Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Nah I'd say she really thought she could live the celebrity lifestyle within the confines of the royal family. This is very, very much plan B for her.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I think that she thought it would be just A+++ list and that she could heavily capitalise being a royal, but still very much do her own thing as and when she wanted.

Now, I'm pretty sure that Harry would have told her that wasn't possible. And possibly every royal she discussed it with, and every royal employee as well. But she thought she could just bulldoze everyone to do what she wanted. But it's not everyone - it's an institution that's there pretty much through the graces of the British public.

She'll still try to capitalise on being a royal though. It just won't bring in the billions or the accolades she thought it would. She's trying to become the next Diana, but Diana was never in it for the money. Fame possibly, but never money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

I think she never intended to stay in Great-Britain and 'work' as a royal there. It was always her plan, when gotten married, (and having a kid) to go back to the US as soon as possible. She's very 'clever' in anticipating situations and people and I think it was obvious for her after her first visit to the UK as Harries girlfriend she never wanted to settle there, especially not with kids. People and culture where alien to her and the prospect of sticking to these royal traditions, sacrificing her life and that of her kids to it, never do I believe she ever considered this seriously. even playing second fiddle to Kate all her life must have been enough for her.😁

If her plan to use her duchess, royal status or however to call it works out moneywise now back in the US is a different story, but being married to Prince Harry (or after the divorce still 'was' being married) and having two kids of him is the life long insurance for the glamour (and money) she wanted and got. my belief anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Be right back

It seems like that she was well used to getting her own way all her life and thought that marrying into the Royal family would be no different. When she couldn’t, she threw a tantrum and decided to bad mouth them all!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

Many monarchies are slimming down and the British one is no different. It's aiming to be streamlined towards the direct line of succession. Harry's prospective family would have been facing the prospect of demotion under such plans (e.g. no HRH titles for the kids). They wouldn't be the only one's affected under such plans. They both knew what the protocol would have been and how the writing was on the wall for them. He was a minor rank and file working royal and once his dad becomes King then his brother would become Prince of Wales and inherit the Duchy of Cornwall. The prospect of deriving an income from his brother must have been a motivator to jump ship (part time at least). In parallel, you likely had a Dunning-Kruger addled Meghan being an absolute head melt for staff and it's plausible that tension and arguments between them all evolved into serial bullying via a perceived power imbalance (i.e. staff advising them because they are “advisors” and this being taken as an affront or slight by a self-righteous, perma-victim Meghan). I suspect this behaviour was covered up to protect them both and the Palace violated a duty of care policy. Taking all the above into account you add in a holdover PR firm telling them that their brand is worth multi-millions and they would covertly make plans to step away citing toxic media coverage as well as an unwillingness by the Palace to confront it as their reasoning for stepping away. They are never to blame being a common theme.

They'd make sure to draw a distinction between the family and the institution (i.e. the grey suits). It was all set to go according to plan when Megxit was announced. They are probably so self-absorbed that they thought their brand was an asset to the BRF and they would actually entertain their half in/half out plans. In reality, they were all probably delighted to see the back of their chaos and as a compromise they were given a 12 month sabbatical to establish their financial independence. Covid put the brakes on that and, lacking any wherewithal or any talent for leadership, they were reduced to irrelevancy. When the stark reality of their situation hit home with the money getting cut off then a mutual malignant streak came to the fore and, out of spite, they wanted to tarnish and smear those who refused to kowtow to their wishes. In addition, there was the elephant in the room regarding the bullying and the power of the Palace to torpedo them with it where and when necessary. Their gambit was then to engage with Oprah and generate their victim narrative of the toxic and racist Palace who were hell bent on destroying their mental health and their reputations with a smear campaign. Any accusations of bullying would be dismissed as the Palace looking to destroy a couple dependent on their compassion credentials. In short, a pair of supporting players who grossly over estimated their value and talent and, via acting like narcissistic sh*t heads, are now seeing their chickens coming home to roost while the machine of the BRF happily continues without them.

Post edited by valoren on

• Advertisement

Do as I say and not what I do, comes to mind. If only she really cared for her and Harry’s families. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10115613/Meghan-accused-using-royal-title-meddle-politics.html

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I attempted to read the letter. It's a very very longwinded way of saying very little, imo.

She really enjoys using that title, despite everything 😂! 'As ever...Meghan, Duchess' etc' 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭JoChervil

She is supposed to be privately educated but somehow hasn't learnt that you use either: paragraph indent or inter-paragraph space. But not both.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Her handwriting is something else.

Beautiful, but I don’t know how anyone would have the energy to put so much effort into such any every day task.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Be right back

She would have loved to put the heading of the letter as the Duchess and Duke of Sussex! Harry is lucky to get a mention in the letter at all.

• Advertisement

Oopsies! “Many of Meghan's supporters have backed her calls for universal paid leaves for parents, but pointed out that her letter fails to mention Joe Biden, who is about to try to force it into law as part of his $3.5million Build Back Better Agenda.” “The Duchess of Sussex says she ate cheap salads and worked selling frozen yoghurt as a 13-year-old - but all the while she was being educated in exclusive LA schools, including one whose alumni included Elizabeth Taylor and July Garland, all paid for by her now estranged father Thomas. 

Meghan claims in her letter the Covid pandemic has exposed 'long-existing fault lines in our communities' and says 'millions of women' have been forced to drop out of the workforce to look after their children as a result of schools and childcare providers being closed. 

And in one of the most astonishing parts of her letter, she suggests her family were impoverished but does not mention her father was an Emmy award-winning lighting director and she was educated at private school.

She says: 'I grew up on the $4.99 salad bar at Sizzler – it may have cost less back then (to be honest, I can't remember) – but what I do remember was the feeling: I knew how hard my parents worked to afford this because even at five bucks, eating out was something special, and I felt lucky.

'And as a Girl Scout, when my troop would go to dinner for a big celebration, it was back to that same salad bar or The Old Spaghetti Factory – because that's what those families could afford. 

'I waited tables, babysat, and piecemealed jobs together to cover odds and ends,' Meghan writes. 'I worked all my life and saved when and where I could – but even that was a luxury – because usually it was about making ends meet and having enough to pay my rent and put gas in my car.' 

But critics have also pointed out that Meghan was raised in middle class comfort in the suburb of Woodland Hills in a home Thomas Markle, an Emmy-award winning lighting director, bought shortly before Meghan was born in 1981.” https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10115119/What-Meghans-4-99-Sizzler-salad-letter-didnt-say.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Lawlarama. Gawd.

Next, she’ll go on a Angelina slash Madonna adoption spree. How about 5 little Afro-American kids to fill that house with the sixteen bathrooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

That was some grade A waffle. “…And Harry.” Jesus is he the family Labrador or what ? That part was like birthday cards you got from your parents when you were younger when they’d include the family pets. I’d never seen pictures of where she lived growing up but they don’t seem that bad. Its the old rages to riches story that mostly Americans(but not limited to them) love which is grand for genuine feel good stories, buts hers isn’t and his most certainly isn’t. In fairness they aren’t alone in the do as I say, not as I do crowd.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I lold at 'is he the family labrador' 😂 He just about got a mention.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

haha that's gas!

Still though, she's got the bullsh!t waffle of a politician off to a tee. But she would never make it as one, while they all lie and obfuscate, hers don't even stand up to the smallest of fact checks. I think she really believes her own bullsh!t.

It must be a right slap in the face to the real poor of America who have to listen to her try to imply she has any experience of their daily struggles.

Nah, she will tell others to adopt. She won't do any unnecessary effort...

BTW with this letter she must has p***d off many high ranked democrats pushing for such a leave for years....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭seenitall

Good point, JoChervil.

As far as I understand, this bill is already well on its way to being passed, so she’s simply jumped on a band-wagon and pushed at an open door in the interests of self-promotion. That sort of johnny-come-lately behaviour on top of the efforts of others when the results are at the finish line rarely goes unnoticed (or is appreciated), though.

She certainly knows when to hitch her wagon to something moving in the right direction. I'd love to hear her thoughts on something difficult and complex, like the Taliban's treatment of women in Afghanistan. I'd love her to say something difficult, just once. But it's all the low hanging fruit with Meghan, from alleged racism, to media intrusion, mental issues, being a "mother" (by that I mean one of those social-media obsesses mothers), parental leave. It's all soft ball, easy stuff with no resistance whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I know her sort- they've no personality to when they become parents it becomes their whole identity and harp on relentlessly about how hard it is, almost suggesting they deserve a medal for the hardship of it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

She changes her "angle" to suit whatever her current need is for narcissistic supply. Look at the engagement interview. All eyes focused on Prince Harry’s new beau and she sold herself as this confident, intelligent, educated woman, who was worldly wise with her **** together and a successful actress to boot. Then compare and contrast with the Oprah interview where she comes across as some naive innocent ingénue who fell off the back of a truck and doesn't even know how to Google but by gum golly she’d been well intentioned only to get abused, chewed up and spat out by those evil racist Royals. Look at her blogging days you can see her extolling in cringe inducing word salads about her privileged upbringing, dining out regularly at fancy spots and vacationing regularly then compare it to the current “woe was me” fantasy and historical revision in a letter to Congress playing the victim of having been reduced to eating at Sizzlers. It's utterly transparent but there still seems to be plenty who can't glean that she is so utterly self-possessed, manipulative and so helplessly tone deaf.

--It's utterly transparent but there still seems to be plenty who can't glean that she is so utterly self-possessed, manipulative and so helplessly tone deaf---

I honestly think there are not many people left on this planet who are really interested in this couple because they are so likable, interesting and have a lot to say. the opposite.

They have, if I got it correctly, a big business deal with Netflix and whichever else big player. This corporates want to make money of them and they are the ones with the main interests, besides the tabloids, to keep them circling around in the media or with real life stunts like this school visit in NYC. They are indeed, comparable to the likes of this horrible Kardashian woman. Gutter 'celebrities' fmpov.

I do love these little stunts that they keep pulling. It's car crash viewing every time, and I love it! I hope she runs for office as a politician - that would be comedy gold.

Electorate: "How would you deal with the aggression of Putin, Ergodan or the Chinese Communist party?"

President Meghan: "COMPASSION"

car crash viewing, that's exactly how I was about to call it in my last post. Because that's what it is with them, you want to look away but for some reason you have to look..strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

The Japanese royals showing how to behave, with honesty, humility and self sufficiency.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

That letter she wrote.

As we say around these parts: "poor mouthing".

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 21,027 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Don’t most monarchs just get on with it ? Just because the youngest son of the next king of England has gone for a ramble and has will end regretting it isn’t a blight on the whole lot of them. I see that queen Elizabeth was in hospital and won’t be going to Glasgow.

• Advertisement

By giving up her title in order to marry her commoner love.

Advertisement