Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap Irish houses

Options

Comments

Perhaps you are immune to the subconscious impact a suit has on a person but I guarantee you if you take a walk down to the Four Courts today you'll see solicitors and barristers getting away with saying any sort of nonsense to clients because they, as professionals, look the part. If we forced the professionals to say the exact same things but while wearing tracksuits etc the act wouldn't be nearly as impressive. Well-cut suits create an impression of competence, they shouldn't, but they do.

Anyhow, I like the show for what it is, fully agree that the vendors could make more of an effort in making the places look presentable (again, it shouldn't matter, some cosmetic jobs like cleaning the sticks out of that fireplace, aren't big jobs, but they create an impression in the purchaser).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,408 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

oh i actually like the show

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I found it odd in the last episode that the woman buying the house had a budget of €150-200k, wanted anywhere that was a 2-2.5 hour train ride from Dublin and yet all 3 properties they chose to show her were in Enniscorthy. They could have gone almost anywhere in the country! I suppose it was too wide a net and they had to narrow it down. I do enjoy the program, it's lovely to see some of the older houses out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I suppose they were going for 'East Coast' properties?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Maybe so but they weren't veru spread out 😄 Enniscorthy may have been the obvious choice to meet all of her requirements on the east coast though, you could be right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭GAAcailin

Found it odd too, especially when she was from the Northern part of the country. Would have maybe made sense to visit Drogheda/Dundalk area The show is very focussed on what is inside the 4 walls of a house and very little about the locality imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Skyrimaddict

I think the show is rubbish, has anyone actually bought a house from it.

Few I'd say but that's not the point. It is to widen people's horizons.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I think the show is good but we are agreed on something in that we are both interested in a follow up to see how any purchasers got on.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

This season is abit more sensible. Budgets are abit more realistic.

The first series was borderline criminal in how they were presenting €50k houses and stating 20k on repairs would have them looking great.

Those €50k houses are basically sites. You either knock them and rebuild or else spend at least 150k making them half decent. Once you are into replacing roof, windows, ground floor and then fitting out with insulation system with new wiring and plumbing, the costs really are frightening.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I was laughing at the cottage the woman had done up last week.

Maggie delighted with restoring a lovely little country cottage- by slapping a €170k extension onto it! 😂

The lack of follow up bugs me too, but with the shows being filmed so recently I guess that is to be expected. Clearly nobody on the show ran out and immediately snapped up one of the homes Maggie showed them though!

@Posy I was about to say the same thing - a lovely restoration on the cottage for 40k...and then we spent 4 times that on an externsion to make it the size we wanted 😂 I mean it looked fab and fair play to them for doing it themselves but your average joe soap doesn't have a load of tradesmen at hand to do all the building work or other bits and pieces so it would have cost a lot more than that for anyone else. Not cheap at all but a nice restoration and reuse of an old house.

I came across this accidentally while flitting around on Daft, it's the townhouse in Enniscorthy that they showed to that woman and her dad a couple of weeks ago. It's a fab house for the price. She obviously hasn't bought it though!

Post edited by miamee on

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭GAAcailin

That house in Mallow last week needed at least 250k to make it livable, was such a wreck.

Kind of a copy of Dermot Bannon the way she goes off to view and interview people who have done a great restoration job - its not really relevant to the concept of 'cheap' houses.

Also, what bugs me is that she never has a clear set of requirements from the house-seekers; like if they e.g. want a doer-uper, near to a town, a large outside space, near good transport links, near the sea. These 'features' come up when she is showing the houses but she never collects requirements first. The three houses last week were all very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

My big criticism of the show is the guy thats advising on construction / repairs, he plays down some potentially massive problems and pulls figures out of his hole regards issues and remedying them.

Hes probably under costing to make yhe theme of the show work, because a 100k property that needs 100k to live in doesnt suit the title of the show.

He told one couple that underpinning would cost 10-15k, i hope that people do more homework if they decide to buy because hes never realistic.

Thanks for the link.

Looks like good value for someone who wants a townhouse.

Just looking at the pics I can see a few euros need to be spent but you could move in and do it as you go.

For instance, Pic 18 shows the workshop roof is bowed and held up with a timber brace.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Skyrimaddict

I'm not sure it expands horizons? It shows some houses that need 2/3 times the sale price to do up.

Yep I would love some follow ups

Maybe they could do a lot themselves. Many of those old houses were simply built and not hard to tackle.

Ah now, she's showing them a school tonight?! Jeepers. 😂😂

Yeah, you can buy it under budget, but you will need 100K or more to renovate it 🙄🙄

• Advertisement

The cottage by the water is sale agreed. I wonder did somebody actually finally buy something?! 🤨😮

Some people like the idea. Looks like you could move into it with little modification and do it up yourself bit by bit. Has toilets water and ESB.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

This is a terrible program.

She picks houses that are around the average for that area. How does that make it cheap? Someone needs to tell her that low price doesn't mean cheap.

And do these people not know Daft price search and radius search exists?

Everyone is always like "wow!" when they go into each room.

The only thing cheap is the show itself!

It is real location, location. View to die for etc.

Just on the school, I have seen some lovely conversions of old schoolhouses.

Some were worked on after moving in, some finished before moving in.

One had the original old glass and timber partitions from the 1920's and was a joy to behold.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,074 ✭✭✭Deeec

Totally agree. Some of the houses need a huge amount of work, time and money spent on them but he makes it sound like it just needs a lick of paint.

He downplays it bigtime - some of his ideas are brutal. Some of the houses they show are actually far from cheap when you take in the amount of money they need to spend to get it habitable and comfortable.

They also seem to pick people or couples who appear a bit naive.

The girl a couple of weeks ago was mad, saying she wanted someone 2-3 hours away from Dublin so she could commute once a week. FFS that would be madness, 6 hours of the day going on travel alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Its not that bad when its only once a week, sit on the train or bus and do a bit of work. A huge amount of people do it and even further, the airports are full of people flying over and back to the UK for a day or two a week

Sounds horrible to me. Wake up at 5:30am, get on the train at 6am. By the time you get to the office it could be 9:30. Leave the office at 5pm, get the train at 5:30pm, arrive home around 9pm. Shower, get a bite to eat, prepare for next day.

I just can't see someone doing that long term.

• Advertisement

They have to be naive to go on the show considering yer wan can only show houses that were online anyways...these people ever hear of daft.ie?

There was one the other week where they were shown a house that was 10 minutes from where they were living!

Advertisement