Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Reserved 1100 beds.2,000 ICU beds, and an additional 2500 high dependency beds.

We aren't even at the races on that front.It's embarassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭JoChervil

• Registered Users Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭brickster69

A pleasant surprise that Johnny good to know. Hopefully it does not get much more worse for them.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

So it's not 70% at all? It's more like half. Interesting

But the boards experts tell us the vaccine is useless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Yeah we'd be lost without the vaccine. And obviously the people stepping up to get it. Hopefully some more hiding under the bed from vaccines come out.

And can they improve the vaccine over time? Maybe a stupid question!

We would be in a so much better position if we were just like Romania at the moment

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

That is absolutely not what I was referring to...as my post specifically said because I knew somebody would go down that road, it was bed numbers (relative to population numbers) that I meant.

I doubt the true picture of Romania's cases are being reported at all, but proportionally they are still in better shape with ICU bed numbers than we are on a good day.

Not really a relevant point to the discussion. They need more ICU beds to deal with Covid, in large part to make up for low vaccine rates. We need twice as many ICU beds, as was reported 12 years ago, to get our general health service up to standard (if there was no pandemic). 18 months into a pandemic and there's still no plan to do that. One of the highest vaccine rates in the world and a third of our ICU beds are occupied by Covid patients.

If we are going to be proud of our vaccine rate we should also be angry and ashamed of our ICU capacity.

And what would be the reason the gave stopped all non emergency treatment?

ICU capacity is largely self reported and in some places it’s fully staffed units available for use and in others it’s often empty beds with access to ventilators but few trained and available staff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Will_I_Amnt

Compairing a virus that has killed nearly 5 and a half thousand people in Ireland so far to the problem of a mouse in the house. Really??

Their ICU capacity is still in better shape than ours.

We are sinking money into our health service and we aren't even close to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭cheezums

maybe the most depressing Covid week yet? I really was confident high levels of vaccination would drive down transmission. The waning immunity aspect being widely reported is a double whammy. what is the endgame now exactly? Are we destined to have ICU beds full and various levels of restrictions forever more, even with annual boosters or whatever?

Would you prefer to require ICU in Sweden, with lower capacity than us, or Romania. Countries are not measuring the same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,250 ✭✭✭nc6000

This is the third time since Covid started where we're very close to filling our ICU capacity and the best we get is 19 additional ICU beds in the budget.

I can remember our population being in the region of 3.5 to 4 million, we passed the 5 million mark recently.

How much has our overall hospital capacity increased by since our population increased by over one million people?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm doing. Well done you.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,065 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Agree with this . Healthy individuals should really not need boosters . And especially those who have had vaccination and infection .

My issue is that not all healthcare workers, who are at higher risk of infection,are healthy .We are a diverse group and some have underlying conditions ( like myself ;) )while beingdaced with Covid patients everyday. That's why some of us were vaccinated at the beginning. Thing is , apart from every other immunologist , NIAC alone appears to be not in favour of hcw vaccination , at the moment ..still looking at the data .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Got to be natural immunity which builds up over time and lessens the impact of the disease over all. A bit of bro science but I feel like it’s culling off the vulnerable now but as we progress through it time wise, the impact will be less and less. Probably all going to get it at some point. The hope is that it will be reduced to some disease that just rumbles on in the background.

No . Or at least not yet .

What it actually means is that one or two un vaccinated people may have died , and one or two vaccinated were admitted to ICU .

Not literally , of course , I wouldn't say that , but the numbers do go up and down from day to day .

You see more vaccinated with less severe illness in the hospitalisations but still a large predominance of unvaccinated/ partially vaccinated in ICU .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

What are the latest numbers on average age of death for Covid patients Ireland? (The media is awash with headlines about case numbers, ICU capacity limits, hospitalised children and yet I don't ever see anything about older cohorts any more.)

Related question, why don't many (any?) health insurers ask questions about Covid status - contraction, vaccination, etc.? (Their revenue is linked directly to the accuracy of their risk assessment calculations and it's strange that a prospective customer's circumstance regarding a pandemic is not a neccessary input.)

Sweden doubled its ICU capcity for Covid, but due to their criteria on admission to ICU , which does not encourage treatment of elderly with underlying conditions, were never full capacity!

Chilling 👀

Yes ,definitely not the same , raind !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

Pretty much everyone in Iran has contracted Covid-19, many more than once. They're currently facing another terrible wave of cases and deaths. Natural immunity doesn't seem too great either.

Beverly Hills, California

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It is relevant as it explains why they are finding so many people filling their ICU now, so a problem of their own making. A population with a higher level of vaccination would not produce so many. Angry and ashamed doesn't fix things, being in the middle of a pandemic helps even less. It's not easy to add ICU beds and money is the least of the challenges.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Which is why it should have addressed 10 years ago . The failing of the HSE to have appropriate ICU capacity for the population is now very evident . The sheer neglect of the HSE to see a problem coming and fail to act on it is unforgivable

We all know that our restrictions are prolonged because of the poor health service and lack of ICU and HDU beds

Yet we are being told to re set and up our game when everyone know where the problem lies .No wonder people are angry and upset

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Seems like a sweeping statement. I don’t know the criteria for ICU admission in Sweden - is it really ‘chilling’? They seem to have a lot of elderly included in their stats, not many over 90s admittedly. Pity there’s no way to compare them to our own top secret ICU data.

The big problems with Irish healthcare are at point of access to the system not critical care. Outcomes for patients admitted to hospital and critical care in Ireland have been among the best in the world with covid. Ireland is the type of country you want to have a heart attack in, but not the type of country to have a chronic condition that has a risk of deteriorating

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Yes, that too . Once in the system you might have a chance but trying to get there is a major issue .But our ICU capacity is creaking at the seams , I know this first hand and its been going on for years . Even in Paeds hospitals is a juggling game with ICU beds and often surgeries cancelled at the last minute .Its not fit for purpose and getting very critical now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

They've had less than 6 million cases and their population is 85 million

Also I'm not sure what new "wave" they're facing into judging by the below

Post edited by Deeper Blue on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

@Deeper Blue wrote:

Also I'm not sure what new "wave" they're facing into judging by the below

Well...if you wanted to forward plan, it looks like Iran have hit a trough. So in the absence of any major changes in terms of restrictions, the only way from here is up. You're right looking at the data that there's no way to say a new wave has started, but also looking at the graphs, a new wave is imminent. It could be two weeks or two months before it starts though. Their vaccination programme has really kicked up a notch too, so maybe they'll never see a huge wave again.

I'm playing devil's advocate, but his point is kind of right. Iran is being hit by wave after wave of this, indicating there is very little herd immunity being built up - as you point out, just 6m (known) cases in a population of 85m. Natural herd immunity was never a real strategy, and it's not really a thing. In nature diseases don't tend towards herd immunity; it's counter-productive to the disease, and any disease which spread so easily and rapidly so as to cause herd immunity, would cause itself to go extinct. In nature diseases that get a good burn on, fall back a bit after a while, but never induce immunity. The black death managed to wipe out half of London, but still never brought on herd immunity.

Herd immunity has almost exclusively always been used in reference to vaccination. No country or subset of population is ever going to be "covered" by natural immunity. If they're not vaccinated, the virus will continue burning through them ad infinitum.

Advertisement