Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gems of the Horror Film Genre

• 21-10-2021 12:02am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So, as Halloween approaches, the nights close in earlier, the witching season will soon be upon us... 🎃🎃🎃

I know quite a few regulars on AH are horror film fans, but what are the gems, the really clever and disturbing films that left a real mark, as opposed to the obvious scary blockbusters? What would be on your Horrorthon 2021 list, AHers?

One such gem in my DVD collection is sci-fi horror Event Horizon, a film that was criminally underrated at the time of its 1997 release and is worth a watch.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

Event Horizon is a good flick for sure. More recently I liked The Ritual, nothing hugely original with the "lost in the scary woods" trope in full effect but it was well executed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Candyman (the original) is one of the best horror movies ever made IMHO.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I remember when I was younger, I got a DVD of Hallowe'en II in a newspaper. I remember watching it and really liking it. Watched it again on Netflix and it's not the masterpiece I remember it as.

Now, the original is definitely one of the best horror films of all time. Also saw Scream at the cinema recently and it's a wonderful homage to classic horror.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Hereditary was the last horror movie that stayed in the memory for a good time afterwards. I always find horror movies with a satanic undertone to be more memorable than slasher/serial killer types.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

My Horrorthon list would probably be something like this:

Ringu

The Shining

The Mist

Last Shift

[Rec]

Martyrs

Eden Lake

Jacob's Ladder

The Descent

The Midnight Meat Train

Triangle

Oculus

The Autopsy of Jane Doe

Ghost Stories (2017)

Event Horizon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭DJ_Eoghan

The Devils Rejects

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Off the top of my head, more recent than “classic” films:

• It Follows
    • The Host (Korean)
    • Hell House LLC
    • The Others
    • Grave Encounters
    • As Above So Below
    • The Void
    • The Borderlands

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Found the feckless son character incredibly annoying. Not to the level it would ruin the film like with ‘The Babadook’ but still annoying.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Trick R Treat is a modern classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Atticus Jung

I watched Us recently and thought it was well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Too many to list but off the top of my head

Dawn of the Dead (original)

Quatermass and the Pit

The Wicker Man (original)

And this cult classic!

Post edited by BrianD3 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Possum is the best of the modern bunch that I've seen, genuinely unnerving throughout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

I've started to prefer the psychological horrors of recent years. I enjoyed Hereditary, but probably preferred Midsommar. I would also recommend The Witch, which stars Chris Finch (bloody good sales rep).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,443 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I've always preferred the Japanese version of The Grudge over the American one. They make great horror movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

The original A Nightmare on Elm Street. It's reputation has suffered somewhat due to lesser sequels but taken on its own merit is an excellent horror movie

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Trilogy of Terror - Act III (1975)

This three part film is a real gem of the horror genre, especially the terrifying third part where an possessed evil Zuni doll terrorises a thirty something woman in her apartment. Starring the late Karen Black and released in 1975, during the Golden Age of horror film which IMO spanned the 1970s and 1980s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,274 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

The Wicker Man (original, as if it need saying).

Blood On Satan's Claw.

Witchfinder General.

All great examples of British folk horror from the 60s and 70s. This even seeped into childrens tv of the period. Children Of The Stones is pure folk horror. Very spooky opening sequence.

Post edited by Hangdogroad on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

I used to love the old Hammer Horrors, there was a time in the late 80’s that they were in regularly. Prince of Darkness and The Devil Rides Out were my favorites.

Love the Hammer movies with Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing. Also Roger Cormans Edgar Allen Post movie adaptations with Vincent Price. RTE did a season of them one year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Psycho is definitely up there. Pretty much started the slasher genre and it stands the test of time. Hitchcock even throws Freudian psychoanalysis into the mix (although he did this with a lot of his films). There is a lot going on in this movie. It works on many levels.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Nowhere near as gory as the title suggests, and it's all the better for it. Tobe Hooper knows how to create suspense and an eerie atmosphere. The cinematography is top-drawer, too. It also works as a tale of the decline of industrial capitalism. They don't make them like this anymore.

Halloween. An obvious choice, but hard to argue with. Suspense, not gore, is the way to go. Something that all the sequels (except Part II) seemed to forget!

Scream was mentioned above. A good call. It kickstarted the genre in the 90s, giving it a much needed sense of postmodernist irony, mixed with a dash a self awareness.

Ringu. A masterpiece. Enough said.

There is a Spanish movie called REC that's really good, too. The Descent should also get a mention.

Post edited by mzungu on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

Halloween III : Season of the Witch. I think this film is very underrated. Sure, its highly silly in parts, but half of that is the fun of it, its not meant to be a chilling terrorfest anyways. The pacing, sequential editing and the sets are all brilliantly crafted. Dan O'Herlihy is brilliant in it and at least they utilise our own ancient festival of Samhain, the actual origin of 'Halloween' into the storyline. Its on Netflix currently at the moment.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

The jingle from the ‘Silver Shamrock’ ads will be stuck in your head for a long time after. Years even.

The remake was pretty “full on”, where the original pans away the remake zoomed in.

Would go well paired with ‘Bone Tomahawk’.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

I prefer movies with a creepy, eerie, ominous atmosphere, rather than all-out horror and gore.

Vargtimmen (Hour of the Wolf) and the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre do it nicely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The directors cut of event horizon is about the only scene in movies I can't watch

All kinds of fcuked up

Great movie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

A relatively recent movie I find quite disturbing is Sinister with Ethan Hawke

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Must admit, don't think I've seen the 1977 version. Was thinking the 2006 version.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭ErnestBorgnine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

'Near Dark' from 1987 is very very very enjoyable. I think it may still be up on 'shudder'

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

The Ghostbusters remake was a horror.

On topic, Suspiria (1977) was a classic.

Rewatched The Omen recently. The original with Gregory Peck. Still a good horror movie.

An American Werewolf In London, healthy dose of black humour among the scares.

Neil Jordans the Company Of Wolves, very different type of werewolf film. All kinds of weird Freudian stuff going on and very gruesome transformation scene early on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

The Changeling (1980) has some nice moments of terror, including a post-séance scene that really makes the hair stand on end. Don't watch the trailer on YouTube; it's full of spoilers

The Innocents (1961) has some very spooky scenes:

A film which scared the bejaysus out of me at the tender age of 14 was Stephen King’s Salem’s Lot (1979). I had nightmares for months afterwards... 😰😱😱

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,566 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

'Day of the Dead' (1985).

Grim, nasty, and has some of the best practical gore effects ever put onto film. It's part of George Romero's original zombie trilogy, but it can be watched on its own cos nearly everyone is familiar with what a zombie apocalypse looks like nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

This is an absolute gem of an indie horror movie.

American Mary is a 2012 Canadian body horror film written and directed by Jen and Sylvia Soska and starring Katharine IsabelleAntonio Cupo, and Tristan Risk. Isabelle plays a destitute medical student who begins taking clients from the extreme body modification community to solve her financial troubles.

It's on Netflix at the moment.

Hellraiser (1987). Stunning debut by Clive Barker. Intelligent, serious, original and very gruesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Zac Snyder's remake of Dawn of the Dead. One of the first zombie movies at the time where the zombies could actually run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭Dynomutt

"House of the Devil" and "The Void" really feel like they were made in the '80s and are pleasing if you like John Carpenter films.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭Dynomutt

For an Irish based horror, "Wake Wood" is sufficiently creepy. It stars a non-whispering Aidan Gillen and, whom I thought was Amy Huberman, but instead turned out to be Eva Birthistle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

One of my favourites

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Great thread guys, can rewatch some forgotten movies.

How about more of Wes Craven

A bit of Voodoo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Actually speaking of Voodoo, how about this one? Angel heart, my favourite one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I hate it when you have to say.. the original..because I remember it been released and I feel like an old bollocks now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Demons and its sequal from the 80s Germany

Pet cemetery

Halloween before Jamie Lee Curtis hit Menopause although the new one is actually quite good and like number 4 which is the best

Dawn of the Dead

Night of the living dead

Dog Soldiers.

I know it's not a movie,

But a few of the seasons of American Horror Story are good..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,443 ✭✭✭Riddle101

It Follows is pretty good. It's a good psychological horror movie that makes you think.

• Advertisement
Advertisement