Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭threeball

There's plenty of young players in those intermediate clubs that are unbelievably talented and never get a look in for u16 or minor, never mind senior. If you can choose to ignore a couple of hundred kids every year then happy days. We sure can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Doing something right minor dominance with 4 years

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

I can't see a downside to this.. henry is getting experience at this level..he said in the past DJ should get kilkenny job before him.. cody may just leave next year now to make sure someone else other than Henry follows him..

I heard last week henry expressed interest in u19 s and wasn't considered.. no point him waiting for cody to go.

As otherposters said most recent successful managers had no previous experience at that level

• Registered Users Posts: 5 amber_black

The way I see it if Henry didn't show up for the remainder of the intermediate championship Thomastown would still win it. Their supposed toughest assignment is next. Glenmore are average at best with a few talented hurlers.

Good luck to him in Galway he will certainly gain huge experience taking this job. Whether or not they will close the gap to Limerick in the next year remains to be seeing but I've no doubt he will leave them in a better place and are one of the possibilities to close the gap. Our loss Galway's gain. He will also have plenty of hurlers with potential and experience to pick from......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Well, we better start saving as Henry won't come cheap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Apologies pedantic pat😘 meant meant u20 ..he also expressed interest in u17/minor..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Scenario 1, So you think Henry wouldn't be welcomed as Kilkenny manager because he beat a Kilkenny team under a now unwanted Cody. You definitely don't move in the same hurling circles I do. If there is no vacancy in Kilkenny after his 3 years and he's been a success there why wouldn't he stay on? If there is a vacancy in Kilkenny do you not think cutting out 12 hours of driving a week at a minimum would be just one incentive besides the obvious of managing his own county. I think there is little doubt the Henry would like to manage Kilkenny and would happily leave Galway for Kilkenny and to be honest I think your in a very small minority who wouldn't welcome him back. Will I be happy when his Galway side likely tear us asunder in Pearse Stadium in the Leinster round robin next year no I won't. However I think many counties are likely to beat us next year and I won't be blaming Henry for that, I feel no matter who was over Galway for the next few years their in a much stronger position than we are under Cody.

Scenario 2, He might fail to win the All Ireland this would definitely in his own eyes be viewed as a failure and likely by Galway people too. However you have to be a bit more nuanced about this and he is likely to have an element of rebuilding (not to the extent of other teams) to do in Galway but if there is clear progress and improvements every year then it might not be viewed in general as a failure. Games can just get away from a team on a day or you just come up against a better team. Henry would view that as failure I'm sure and failure to be ready for the other team or scenario. I think Richie O'Neill being with him will lead to a very nice brand of hurling and I think he will be successful.

I completely agree with your last paragraph, I think Kilkenny hurling is in for a rough few weeks and that will lead to a very rough few years at intercounty level. I think we both agree that the rot won't stop until Cody and many in the County Board make way or are forced out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

I'd be very surprised if Henry went looking for the U17 or U20 gig and was turned down. I think his profile is too big for those jobs really but maybe I'm wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 10,376 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

His profile is ?

But is/was his experience ?

This could work out ok for Kilkenny. Sheff is there for 2/3 years, gains the Senior intercounty team experience, and then goes to Kilkenny. having gained the experience.

But then, will we be 'stuck' with Cody, and all that entails (players disgruntled, lack of current tactics , Mossy coming on/off in games :P )

And then will we have fallen so far 'behind' that Sheff wouldnt fancy taking over?

Cody should have been gone/resigned this year - Get DJ in, give him his chance (if he was willing to try it)

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭sportsmaddad

Galway have committed to €750K on County hurlers next year, provided they reach the final. I presume that's completely off the scale compared to Kilkenny budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭therealdonster

Well I'm not for turning!! I still can't believe he has done it and I am someone that knows him - or knew him anyway. His own nephew(s) are involved with Kilkenmy too as well to make it worse.

Maybe the jersey doesn't mean as much to him as much as it does to true supporters. No one can or will dispute his contribution- he has had the greatest GAA let alone hurling career ever. But to go somewhere like that with our recent history with them - I'm just flabbergasted. The job here would have been his one day and he has expressed sentiment that the time wasnt right now as well.

Whether he likes it or not this decision has massively negative connotations for us next year and beyond. And I for one don't want to see him managing us now at any point.

If you know him, will you let him know!!

Would you feel the same way about Brennan? Fennelly? Herity ? managing other counties tho ?

Thats fair enough and your entitled to your opinion and I respect it, although I don't agree with it. If Henry had been passed over by another candidate (other than Cody) and then threw his toys out of the pram and decided to go I'd probably feel a bit like you do but given the current situation in Kilkenny I don't blame him in anyway. In fact I think Cody's inability to recognise his time is up has forced the hand of many Kilkenny men hoping to manage the senior team to go elsewhere. I know/knew Henry too and I totally respect this move and from what I know of him this doesn't surprise me as he's a driven man.

Of course - if and when that happens.

There is no comparison with managing Kildare, Loais & Offaly V's Galway. They are not really rivals - although at our current rate of decline under the current setup that might not be too far away in some of those cases.

Kilkenny first and foremost and always.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Going for 3 in a row in leinster next year .Don't think Kilkenny fear Galway and would fancy us against them anyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Marrooned

It’s not Henry’s fault that he took the Galway job because there wasn’t anything else open to him unless it is true that he was offered the minor or the u20 job which I doubt because those clowns in the county board wouldn’t have the foresight.

It is very disappointing that he has gone ,but as a few posters have said this could be an advantage for the future. Anyway we will have to get our house in order as soon as possible. There is a few issues I would like to raise and get people’s opinions on.

1/ all club reps. Should know what’s going on in the county board as regards managerial appointments.these managers are being ratified year on year and nothing is being said ,if county board members are not happy with this system then they should call an extraordinary general meeting to express their concerns.

2/ The appointment of the same u20 set up is laughable. In the previous two years they have failed miserably how many chances do you get.

3/the minor manager was appointed based on what criteria ( that he is a teacher).

4/This includes all the above points isn’t there supposed to be a sub committee in the county board to pick the managers of these inter county teams ,it seems to me that they are not doing there job if they are not seeking other candidates to form a competition for these jobs ,then hold interviews and pick what is deemed to be the best.

Late late show could be interesting tomorrow night. Apparently davy had a verbal agreement with Galway .That broke in the media before ratification and clubs were not happy. He contacted wexford outgoing management during the week to let them no he would be taking the position. Can't be happy 😭😭

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Tellyium

Galway perspective here so be gentle!

I can only see this being win-win for both counties. The one key ingredient for success for us is respect, and the reaction to the announcement here has really shown the esteem in which Henry is held here.

If not an all Ireland, I’ve no doubt he will leave things in a better place than before. But it won’t be Henry’s fault if we don’t win one because sometimes luck/injuries/referees play a part too.

i have no doubt he will go back to Kilkenny at some stage and will win more with ye than he did with us. He will have learned from his time with us to Kilkenny’s ultimate benefit but he’s a Kilkenny man first and foremost and that’s only right.

put it like this, if he wins one for us and 3(+) for ye, we won’t complain 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭kk.man

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Butterbeans

You're reacting as if the Kilkenny job was somehow Henry's to turn down, or a job that will be become available in the next few years. There's just no evidence that the job will be up for grabs in the next 2, 3 ,4, 5 years.

Whether you want to turn or not, you have to accept the fact that there are plenty of Kilkenny lads that want to manage inter-county, and no doubt Kilkenny Inter-county management is in Henry's sights. But you can't expect lads to just wait around indefinitely.

And your comment on the jersey not meaning as much to Henry as true supporters....you're talking nonsense here, let's call a spade a spade. He wouldn't have 10 all-ireland medals if that was the case, hell, he wouldn't have 10 if hadn't dragged Kilkenny back to a replay against Galway in the 1st AIF 2012

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

In the world of GAA very few if any managers succeed in a number of counties. And by succeed I mean win an All Ireland, not a meaningless provincial title.

After 3 years with Galway a lot of water will have passed under the bridge and there may even be bad blood. So he is unlikely to be a realistic option at that stage.

Teams will also have figured him out and know what to expect from his teams so a certain amount of staleness will also be there. A bit of the Mourinho syndrome (albeit completely different styles/personalities). I would prefer we move on at that point and go for someone else.

It's over with Henry, and it he was doing regardless of the selfishness of Cody and the shocking incompetence of the county board. Let's see where everyone is after all of the upcoming retirements and catastrophe that is going to be 2022.

I still won't be blaming Henry for any of the s*** show to come

I love the irony .....

I don't blame him for the county board **** show or Cody refusing to see the light - but he has done his bit towards ensuring our next few years or who knows how long are not going to be a pretty sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭dzer2

Jesus lads

Wish the man well and when we meet them enjoy the game hopefully we are to good for them.

Any chance of the lotto numbers for tomorrow night? You seem to be able to see the future

Who knows what will happen..all I know is Henry did more for his county and the sport in general than most..its a great coup for galway and an opportunity for him to gain experience..best of luck to him..

A week ago we all thought limerick were the only show in town..now we have cody/ sheflin Fennelly/ shefflin to look forward to..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭ttowncat

What would people have made of it had he taken the Tipp job? Hypothetically.

Advertisement