Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Dave Chappelle's new special "The Closer" really transphobic?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,922 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It sounds more like a BS excuse to be a dick tbh, and to play the victim when people tell you your jokes are shìt. The whole point of satire and observational comedy is to mock people in power, not to take pot shots at easy targets who don’t have anything like the power and influence that celebrities and politicians or even political movements have.

The whole reason it works is because it’s not ok to make jokes about people in power, they’re expected to be respected, rather than mocked. Mocking people with no power is just shìtty behaviour. Some people think that’s funny, but trying to hide behind equality as though everyone is actually treated as equals in society, especially in American society, is bullshìt.

I’d make allowances for someone who is autistic, that they don’t get nuance and satire, but someone who isn’t? They’re just pretending to be stupid. There’s no hard and fast rule that says everything is ok to make jokes about or nothing is, and people don’t have to accept that sort of bullshìt. It doesn’t excuse anyone being a dick, nor does it immunise them from criticism.

To give you an example, Succession is a satirical dark comedy based upon the Murdoch family and their influence in the media industry. ATN is like Fox News, known for peddling bullshìt. A headline like this wouldn’t look out of place on their news channel -

Obvious shìt about comparing periods to impossible burgers beet juice? That’s not funny, it’s just obvious, well below Dave Chapelle’s usual form. It’s why when he made the joke about “the alphabet people”, that was funny, because it was mocking the in-fighting and politics that goes on in a so-called “community”. It was using exaggerated stereotypes to point out that the stereotypes are bullshìt (six minutes in) -

Nobody seeks permission to make jokes about others, let’s not pretend anyone is or isn’t “allowed” to make fun of other people. They do it anyway, but getting pissy because people point out your jokes are shìt? That’s on you, the person telling the joke, it’s not the responsibility of people who are offended by your shìt.

Netflix don’t care either way, they’re making money off the whole thing the same way as they make money off documentaries like Disclosure, where people who are transgender were pointing out how they are already discriminated against in society because of the fact that they are transgender. That’s why your equality nonsense is bullshìt. You’re well aware of the discrepancies in how people are treated based upon their race, gender, sex and sexual orientation in American society.

Your usual word salad there OEJ.

Satire is not, and should not, be reserved for people in power. That's just a definition you created to suit your argument.

Humour is subjective and just because you think a joke is ****, that doesn't make it so. It takes a special type of arrogance to think you should be allowed dictate what is funny and acceptable and what is **** and offensive.

But if you think that the pushback chapelle is getting is just people pointing out that his jokes are ****, then you are deluded.

You ignored the fact that I didn’t say satire is reserved for people in power. I said the point of satire, is to mock people in power, as opposed to taking pot shots at easy targets. It’s not just a definition I created to suit my argument, it’s what satire actually means -

I didn’t argue about whether humour is subjective or not either, you’re accusing me of making things up to suit my argument, but what have you just done? Humour is subjective, so I’m entitled to think a joke is shìt in the same way as you or anyone else is entitled to think it’s hilarious. Humour is subjective, but that doesn’t mean anyone can’t say a joke is shìt.

It certainly does take a special sort of arrogance to imagine you can declare anything for anyone else, and yet that’s what you’re doing when you declare that anyone else can’t identify themselves however they wish, because you think you have the authority to tell them what they are or they aren’t, or how they should or shouldn’t feel just because of your own feelings about Dave Chapelle or whatever other political or social ideological movement you find offensive or objectionable.

I know well why Chapelle is getting pushback - because he’s a multi-millionaire comedian who still makes out like he’s living in the projects and milking racism for all it’s worth, and it’s worth quite a lot, which is why he was begging his audience not to watch his show on Comedy Central, and instead watch his show on Netflix. Netflix are defending their investment, they couldn’t give a shìt about what Chapelle does or doesn’t say, he says whatever he wants, and some people lap it up like dogs because it’s appealing to their persecution complex that if any other groups in American society were to gain equal status with them, it’s taking something from them. There are plenty of people in American society who still think of black people, and people who are transgender, as beneath them, and that’s all this show gives legitimacy to. It doesn’t even promote your bullshìt about equality.

What Chapelle did isn’t brave, or satire, and that’s why for me it wasn’t funny. If comparing periods to vegan burgers is your thing, then sure, I can see how you’d find it hilarious altogether. Doesn’t mean it’s not just a low-brow pot shot at an easy target. That’s why people are pissed, because they didn’t do anything to deserve being shat upon from a height by Dave Chapelle, from a platform as big as Netflix. It’s not exactly a small audience like the school playground where jokes at that level are common as fcuk and you don’t have to pay anything to be an audience for them, and there’s nobody is going to tell special little you that your jokes are shìt.

The reason we’re unlikely to see any more Chapelle specials isn’t just because he’s worn out all the old tropes, it’s because it costs Netflix more to make the show, than the show brings in in revenue - hardly anyone has watched it, but Netflix can take the hit if it’s bringing in new subscribers and generating “diverse content” (read: content that gets peoples back’s up!). Netflix couldn’t care less about “promoting black and LGBT creators”, and I know you’re well aware of that, which is why your whole “equality” shtick just doesn’t wash.

Lol. My "equality shtick" doesn't wash with you because you believe that some groups shouldn't be laughed at or joked about. I don't believe that any group is immune from being joked about.

Frankie Boyle, Jimmy Carr, Ricky Gervais etc made a career of saying outlandish and disgusting jokes. A joke about any subject or group can be incredibly dark, uncomfortable and offensive but still be extremely funny.

The punching up/down method of deciding what is acceptable and by whom is arguably more prejudicial, offensive and condescending than most jokes ever could be.

You are entitled to feel that way and write paragraph after paragraph and say definitively that you don't find it funny and that is fine. Plenty of other options for you out there.

But I do draw the line where at your cackhanded attempt to make out that telling a biological man that they are not the same as biological woman is arrogance.

Biology, unlike humour is not subjective.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

@One eyed Jack The reason we’re unlikely to see any more Chapelle specials isn’t just because he’s worn out all the old tropes, it’s because it costs Netflix more to make the show, than the show brings in in revenue - hardly anyone has watched it, but Netflix can take the hit if it’s bringing in new .

Hardly anyone has watched it , seems millions Have watched and still rising , hundreds of thousands of views here considering it was one of the most watched shows here all last week ,

It's safe to say we will be seeing more Chapelle specials on Netflix ,

• Advertisement

Where’s “here” exactly, when what we’re talking about is Netflix, a global company?

Just to put it in perspective:

Dave Chapelle Special - Cost $24m Revenue $20m

Squid Game - Cost $20m Revenue $900m and counting

That’s what I mean when I say nobody is watching Dave Chapelle - by comparison, his specials made in the US aren’t nearly as popular on the platform as a show which was made in South Korea.

Figures come courtesy of the employee who was fired for leaking them to Bloomberg -

So after a 2 weeks they have more a less made their money back ,and it's going to be on Netflix for 12 months ,

Comparing to the biggest show currently on Streaming services ,oh look nobody is watching it ,

Nice try - but millions have watched it ,and a handful of complaints so much for outrage

20 million vs 900 million, that’s the only comparison I was making to make the point that by comparison, nobody is watching Dave Chapelle. That’s why I didn’t get your point about it being number one “here”, when Netflix is a global platform with over 200 million subscribers. I’m talking about the value they get for the content they produce. I’ve already said Netflix doesn’t care what Dave Chapelle does or doesn’t say, they only care about whether or not content generates revenue. It’s also fair to say that Dave Chapelle didn’t get as many people’s backs up as Netflix had hoped, but then it was no Cuties 🤨

Netflix needs to generate content which generates controversy which generates revenue. If there’s nobody watching and there’s nobody complaining, then someone’s not doing their job properly. If it can generate controversy for a lot less than it costs to produce content, jobs a good ‘un.

That’s why I didn’t care to mention the Netflix 1,000 staff “virtual walkout”, because apart from it being just fcuking downright bizarre, I know that Netflix doesn’t give a shìt.

Claiming nobody watched it is utterly false millions have watched it ,and a tiny few complaining about it and usually the people complaining haven't watched it , it was the the exact same story when JK Rowling released her last book ,it's transphobic ,it's bigoted , it's anti this and that ban the book and JK Rowling ,and guess the book was neither transphobic or bigoted but that didn't stop a small cohort claiming otherwise .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭donaghs

Watched it. Didn't find it transphobic. Seemed to be a lot more "explaining" than in other comedy specials. The crudest joke was probably the paedophile one at the start, but that's not enough to trigger people into wanting to shut him down - like any slagging of "trans" lobby does.

• Advertisement

The trans movement, as opposed to the trans people themselves, is in fact very powerful indeed. It is driven by the US university system after all, at the centre of the World's hegemony.

That’s why I was putting those millions in perspective Gatling. It’s pointless just saying millions watched it when Netflix has 200 million subscribers and what they care about is not so much viewership, but the return on their investment. The whole idea of the shows being on the platform for the next 12 months, also means nothing. Netflix talks in terms of minutes watched, not months. 24 million people is nothing, it’s like ‘the small cohort’, or ‘the tiny number’ in terms of Netflix subscribers. I didn’t need to compare it to Squid Game btw, I was just using that as an example for the purposes of putting the figure of 24 million people in some sort of context. You’re trying to make out that “millions watched it” means something; it means nothing. Even being kind to you and looking at the figures, limiting it to October, limiting it to Ireland, the show doesn’t even come close to the top 10 -

It wasn’t a nice try on my part at all to diminish the millions of people that watched the show, hell I could even include all six specials and the result would still be the same - Netflix is prepared to take the hit and absorb the cost of what it calls “culture defining content”, and in terms of the Chapelle specials, it was a swing, and a miss, by a fairly wide margin. The original claim I made that it just wasn’t very popular and we’re unlikely to see more, still stands.

The tiny number of people championing it as if it’s in any way daring is evidence that they’re just out of touch with reality. I don’t expect that will stop the small cohort with a massive persecution complex from claiming otherwise, even though it’s obvious that 95% of them haven’t watched it. If they had, they’d be up in arms about Dave Chapelle conceding that ‘trans women are women’, and his ‘touching’ tribute at the end where he says that he’s set up a trust fund for his friends daughter, and when she’s 21 he’ll tell her that he knew her father, and ‘he was a wonderful woman’… 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 21,051 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

everyone just needs to stfu, everything is shite ,get on with it...

I’m not gonna be obtuse and claim I don’t understand what you mean by the US university system being at the centre of the World’s hegemony - I know that 85% of their Universities are liberal leaning institutions, but I would simply suggest they aren’t at all powerful at all, they just make the most noise.

(the trans movement are only a small but noisy minority among the majority of noise makers)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭donaghs

I think US "liberals arts/social sciences" have shown how influential they are. Previously the ideas emanating from them could be dismissed as "ivory tower" stuff, divorced from regular mainstream life. But now, we are seeing the trans activists (minority with a tiny minority) platform, racial essentialism, and other ideas in common use in mainstream media and even workplace training.

As Andrew Sullivan (journalist, and once considered a gay activist) says, "we are all on campus now".

Andrew Sullivan: We All Live on Campus Now (nymag.com)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,547 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

It's not transphobic.

I worry about people who complain about comic pieces like this.

It might be helpful if Andrew didn’t contradict himself within the same article - complaining largely about identity politics and how it favours identities over ideas, then ending his piece by focusing on identities over ideas -

The reason I don’t agree with this is because I believe ideas matter. When elite universities shift their entire worldview away from liberal education as we have long known it toward the imperatives of an identity-based “social justice” movement, the broader culture is in danger of drifting away from liberal democracy as well. If elites believe that the core truth of our society is a system of interlocking and oppressive power structures based around immutable characteristics like race or sex or sexual orientation, then sooner rather than later, this will be reflected in our culture at large.

————

As for objective reality, I was at an event earlier this week — not on a campus — when I made what I thought was the commonplace observation that Jim Crow laws no longer exist. Uncomprehending stares came back at me. What planet was I on? Not only does Jim Crow still exist, but slavery itself never went away! When I questioned this assertion by an African-American woman, I was told it was “not my place” to question her reality. After all, I’m white.

———

If there is a crisis, it is a continuing one for transgender women of color. Their lives are fraught with threats and danger. A report that sought to figure out how we can improve things for these most vulnerable people would be helpful. A report that hypes largely meaningless stats to assert a wave of politically motivated murders of gay people is not.

My point has always been that liberals and leftists made their bed, they complain about all these things now when they themselves are on the receiving end of the shìt that they were dishing out, and now they’re seeking sympathy from wider society by trying to portray themselves as “I’m one of you guys, and look what these people are doing to us”. It’s nothing liberals haven’t been trying to do for decades already, and it’s still pretty much contained within their own sphere. The majority of people in the US don’t give a fiddlers about “public discourse”, they don’t care for discourse full stop. They only care about things which they are directly affected by, so Andrew bemoaning the lot of ‘transgender women of colour’ while also complaining about an identity-based social justice movement, while complaining about being put back in his box by an ‘African-American’ woman, suggests that Andrew is trying desperately to play the victim, and trying to convince people that they’re all victims too, when in objective reality it’s just the manifestation of Andrew’s world view coming back to bite him in the arse. Nobody else is feeling butt-hurt by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Housefree

The funniest part of the show was the two big fat lesbians in the audience, one with blue hair, just shaking their heads no the whole show.

I dunno how anyone can claim it’s not transphobic when it perpetuates negative stereotypes and irrational fears of people who are transgender. That’s the very definition of transphobia, unless people who claim it’s not transphobic are working off a definition which suits themselves.

That doesn’t mean there aren’t parts of it are funny, like his ‘tribute’ to his friend at the end of the show, but most of it is just recycling the same old stereotypes that were never clever jokes in the first place, they were just obvious, low-hanging fruit type jokes about people who are transgender.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭AllForIt

My point has always been that liberals and leftists made their bed, they complain about all these things now when they themselves are on the receiving end of the shìt that they were dishing out, and now they’re seeking sympathy from wider society by trying to portray themselves as “I’m one of you guys, and look what these people are doing to us”. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Sullivan

Sullivan describes himself as a conservative and is the author of The Conservative Soul. He has supported a number of traditional libertarian positions, favouring limited government and opposing social interventionist measures such as affirmative action.[43] 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,547 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

He's a comedian. They literally take the piss out of everything. Some find it funny, some don't. It's not something that should be taken seriously.

I hope none of these people don't ever go to see Frankie Boyle live!! They'd not last 2 mins.

My 2c.

I’d be saving that 2c that you might have spent on a Frankie Boyle show if I were you, might save you walking out and demanding a refund 😏

Using that rationale, if a man describes himself as a woman… 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

We've had laws here recognising trans people for 6 years and there has been pretty much no significant effect.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Not as yet. That’s a good example of how this is an imported ideology. If it has so little effect and so little demand, why was it rushed through so fast?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It wasnt rushed through very fast. Lydia Foy began her court case around 1997. The legislation was enacted in 2015.

Agreed. Just over 580 people of 5,000,000 have a GR Cert. We are talking about 0.001% of the population. Not sure why this site scaremongers so much about such a tiny proportion of the population. It really is a load of people regularly jumping up and down about something insignificant.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Rushed through so fast?

Foy began legal proceedings in April 1997,[7] to challenge the refusal of the Registrar General to issue her with a new birth certificate.

——-

Judgment was reserved for nearly two years until 9 July 2002 when Mr Justice Liam McKechnie rejected Lydia Foy's challenge, stating that Foy had been born male based on medical and scientific evidence and that accordingly the registration could not be changed. He did express concern about the position of transsexuals in Ireland, however, and called on the government to urgently review the matter.[2][9][10]

Whoa there speedy, what’s the 20 year rush for? 🤨

(never mind that it was a decision by the European Court of Human Rights in 2002 which found that the UK was in violation of articles 8 and 12 of the convention and Ireland passed the European Convention on Human Rights Act in 2003 is the reason why four years later, Foy took Ireland to Court for the second time in 2007… but yeah, totally an imported ideology)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

I hope this is good. The paralysing effect of not being able to say anything that might cause the slightest offence is killing comedy. Couldn't tell you the last time i saw something comedic from the States. Chappelle is one of the last people pushing back, the rest of Hollywood have either been silenced or they've joined the team. Lots of them have joined the team. Wouldn't you if you had millions on the line.

Taking offence is not really the root cause of this outrage. It's all about power. I don't know why power structures pander to them but they do.

The ECHR is the ultimate in top down kritarchy. The idea of gender identity superseding sex is clearly driven from the US., particular the work of Judith butler. If it originated in Albania it would be something that we would see on travel shows - here’s what is strange about Albania, they believe that men are women. If it had happened in a totalitarian dictatorship, we would see it as an example of the totalitarian nature of that regime. When the world hegemon says men are women now, we all agree that men are women.

i was talking, however, about the rushing through the oireachtas and the universal support with no opposition. All parties.

Pretty spectacular stuff by the standards of a democracy. As the bill went through multiple readings the protections for sports, the need to have lived as the new gender for a few years, and any medical cert were removed. Why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭political analyst

It's not woke. Feeling that one has been born with the wrong sex is real.

Advertisement