Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I lost 25kg in the last 13 months without gyms or exercise for that mind

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭robbiezero

I get ya. But I have no intention of changing my behaviour to facilitate the unvaccinated and I find it hard to believe the the small percentage of "wilfully" unvaccinated are really doing that much damage to our health service, **** and all as it is. Have we a large over 80s anti-vaxxer group or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Yeah fair enough if you don't want to change your behaviour anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭Xander10

I was in a small restaurant last night that checked for Covid certs via a look at the app on phone.

All fine. But then the one waitress that was serving the food and drinks, while talking to a table of tourist about Covid procedures coming into Ireland, announces she hopes to go on a holiday soon but hasn't been vaccinated.

The irony of the person checking customers being unvaccinated. Question, should they be vaccinated also ? and does not being, defeat the purpose of checking everyone else on the premises?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭floorpie

and does not being, defeat the purpose of checking everyone else on the premises?

All current measures assume that vaccinated people will rarely be infected or hospitalised. If this assumption is broken, all measures are now unsuitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's the correlation that is being drawn from ICU numbers and is being used as a big stick to force them to change their minds. I know a few myself and they are absolutely dug in on this. We've seen 5%-7% say they would get vaccinated and that's where we are now. Boosters should help with those who have responded less well to the initial vaccine.

Wouldn't say it defeats the purpose. Its not that black and white I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

The reality is that there will be unvaccinated people serving and cooking your food, pulling your pint, servicing your room in a hotel etc. High proportion of young people in hospitality.

There is little purpose to checking vaccine status at this stage, and no they should not be forced to be vaccinated because of an illogical fear of the small proportion of unvaccinated. Are you worried about them or you? You could have just as easily been infected by the group of unmasked tourists you were close enough to to hear their conversation - the irony.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

I’ve read a good few studies. There is no evidence of waning in healthy individuals across the board. Their memory cell immunity remains robust. It doesn’t prevent infection but will help the immune system deal with Covid much more effectively. For those who are in nursing homes, are immunocompromised and other vulnerable groups - a booster could help maintain or generate an antibody response which could help prevent them getting moderate or severe Covid infection, which may be better for that group instead of the slightly delayed memory cell response that works well for healthy individuals.

This recent nature study is also very interesting, it suggests that an infection following vaccination can help produce a very robust immune system response to deal with Covid.

• Advertisement

Right, that's true, effectiveness against severe sickness remains at an elevated level.

The issue is 1) waning against infection and transmission (20% by month 7 post-second dose), 2) that effectiveness against severe sickness isn't close to total, it's in the region of 80-90% relative to unvaccinated, with up-to-date studies.

If 100% of people are vaccinated say, and infection and transmission is unencumbered 7+ months post 2nd dose, and vaccination is 80-90% effective against hospitalisation, then...if society is opened up as normal (nightclubs etc) the numbers hospitalised in this scenario will be far too high.

In summer this would be fine, but not in winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ConorBDeNiro

Does anyone know why the number of new confirmed cases of hospitalisations has been higher than the number of discharges for the last few days, but the number of confirmed cases in hospital has been dropping?

It doesn't seem to add up but maybe I'm missing something obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Hospital numbers down 16 this morning.

That's 3 days in a row that we've seen hospital numbers drop. Which hasn't happened since early September.

This is generally an indicator that discharges are beginning to catch up with admissions and that numbers will plateau if not drop over the coming days/weeks.

If numbers are back below 400 and dropping by Halloween, what will be the response then?

What if we're in mid-200s territory and stable or dropping by mid-November?

Again to NPHET's credit they had suggested that was theoretically needed was a 3-week "wait and see" period before deciding what to do next, but that wasn't a practicality so the reopening should move ahead.

But that doesn't mean we shouldn't aim to continue responding to changes in hospital numbers - up or down.

This recent nature study is also very interesting, it suggests that an infection following vaccination can help produce a very robust immune system response to deal with Covid.

And yep, there've been a few preprints in the last year showing strong immunity arising from vaccination + infection. I noticed yesterday in the NPHET briefing that they mentioned strong immunity in this scenario. It's the wrong time of year to be suggesting it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Afaik, "discharges" only counts actual discharges. Someone who recovers from covid while in hospital (i.e. returns a negative test) but remains in hospital, is removed from the covid numbers but not listed as a discharge.

Given the high level of hospital outbreaks, we should expect to see a bit of this over the next week.

The ICU numbers don't work the same; if someone is admitted to ICU with covid complications, they remain a "covid ICU" case until discharged back to gen. pop.

(Don't quote me on any of this, it's been a few months since I looked at these numbers properly)

If the hospital numbers keep dropping we’ll be back to the pre hysteria 10 days or so ago numbers.

The same numbers that people were saying we had to open up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,632 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Imagine having to show a covid cert on a bus - the journey would take hours lol

• Registered Users Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

It's not a blind assumption. It's based on the available evidence.

The data shows a vaccinated person is roughly twenty times less likely to require hospitalisation than an unvaccinated person.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,249 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Seeing as you were suggesting the other day we should build a new Covid Hospital maybe you contributed to the "hysteria" as much as anyone else .

• Advertisement

The data shows a vaccinated person is roughly twenty times less likely to require hospitalisation than an unvaccinated person.

This isn't longitudinal or controlled data though, it's just population data that doesn't account for many confounders (you'll hear the word 'behaviour' a lot in the next few weeks). Advocates for vaccination-only public health measures were assuming that population data is the same thing as a controlled experiment. It isn't, and that's why the assumption is now breaking down as population data catches up with reality.

Longitudinal data on infection is available from some manufacturers, e.g. for the AZ vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Hospital numbers drop for the third day in a row

I don't see a word about this on RTE or any other news site

If the numbers were increasing it'd be the main headline accompanied by quotes from doctors in Mayo and Offaly

Anyone that says the media in this country don't have an agenda needs their head examined

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's there on RTE in the middle of another article on outbreaks. It's become a pattern with them to drop such stuff into existing articles.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭B2021M

Yes! Not a mention about people packed on buses and trains for significant periods of time. Return to full capacity on public transport a likely cause of increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭B2021M

Yes and it's even more serious than that. They have agendas about other things that aren't as obvious. They lead public opinion and have incredible power.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Holohan being quoted saying that compliance has "slipped" in the last few weeks.

Effectively everyone is vaccinated, what do NPHET expect to happen?

They really are tone deaf and these lectures are surely doing more harm than good at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Honest question, if there was an election in the morning. Would you agree with having to show a covid cetificate to enter the polling station?

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

It's up to the lady in question if she wants to get vaccinated or not. It's absolutely no ones else's business. She should be allowed travel, work, drink and eat where she wants.

If only we were allowed drink where we want in this country!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭Xander10

Advertisement