Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this stove safe to use?

Options
  • 20-10-2021 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi there, just moved into a new house and it has a stove installed. Looks to be in great condition and pretty new on the outside. It’s piped from the back up the cinema, sealed.

However, inside the stove in the top there’s a huge crack. (Picture below) I’m not sure if that’s there on purpose to let smoke out the back or if it’s been cracked somehow. Looks too rough to be done on purpose. Appreciate any thoughts!

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 82,299 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Looks poor. Is there a working carbon monoxide alarm in the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Jeepers - I thought that was somebody's mouth there for a moment.

Is that photo upside-down? That looks like the top baffle in a Oisin with a broken fire-brick below it.

My brick is broken in mine, but the baffle is good. If the baffle is gone, you can normally replace it, as you can the back brick.

If it really is an oisin, the seals around the top-plate normally go, and the rear exhaust blanking plates too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ianmatt

Hi @10-10-20 ,

Yeah sorry the picture is upside down for some reason. It is indeed an Oisin. Thanks for that, even knowing the name for the baffle helps immensely!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

Someones mouth, I was thinking somewhere else, was expecting to see a picture of a stove myself, or the aforementioned cinema ☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭10-10-20

• Advertisement
Advertisement