Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭political analyst

Why are the statistics for vaccination not being given at weekends anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭political analyst

The vaccination statistics were not shown on the news yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,544 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Not sure if posted here already...

REACT Study from Imperial College London suggest fully vaccinated half as likely to be infected by delta variant:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/roberthart/2021/08/04/fully-vaccinated-half-as-likely-to-catch-delta-covid-variant-and-less-likely-to-infect-others-study-finds/?sh=528ccb5a281c

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

So who agrees with Israel's approach of disabling their Covid Cert to force their population to take booster shots? They did this for all adults and some under 18's also. Any person who had already taken two shots was counted as 'unvaccinated' and denied entry to bars, restaurants and elsewhere until they got their boosters. A vaccine so good, it needs to be boosted for a third time a mere few weeks after a second dose. I'm fully vaccinated btw but I did not sign up for repetitive doses over and over again or I'd be excluded from society.

• Advertisement

EU evaluating Pfizer Covid-19 vaccine for children under 12 (irishtimes.com)

"The vaccine was found to induce a strong immune response in five- to 11-year-olds in a clinical trial of 2,268 participants, the companies said last month."

Imagine putting this into young children when it's only been trialled on such low numbers (2000). What an absolute disgrace. What benefits would children get from a Covid vaccine v their very real risks from taking it?

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭JPup

Children live in a society like the rest of us. If we can reduce the spread of the virus, we reduce the number of people that end up in hospital and the sooner we can all get back to life as normal.

Let's wait and see what the experts say, but at the moment there doesn't seem to be any evidence to say that children who take the vaccine are at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,698 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Children are the most vaccinated in all of society, billions of people have been vaccinated, all they have to do is figure out the dosing and response from that dosing for the under 12, there's no worries about safety (at least from medical professionals).

200+ children have died in the US alone from covid.

What are these very real risks versus these deaths?

Can you explain what issues you think would be discovered in a 22000 trial v a 2200 trial? Given kids are dying from covid how long should these trials wait to signup that number and run for how long should they run for?

Why do I have the feeling you would be horrified by the thoughts of 30000 kids being involved in the trial of an UNTESTED vaccine?

Imagine they put it into 2268 young kids IN A TRIAL? They are experimenting with kids!

2000 is a large number for a clinical trial.

How many kids do you think any of the usual kids medicines were trialled on?

Wouldnt it be an absolute disgrace to delay a life saving safe vaccine that has passed clinical trials and could used on vulnerable children?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

While I don't agree with Israel autocratic approach ...to anything really ,...many vaccines that we already take and are given to young children , need a few doses to sustain an adequate immune response .

Do you disagree with these vaccines or is it just the Covid vaccines ?

• Advertisement

I’m fully vaccinated & of course I agree with well researched childhood vaccines that took years to develop. My point is what’s happening in relation to Covid and around vaccination status. Vaccine certs and their use domestically in particular - it’s one thing to introduce this on a temporary basis while a mass vaccination campaign was under way. Absolutely reasonable to expose everyone to Covid spike protein via a vaccination programme to generate an immune response & provide future protection.

But disabling certs which Israel are doing & forcing yet more of the same on people - this crossed a very big red line for me. Firstly antibodies wane, but memory cells don’t. No younger healthy people should need one of these boosters or be barred from premises here for not having it.

What makes you think this isn’t going to happen in Ireland? Israel was ahead of others rolling out first & second doses. Ireland has run a very pointed ‘unvaccinated are a plague to society’ campaign last week - despite 92% of adults getting their jabs. I think this is just an excuse for their poor management of Covid in general & also a good excuse to keep the certs - which will almost certainly be extended beyond Jan 9th.

Fair enough CS.

I agree with you about Israel. However not about Ireland following suit. We have never gone down the route of mandatory vaccination and I doubt that will happen. But keeping the Certs going to " encourage" a few more to take the vaccination as well as combining Certs and antigen testing might ease things a little.

Yes they are fudging over the fact that hospital capacity, or lack of is causing issues with lifting restrictions. They are politicians, they will never admit to anything that might affect them negatively.

But you continue to similarly refuse to admit that the problem is not the numbers of people sick, but the big boost in numbers caused by a minority of unvaccinated people.

Deflecting the effects of unvaccinated sick on our hospitals to everyone else, is a very politicky thing to do!

So priorities are getting as many hesitant people vaccinated and second jabbed( vaccinators in universities and 3rd level colleges as we speak), and boosters for vulnerable under 80s and healthcare workers.

I don't see a general booster program being rolled out any time soon, so no triple Jab Covid cert either.

BTW the technology for these vaccines has been developed for years also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭User1998

200 in a population of 330 million is 0.0000006%

“Kids are dying from covid” Would you stop

Yes kids are dying and being hospitalised from covid. Kids have died and will continue to die and maybe if they were vaccinated some of them might pull through.

It seems a rather relevant point in considering why a vaccine for under 12s might be something medical authorities are interested in even if only for vaccinating vulnerable groups in that age bracket.

If that was 200 in that age group , imagine the outcry if it was an equivalent number in the 30 to 44 year olds dying from an adverse vaccine event ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,652 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Out of the hundreds of millions getting vaccinated, its probably not far off that number. Nothing to lose the plot about. Similarly 200 children in a country of 330 million isn't either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

The **** show continues …absolutely disgusted with this stuttering mixed message etc etc govt ….by no means anti vax but totally unfair how the govt are going after the 7/8% of people who for one reason or other remain unvaccinated ….22/10 should of been the day we finally started to live with this instead we push ahead with nothing shy of a **** show and contradictory opening of nightclubs etc with a set of unrelastic guidelines …..the govt have ran a very successful vacine rollout programme but that’s it …..our health service is shambolic and nothing has been done to make meaningfull improvements in last 20 months

mass antigen testing should be rolled out (should of been done months ago )huge amounts of vaccinated people are getting and spreading this …they may not be getting as sick or ending up in hospital but a lot do …..the vaccine is not very effective against the spread of Covid so our numbers are always going to be high and this craic of getting boosters every 5/6 months ….fook that …who knows the long term side effects ?????there may be none ….but we don’t know

Who is losing the plot ? ;)

I am talking about children though as is odyssey06 .

This vaccine will most probably be given to all school going kids from next year in with all the other boosters they get and doubt if it will even bother most parents at that stage , as they will have all the safety data they need .

US are doing the heavy lifting for EU in this regard .

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Crude CFR estimates by age and vax status, from a UK Sky journo.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The CFR is emotive and headline grabbing, it's always been the ability of the disease to overwhelm health systems. When that happens it increases the risk of more deaths from non-COVID effects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

That alone still wouldn't explain why unvaxxed 80+ are 3.5 times more likely to die, and why unvaxxed 50-59 are 20 times more likely to die. If it was a case of gaps in care or overwhelmed hospital systems, there would be little difference in the CFR for vaxxed and unvaxxed.

There is probably a certain amount of skewing, in that individuals who cannot get vaccinated are probably more likely to have serious illnesses that leave them in a higher risk category. But this cohort is statistically very small, not enough to skew the data this much.

Well, your 50s are where things tend to start changing for the worse! People physically start to deteriorate more, in their bones, in muscle and also in their immune response to things. Certainly, the risks of heart problems, emergence of cancers and possible autoimmune disorders are of higher risk.  That said it is hard to find data on the numbers of those unvaccinated can CANNOT get a shot.

Do you think a trial of 2,000 children is enough to attempt to justify vaccinating children who are largely unaffected severely by Covid 19?

Have you seen any risk v benefit data of the vaccine in this age group? The numbers aren’t pretty.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

2,268 is a slightly above average sample size for a stage 3 clinical trial.

I know you're not anti-vax, so please stop repeating anti-vax rhetoric about insufficient testing. The stage 3 sample sizes for adult trials of the covid vaccines were absolutely enormous, virtually unheard of before. That doesn't mean the sample sizes for trials on children need to match them. Children aren't a different species, the same outcomes will largely hold true.

I agree 100% above the risk/benefit balance when it comes to the under-12s. I certainly appreciate the herd immunity argument, but I still want to properly examine the data before I'd consider giving it to my kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Is there any hope of the third dose being offered to all of group four? A family member is a severe asthmatic and was in that group during the initital rollout and is quite anxious.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

There are so many developmental & growth factors to take into consideration with children’s bodies. My personal opinion is this trial data is disappointingly small for a phase 3 trial on younger children.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,029 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Would you volunteer your child to be one of the first 2000*? No, thought not... but without parents who are willing to do so, there can be no trials at all. There are lots of reasons around consent and ethics making doing medical trials of any kind in children difficult.

(*) or 20,000, or 200,000, or 2 million or whatever number would satisfy you - if there is one

Some neutralization data for a 3rd dose of Pfizer. Significant rise in titers including against Beta and Delta. I'd be very confident protection will last a lot longer too. Think we need to stop calling dose 3 a booster. It's becoming clear that Pfizer (and by extension Moderna) are a 3 dose series.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2113468

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

I still want to properly examine the data before I'd consider giving it to my kids.

Are you a vaccinologist or a medical doctor, then? Because you're very busy in another thread telling everyone "it's beyond arrogant to question their interpretation of the data unless one has expertise in the area."

Does that only hold for areas where you personally trust the experts without question?

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

Advertisement