Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booing the knee *Mod Note in Post 1232 and OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,903 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Do you think the civil rights activists of the 60's were patriots?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

On one side you have the issue of racism being protested.

On the other side, you have boo'ers who ignore multiple facts* to excuse being more outraged by the gesture than the racism that is being protested.

I get people who are racist or don't see racism as being an issue worth protesting 'understanding' the side of the boo'ers, it simply astounds me the mental gymnastics to claim to be disgusted by racism and then spend hours upon hours making excuses for the boo'ers. How tangential association with the BLM organization is somehow deemed worse than racism is simply insane to me for a person who sees racism as an issue.

*Facts being ignored

• ignore the players repeated statements that they are not linked with BLM
    • ignore the fact of taking a knee has a long history before it was used by anyone in the BLM movement
    • ignore that the fact that the BLM movement rarely uses the knee gesture, only heavily used in the immediate aftermath of murder of Floyd and even then not an intrinsic part of those protests
    • ignore that the BLM organization is a tiny part of the BLM movement
    • ignore that there is no evidence BLM organization has planned or committed violence (and you can damn sure right wing media has tried to find this - best they found were words of randomers at a few protests
    • ignore that all they really have to be annoyed with are secondary political policies of a tiny fraction of the overall BLM movement (many that have been held right back to the Civil Rights protests)

The only person who is clearly trying to save face while continuing to pathetically flail around is you. You're making the above argument now by purposefully misquoting me.

Unlike what you claim in your post, I never said:

"Clever is not the word the comes to mind"

What I said (now for the 5th time) was:

"Clever isn't the first thing that comes to mind"

They are very different and it why you've chosen to misquote me - my real quote clearly leaves things much more open for clever to be one of the many other words to describe the banner, which completely nullifies your original strawman and your flailing since.

I am starting to get concerned about you here, I posted my OP four times and you are still making things up to fit the argument you want to have but I didn't make. Probably best you stick by your word and leave it - save that embarrassment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

No doubt there are some racists who are against taking the knee, as they would be against anti-racism gesture. However, anyone I speak to (and I don’t believe I know any racists), is against it because they see it as a symbol of American-style identity politics which has seeped into our society, and people are tired of it. There have been anti-racism campaigns in football for years, and I don’t recall anyone having any problem with it.

I if I was at a football match and someone was shouting racist abuse around me, I would call them out on it. Hopefully they would also be served with a lifetime stadium ban. These typed of actions will have a far greater effect.

A bunch of over-paid footballers performing a controversial gesture for the reason I mention above is doing absolutely nothing to promote anti-racism. In fact, it’s giving people something to fight against and it’s doing the whole movement this side of the water a disservice.

Has there been a substantive anti-racism and equality campaigns from football that went beyond your point of 'shouting racist abuse' and spoke to to the fundamental issues facing minorities in broader society, issues that many of these minority players faced growing up and some they likely still face today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,142 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭chrisd2019

At this point the whole thing is just spin and political correctness gone mad.

Football matches are for playing football, all the rest is just irrelevant waffle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

So you want them to start a protest in aid of the rights of immigrant workers? Is that it?

Or do you really just want to see the BLM cause ignored in the same way as has happened to these workers?

It's worth pointing out the Daily Mail don't give a fcuk about wither cause but are happy to use the workers to have a dig at those uppity footballers. A newspaper with a shred of moral standing would have held off on printing such an article just a few days after an English game saw disruption in the stands as a steward was racially abused by a fan, but why should the Daily Mail break the habit of a lifetime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,743 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

BLM should be ignored... any organization that openly and aggressively and indeed in an organized and thought out fashion disregarded covid regulations and the laws of this country as well as the lives and health and wellbeing of a significant portion of our citizens including healthcare workers can go take a running jump... I wouldn’t give them a hand to cross the road let alone anything else.

You must hate a lot of organisations and groupsets of people based on this rational. Including most, if not all, of a conservative nature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,743 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Must I ? What organizations or group-sets do I hate ? :) seeing as I in your words ‘must’...

i don’t even hate BLM... I can vociferously be critical of and be in disagreement with aspects of what they do and stand for but hate ? Nahhh... you are indulging in hyperbole.

Must I ? What organizations or group-sets do I hate ? :) seeing as I in your words ‘must’...

Any organisation that advocates against mask or vacine mandates, any organisation that held political rallies throughout the height of Covid, any organisations that claimed that they should be exempt from being asked to stop gatherings because the blood of christ protected them.

The twisting themselves in knots whataboutery is so obvious in anything BLM movement related - only the dullest of minds would ever be swayed by it.

Issues that these people/papers have and would never lift a hand to help, often doing the opposite actively supporting groups/parties that fight against improving the specific situations (be it immigrant workers or black communities), are now suddenly the job the BLM movement should be trying to fix first.

It is akin to trying to act intellectual by asking mica protesters why they aren't first protesting for those who are homeless on the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Fair play to Atletico there letting Liverpool know what they think of their virtue signalling.

Aww, did it ruin your evening having to watch a few seconds of players asking for action to combat racism? Go and watch Fox for a bit, I'm sure it'll help you recover.

Fair play to the Atletico players who took the knee while others on their own team didn't. English players were racially abused in Madrid not so long ago. Hardly surprising Atletico wouldn't take part. And of course Suarez doing so would have..... created headlines shall we say.

#thoughtsandprayers for this evening Fandymo, you've been through so much.

Spanish football has a terrible record regarding racism so not at all a surprise.

What a coincidence that once again it is a country that has a documented racism problem where the protest is booed the most...

Why would a sub have come out and taken the knee with the starting 11?? Wasn’t it Liverpool who “Stood with Suarez” with t-shirts etc??

Yep. And apologised to Evra last year for it. Another sign of the growing awareness around clubs responsibility in this area.

Some people move forward, some stay stuck in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Great to see racism in action isn't in Fandymo. It allows other racists an opportunity to come out in the open in support of them.

You are supporting a club which regularly displays racist banners, does nazi salutes and chants monkey at players. That is what you are supporting. Well done.

"after a series of far-right banners were displayed along with supporters making Nazi salutes by a group of travelling Atletico Madrid fans at Saturday's LaLiga game in the Madrid neighbourhood."

https://en.as.com/en/2019/02/20/soccer/1550665611_006299.html

Atletico Madrid charged by Uefa for displaying 'racist' banner during Europa League final

https://www.the42.ie/uefa-atletico-madrid-racist-banner-charged-europa-league-final-4018756-May2018/

The Spanish Football Federation's Competition Committee has opened disciplinary proceedings after Brazilian striker Vinicius Tanque suffered racist abuse during a third division league game at Atletico Madrid's B team last weekend.

A section of spectators also shouted "monkey" when Vinicius played the ball.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/atletico-madrid/story/4307443/investigation-launched-into-racist-incident-at-atletico-madrid

There was zero racism in action last night. When you have to make stuff up you know your losing the argument.

The poster didn't say there was.

Do you think players should only protest if there is going to be incidents of racism during the game that hasn't yet started. Is that what you need to justify the act, players who are able to see in to the future?

Given the post they made, how do you feel about supporting players specifically for not taking a knee, whose club has demonstrable racist elements within its fanbase?

Pretty hypocritical there, you do not have any evidence to say there was 'zero racism in action' last night.

He literally said “great to see racism in action”, when referencing Atletico fans booing the kneeling. So yes, he did. Unless “racism in action” means something else?

I think it is very fair to say that a club that has been fined by Uefa for racist banners, does nazi salutes and chants monkey at opposing players had racist intent in booing the taking of the knee.

Your support of a club who engage in such behaviour speaks volumes.

The UEFA match inspector hasn’t put any racism etc in his match report and he was there. But Robert knows better. Laughable.

So do you accept Atletico Madrid fans have engaged in racism in the recent past?

They then booed an anti racism gesture and your hot take is not a single madrid fan done it with racist intent. That's what is laughable.

Next up from fandymo the KKK are not racist they just like wearing white sheets 😂😂

This is flat out embarrassing. Or it should be.

The absolute effort you are going to in order to denounce people calling for action against racism and absolve people from a club with evidence of having practiced it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,142 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Its patently obvious that most of these virtue signallers promoting the knee never kicked a ball in their life.

Advertisement