Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

European Super League - plans announced

Comments

The 9 clubs that withdrew have all agreed to sanctions, so it incorrect to say there won't be punishments. There are (admittedly small) fines and a reduction in prize money for next season. https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/mediaservices/mediareleases/news/0269-123871bd86ca-d9571aa78f72-1000--uefa-approves-reintegration-measures-for-nine-clubs-involved-in/

I understood that this did not preclude the EPL from imposing sanctions. As in, after that was announced a number of journos were still saying "and they should also be punished by the EPL"...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I understood that this did not preclude the EPL from imposing sanctions. As in, after that was announced a number of journos were still saying "and they should also be punished by the EPL"...
    Theres no way the PL teams bite the hand that feeds them. The top 4 will all be in next seasons CL. There will be a fine and a possible reduction in prize money similar to what UEFA imposed.

Theres no way the PL teams bite the hand that feeds them...

I know.

Which makes the whole thing even more farcical. All that outrage with no real sanction to ensure that multi billionaire businessmen are not meeting right now to see when is the optimum time to go again.

Because one thing is certain, they remain multi billionaire businessmen, it's not like they've become charities or loyal fans overnight. Some clubs said this must happen for them to survive, the imperative has not gone away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭adaminho

Didn't they get removed from all committee's and stripped of all decision making?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Much as you might like it for whatever reason, I don't think there's any sanction that the EPL could impose that could affect the Top 4 now. That moment has passed.

The league is over - as per UEFA rules the Top 4 go into next seasons CL.
    The concept of individual FAs being able to 'nominate' or 'invite' teams is long gone - it's a UEFA decision these days.

If there is to be any points sanctions then it will apply next season - personally though I don't see the basis for any points sanction standing up. They didn't threaten to withdraw from the EPL, just from Europe, so it's unlikely that any EPL penalty could be more extreme than the relatively minor UEFA punishment discussed earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I'd say UEFA are only delighted Chelsea and Liverpool qualified.

It's better for UEFA commercially and it helps those two big teams in their club coefficients for the new format in case they don't qualify automatically in future.

UEFA were only against the Super League because it wasn't theirs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I'd say UEFA are only delighted Chelsea and Liverpool qualified.

It's better for UEFA commercially and it helps those two big teams in their club coefficients for the new format in case they don't qualify automatically in future.

UEFA were only against the Super League because it wasn't theirs.

Same with sky . Sky weren’t showing the super league so it was a threat to the premier league .

It all seems a bit like the end of Animal Farm.

All the fans, the ones who went out and protested, on the outside looking in, while the "good" and "bad" sides cosy up together again. And after briefly feigning outrage at the threat to their jobs, Gary Neville and Co. are back to doing what they do best and trying to generate hours of analysis out of stories like why do Leicester collapse or where will Kane end up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I see Laporta has admitted Barca are 1bn in debt.

How in God's name can a club be run so badly that they get to that level of debt?

And Barca have been a successful club over the last decade or more, you'd think they would have been bringing plenty of money in.

Those running these top clubs need to take a good look at themselves. Simply handing players and agents whatever money they ask for isn't the way to go. They need to start running clubs properly. The ESL would have got them out of a hole now, but sure They would have overspent again and been back in the hole in another 10 or 15 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

You try paying Messi's ever increasing salary and having to also bring in people to keep him happy and hire and fire managers, then add into the mix blowing hundreds of millions, sometimes on singular players, on transfer fees and stay in the black. There's just no way it's possible, I for one am thrilled for them.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

Barca generate massive revenue. A few lean years and they'll be back on their feet.

Ridiculous to let it get to this stage tbh. Terribly run club the past few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

6 wrote: »
    Barca generate massive revenue. A few lean years and they'll be back on their feet.

Ridiculous to let it get to this stage tbh. Terribly run club the past few years.

A few lean years?

Say they were to make a profit of 100mill per year (which is nigh on impossible for a football club to do), you're still looking at a decade of that to clear the debt.

I appreciate most clubs are perpetually in debt, but a billion is a new level of debt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

No protests in Spain when the Super League was announced . Shows whatever Madrid and Barca want everyone excepts

NIMAN wrote: »
    I see Laporta has admitted Barca are 1bn in debt...

Still, better than Spurs with their 1.2 billion debt. Though obviously largely down to the stadium costing 4 times what was initially projected...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,764 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Still, better than Spurs with their 1.2 billion debt. Though obviously largely down to the stadium costing 4 times what was initially projected...

And Spurs have a brand new stadium. Barcas is old and in need of renovation

It's not thought barcas is due shirt term. Spurs is far more manageable

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Would it be much harm for a few of these massive clubs to pull a Rangers and come crashing down? Salaries seem to be unsustainable and this era of perpetual and ever increasing debt can't last. Let's say the ESL happened, costs would only go one way and in 20 years time we'd be right back here again but with nowhere else for these clubs to go for the extra income. Would a grand reset be such a bad thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Real, have just nicked our manager and are now being linked with Mbappe, Barca sign Aguero and Juve linked with all sorts.
    In fairness to the other English teams and Athleitco and Milan's they have pulled out - but it appears business as usual for the Big 3 , with little punishment on horizon, for the teams still plotting this breakaway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

NIMAN wrote: »
    A few lean years?

Say they were to make a profit of 100mill per year (which is nigh on impossible for a football club to do), you're still looking at a decade of that to clear the debt.

I appreciate most clubs are perpetually in debt, but a billion is a new level of debt.

Depends how well they can service debt, all the talk about United's debt, they can manage it just fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I hope they go and set up their own league and get kicked out if their national leagues.
    I love watching Leeds, Aston Villa, West Ham and Leicester playing. The only thing that'd make it even better would be them contending for a title.

I watched injury time in the ECL final, didn't watch the semi-finals, might have seen one QF, didn't watch any of the league stages. There's plenty I know who are the same.
    It'd be great to have those teams gone out of the Premier league, they've been ruining it for years having way more money than everybody else.
    I think a Super league would fail after a few years because people would get bored of it with no new teams coming into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

UEFA have suspended disciplinary proceedings against Madrid, Barca and Juve until further notice.

Looks like the clubs called UEFA’s bluff and won.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I hope they go and set up their own league and get kicked out if their national leagues.
    I love watching Leeds, Aston Villa, West Ham and Leicester playing. The only thing that'd make it even better would be them contending for a title.

I watched injury time in the ECL final, didn't watch the semi-finals, might have seen one QF, didn't watch any of the league stages. There's plenty I know who are the same.
    It'd be great to have those teams gone out of the Premier league, they've been ruining it for years having way more money than everybody else.
    I think a Super league would fail after a few years because people would get bored of it with no new teams coming into it.

I don't think it would fail at all but they would be cutting their nose to spite their face as the revenue domestically would plummet. It might not appeal to you or me, but they are looking at the next generation of fans. The type who shell out to watch youtubers box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,332 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

UEFA have suspended disciplinary proceedings against Madrid, Barca and Juve until further notice.

Looks like the clubs called UEFA’s bluff and won.

No, that isn't what has happened (yet)

Real and Barca have a case on this in the spanish courts and Uefa have been called before it - they can't continue to their own investigation and case (in Swiss court) until the spanish one is sorted, or you could see Uefa held in contempt of court.

So they are pausing their own case while the spanish one is dealt with first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Barca, Madrid & Juve still not backing down as the other 9 clubs ask to be reinstated and are let back into European Club Association after they left to set up the Super League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Seems the Super League is back with some new ideas.

This seems a lot more promising. Wonder if anything will come of it, though.

• Advertisement

Sounds rubbish to me - top players, playing 2 leagues each season, along with a World cup every 2 years, Nations legue and never-ending international breaks - players playing twice a week 12 months a year - 2 words - utter shite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I like that it says ‘reduced number of games’ at least. I hate the look of that incoming CL format change to that huge convoluted bloated Swiss model thing. Wish they’d just leave the CL as it is, as it’s the best thing in club football, but they seem determined to ruin it one way or another.

The clubs want to control the European club competitions, take control away from UEFA, it's as simple as that.

That's why they want to "ruin" the CL.

UEFA want to "ruin" the CL because they know the clubs want more money from it and UEFA don't want to risk the clubs taking control.

The clubs tried their luck back in April but misjudged the fans, and UEFA used that fan anger for their benefit.

Now the clubs have come back with a watered down version that they hope to oust UEFA with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

No surprise whatsoever that they are back with a 'better' offer. And they will keep coming back 'til they get their way.

I wouldn't be surprised if their plan all along was to offer a ridiculous plan that they knew would spark outrage, gauge reaction and come back with their cap in hand and puppy eyes, saying how they're sorry and have listened to fans' concerns and have a 'fairer' plan. And repest as many times as possible.

But the better offer is what people were asking for. I don't see why people have a problem with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭bocaman

No the idea of a European Super League hasn't gone away. I suspect they'll return again and again with ideas till one of them sticks.

And what is wrong with that? They keep amending the plan until such time as enough people support it.

Nothing inherently wrong with the European Super League, although I do understand the issues with local fans, local derbies etc. But Madrid and Barcelona are not 'local'. And the current leagues are purely a construct of the past, which may, or may not, serve a purpose anymore.

Celtic, as an example, are stuck in a domestic league that is not suitable, but must stay there because of, well decision made years ago.

PSG are the same, but of course at a much higher level. Their domestic league is probably limiting their ability to compete in Europe.

I find it strange that people have no problem with players from Ireland playing in English clubs, but English clubs playing in European league is somehow an affront to football fans.

Football is changing, always, and if enough supporters are willing to pay then change will happen.

The idea of the Super league was to replace National premier leagues, the new plan is to have players playing 2 leagues simultaneosly, whilst FIFA are hoping to have a WC every 2 years , along with the new Nations league - ever hear of burnout ?

The new CL format is awful, we don't want more games, there is more than enough already. Players are not robots, I don't care how grossly overpaid they are.

Its such a blatant power grab too by Agnelli, Laporte and Perez this SL is. The english clubs are sacrificing their financial advantage.

Of course people want more games, are you seriously telling me that people are calling for less football? People want better games. There is little value in PSG playing Rovers for example, hence the superleague.

Of course its a power grab, but that isn't an issue that we can do anything about. It's about what the supporters want. In terms in burnout, maybe like with the Coca Cola Cup clubs could have more than one panel. Giving more players more experience, more chance to play. There are plenty of players, many get very little game time.

It does not matter what you want.

The reality for clubs is that domestic leagues are losing their financial value and they have to look elsewhere to keep up the return on investment.

That means new leagues with bigger revenues from TV etc.

That's why UEFA need to change the CL format, because the current one is not valuable enough to the big clubs as it is. And they don't want to surrender control of European soccer to the big clubs, thus they are trying to appease them by making to more valuable for them.

Soccer fans usually live in some sort of romantic other world where everything is simple and all links back to history.

They rail against the likes of Sky and too much soccer on TV but fail to remember the days one game a week on TV.

They complain about new stadiums with sponsors names but fail to remember the death traps of the '80s.

They complain about the "prawn sandwich" bigrade but are lucky never to have encountered the type of scum that used to inhabit said death traps.

They give out about not enough games at 3pm on a Saturday, but don't realize that 3pm on a Saturday was because that was a half day and pay day in late 19th century industrial England, and has zero relevance to a globalized 2021.

The say that money has ruined the game, but are a whoppin' and a hollerin' if their club gets bough out by some Arab multi billionaire consortium with links to questionable regimes.

And after all this, they still buy the TV sub, the replica shirt, the match tickets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

It wasn't replacing national leagues. It was said all along that the clubs would stay in their domestic leagues. They weren't being given that choice though as their own leagues wanted to expel them. It was replacing the CL.

and what would be the point of National league's if winning them didnt get you into Europe - The idea was to replace national leagues with a closed shop Super league - pure Greed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Absurd reasoning. Again, the national leagues would still exist and the reason for winning them remains the same as it does now. To win your league. Teams don't want to win their league so they can play in the CL. The Super league replaced the CL not national leagues as you suggested. The fact it was a shite idea and a closed shop doesn't change that fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

That was likely the long term unspoken goal - but their position upon launching the Super League was for it to replace the Champions League, and work in tandem with the national leagues.

Read Rebels post - to understand Absurd reasoning, and getting into CL is a big deal to most teams - The whole closed shop was the absurd reasoning

Very true, but the new idea is that it wouldn't be a closed shop, there would be promotion and relegation. It seemed that that was the big argument against the initial plan.

Not sure what the argument is now, given that the issue has been sorted.

Edit - BTW I'm not saying there are not plenty of issues, just that I don't have any and would be good to hear peoples take on it.

Post edited by Leroy42 on

My issue is too much football for elite players - sometimes less is more, but that seams lost today where it all seams about greed and money - the new CL format has too much as well

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Perseverance The Second

Sounds like a relaunch will be announced shortly.

Either today or within the next week.

Project #SuperLeague :

- No permanent members

- Team qualified thanks to the results it obtains in its league

- 20 members - all leagues will have a chance to win a place through the qualifying phase

- Second league of 20 members

- Reduced number of matches

Expect to see an outraged Gary Neville on TV shortly so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Very much like the champions league so. And few people have a problem with that so I don't forsee any issues with the supporters.

Of course UEFA stand to lose big time over this, to fully expect a massive fightback where we are all told that UEFA are all about the fans and grass roots football!

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Perseverance The Second

You can also bet that relegation will be short lived.

The American owners won't sign up for this without the guarantee of money later down the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

He is very quiet on the changes made to the CL though, with seeding beings given out for 'historical performance' so that the top clubs will always remain at the top.

Advertisement