Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post returning packages from outside the EU-See 1st post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I got a reply from the Advocate

Dear ...,    

In relation to your case ... , this cannot be reviewed by the Customer Advocate until it is under investigation with Customer Services for 30 days after the claim was made (24th September in your case). I contacted Customer Services today and they informed me that they are issuing a final response to you today. If you are not satisfied with the response that they provide, you can then submit a contact form to be reviewed by the customer advocate office.    

regards,    

Customer Advocate

• Registered Users Posts: 20,926 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

• Registered Users Posts: 27 dimaie

I can't think of any logic that they could apply to evaluate things more or less accurately. How would they evaluate a transistor produced in exUSSR in the middle of 80s if its production has ceased in 1990. It's worth as much as I would be willing to pay for it.

Instead of doing that they should have a process of uploading customer receipts and linking them to the tracking ids, so when the parcel arrives they would able to evaluate it and, more importantly, verify if VAT was paid on the goods.

Regarding the moral side of the matter, yes, it is a legalized racket. I would pay quite a lot to ensure that my stuff is not sent back in a probably false hope to recover my money later. The problem here is that people who are involved in the evaluation process are biased as they do know that there is dependency between their salary and the amount they would be able to extort from their customers - I think this process is tainted.

Post edited by dimaie on

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Sparkling Gamorreans

Mistakes do happen in business though it's obviously particularly upsetting and irritating when you're on the wrong end of it. What you do expect when an error is made is:

• An apology
    • Suitable compensation
    • Root cause analysis
    • Remedial action to mitigate the risk of a repeat incidence

Very little of the above seems to be taking place in respect of reported errors by An Post in this thread such as seeking CN23s when not required, charging VAT to parcels due for return and completely erroneous returns such as your case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

To follow up on my own post a few pages back here https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/118025653/#Comment_118025653

My package arrived on Tuesday, 25 days after I paid customs to release it. There is no scenario where that is acceptable. Imagine what the carnage will be in the run up to Christmas?

As an aside, it had "return to sender" on it but thankfully it got to me instead. I also received 3 packages from china in the past week with no hassle at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Would it be safe to assume An Post have realised they've been fecking up and now doing damage control - why would the parcel have Return to Sender on it and then still be delivered?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭deezell

Because of the row being kicked up here and on twitter, with real examples of AnPost f**kupery. It sounds like a desperate attempt at damage limitation, with put upon staff being asked to rummage in the auto-filled return skips and inspect labels to see if they were probably close enough or valueless enough to toss across the conveyer belt to the deliver skip. Probably staff standing over the conveyer fishing out packets that look like fails and bypassing the scanner, like those lads in the recycling centre fishing nappies out of the recycled plastic flow.

I think majority here would agree. Remedial action to mitigate the risk of a repeat incidence is definitely top of my list.

you know in They Live when he puts on the glasses I feel like that.

A common claim in the An Post thread is that customs problems are happening only in Ireland. There are three examples in this report of problems in Germany and Austria. There are bound to be thousands of others all around the EU, which would have no reason to be reported in Ireland.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0010wfd

Anyone reading this who intends to use Royal Mail / Parcelforce Worldwide to send parcels from the North to the EU, here's a tip. Go to a NI Post Office who will (should) know that no customs forms are needed. If you book it online the system may decide that you do need customs forms, and that will mean it will join the stream of parcels which have to be presented to Customs in the receiving country. The Berlin case was either the system seeing a UK postcode and by default generating customs forms. Or it could have been human error in GB where many people do not know that NI has remained in the EU Single Market. Of course all your good work could be undone by the bureaucracy of DHL or other courier which the postal service in the receiving country has partnered with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Owen101

Didn't have much luck challenging the estimate. Ordered an item sent via uk on 15/9 with value of €107.95 incl shipping.

Customs valued it at €216.13 though and said I owed €53.20. So sent email to ecommchargequery with my receipt on 26/09 to question why the value used for customs calculation was over double the senders value.

Received reply (after 2 phone calls to an post) on 14/10 to say I need to 'enquire with the sender regarding electronic data submitted'. So I replied again attaching the same original receipt I sent the first time.

No reply. The 'pay by date' then expired and the item has been returned to sender. If lucky it might show up at the retailer sometime. But waste of time tbh

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Owen101

No. Probably should have used AddressPal in hindsight, might have got some better help..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

Received a notice for a VAT charge for something to be delivered. A quick look at a Global Tracking site tells me this has already been returned to the States, while An Post wait for me to pay up.

How long can they expect to keep this sh1t up? 3rd time they have returned something that I could have paid for.

As long as they keep getting fake awards for carbon reduction intentions, (which might never happen), they can win the PR battle. PR as in PRopaganda, keep telling everyone you're wonderful, rather than doing stuff to earn the accolade. Straight from the Joseph Goebbels school of PR.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Sparkling Gamorreans

Tell that to the merchants who have specifically stopped selling to Ireland alone or stopped doing non courier shipping here. There's ample examples on twitter and this thread. This is not to say there's zero issues elsewhere but it seems to have been called out by plenty of non-EU merchants that Ireland is highly problematic and the same parcels they issue are making it to other EU states without issue. Do you believe other EU states are behaving broadly similar to Ireland and returning a similar proportion of non-EU originated parcels? How do you explain the merchants who stop sending to Ireland?

The current problem has not generated any publicity in GB, and I doubt it has in China either. Unlike when thousands of GB traders had major problems at the start of the year, and many of them ceased doing business in the EU.

DPD found failures to fully complete customs declarations in 20% of parcels from GB to EU, meaning they could not even leave GB.

https://fortune.com/2021/01/08/brexit-chaos-logistics-giant-dpd-pauses-uk-eu-parcel-shipments/

• Hey - apologises if I’ve the wrong thread, but if anyone can help I’d appreciate it.

so I’ve had a good few parcels coming in from England returned, much like everyone else. This has been going on for about 2 months. When I speak with An Post they cite “lack of electronic customs info” or something of that nature. Now, the thing is from what I can see that does not apply to retail customers. As in if I’m just sending John in Ireland a PS4 I sold privately I don’t need to (and from what folks in the UK have told me) there’s also no way to do this electronic customs form from a Post Office.

so I guess the question is are An Post wrong or are the UK post offices wrong? I’ve gone as far as to contact Royal Mail directly - who asserted numerous times that there’s no system for retail customers to do this. that is something that large retailers or e-commerce like Amazon or whatnot. Basically if you’re a registered business customer you absolutely have to but just your average Joe Soap sending their cousin abroad in Ireland a package or a private eBay seller requires little more than the CN22/3 sticker and any advice from An Post to the contrary is just a load of shite, basically.

just rather check with folks who might know a bit more rather than just RM (since it was mentioned as many times that they’re getting calls left and right from people in Ireland and or sending to Ireland about this, so I wonder if they’re just refusing to accept they are wrong or if in fact it is an post.

I think AnPost are alone in insisting on 10 digit Taric code. The joke is they publish a conversion tool on their web to convert 6 to 10, by adding 4 unexplained digits. So why not program their scanner to do it? Its like returning a letter because someone didn't put 'Mr' or 'Ms' in front of your name. Here's what their tool said my Taric should have been. You'll notice it gives a choice of two, but which one goes on the label? Export from Oz, or Import to Irl? Answers on a postcard (which will be returned).

Thank you for your email to the Competition and Consumer Protection Commission (the CCPC) in relation to your issue with An Post. We apologise for the delay in responding to your query.

In general, where there is a regulator in a sector we would always suggest that you contact them in relation to an issue that may fall within their remit. In this case, as you are aware, the Commission for Communications Regulation (Comreg) may be the most appropriate body to handle your query. Comreg regulates the telecommunications, radio communications and broadcasting sectors as well as postal services in Ireland. We would therefore suggest that you continue to communicate with Comreg regarding the matter.

Contact details for ComReg can be found through the following link: 

https://www.comreg.ie/ 

In addition, as your query relates to Customs duties, your issue falls outside the legislative remit of the CCPC. Customs & Excise fall under Revenue rules, therefore we would suggest that you contact Revenue directly.  

Contact details can be found through the following link:   

https://www.revenue.ie/en/contact-us/index.aspx   

We hope you have found this information useful and we are sorry we could not be of further assistance on this occasion. If you have any further consumer related queries please do not hesitate to contact us on ...

Yours Sincerely, 

• Advertisement

Letter reply filling out the https://forms.anpost.ie/enquiry

I was trying to use that tool in a hope to help with the customs declaration to one retailer whom I was buying radio components from. The problem with the tool is that a concept of non-specific search is not known to it. I was hoping to get a few options as a result for my search for 'electronic components' but the only result I've had, was a 'Door Bell'. Was trying few more specific searches - no results returned. I've given up. Tweeted about it more than a month ago, but as that behaviour is still there, An Post seem to be happy with the way it works..

Stunning. Of the the two codes suggested for my 6 digit, the latter one is invalid in the EU, according to that link. The other exists, but its description is not even close to non corrective filter lens. There is in fact an entry which correctly describes my goods, 90015020,

"Spectacle lenses of other materials :  9001 50 20 

Not for the correction of vision 

But this is only 8 digits! AnPost want 10! Arrrrggg!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭rf4c

Hi, When you say add 2 zeroes, I'm presuming you mean to tell the sender to add the zeroes as An Post refuses to let you change anything (unlike pre Brexit when you could)! Has An Post changed the arrangement ?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

My package from Japan which An Post rejected at the end of last month has finally arrived back with the seller.

The reason cited on the outside was "" Rejected / Failed electronic customs clearance "

Nothing more.

As we don't know what the problem was, we can't fix the problem.

He asked the Japanese post office who said "An Post made a mistake".

Seller has re-sent the package via DHL.

You know what? I doubt if the vast bulk of the staff at anPost or customs could answer that question. Even with the packet and data in front of them. An automated system rejects your packet, they know or care not why it did. They have no intention of trawling through the fields of data. Computer said no. Good enough for them. It's called belief bias, believing the output of a machine even why your eyes contradict it. Planes have crashed because of this. You wouldn't want those fu***rs writing a system for air traffic control

'Computer says no' is an appealing but probably incorrect way of describing An Post process. In contrast to a generic 'computer', An Post process is either not deterministic, or faulty to a degree when it can be safely assumed as non-deterministic.

It looks like the last (tenth) digit is always Zero, but the ninth can vary.

https://www.taricsupport.com/nomenclature/en/9001504990.html

Everything that is happening seems very very strange. I mean, we were ready for brexit and ironed out all the kinks within 2 months and it actually went smoother then we all thought it was going to be. Its not as busy as it was last year, significantly less in fact so its nothing to do with that. I have been speaking with suppliers and all the suppliers from outside of the EU are saying that all their packages are reaching other EU countries with no issues. All packages are reaching the UK. Yet their conversations with Irish customs have them having to do a lot more work, then they would generally have to do. Things which have been shipped for the past 10 years are now being rejected. Parcels with correct paperwork are being rejected. If people are quick to interject and catch their parcel before its sent back, An Post will say that they made a mistake.

It gets more bizarre then that as it almost seems like a conspiracy theory. The reason for the parcels being rejected is to push for people to shop within Europe instead of the UK and China. So to help with this completely "man made" problem, the Government along An post will be delivering a guide to every household on how to shop online without having any problems with a list of EU vendors. This guide will hit within the coming weeks as well as a lot of scary advertisements on how to avoid parcels being returned. An issue that we have never had in our entire history.....

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement

Well there you have it. From a Whistleblower no less. The truth revealed. I was wondering why the official AnPost response constantly referred to 'our partners' so often, followed by the comprehensive list of, em, four. Amazon, boots, river island and M&S. Every other UK and non EU source can go to hell. It's DELIBERATE POLICY, not a glitchy customs process. This is totalitarian behaviour, worthy of Putin or Kim Yong. Our rights to trade with the world, taxes and duties notwithstanding, are being trampled on by unelected autocrats with their own agenda. Is it anti UK? Anti China? Where is the recorded documentary trail that has invoked this Deliberate behaviour, and who signed off on it? I can just SEE the little ba**ards in their civil service bunkers, putting us all in our place, for our own good. It's part of the DNA of the state machinery, started by DeValera, in cahoots with the wizened ayatollah McQuaid, and all the other subsequent moral and behavioural 'influencers' of the time. This attitude has continued right to the present day, and it's not coming from the EU.

A good example of this were the draconian measures agreed against used car imports, with double VAT, punitive emissions penalties, and duty imposed on used UK cars of EU manufacture! The private used car importation market collapsed overnight, leaving us paying through the nose for clapped out indigenous used junk on dealer forecourts. It affects us and Malta alone, and there was no reason to destroy an absolutely necessary trade path, but they did. Why? To teach us a lesson of course, losing the run of ourselves, with self imported decent, affordable, well maintained used vehicles. Back to the status quo of the 60s with you, little man, and leave the car importarion to the well connected cohorts of big smug dealers, in total control again.

This policy of Customs/anPost is no less a similar attempt to crush private importation, and return it to the high markup elite.

Advertisement