Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

callans kicks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Louis Walsh was funny, so was the Paul Galvin piss-take. The Nicky Byrne sketch was funny to begin with, but it became too laboured - a bit like the Royal Family sketch from a couple of weeks ago. The Michael D. sketch was good as well, if only to highlight his silly affected accent since he had tea with Her Madge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Aye one of the weakest episodes. Even when it fails though the production is a pretty high standard which is nice to see.

Next one the last? Hope it ends on a high. Overall it's been massively better than Mario's ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Not a fan at all.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

OH man... he's not pulling his punches on the last show...

That Rachel Allen sketch was hilarious.. And the Christy one as well..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Gerry Adams was the best yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭jjf1974

He was spot on with Ray Darcy as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

His Ray Darcy is great.

And his Mooney .... !

• Registered Users Posts: 72,687 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Evening Roz :)

I'd love to be a fly on the Ballymaloe sauce tonight..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

The Rachel Allen one is seriously cringe inducing stuff. In the best possible way.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Aye one of the weakest episodes. Even when it fails though the production is a pretty high standard which is nice to see.

Next one the last? Hope it ends on a high. Overall it's been massively better than Mario's ****e.

It may have its critics but it's still way superior to the Mario show (which is really shocking IMO). At least Callan tries to build in the topical news stories of the week - which takes some doing when your show goes out every Friday night. It's by far the most (and only) topical satire show we have.

And am I the only person who's getting tired of silly Miriam O'Callaghan impressions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Radio5

Good shoe last night. Mooney is just class and D'Arcy too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Its an awful show. Just terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Seanachai

I'm not a big fan of OC and the jokes in the show are a bit draggy but I was surprised by the pieces about the GAA and the Brian Dobson monologues, it was a little bit too dark but they're pretty good social satire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Really good last episode. Hope it makes a return. This and the first series of Savage Eye and the first series of Irish Pictorial Weekly have all been very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 waggs

I think what Callan has going for him is he's not afraid of being disliked whereas Mario clearly is. Mario takes the piss in a much softer way and I suspect he overdoes Miriam cos she's talked publicly about loving his impression of her. I think Mario is a lickarse, personally. Callan on the other hand may soon have no friends left in the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭jjf1974

waggs wrote: »
    I think what Callan has going for him is he's not afraid of being disliked whereas Mario clearly is. Mario takes the piss in a much softer way and I suspect he overdoes Miriam cos she's talked publicly about loving his impression of her. I think Mario is a lickarse, personally. Callan on the other hand may soon have no friends left in the business.

He wont have any friends in ballymaloe any way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

Have to say I didn't like this show in general. One or two bits were okay but most of it was poor... Until the last Ep, I'm not sure exactly what they did and there were one or two duds in there, but some of it was really, really good. In fact It took me by surprise how good it could be.

Now if there was another series up to the standard of the last ep. then I could see a real future for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭squonk

I was mightily impressed with the last episode myself. Actually to the extent that I can't believe I was watching RTE! It was sharp and practically every sketch pulled a punch and was very funny to boot. The GAA sequence was absolutely excellent. I've said before that I measure shows like this against great shows from the past like Dead Ringers or Bremner Bird and Fortune and, to be honest, that last show was in that ballpark, even if it might have been more walking in from the carpark in comparison but still, it was an excellent effort and if they can stick to this for a second season (if they get a second season now!) then it'll be great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

This is back on tomorrow on RTE1 9.35pm. Looking forward to finally seeing some actual comedy on RTE and there should be plenty for him to satirise

• Registered Users Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭Hitchens

It's brutally unfunny 👎️

• Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I think it's genius and funny.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

That was excellent. Well done OC (and crew) Irish satire at it's finest.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭MBE220d

He is great at sounding and imitating people but he needs to get someone to write the scripts because he is useless at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Just watching on the +1 now and its very good

The Enda Kenny impression was great, 'some say Fine Gael are so useless they couldnt even do fascism right, I disagree' and then 'Ireland is the best small country in the world in which to be a fascist' 😂

And the very final impression of Michael Lehane outside Government Buildings "reporting from the David Davin-Power Memorial Kerb" 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 4,136 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Was that programme shown tonight brand new or a repeat? There were a number of script writers apart from Callan himself credited at the end. Fiona Looney was one. Perhaps that's why it wasn't very funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭MBE220d

I think it's new, it's the first time I've seen it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

It's not too bad

Better than anything Rosenstock has done but not close to McSavage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

Rte.cannot.do.comedy (apart from the savage eye) and they were too conservative to risk another season of that.

The late late show is about as edgy as rte can handle.

Advertisement