Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Proposed New suckler Scheme

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

To a dairy farmer the calf is not the be all and end all of it .The milk production is what its about .Would a calf worth a bit extra be worthwhile to him if it meant milk production was lessened ?

Yes ,I agree subs are subs no matter what they are dressed up as market support ,investment on farm ,environmental schemes etc etc .What we are then arguing about is the means to collect that sub .So if it was decided tomorrow morning that jersey cross calves would get all the subsidy payment would people be happy to keep them ?

Betcha people would be out complaining about getting rid of their lovely cows with generations of breeding behind them and having to look at shivery little coloured rags in the field .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

I do three types of farming, I have suckler cows, I rear dairy calf to beef & I buy stores for beef. I sell between the Mart & the factory. Of the three the suckler is consistently the best preforming & takes up less of my time than the rearing dairy calves. My cows are average cows that have been bred on the farm for years, they are easy managed, quite & know when they see me opening gates that they are been moved & generally move along freely. From May until October, I walk thru them twice a day to ensure all is ok and that's about the height of the work. The next best paying is buying stores, but you need to be able to spend time around the ring for that, as there is skill in picking cattle that will go on for u. Never by group as there is always a dodge in there somewhere, you also need to keep an eye on movements & ages, loosing 20 -30 cent / kg on an animal can be the difference between profit & loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭dh1985

That's the point I am making paddy regarding the calves. The dairy men want the best outcome for themselves, dont we all,and expecting them to start producing better beef calves for the beef man is a unlikely occurrence if it impact there bottom line regarding milk outputs. So the talk from bass of the diary calf improving in recent times is a false narrative.

On the subs side of it I said i agree, disagree or even mention additional suckler subsidies. I was addressing the fact all sectors of farming are subsidised to a certain degree including dairy calf to beef.

If the Jersey calf was subsidised there would be men to farm them too!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,976 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

This is it, the BETTER calf to beef farms were only set up in the last couple of years. There was absolutely no research done in the 2010-2016 period when Teagasc and Jack Kennedy were pushing the Greenfield model and the JE cross breds. There was multiple research done on rearing dairy heifers and huge attempt to try to encourage beef farmers to go rearing dairy heifers for these better dairy farmers. However the spending was miniscule compared to the spending on Suckler research.

There has being absolutely no research done on dairy calf to beef until 2-3 years ago except for U16 month FR bulls. I actually had a discussion with a Teagasc advisor involved they were showing a margin of 10-150/ unit. I made the point that such a system was unsustainable, his point was you needed numbers. I made the point that 200 would leave you 25k.......for that you had to rear 200 calves and feed 200 bulls at the same time. After thinking about it for over a minute he just walked away. You need to be working at it full-time from Jan-May.

All the research at present Is for finishing as many as possible off grass during the second season.....what a about all year around beef supply. Instead we seemed to be looking for an answer in the lowest priced time of year for beef. There is more research done on meal feeding to cattle( mainly Suckler bred) than on dairy X cattle production. It's hard to believe 65-70% of our total beef production is from the dairy herd.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Dunedin

apologies, just to clarify that the household bills I was referring to were house insurance, electricity, broadband, Car (2) and jeep insurance, car and jeep tax, jeep DOE and circa 5k on holidays. There'd be other bits and bobs but that would be main parts. all in circa 10-15k. 60 acre farm, average 10 hours a week over the year. Being honest, I do enjoy the sucklers. have a decent set up so work is at a minimal and farm is all in one block which eliminates a lot of work that others might have with a fragmented farm. but I do invest a bit into the farm each year on facilities or anything I think will make life easier for me.

Including SFP. If I wasn’t farming I wouldn’t be getting a SFP. My neighbour owns a shoe shop and he doesn’t get it.

😂😂😂 cows are most definitely paying for themselves. And I’ll keep them until such time as they’re not. 😉😉

They should look at sequestration measures as part of any scheme.

Doesnt take many trees to cover the carbon of a diesel car for a year.

Why dont they look at retrofitting cars to run on gas and look in to biogas generation from agri? Could it be the fact that fuel is about 90 cent tax?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

One point that people miss is that the Government does not have to provide a Suckler scheme. This could happen in the future as there is a lot of pressure coming from the climate change lobby groups now all over the world. And with all these new data centers being built they are going to have to reduce the carbon footprint somehow, and sur who's the easy soft target for them only the suckling farmer.Farmers already get a sfp which is decoupled from production. If the Government want to reduce the Suckler cow numbers in Ireland all they have to do is get rid of this scheme, and as an added bonus half of the farmers would end up planting the land if the throw a few quid extra in for them.

The mad thing about it would be the poor oul suckler farmer would then be money in, the biggest losers would be Larry, the marts and Co-ops.

Also the farmers journal as nobody would be buying that rag anymore!!

What you are saying makes common sense, but common sense is not that common. With a movement of BPS from the east of the country west there is a case for no further increase in Suckler cow funding. Most farmers along the west coast have seen an increase in there BPS over the last 5years and will again see an increase over the next few years. If a farmer wants to subsidize the Suckler cow and processor's out of his BPS so be it.

I was down in Kerry a couple of weeks ago and there is an increased interest in sheep with the stronger sheep price. A lad able to wean 0.8-0.9 lambs per ewe is making a few bob. You would keep 8-10 mountain ewes where you keep a large Suckler cow. There would be less work. Store lambs are making over 2/kg. On 100ewes that is probably 6k plus in sales.

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

It’d not go to trees, the better will be leased to Dairy farmers or you’d see more dairy heifer rearing

When you getting your flock number?

Sheep farming isn’t easy, like all other farming in a good setup it can be ran alongside a full time job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

other sectors may well rue the demise of the suckler cow.

farming remains a political force in this country largely due to the large number of small beef farmers. 10 suckler Farmers with 10 cows each are worth more votes than 1 dairy farmer with 100

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭josephsoap

I often ‘tune’ into Elphin mart on a Monday evening - what I cannot understand is the price of in-calf sucklers heifers there - you rearly see one going for less than €2000.

€2000 to €2500 seems to be a standard price.

just thinking now - I would be better selling in calf heifers instead of running sucklers 😁

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Elphin caters mostly to lads farming better quality land (by West of Ireland standards) and is renowned for getting entries of top quality continental cattle. Therefore you wouldn't have much business showing middling type springers about it. There's lots of lads there to buy the tops of springers all year round, think of Martin O'Connors, Doorleys and more that have annual sales that achieve headline price's.

That's not say that there's no good incalfs in any other mart around and indeed I often saw better value elsewhere for comparable stock. However you'd see a greater variety as regards quality in a few of the neighbouring marts. Take Castlerea for example there'd be a more mixed bag of springers about it and you're still in Co. Roscommon.

As for producing springers it's not a simple task either imo. You'll have to buy the heifers to start with, anything nice and ready to bull straight away will be strong money all year round. If you want something flashy that will sell well again then you'll pay for them but lesser type heifers are harder sold and won't make the headlines when the time comes. Then you've to get them incalf (there'll be an odd expensive beef heifer no matter what you do) and carry to near calving. You'll have to hope that Tb doesn't become an issue or you'll be back at the suckling regardless of your wishes. Finally you'll have to get new homes for them and hope that they do the business to gain repeat custom. It will take a few years to get a name at the springer trade and as with everything you could sell 100 good ones and hear nothing but sell 1 bad one and watch what happens.

It's not something I'd bother with tbh, between genomic ratings, stars, calving dates, calf sex, in vogue colours ect I don't know how lad's do it. There was a man locally who used to sell lots of springers year's back. He'd buy a nice heifer of any colour and put them with whatever mongrel of a bull he had at the time. When they'd start springing they'd land back into the mart again and announced as "Running with the half halfbred LM bull, time and appearance". No guarantee of times, no scanning or talk of stars etc and lad's would buy away at them

I see the Rag is trying to create panic again about Suckler farmers. Basically they are highlighting that full time intensive larger suckler's farmers will see there BPS payment fall. No mention that extensive, smaller part-time lads will see there's rise and similar with extensive sheep farmers. Once again they are taking the example of the 1-2 per parish as opposed to the majority.

It an article by some Tool of a journalist so we should not be tool surprised. Selective analysis of a situation. The Rag must have some research done that only intensive Suckler farmers buy the rag

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

God bass if it wasn't for yourself and Jameson running down suckler cows and supporters this thread would have died long ago

If you figure sheep are less work than sucklers, get a few. I could save you the experience by saying don't get them though. They're a ton of labour and meeting the neighbours.

I noticed that Grassroot, they seem to have a dislike for suckler farmers and don't seem to understand that every farm isn't suitable for rearing the dairy industrys cast aways. I was over west for a few days & only suckler cows could turn anything out of this type of land

• Advertisement

I had sheep from when I was 12 years old. Absolutely loved them and constant battle with the father to see could keep more ewes.

got out in 2008 and if I got 100 ewes for nothing now, I firstly shoot the lad that gave them to me (in case he brought more) and similar faith to the ewes then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

''in a good set up'' is the important thing.

Even buying some sheep gates is a start but once sheep go through a handling unit a few times they're no problem. They seem to look forward to getting back to the fields and fly through.

Doing a bit of proper fencing every year is a good idea too...... after 50 yrs I had my whole farm done 😂

Just edited to say I accept that lowland sheep farming is a whole lot easier than hill farming

I've a good neighbour who sold out his small angus herd, nice well adapted stock they were too. We were chatting one day and he very solemnly stood up straight and announced if someone came in the morning and told him he couldn't keep sheep ever again he didn't know how he'd go on. I said to send the same man to me and I'd ask where had he been 😀

They are just a bit far away up the hill. I am happy running my suckler cows without any subsidy, but if there is money to be got I will take it. I don't like the idea of a scheme where if I decide to increase my numbers I will be penalised & I don't like seeing the negativity that the suckler cow is getting at the minute. She has her place & if you do it right you will get paid for what you are doing.

By following the "better farms" plans you will probably go broke.. they are the dream farm or that is what they would be for a lot of lads. Double suckling was done here for years too, but that was a nice bit of work every morning & evening. A lad beside us years ago used to put the calf on the cow the minute she calved her own, for the month of March he slept in the arm chair in the kitchen so he was ready to go to the shed at any time. There isn't time now for part time farmers to doin that. Also you introduced scours and the likes into the herd which affected trive & leave a big vet bill.

This year I calved my 20 cows, 21 live calves & only €20 in the vets for the dehorning paste, Last year I lost 1 calf in a set of twins but there was €270 in the vets. Every year my 20 bucket rearded calves cost me in excess of €500 in vets fees, with resflor, synulox tablets, copper bullets and the likes. If I had time and could be in a mart for a few hour every day to pick up the value cattle, then I would only feed short keep store to beef cattle.. but I haven't the time so I find my 20 sucklers cows and the next best payer for my system.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭josephsoap

What’s your replacement strategy?

do you run a bull with the herd ?

I run a teaser bull and AI for a 8 week period. that way I can pick what bull suits each cow / heifer best. I put a very easy calving bull on heifers mostly AA. Priority is to get a live calf out of a heifer. It's mostly Lmx cows, I would keep the heifers off my best cows and the odd bucket rearded heifer. Any heifer they have would nearly always be kept. I find second & third generation from dairy Limos good cows, they have a nice drop of milk, generally big enough frame & good spins. I am very strict on culling, so to have at least 20 cows a year I would have 24 - 25 to bull. Anything that gives trouble goes, be it bad temper, poor milker or doesn't hold to the AI at the 8th week. I calf outside (paddock beside calving shed) from mid March to mid May. I walk thru my cows every morning and evening during the summer to check for heats & leave them in the crush for AI.

• Advertisement

The tight calving window with cows you know that can calf and wean good calves is important especially if you are a part time operator.

Being able to use AI is good, gives you that flexibility.

I use stock bulls (2) one aa and one limo on about 60 but if lameness comes in to one of the bulls then its a real nuisance.

No I didn't say anyone was doing it wrong. I said what works for me. I said I will take any payment I can get, but that I don't need it to make a profit from my sucklers. I am not that arrogant that I would pass comment on how other farmers are getting on.

But the problem is that if a lad is doing dairy beef he gets no handout. We had a poster state that a suckler's bred steer will kill 40 kgs heavier than a dairyX steer at 22-24 months. However that 40 kgs is subisidized by payments. Suckler payments amount to 160-180 euro, or 4-4.5/ kg for this extra beef. There is no economic advantage to it for the country and lads on good land should not be subsidized to produce it as there is other options available to them.

As well as BPS flow west it negate's the case for any Suckler payments, it especially negate's the case for any extra payments. It's better to redirect Suckler subsidities into better environment payments and into proper dairyX beef research on extensive farming and on poorer quality ground.

At present the UK is preparing legislation to stop long haulage of cattle. I think they are going to reduce to 4-6 hours the length calves can travel in one go. In the same legislation they plan to stop the live export of finished cattle and sheep.How long before France brings in similar legislation.

This will not only see the ending of export of calves but weanlings also. Any subsidity for suckler's should be directed to there reduction. Last year we imported 750k lambs, while processors use them to control prices to an extent they also need them for throughput. We could have a situation in 3-5 years time where certain processing units will close from January to June as they will not have throughput to remain open. You would not have strong winter lamb prices then

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I advised someone a few years ago to change to sheep,

After buying in a lot of sheep last year he has run into bad anthelminitic resistance, when I informed him that some farmers had to get out because of it. He was very disappointed to say the least

Sellers integrity is something of particular concern to me when I go purchasing cattle. I doubt it's all that different from trading within the sheep world. Pure hardship to end up with someone elses problems.

• Advertisement

Question

If there was a scheme of €50-80/hd on dairy cross calves would you sign up?

And that’s your choice

If someone else took it or did a bit of overtime at work for increased pay that’s their choice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Grueller

But staying out is a pyrrhic victory Jjameson. You will still be affected by all of the fallout of the scheme and gain none of the benefits.

A producer has little choice but to sign up in a situation like that. I was totally against both BEAM schemes. That doesn't necessarily make them correct. TBH it would make more sense to pay a subsidity to calf producers as the calves will appear on the ground anyway and production would not increase because of it or decrease if it did not exist. However in general most of it would disappear into dairy farmers pockets if paid on a calf, and into processor's pockets if paid at slaughter. We only have to look back 25+ years ago when there was a winter slaughter premium from January on, processor used to drop the beef price when it was being paid.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Out of curiosity what type of farming do you do? Are you part time?

According to "the experts" lamb produces more methane.

Page 23

I think these numbers make a lot of assumptions, carbon levels can be impacted by inputs.

Why dont they maintain a standard payment not forcing farmers to cut numbers etc and incentivise additional carbon capture / carbon efficiencies on farms?

Looks like us suckler farmers are going to get a "little" bit more money https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/the-new-cap-whats-in-it-for-a-20-cow-suckler-farmer/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

You’ll be able to buy a few more in Carnaross tomorrow night.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Is anyone else suffering from scheme 'burnout' or is it just me?

It's virtually impossible for me to get all my cows and calves into a yard and crush on my own. I am beginning to think the cows are getting burnt out too from weighing, having their worm eggs counted, calves vaccinated, creep fed and dosed. Not to mention trying to stab me at scanning time or when tagging calves or tb testing. Beam worked great for someone finishing 100 cattle over the winter, but for suckler farmers it was just a pain in the arese, we can't just flog a couple of cows to reduce numbers, calves have to be weaned first.

Maybe I'm just getting old, but last time I checked I was younger than the average farmer.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Scheme has to be seen as a positive.

This reference year BS is not though. Why do they need to bother with reference years, it's not as if there's a que of Farmers trying to get into suckling. If anything this extra 1k from the scheme probably won't stop lads getting out. You'll find that it will be next impossible to be in the new Glas and keep a meaningful stocking density of sucklers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

We had them split into groups of 10 cows&calves this year and it worked very well.

With the exception of weighing, when they do a jig on the platform. One went head down into the lowest open space at the bottom of the closed headlock, cutting both feet as she got her front feet wedged between the platform and the headlock. To add insult to injury she managed to aim an accurate kick through the bars of the crush to the hand spraying her wounds. A sedative for them should be a requirement first.

Jayus don’t tell Bass. Hope he has a few close loved ones with him when he hears the news........

Any details available for the dairy- beef calf welfare programme?

I see a €25m fund mentioned but no details.

Edited to say that a quick Google tells me that last year's €20 per calf on up to 20 calves was paid at €20 per calf and had a €5m fund.

This leaves the option to seriously bump the payment or increase the numbers in the scheme to more than 20 per farm, or a combination of both.

If you look back over my posting on this issue I have always qualified my points against too high Suckler support. In places along the west Coast there is little choice but either Suckler cows or sheep at present. This is mainly no research has been carried out on what farm operations are viable on poorer type land.

However any support should not encourage those on muddling to better type land to go into, expand or dare I say it stay in suckler's.

Capping numbers by a quota may seem harsh but it prevents an explosion in supply. Lads can look for extra money off environmental schemes. As well CRISS Greening and convergence will also help smaller farm units on middling type land. Top up on Criss is 44/ HA on first 30 HA. Convergence to 0.85 of the national average will see minimum payment hit 210/ HA. Capping will also start to limits lads ambition.

I had not seen the dairy calf measure that Grueller mentioned. However it is still a very limited fund. But it would allow 500k dairy Criss calves to be weighted at 40/ calf. There is 1.6 million dairy cows. Take away 300k for replacement heifers and 200 k for export it means it's only available to less than 50% if these calves. Having said that it would give a 1600 euro payment to the lad with 40 calves if it went that far.

Finally the government did not pick any stupid options so far as I can see. It avoided an early slaughter bonus which would have transferred funds to meat processor's and it kept the young farmer funding at a minimum rate which is often only a larger farmer/dairy operations slush fund

Slava Ukrainii

Skidoo would be to fancy for my pocket.. would probably be to pampered as well.

Did it even help when they did do research here, the former Teagasc farm outside Leenane had something like 2 km length of silage ground along the Erriff, hardly typical. The suckler research is being done back on good land in Athenry.

It's the research equivalent of "soft talk".

I think the devil will be in the detail for this new scheme. With so much pressure from climate change and the green camp I wouldn't be surprised if they looked for culling of Cows 3 star cows or less

Traditionally Bass, based on AIM figures, 30% of dairy calves are replacement heifers. On 1.6 million cows that is 480,000 replacement heifers.

That leaves, 1.12 million calves. Remove 5% mortality of that and it is roughly 1.07 million calves. Now remove the 200,000 exported (for how many more years is anyone's guess) and we have 870,000 calves eligible for the scheme. Conservative estimates would say that figure would be down to 750,000 with lads not interested in taking part.

Now divide the €25m by the 750,000 and it leaves €33.33 per calf. Its not going to make a lad up to be fair. At 40 calves it is €1,333 of a payment.

If they cap the participation at 50 calves say it may leave a few bob more slushing about to be divided among lads as I know a few farmers around here rearing up to 200 of them at a time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

There’s a video of them on thatsfarming.com, a serious herd of cows.

• Advertisement

Ye they are super stock, might stick my head in for a look tomorrow when I am passing.. would love to have a herd of that quality.

Advertisement