 3 matches as he could really up the tempo in the final 20-30 mins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

Happy with that squad. Delighted to see Sheehan in, he's quality. Balacoune gets another chance, thankfully! Thought Doak may have got in, but too early for him.

Lots of quality overall with plenty of youth.

• Administrators Posts: 53,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Doak will gain more playing for and training with Ulster than he will holding tackle bags for Ireland. He's barely out the door a wet week, he's only 19, plenty of time for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,969 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Because unlike all the daft commentary in the media around his one good game at the weekend, the reality is, he is completely inconsistent and has a much longer way to go to prove he deserves a place in an international squad again.

For Carty, see Burns too.

With all three of Sexton, Zoolander and Harry Byrne being injury-prone I can definitely possibly see Frawley picking up some minutes at stand-off. If he doesn't get injured himself, that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

POM continues his herpes like hold on squad spots. I love that the argument is made against Carty being inconsistent, and then along comes Peter.

Don't know how you can bring Casey and Murray over Blade either tbh, he's been the form scrumhalf for the last season or so. Happy that Bealham is getting a look in, and Frawley too. Surprised that Lowry hasn't been brought up. Lowe has done nothing to warrant a spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,969 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Frawley is listed firmly as a Centre on the coverage of the announcement. I'd say either Ross Byrne or Billy Burns would be parachuted in ahead of him in the event of two of the three 10s selected going down with injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Zebo in. Party at Teferi's.

Agree re: Lowe. He's just not as good as we thought! Boards will be great if he starts ahead of Zeebs! I would pick Zeebs myself.

JGP being trusted again! I think he's good enough off the bench, but he's in a logjam with Luke, Marmion and Blade. Perhaps Farrell has settled on JGP for the future. Casy is well deserved. He will kick on and I think he gets by Murray over the next couple of seasons.

I hope Healy is tried at th! Could be a rock solid scrummager. It's well worth a look. It's fairly safe to assume that Moore; John Ryan are finished as test level players. Bealham seems to be in the frame with O'Toole jostling for position

• Registered Users Posts: 17,795 ✭✭✭✭bilston

There's an argument for that as well, but age isn't a factor IMO, he's 4 weeks younger than Jamie Osborne.

Also depends what he'd be doing in camp. Would he really just be holding tackle bags? Or would he be learning of Conor Murray and Jonny Sexton as opposed to Dave Shanahan and Billy Burn?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

I've stated in the past that I would not be surprised to see him included in squads and teams.

I will restate that if and when he retakes the field in green it will be an utter blot on the jersey. A low character individual that we simply do not need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I would guess Osborne and Ahern are there because Henshaw and Henderson are injured, rather than being the next guys off the rank.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,932 ✭✭✭TRC10

I'd usually agree, but there are no URC games during the November window.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,932 ✭✭✭TRC10

I love Earlsy and I've never been one of those idiots who've never rated him. Always thought he was brilliant.

But I don't see the point in investing in a winger who will be 36 at the World Cup, and possibly doesn't even make our best XV right now anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

He’s still there on merit in our best 15, for me. He’s easily our best winger in defence, I’d wager. And as we saw vs England, still has the wheels to finish.

I never really rated Earls.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

POM has started the season brilliantly. Even when he plays well, you argue he shouldn’t be included.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Not often I agree with you but I have always thought he was over rated in Ireland. Good player, deserving of a few caps but I'm surprised by how many he has and that he is still being selected.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,633 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Wonder if there’s an element of Earls being there to mentor Balacoune. You’d be more concerned if he’s in the squad for the 6N. He’s been a great servant and won’t let us down but it’s time to move on as you’re in trouble if you’re relying on a 34 year old winger 18 months out from a World Cup

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Not sure there is anyone who was obviously more deserving of the caps Earls got than him though. We do not have a great track record with wingers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Is Healy expected to play as a LH?

Excited to see Frawley at test level.

Advertisement