Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TXFM (formerly much missed Phantom) line up

Options
1757677787981»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,073 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

There are a lot of ex-TXFM presenters around Today FM this evening. Firstly, Matt Cooper had Dee Reddy and John Caddell (also PD for TXFM) on The Last Word talking about music. Then, at 7pm, Tara Harrison stood in for Ed Smith. Now Kelly-Anne Byrne is standing in for Paul McLoone since 9pm, which she was last night as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

There are a lot of ex-TXFM presenters around Today FM this evening. Firstly, Matt Cooper had Dee Reddy and John Caddell (also PD for TXFM) on The Last Word talking about music. Then, at 7pm, Tara Harrison stood in for Ed Smith. Now Kelly-Anne Byrne is standing in for Paul McLoone since 9pm, which she was last night as well.

Cathal funge on Sunday standing in for Ed Smith. Nice hearing him again.

On another note, started listening to 8radio after Dave fanning at the weekends. Great they have presenters (been a while since I listened ) and great addition. One of the shows goes through a classic album and talks about tracks. Good listen too

Cathal funge on Sunday standing in for Ed Smith. Nice hearing him again.

On another note, started listening to 8radio after Dave fanning at the weekends. Great they have presenters (been a while since I listened ) and great addition. One of the shows goes through a classic album and talks about tracks. Good listen too

That's Dan McDermott. Last Sunday, someone I know, who happens to listen to 8Radio, brought up with me that show and the presenter Dan. He certainly goes into great detail about everything to do with the album. One of the other presenters you might hear on 8Radio over the weekend is Simon Maher, owner of the station, and, of course, the original founder of Phantom. One show I particularly look forward to is the A to Z of Great Tracks presented by Steve Conway (another ex-Phantom presenter) . It's first broadcast on Wednesday evenings at 8pm and repeated on Saturdays at 10am. He finally reached songs beginning with the letter U last week, after spending 10 months on songs starting with the letter T! Songs beginning with "The" took up a couple of months!

Going back to the previous topic, there are certainly a lot of ex-TX FM people connected to Today FM in some capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Richie McCormack also doing sports presenter

Wonder what happened to Richie Ryan & Charlotte?

Early Brexit causalities? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Richie McCormack also doing sports presenter

Wonder what happened to Richie Ryan & Charlotte?

Early Brexit causalities? :eek:

Richie McCormack and Charlotte in the mornings on phantom was a great listen. Some 8 years ago? I don’t think I’m looking at it with rose tinted glasses, but good banter with tunes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Richie McCormack and Charlotte in the mornings on phantom was a great listen. Some 8 years ago? I don’t think I’m looking at it with rose tinted glasses, but good banter with tunes

Not my cup of tea at all. Almost, but not quite as bad as Joe & Kieth.

Of all the Phantom and TXFM years, Cathal Funge was by a country mile the best breakfast show presenter(sorry Sinister Pete :o) IMO of course

• Registered Users Posts: 19,661 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Adiaga 2 wrote: »
    Not my cup of tea at all. Almost, but not quite as bad as Joe & Kieth.

Of all the Phantom and TXFM years, Cathal Funge was by a country mile the best breakfast show presenter(sorry Sinister Pete :o) IMO of course

It just goes to show, horses for courses. I loved Joe and Keith on Txfm. I know I'm in the minority here, but I like what I like.

everlast75 wrote: »
    It just goes to show, horses for courses. I loved Joe and Keith on Txfm. I know I'm in the minority here, but I like what I like.

Just a small point: Joe and Keith were on Phantom breakfast, not TXFM. In December 2013, Keith Walsh officially went on leave but never came, turning up on 2FM. Just before the name-change, Joe and Charlotte Flood co-hosted breakfast.

There was a brief period in March 2014 when the station did not have a name (just being called 105.2), where Paul Donnelly hosted a low-profile breakfast show. This was Paul's first involvement with the station. Then TXFM was officially launched with Cathal Funge as breakfast presenter as per beginning of this very thread! Joe Donnelly was moved to the afternoon/drive-time slot.

My favourite day for TXFM was during 2016 when they went all 1991. The music was great - I did not realise until then just how much good music had been produced on that particular year.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,661 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Just a small point: Joe and Keith were on Phantom breakfast, not TXFM.

I was a listener to the phantom pirate radio days back in the late 90's early 2000's. Won a pair of tickets to see the Wedding Present in Whelans too while working the night shift in a rentacar place in the airport. Good times :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

everlast75 wrote: »
    I was a listener to the phantom pirate radio days back in the late 90's early 2000's. Won a pair of tickets to see the Wedding Present in Whelans too while working the night shift in a rentacar place in the airport. Good times :)

I was politely asked "not" to enter the competitions as i was always first on the phone...probably half my cd collection came from there....:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

The best breakfast show on Phantom/TXFM was the Richie/Michelle Doherty combo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Michelle was great on Nightshift on Channel 6. Sadly TV3 cancelled the show when it bought the station, because it didn't want music lovers watching the channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Michelle was great on Nightshift on Channel 6. Sadly TV3 cancelled the show when it bought the station, because it didn't want music lovers watching the channel.

or maybe music fans got their music news and videos from You Tube and the like

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

No, I'd have to give it to Sinister Pete. I have never understood why radio stations think you need 2 presenters on a breakfast show. You don't, all you needed was Sinister Pete and the Weather Bike!!

That being said, I thought the 2 Richies Show had excellent potential, but alas it was pulled when the show was only in its infancy!

or maybe music fans got their music news and videos from You Tube and the like

It was in the wrong place, at the wrong time, as YouTube was becoming a dominant force in the music world.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Ciaran

BaronVon wrote: »
    No, I'd have to give it to Sinister Pete. I have never understood why radio stations think you need 2 presenters on a breakfast show. You don't, all you needed was Sinister Pete and the Weather Bike!!

Agreed. The style of the show was exactly what I wanted in the morning. Too grumpy for banter at that time of day!

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭dmm82

Ciaran wrote: »
    Agreed. The style of the show was exactly what I wanted in the morning. Too grumpy for banter at that time of day!

I'm the same! Why do morning show djs think they have to try and be comedians, drives me insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

BaronVon wrote: »

That being said, I thought the 2 Richies Show had excellent potential, but alas it was pulled when the show was only in its infancy!

Sinister Pete was excellent! Loved his shows!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Poor Jack sounds very nervous on nova....i guess Haze is standing over him .....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,750 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Was trying to think of the name of that sci fi show, ‘X Minus 1’, only recently.

Used to get a “kick” out of listening to that on Sunday nights. Mad sci fi radio dramas from the 50’s. Absolute genius from whomever came up with the idea to run that.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

I don't get why did communicorp put so much effort into rebranding Phantom as TX only to not reapply for the licence a year or two later?

The station was rebranded in March 2014 and also linked more to Today FM. I believe it was their last attempt at trying to make the station a financial success. It was a 10-year license that started on October 31st 2006 so they had effectively two more years to see how things were going. It was March 2016, I think, when they announced that they would not be applying for renewal of the license for TXFM, which was due to run out by October 31st 2016. This was crunch time - the powers that be had to decide whether it worth their while renewing/reapplying. At that stage, I am guessing that they felt it was not likely to turn the corner in a meaningful way. So they pulled the plug on TXFM.

Advertisement