Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭OldRio

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

If form was the only metric for inclusion. Carberry would be nowhere near the team. Carty’s form has been what it always is, erratic.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

As I said before, coaches will often go for the more reliable option even if performing worse (to a point) over the option that might perform better but might perform worse. That certainty of performance from week to week matters. You can’t build around a guy when you have no clue from one game to the next how he’ll perform. Carty himself knows this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Based on what we've seen so far in Farrell's tenure, Carty isn't competing with Carbery or even Harry Byrne. He's competing with Ross Byrne for the fifth-choice spot.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

That selection policy also led to us having the 2019 season where we tried to play people into form when it just wasn't working and they never improved

I think Carty/Burns should be in the squad over H,Byrne mainly due to the fact they have played top level rugby and sadly for Harry been able to play a good few games from the beginning in a row without getting injured.

Carberry is in a funk but will get out of it. I don't know the guy personally so I don't know if the arm around the shoulder we are sticking with you and starting you is what's needed and that's why he's getting bigger games over Healy who is playing better and why he's in the squad

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I think what OldRio was getting at is that Carbery's form has been consistent over the last while. Consistently poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

Because I am, if I see parts of our team improve in area's I have been critical of then I will hold my hands up and say I was wrong but sadly I havent been proven wrong consistently, its nice having the odd game where it works but if what we saw against England isnt on evidence this Autumn then what ive said sadly hasnt been disproven. The term "being open minded" means by definition being open to new idea's which I am if I see evidence to do so. Ive already changed my position on the pack in 2021, before I thought it was soft as **** and now I think its arguably the best pack to perform as a unit in the NH in 2021... I dont know why you think acting like a twat makes you look clever here because it doesn't, maybe to other pee headed posters like TRC but other than that... anyway that enough on this as all its doing is dragging the topic off course, if you continue with this I know where you will be heading from my perspective anyway.

@TRC10

By spamming the chat you mean making logical and reasonable opinions on a topic and making solutions to the problem and then you dont like what ive said or arguing against it other than by throwing insults my way. Its a funny way of interpreting it, calling it "sh*te" or "tedious" makes you look like a big strong man doesn't, trying to play off the fact you really don't know what you are talking about as if you are the intelligent person in this discussion that know's what you are talking about...sadly for you there is only a handful of people you are fooling in this situation. Maybe you need to grow a pair of balls yourself and treat others opinion's with a bit of respect and not brand it as "sh*te" just because you dont agree with it and if you continue being a twat you will be going to same way as aloooof. Now change the subject back to Ireland rugby thanks.

That “selection policy” isn’t unique to Ireland though. If you don’t know what you’re going to get from a player then it’s really hard to justify his selection. Especially in such a pivotal position. Harry Byrne has been in camp consistently and has obviously shown enough, given his age, to warrant inclusion. Carty has 7 or 8 years on him so that will impact the decision making too. Whatever issues Byrne might have in his game can be ironed out. Carty isn’t likely to change much at this stage in his career.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Doak has shown more at senior level that H Byrne. I'm not saying hes a bad player but he can't string sequences of games together without getting injured. So no we don't know what he can do at that level because we don't see what goes on in training.

I'd rather see Billy burns there ahead of him a player who starts big games for Ulster. H Byrne has in reality done very little in a provincial jersey. If there was a big game tomorrow I seriously doubt he'd be in the 23 for Leinster. Like if he was putting genuine pressure on Sexton I'd accept the argument but he's not.

Have him in camp fine, learn, grand, current 3rd choice in Ireland, he is not

I don't think it's too much to ask that player's playing for Ireland are in form and are regulars for their province

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Burns starts big games in Ulster as they have no one else, would have him Sexton, both byrnes and even frawley at outhalf if he was Leinster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,969 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Quite evidently, the Ireland management know what they'll get from Billy Burns and it cuts no mustard.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

If the biggest knock against Carty is inconsistency, there are steps that could be taken to mitigate the negatives. There are other players capable of taking kicks at goal, a facet of the squad that ought be developed anyway. Outside of Sexton, he's the only OH who has shown an ability to create attacking opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

The biggest knock against Carty is that he's not good enough.

He's sixth choice for Ireland at a time when we are very short on quality out-halves.

Goal-kicking is the least of his worries I'm afraid.

I can't agree with that. Being inconsistent isn't the same as not being good enough. I'd rather see him lining out, knowing there's a possibility he can do something, versus Bryne or Carberry, who haven't shown that they produce at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

If he makes it to Feb in one piece!

This is a situation created by Farrell and the IRFU. I would have cut the link after his last contract.

What are Ireland hoping to achieve by picking Sexton in this Nov Squad? Beating NZ? That would be good and all (it wont happen!) and esp. good for Farrell – but therein lies the issue.

It doesn’t serve the team well going into another 6N with a 36 y.o. Johnny steering the ship in my opinion.

You simply can't beat the sands of time. Farrell is playing an increasingly risky game.

We finally have a fit Carbery and an exciting prospect in Harry Byrne. Also, Ben Healy now challenging Carbery. All young, talented and motivated. They should be the ones given the chance to call the shots now.

I was hoping that they may have resigned Sexton in a "break glass in case of emergency" role. Its time to move on.

And for what its worth Doak should be in the squad. He has pedigree and He is ready. Ruan Pienaar II

"...if you continue with this I know where you will be heading from my perspective anyway."

The naughty step?

If you want to keep telling yourself you've been proven right, when before the England you were telling us that Ross Byrne delivers the same performance against England as Sexton, have at it. Even after the England game, you doubled down and wouldn't admit you were wrong.

In any case, I see zero value in continuing this, so for the sake of everyone else on here, I'll leave it there. (#gutless, right?).

Post edited by aloooof on

One observation on the 10 situation; fair to say we've picked out 3 most injury prone 10's? There's a decent chance 1, even 2 of them could be injured come RWC time.

Personally, I'd like to see Sexton starting just the NZ game and getting as much time into Carbery and HB as possible in the other Tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭ersatz

I wish we were in a situation where Sexton is there in addition to a younger ten who is reliable and starting regularly, but we aren't there unfortunately, partly because we haven't got that other ten, partly because of injuries, partly because of poor succession planning and partly just bad luck. I rewatched the 1/4 final against the All Blacks again, and last Summer's Japan test. The AB's game was one of the worst half back performances I've seen. Both Sexton and Murray were hopeless and the AB's were feasting off their mistakes, Murray's game was one of those you'd say should ensure he never plays a test again. When Sexton went off we still hadn't scored. We should keep performances like this in mind when taking for granted that Sexton is miles ahead of where others can get to, he is consistent but he has bombed quite often in his test career.

I get that position. As I’ve said myself, I don’t think Harry has earned his place. If you look back over the conversation you’ll see I had Burns ahead of him too.

However, I also get that Byrne has a higher ceiling than Burns. And given his age he has more room to grow and develop and could be around for a lot longer than Burns. So it’s a trade off in that respect and I understand why Farrell went the way that he did, even if I’d have done something slightly different myself. After all, our options at 10 are not good. So why not give the young guy with potential a good opportunity now? It’s not like we have much to lose in that regard anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I'm actually OK with the third choice out half being there based on potential. The same as Casey was there last year based on potential.

However burns should be there ahead of carberry. Carberry is in poor form, hasn't really the credit in the bank and is incredibly injury probe. He does not deserve to be there, and I'm saying that as a munster fan. The next best outhalf in Ireland is burns. Carty was the best outhalf in Ireland last week, and the worst the week before. You just can't trust him and hence he shouldn't be in the Ireland conversation.

I find the squad a very good balance of youth and experience. Winger is the area that is a little disappointing with earls there but there isn't really anyone that should feel they deserve to be there.

Again I find it strange that Haley misses out. I know he's only a full back but if keenan missed a tournament I'd have him as the next best full back and for that reason I'd have him in these wider squads.

• Advertisement

My issue is with the OH selection in the squad is if Sexton gets injured in minute one of game one and can't play for the November series I see Ross Byrne starting over the other 2 in the squad. That's more an indictment of Carberrys form that Harry's ability

Yeah Byrne being the future and being in camp makes sense

Carberry being there at the moment doesn't, and yeah it's an argument about a second choice OH but Ireland shouldn't be playing Johnny this November,

at a point competitive starts and depth in minutes played needs to be created ( and that's hasn't happened because of many reasons)

Fear of life without Johnny needs to start to be prep for life without

• Registered Users Posts: 3,932 ✭✭✭TRC10

Doak has shown more at senior level that H Byrne.

No he hasn't.

I like Doak a lot but that is just factually incorrect.

Byrne's development had been hindered by injuries but he's been playing for Leinster since 2019 and he has had some very good games. Byrne also has a European appearance and an Ireland cap.

I sense some recency bias there because Byrne has been injured lately while Doak has been playing well. But to say Doak has shown more at senior level just isn't true.

That's not to detract from Doak, who is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I know what he was getting at. I was just saying form doesn’t always guarantee inclusion or exclusion. Though at the same time Carty’s form hasn’t screamed inclusion either. Apart from Sexton and possibly Burns no one has.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

I wasnt wrong, look at the R.Byrne performance versus England to Sexton's performance in March 2020 versus England.

Folks are rightly criticising putting too much investment in Sexton, yet Murray seems to be sailing by unmentioned. He's not been in good form for a long while, to be generous. How Farrell decided to take 3 of the Munster pivot players, when their back play is arguably the poorest out of all the provinces is a mystery. Only Casey could be said to be there on form and potential. Doak looks to be the best SH prospect in a long while. He should be getting invested in over a washed Murray and bang average JGP.

We desperately need to move away from the Murray-Sexton axis.

It just doesn't work anymore. It's had it's day and belongs in 2018. We need a 9 who plays direct, round the corner and at a high tempo.

Calling JGP band average is very harsh. He's a decent albeit not world class player. You can clearly see why Farrell likes him as he plays the game the way Farrell wants to. Very quick delivery, likes to take a few steps and commit fringe defenders and is a running threat. He was excellent v Japan in the summer.

I can see him being a stop-gap player while Casey develops. Similar to how Herring was for Kelleher.

“Similar to how Herring was for Kelleher.”

Didn’t Herring start 4 of the 6 Nations games while Kelleher just started against Italy?

Kelleher is definitely the future, but Farrell seems to like Herring so it seems premature to assume Kelleher has surpassed him already.

Nah I think Kelleher is definitley 1st choice now.

I could be wrong of course, but I'm 90% sure he starts against NZ

He's was unreal in the summer and the experience of being away with the Lions looks to have elevated him as he's started the season really well.

He's the epitome of the modern day hooker, basically a 4th back rower. He has the potential to be one of, if not the best hooker in the world. Up there with Taylor, Marx and Marchand.

Himself and Sheehan are locks to be in the 23 for the 6Ns. You can't leave that talent sitting in the stands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Leinster have a phenomenal talent for developing quality layers in the same position. Porter/Furlong mc grath/Healy a pile of back rows but then struggle to get a top class 9.

Advertisement