Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭JimboJones99

No thats fair enough, I see where you are coming from but I think the difference is that if someone goes in for a challenge with studs up they are making a conscious decision that if they mistime it they could be in trouble. They would generally be traveling with much great force with a sliding tackle also. The Mane/Ederson incident that Ronnie Whelan referred to commentary the other night is an example. Of course Mane was going for the ball but he knew if he didnt get it there was a good chance he would get Ederson; clear red card

In this case Griezmann had no idea that Firmino was around and I'm sure was more surprised than anyone when he connected with him. I get the difference between Endangerment and Intent and intent isn't necessary for it to be justified as a red. My references to banning overhead kicks was just tongue in cheek as a previous poster claimed it was about protecting players before they get injured but then surely there is a chance of injuring a player every time you raise your leg over a certain height as Griezmann found out.

Anyway by the letter of the law it was a sending off but I dont think we would be as ok with it if the shoe was on the other foot and Bobby had been sent off whislt trying to control the ball with one of his ninja techniques!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I agree as in its really unlucky for Griezmann but it he can't complain ,

Even if he had of kicked him with the front of his foot he might have got away with a yellow but with it being studs first the ref had no choice but to show a red ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Griezmann was unlucky because Firmino had been shoved in the back by another Atletico player, without that contact I doubt that Firmino's head would have made it into the same space as Griezmann's foot. Ultimately he paid the price for something that was beyond his control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,111 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I get the impression that both Liverpool & Firmino would be happy to ride out his contract. If he leaves on a free transfer, at nearly 32, he will have given 8 seasons to the club. That's good service to be fair. Maybe they give him a one year extension, on the same terms and everyone is happy. He is happy to be at the club he likes, and becomes a squad player. I haven't ever seen him kick up a fuss and no talk in the media of him leaving or even asking for parity with contract renewals.

I don't think that Firmino is a player that will be sold. Is he worth selling for ~10m - ~15m, when it is hard to find a replacement for the skillset he brings? I don't think so. And even if he was to be sold, the 2 clubs that I think would have bought him for any sort of decent money are well passed the period of time where the transfer would have suited both the player and buying club. I think that Pep would have loved Firmino at City when he first came in. They ended up buying Jesus that winter instead, but Firmino would have worked brilliantly with Sane & Sterling, Mahrez too in time. A great foil for Aguero. Bayern would have liked him too I think, around 2018, as Lewandoski & Muller were aging but Lewandoski has kicked on another level again, and Muller has stuck around at a high level still so that was a non-runner in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Would agree with this, but the question remains where do the funds come from in order to replace the front line when the time comes?

• Advertisement

Organic money perhaps. The club should be self sufficient, in theory. We can see a direct correlation with most transfers the last 5/6/7 season with incomings & outgoings balancing each other out. There are a couple of outliers such as the 18/19 summer and summer of 2021. 18/19, the club were coming off of the big CL final run and had CL again. partly funded by this, and partly funded by Coutinho sales, they spent big and gambled on getting a large return for their investment. They did - CL winners. Summer of 2021 was after winning the PL so had a bit of prize money to spend.

The club bought Mane, Salah, Firmino using their own funds either by CL participation or selling players. Sterling & Borini -> Benteke & Firmino. In turn Benteke -> Mane. Then CL qualification was secured and so was the signing of Salah. Brewster -> Jota.

Now that fans are back in the stadium, and there are no TV rebates to be paid, there should be an increase in revenue for the club. We might see a somewhat normality with more transfer money flowing around in the summer. Contracts have increased too tho, but you would think that there will be a flusher transfer fund to allow spending next summer, for some eventual forward replacements in tow. The increase in money flowing around means that more clubs will be comfortable in spending again, and maybe there are sales within the current squad such as Origi or Taki to partly fund the transfers. Teams like a Southampton will say 'yeah we can afford the £20m for Taki now' etc. Maybe the club will do what they did in the summer of 2018 and push the boat out for a few transfers and gamble that they will be top quality, like that summer was, and get the rewards again.

We shall be sold to new owners then ,

Iv been saying for ages now once the stadium is finished we shall be sold ,

You would like to think we could keep Salah and also build around him for the future with this "organic money", but I think the idea that clubs will throw big money at the likes of Origi and Minamino is folly. That day is gone. In an age of analytics and price to value ratios etc... Liverpool the last few years has been an expensive shop to buy from (and for too long we weren't), but I fear we are now just seen as a place where value for money is poor.

There was talk also that Edwards was feeling the squeeze with this remit, without selling fringe players for big money in order to supplement the highly geared first XI (most key player approaching 30) on big wages, how do you improve on this and ultimately replace all these stars without a big sale to pay for it?

Its very very possible that will be the time FSG get out. The cost of rebuilding our team in the next 2-3 years will be big (if we want to remain at same level), and without selling a Salah then its money the club don't usually spend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Who out there has a disposable 3/4 billion to buy Liverpool football club then pump in another billion over the following seasons on transfers that those fans who insist the club will be sold will then demand from the new owners

Buying a club for £300m and turning it into a revenue making machine worth £3/4 billion is an investment, Spending £3 to £5 billion buying a club is not an investment for guys who have that kind of money unless they are a state trying to sports wash.

• Advertisement

It will no doubt be another nation state, sovereign wealth fund or the like who buy Liverpool. I'd say all the top clubs in England (United included) will be owned this way in the next 10 years.

Qatar, all of the UAE, Bahrain, China, the Saudis in another guise will probably all own English clubs. DOn't forget the clubs costing 3 billion already have established revenue streams which makes the sportswashing more palatable for them possibly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,491 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

There comes a time when a clubs value is so much that it becomes virtually impossible to sell. Using ''metrics'' to come up with a magical 3.2 billion valuation is silly though. They always say what its worth on paper, and what it's actual value is in the real world is very different.

1.3b - 1.7b realistically

I'm convinced that the plan

For a club of our stature it was bought for cheap ,

Top class manger in, top class player most tied down to long deals, New training ground ,upgraded stadium , Commercial side of the club better than its ever been , Didn't spend on any squad players in the summer cause they don't add much value but come at a cost ,

Huge one is Edwards there main man in for transfer & what not being let go ,

To me it all points towards getting ducks in a row to sell the club ,

Mo Salah contract will be the cherry on top if it works out as adding more value to the club ,

I'm not sure that day is gone, yet. It will come, but not yet.

I know it was a different era, but for years, clubs used to buy players off of Man Utd just because they were English and came through their academy! Frazier Campbell's, Keiran Richardson etc seemed to leave the club every year for decent money relative to the time. There's always a lower half PL team ready to take a punt on a player.

Of course they should be better prepared in the era of data analytics as you mentioned but the same Man Utd are only starting to really establish their analytical department within the last few weeks. in 2021! They are meant to be a top club. What are the chances that the rest of the PL clubs are using analytics? Man City do, Liverpool do. Brentford do. But to be honest, I can't see a lot of clubs currently relying on analytics, more so on scouts, agents etc still. Newcastle is the obvious choice, but they will need established PL players to build their squad over the next 2-3 years before targeting top European names. Southampton, Palace, Brighton, Villa, Wolves won't say no to players like Neco, Philips, Ox, Origi, Taki if they end up selling their star players in the summer. Ojo, Williams & Davies might impress enough on loan to move permanently. Sometimes transfers do come out of the blue that surprise us all - like the Hoever to Wolves transfer that helped to balance off the Jota fee.

There are some good young players in the Liverpool u23 set up too. We don't always need to buy players to facilitate a rebuild. Elliot showed great promise in his early season, and there is still Curtis Jones too. Kaide Gordon, Kelleher, the Polish kid who's name I can't spell & Leighton Clarkson too might have something about him. I see Liverpool linked with Musa Barrow (CF) the other day. Maybe he comes in for £20m (his transfermarkt value) while Origi & Taki are sold for £20m. The front options for next season are Salah, Mane, Firmino, Jota, Barrow, Elliot. And for no perceived extra cost. It gives a year extra and maybe the club moves towards a Jota-Barrow-Salah front 3 in time and beds them in.

The start on Sunday is vital

A lot of the time under Klopp we have gone there and looked really nervy to start , Its almost always taken them to score or get a few chance for us to get going ,

Its like the player know its the one game fans don't want them to lose and it really effects how they set about the game,

Its such a shame there no Thiago he the one guy in our side who would get on the ball and get us playing regardless of the opposition, Feels like such a waste of talent since he's came here,

Does anyone on here ever contribute to RAWK website? Dear god its a pure cesspit. People post as if the players are actively reading it, and a barrage of dressing down is administered to anyone who so much as questions anything. Its gas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,497 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I did for years, but after a while avoided the actual Liverpool forum and just posted in music/films etc, haven't for ages though. It's a real shame, there used to be some great posters there but I agree it's gone to crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Do you ever be positive about anything liverpool related?

Of course i do , what wrong with anything i said we normally start very nervy away to United, Even last season we only woke up after they scored ,

I also said Thiago is class but been injuries have been a disappointment

What wrong with any of that ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Added these together, even if you take the conservative value from Toby here, that is still a lot of money for anyone to spend to buy a club. But I don't think we will be sold as one, it will be with someone buying stakes into the club and in the end I think it will be closer to the £3b though. RedBird (including Lebron James) invested $735m into FSG for 10%. That means FSG is worth around $7.35b, that is how you work out how much we are worth. FSG own a few teams, but the two main ones are us and the Red Sox. The Red Sox are thought to be worth around $3.5b, so you expect us to be around the same, if not more.

What in the history of FSG makes you think this? They just sold a 10% stake in FSG to immediately sell the most valuable asset they have? We have to forget about some billionaire coming in to buy is, we had our chance, twice, and we are where we are now. We are worth too much for anyone with sense to come in to buy us and to be honest, I wouldn't want an owner who can spaff £3b on a football club, that person will have more money than sense and would not want them at the club within 100 miles.

There is no reason why we will not be competing with United financially in 5 years time if we continue to compete. We were on track to overtake them on revenue before Covid struck. The reason why United are able to spend a lot is that they have a base of 10 years of making a lot of money for the club. So cash in hand was a lot more than we had, but we will get there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I don't think anyone will dispute that Griezmann was unlucky. But players are responsible for where they put their head/feet/arms/elbows on the field and if they accidentally cause a dangerous situation then that is all that needs to be looked at, was it dangerous. I agree with the intent of the rule and if it was one of our players, I would be frustrated but would accept the decision as correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Did you see the Rondon v Soucek incident last week? Not even a yellow issued for - what appeared to me - a deliberate attempt to injure using a boot. Soucek required plastic surgery on his face as a result. Firmino was uninjured.

Ye i see it its a totally different incident to be fair,

I think the ref got that correct,

In my opinion Rondon don nothing wrong , Soucek falls over but then kind turns himself on the ground so his face is right behind Rondon foot & he just tried to run off , Rondon did not do anything dangerous he's not challenging or tackling or anything

Its like if a player jumped and headed the ball & someone fell under him and he landed on top of them ,

FSG want the club to be turning a health profit every year, while those we compete with are happy to pay interest on massive loans to buy the best players. Most of Liverpool debt is in house, owed to FSG, I'm sure FSG wants to get the club to be debt free ideally . The likes of United own half a billion, Spurs nearly a billion. I don't think we'll be going down that road of being happy just to service interest on loans ongoing.

With 100 million plus fans worldwide, the potential for more revenue streams is there. We don't tap it, no club does. We need some tech savvy person to fill a role at Liverpool. The Likes of Apple have their ''sheep''

Liverpool have no sheep, a few billy goats but that's about all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

In more recent years I think we started better and then let them back into games where we should have throttled them. It's mostly about heart and desire on the day, but having a tactical awareness about us will help when the fight-back comes. 1:3 Liverpool win.

What football club in the world as been sold or bought for 1 billion let alone 2/3 billion?

Chelsea was bought for £140m

City was bought for £210m

PSG was bought for £100m

Newcastle was bought for £300m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Buying Liverpool instead of Newcastle means you have a 5 year head start on positive news / branding / merchandising / commercial pertnerships / recruitment / infrastructure / fan base / cups in big cupboards / winning mentality / anything else you are having. Those 5 years and the immediate impact of Mo Salah's beaming face whitewashing all before him, could be worth a few bob.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

United being the biggest ever at £800m which was about $1.4bn in US dollars at the time. Big (I'm talking billions) takeovers happen in US sports but that's due to the closed shop they are in and the owners being able to take a large percentage of the revenue for themselves every year.

Liverpool generate over half a billion a year but every cent of that needs to go back into the club to just to try and compete. Why would you buy an asset for billions that you can't even take money out of without running the value of the asset down. Take money out, you become less competitive, CL money and sponsors disappear.

Until European soccer can guarantee a minimum amount (we're likely talking hundreds of millions) of revenue can be taken out of a club year on year and not see a reduction in revenue I don't see any multi billion deals going through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Yeah, clubs is definitely too expensive now. Fsg selling off shares all over the places is the main concern.

When are we going to be making utd level of money? We've had 10 years of getting new sponsors in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

The big difference between PL (or any other Euro) clubs and US sports (American Football, Baseball, Basketball and Ice Hockey) clubs is that an annual profit for the owners to extract is baked into the US model whereas it's very much not baked into the European model and this is achieved in the US model primarily by three things:-

1. No relegation, there's a fixed number of clubs or "franchises" so regardless of how rubbish you perform on the field/court you are always guaranteed your place.
    2. Salary caps keep a lid on expenses.
    3. TV revenue is AFAIK shared equally amongst all teams in the league.

Predictability of revenues and profitability plus mitigation of risk (relegation) massively increases value hence US sports teams can change hands on purely commercial terms for huge valuations but Euro / PL clubs don't unless its a hobby / vanity project by one of the worlds wealthiest people or a sports washing project by a country.

Most people talking of Sunday like it will be a walk in the park, like it's their first experience of such a game. None of the issues in the United team will be there on Sunday, their game will be lifted, every player will be lifted, and all of them will be operating at 100% effort for the full 90 minutes, this is simply not the case usually.

Leader lead, they set examples for others to follow, but the examples they too often set, in United case, are ones you wish weren't followed. But when Pogba is having one of those days where he's not too pushed it has a domino effect, and others follow suit. But I have no doubt that on Sunday Pogba will show up, and that example will be followed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭chicorytip

What greater indictment of a manager is that when certain players will turn it on only in big games? Can you imagine Klopp tolerating that? It would never occur simply because of his stature as a coach and man manager. Players admire,respect and trust him and,importantly, know never to challenge his authority or behave in any way unprofessionally. This is the antithesis of the relationship Solksjaer seems to have with many of his players whom, I think, seem to regard him as a joke of a manager.

Yea, that's very much the case. The likes of Pogba, Fernandes, Ronaldo will always do it their way, but when the chips are down, and it's beneficial to them to put in a good display, they'll do it, but yea it's never for Ole that they do that, if it was, like you said, they'd do it week in week our, regardless of who they're playing.

But come Sunday, all the big names will be at it, and everyone will follow suit, as it's a chance for some individual honors. They'll all strive to be the hero against Liverpool. Ole for once won't need to do a thing to get a performance out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

Going over for the United game tomorrow, sitting in with the home fans so will need to keep it zipped. Did it two years when Lallana scored with 5 minutes to, just about kept it in.

Come on you Mighty Reds!

Fair play. Not something I could do tbh. Being able to sing and celebrate are the best bits!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I don't think many fans thinks this Sunday is going to be walk in the park. UTD have been terrible for pretty much all of Klopps reign and we still have only 1 win in OT against them with him in charge. Sunday is going to be another massive test, UTD have some very good players and regardless of how inept Ole is those players can turn it on when required. Also we are not helped by the fact that we haven't looked at all convincing at the back against any team that looked remotely threatening going forward. This game is going to be tough and we may need to score 3 away from home again to seal the points, 1 definitely wont do it anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

A draw at OT is always a good result but obviously a win would be huge. Won’t be easy and no matter what’s being said, they have massive attacking talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I'd be more worried about having to cheer when United score. That would make me feel... unclean.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Fully expecting to dominate United and come away with a 1-1 or 2-2 draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,497 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Hopefully they have nothing to cheer about 😉

I agree though. I've sat in the home end for loads of our games but there's a few places I just couldn't do it, that being pretty much top of the list

Good luck though, hope you have a great time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

@Tusky - we'll be 2-0 up a half time and they'll pull one back five minutes after half time...

@Electric Nitwit - I'm not the one who's going! No way I could do it...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Bruno a doubt for the weekend. I'd imagine he plays though as long as his two legs are working as Ole has no issue playing injured players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭ratracer

That’s only Ole’s BS! He’s always at that, trying to be a king of psyching out the opposition. Thankfully he’s as sh1te at that as he is a football manager!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Absolutely, my first thought as soon as I read that.

What an awful attempt at mind games. Can see straight through it. He literally started Maguire last weekend when he was clearly unfit.

There's also the previous example when Ole said before a Liverpool - Man Utd game that both De Gea wouldn't start because of injury. He did.

Ole ''Captain Obvious ''

'' Bruno is injured everybody, he's injured''

Come Sunday

Ole '' Bruno is fit''

.............in Ole head........... ''WINNING'' as I said he was injured but he's not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Much like how there would've been outright mutiny at Utd if the board had let Ronaldo go to City, I think this Salah thing is the same for FSG.

If he is let go, as the best player in the league, after saying he never wants to play for another club, and if he leaves because he isn't treated the same as other superstars in the game, the fans won't have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Salah coming out saying he wants to stay at Liverpool for the rest of his career but it's in the clubs hands i.e. the club and him aren't close to agreeing terms yet. I'm hoping the club know what they are doing and maybe just trying to save a few quid and holding off doubling his salary until the summer. Signing now versus in the summer saves millions.

But if the club **** this up, losing Salah will probably top all of the other major players we've lost for me. When we've lost other players we where usually somewhere between rubbish and on the cusp of being something so could understand them wanting out. But right now we're one of the best in Europe, with one of the best managers and possibly the best player and we could lose him over an extra few million (the equivalent of a squad player in reality) a year and not him wanting out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement