Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Geck

I have around €7-8k budget for it. Was hoping for a 5+kwh system, incluidng a battery. My house from my understanding is eligble for the grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,311 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Stan66

I have one early quote for 5 kWp, 5,2kw battery, inverter, water diverter and everything else included for €11,500 before grant.

I'd appreciate if you could pm a couple of installers that provide good value as I'd like to get a better comparison and I have a bit of trouble getting quotes. That's for installation in Kerry.

Thank You

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Haven't read the full thread, so apologies, I have a two panel system for power and two sets of tubes for the hot water (the plumber laid the hot water pipes for our upstairs bathroom next to the radiator pipes so it somehow heats the radiators if they are open during the summer) with no battery installed 5 years ago. Since then our bills are nearly zero over the summer (2 adults and 2 children) with the panels south east (but more southerly) facing house. Our bills our zero for almost 6 months of the year, and sweet FA for the rest of the year. Anyway, we are selling up and moving south but the house is completely east/west. The garage though is north/south so I am thinking of a 7 panel system with a battery and wire it in from the shed, rather than have it on the house. Not rushing as I want to be in a few weeks to assess the sunlight on different aspects (might split it north/south on the main house if that gives more). My query is, since my new house has a heat pump, would I be better going for a diverter to heat an immersion when we are not using much or just have a battery to heat the water as required. Or should I just get tubes installed as well. I know absolutely zero about solar panels other than we seem to have less than everyone on the thread but they do an awesome job and I would like that situation in my new house, even if the repayment takes a good few years. Also recommendations for a whole system crowd in Wexford or just an installer if I buy in a kit would be most welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Well, don't worry too much about an east/west roof. You don't have to have all the panels on one roof. Many of us here have 2x sets of panels and while South is "generally" the most favoured, you can get 80-85% of the production on an East/west split, and indeed it has some advantages such as you tend to get a more balanced day with an East/West split with production in the morning and evening time - often when your loads are higher, rather than noon-2pm when there may not be anyone in the house.

First piece of advice? Find out your usage. I know you mention that you pay virtually close to zero, but find out from your ESB bill what consumption you have. Your consumption will invariably determine the size of the system you should install. An average sized house will use about 4,000 units a year, and would be pretty well served by 4Kwp (about 12 panels) with a 5Kwhr battery - maybe €6-7K after grant, but again, your specific usage will determine the "best" system to install, as you will also need to match it to your budget.

Future proofing a system for 10-15 years, with the possible addition of EV down the road.....you'd be looking for a bigger system.....5+ Kwp (14-16 panels) and larger battery. If you are also a heavy water user, you may want to consider the solar pipes again. They are more efficient at heating water than the PV (electricity) panels, but of course PV is good for heating water and running the dish washer, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

What happens when you are away for a few weeks in the summer and (assuming no FIT yet) you either

A) don't have a battery

or

b) the battery is full

and

c) the diverter has heated the water to the thermostat setting?

I seem to have missed any news on a FIT on the horizon, so please fill me in if there is any.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

The power just goes out the door. I switch the immersion off when I'm away, im paranoid about flooding because we came back from our honeymoon many years ago to find a flooded house. The water tank in the attic had a leak. The house was destroyed.

On the pluss side while you're away the house is costing nothing to run. You can also see if the weather is good or bad from the app. Normally the weather is fantastic when you're on holiday 😀

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

Thanks. And what if there's a grid fault and ESB line men have to come out to your area while your PV system is sending power to the grid? I presume there's some kind of sensor on the system to monitor the grid and trip a safety if the grid is down?

Sorry I don't mean to derail the thread, just interested in how these things work. If anyone has a good external link to the usual configurations, I'd appreciate it.

The system goes off line. Your installer will have filled out a form thats sent into ESB networks so they know where and whats on the line they are working on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,328 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The inverter has a mains (grid) feed into it, and if it detects a loss of that grid power, it will shut the system down, as somewhere upstream ESB Networks would be working to fix or repair the local grid, so if 3-4 PV systems were suddenly exporting electricity back up stream, the ESB Networks team will be working on a live system, unbeknownst to them.

In the event of a power cut, and if you have a battery, you could run some basic low consumption appliances off the battery, like computers, routers, maybe a TV/fridge etc....

The tips thread here is a great forum for asking questions like this..... I'm only a newb myself to Solar PV, and the folk here have been a great help throughout the process of getting a PV system installed.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058101518/solar-pv-hints-tips-troubleshooting#latest

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭PureBred

Lads the Huawei stuff seems way more expensive than say the Solis. Seems like to add a battery to the Huawei system you need a BMS Power Module which adds another 1k to the cost. Is it justified can anyone comment?

In a word, no. I would rather to spend that money on panels. The solis for me is a robust inverter. Comes with a 5 year warranty and some installer's bring it up to 10 years. If you want you can buy a 20 year warranty from Solis. God knows what that covers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 didser

Just to chime in here. I had the Enniskillen lads out last week after they were recommended on here. I managed to fit 7.2KWp on the roof in the end and found them a sound bunch to deal with throughout so they get a solid recommendation from me.

Now I have to get back to over engineering my inverter metric monitoring 😀

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Nice. What setup did you end up getting in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,328 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Same here…. They quoted me for 14 panels which I thought was optimistic. I was thinking 11-12 at best, and they got 17 up there for a 5.78kW system….. Sound bunch of lads, no nonsense and they know what they are at.

internal wiring all very neat and tidy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 didser

7.26kwp of panels, 6kw Solis inverter, 5kwh Puredrive battery and an Eddi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭rx8

Wow, that's some set-up. I think it must be about a year since I sent you a pm about them. Good to hear about another happy customer. A really genuine bunch of guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Moved to a house in rural Wexford recently. Looking to get quotes for 2 things - solar with battery and also a backup generator in case of power cuts. Looking to put as big a PV setup as is sensible. Have a 100m2 steel shed in addition to the house that I could put panels on.

Can anyone recommend a company that could do both PV and the backup generator? Assuming it makes sense to look to do both at the same time?

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Billydoc

Hi, I built my house and moved in at the end of 2011. I believe I miss the grant by a year. Does anyone know are seai strict with the years with paying out the grant? And if I can’t get the grant would companies look at that in giving a better quote. Or should I just pay full whack and get on with it?

• Advertisement

PMs are blocked on your side, send me a pm and I will send you on some info.

They are by the book. But going non grant is not the worst move. The SEAI demand a lot of stuff thats not needed and that jacks up the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 kdceddj

I need your opinion on a few quotes I have received for a Solar PV system to be installed on the roof of a semi-detached house, SW facing, in County Dublin.

1.   3.2kW system (10 x Longi panels, Solis inverter, 5.3kWh Weco Battery, Eddi) €9,700 - €2,700 (seai) = €7,000

2.      3.8 kW system (10 x Luxor panels, Solis Inverter, 4.8 kWh Pylon Tech Battery, Eddi) €11,200 - €2,940 (seai) = €8,260

3.      3.9 kW system (10 x REC panels, GivEnergy inverter, 5.2 kWh GivEnergy Battery, Eddi) €13,000 - €2,970 (seai) = €10,030

4. 3.8 kW system (10 x LG panels, GivEnergy inverter, 5.2 kWh GivEnergy Battery, Eddi) €13,200 - €2,940 (seai) = €10,260

5.      3.8 kW system (10 x LG panels, Huawei inverter, 5 kWh Huawei battery, Eddi) €14,800 - €2,940 (seai) = € 11,860

Thanks in advance!

Only one comes close and thats off by a grand or so. I'm sorry but all that work was for nothing.

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭championc

SaaS now gone up to €30 per month. Saw it on the my*****.ie stand at the Ideal Homes exhibition in the RDS this morning. If your roof can fit 8 panels, they will do 8 at that price.

Well done to those that jumped in at €20 p/m.

Might still makes sense for you @kdceddj to ask them about 10 panels

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

That's a pain pity re the SaaS company. They sent me an initial quote at the €20 price last week, so I wonder how this will work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Gerhard was saying that to me a few weeks ago.

He's finding people are wanting slightly bigger and the costs of materials has gone up.

Glad i jumped when I did

The extra panel is, only a fiver extra if you get the eddi. Still makes it 600.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

€30p/m over 10 years + the €1800 they get from the grant = €5400. Seems fairly expensive for a 2.56kWp system?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement