Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The creeping prominence of the Irish language

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭deirdremf

Precisely. If the course isn't fit for purpose, or if the teaching is not up to standard, then the contact hours are not there.

You asked for evidence, I gave it and you respond with wishy washy sentimental gibberish.

The simple fact is that there are not enough fluent speakers here to be able to mandate that all services are provided through both languages.

Feel free to provide evidence to the contrary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Upforthematch

Why shouldn't Irish be treated "like a core part of our internal systems"?

It's a rights issue, it's our national language and not comparable to your model collection because it is not a hobby.

I would have preferred to learn code in school than learning English literature but there you go. Irish & English language education are part and parcel of education in Ireland. The "choice" argument shouldn't be thrown at one at the expense of the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 thechigger

Honestly as long as they don't completely replace the English language stuff with Irish I don't mind it. Irish is the official first language anyway

If the Irish language had the general support you seem to believe it does far more of a percentage of our population would be able to speak it and speak it fluently. They don't. If the Irish language had the general support you seem to believe it does we wouldn't have seen the continuous even accelerated drop off in its usage amomg Irish people throughout the 20th century. Yet we did.

Fair questions on the face of it - but for instance, when the government removes one support after another then it is left to the individual. Furthermore as we know in other fields, the market is a sort of a steam roller. Look at another situation - Brussels. Traditionally a Dutch-speaking city, only a small minority there today are native Dutch speakers. Dutch is the majority language in Belgium with huge support from the State and a wide range of official bodies, yet it has become marginalised in the capital city. Despite all the support available, and despite services actually existing in Dutch.

If the Irish language had the general support you seem to believe it does then how did FG get "lots of votes and way more seats than anyone else"? Though the language was almost certainly low down that list ....

You have answered your question by stating the language was low down the list of priorities in 2011 - the economy was down the toilet, people were struggling, emigration was huge. People castigated FF by voting FG and Labour. Nonetheless,

As I said earlier we have an odd and often contradictory attitude to the language. On the one hand we might say it would be a shame to lose it, on the other a small minority actually use it as a language. The very reason for its existence. You do a straw poll on an Irish street and you'd almost certainly get a fair percentage saying isn't it great we have our native language, but try the same question on the same street as Gaelige and see how many can answer you. And "Ni thuigim an ceist" doesn't count. 😁

Yes, we do have a contradictory attitude. However it takes time and effort to become fluent in another language, so those that have not managed to become fluent in Irish while at school are at a huge disadvantage, given that they have to earn a living, bring up children and so on - and carry on their normal life which generally means speaking to their friends, family and neighbours in a language that both sides of the conversation are comfortable in. Or even just due to inertia - in any social context, it is my experience that most people stick to the language they first used with someone else, unless something happens to make them change to a different language, like for instance when a new French-speaking immigrant might find people with some French in the initial period, but as the immigrant becomes more familiar with English and more at ease in the language, they might later change to speaking English. Or Irish; I know quite a few immigrants in Conamara and Corca Dhuibhne who have learned Irish and have become completely fluent in the language.

Evade, I have to laugh. As "said poster", I simply want the option to attend a course run in Irish. To please you I would have to apply for grants (which I doubt exist for Irish language options) and give the courses myself, I wish I had such expertise to share!

But back on track, I can't see where I can do an ECDL course in Irish for example. These ECDL courses are usually run by schools, colleges or by large training companies. And ECDL is pretty basic these days, it isn't something exotic.

Perhaps unintentionally Evade, you have raised an interesting point. The whole area of courses run through Irish even if they did exist would probably struggle for lack of numbers in any local area after a while. Now thanks to covid, online zoom courses are more mainstream now and online courses run in Irish could keep up numbers I'd say because anyone anywhere could do them.

If a "train the trainer" model was offered through Irish it could help people like me even get involved, I wouldn't want Evade thinking I'm just here scrounging Irish language services and not giving anything back now :p

According to your figures, 18% of the population are active speakers of Irish. And you think that there are not enough people in the country to provide services in Irish?

On top of which you insult me. It is clear that you have issues, maybe you should deal with them rather than spouting hatred on the internet.

DaCor, the issue is that there are not enough fluent speakers employed to be able to provide the services in both languages.

It's not a requirement in the job spec.

I'm sure CSO could run some figures to show how the X thousand daily speakers outside the education system are employed currently.

If a "train the trainer" model was offered through Irish it could help people like me even get involved

We are told that there are not enough people available who speak Irish, yet the census tells us that 18% of people actively speak Irish. However this isn't good enough for some: unless you speak Irish every day, they seem to think your Irish isn't up to scratch. And of course maybe for some it isn't - but being trained up apparently is fine for English speakers, or immigrants with English as a second language. But not for Irish speakers, apparently.

Take my own case. I speak Irish to my children; but when they move out, I may no longer be a daily speaker, as my OH doesn't speak Irish. According to some here, I will no longer qualify as an Irish speaker as a result!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Evade

I did suggest to other posters taking the government to court over the lack of services you're entitled to. But that would involve actually doing something about it which most of the people demanding it seem unwilling to do. Everyone seems to want Irish available but no one seems willing to do it

Never insulted you, just pointed out your post was sentimental wishy washy nonsense

Isn't it a good thing that most people are not taking out court cases? Highly confrontational and costly.

Instead what we are seeing is a "creeping prominence of the Irish language", which is obviously hitting a nerve as it is.

My point is that we need that turn that trickle into a stream to get the public services fully functioning. That's not an overnight job but the latest Irish language act requiring 20% of new hires in the public service to be Irish speakers is a step in the right direction.

I agree Deirdre, there's definitely a gap here. The old numbers argument is irrelevant now thanks to online courses.

I don't like the fact that the courts seem to be the only way to get things done here but that's the system here.

Unless a cupla focail will get you into the public service that doesn't seem like a realistic target.

Take my own case. I speak Irish to my children; but when they move out, I may no longer be a daily speaker, as my OH doesn't speak Irish. According to some here, I will no longer qualify as an Irish speaker as a result!

Sorry if this seems like a mad question, and feel free not to answer, but do your children reply in Irish?

I ask because I was in the city centre last Friday, and a woman walked by me holding the hand of a small child (I'd guess 5 or 6). For about 5 or 6 sentences I heard what they were saying to each other. The woman spoke in Polish and the child spoke in English. There was such a flow to what they were saying that it couldn't have been anything other than a conversation. I'd heard of the phenomenon among immigrant families, but it was the first time in my life I'd witnessed it.

• Advertisement

You did, and as reasonably as I could I explained why it wasn't a good suggestion. If I want a service I want a service, not a sodding lawsuit. By the time you'd get a court case out of the way, you'd have won, cost the State loads of money, and got a service a couple of years after you needed it (if you were lucky). People do it, and if I wasn't getting a service I wanted I'd do it, but it's not a good way to do business for the citizen, the service agency or the taxpayer - so suggesting that it is a good way to do business is only gonna make people think you're the proverbial one-legged man in a chocolate teapot kicking contest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

For some courses, definitely; but for the more practical ones you need to a teacher to be physically present to show you what you're doing wrong. I've done online art courses, done everything as explained, but still got a less than satisfactory result. Also, a lot of people do courses for social interaction as much as the course itself.

I see the issue though: but training every course teacher to speak Irish is impractical and also going to put a lot of skilled teachers off (not to metnion students - if I'm doing a cookery course, I want the best cooking teacher, not someone who's a bad teacher but a good Irish speaker - so what then are the solutions if the numbers genuinely aren't there?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭TimeUp

I think lessons for those who are really interested in the language is a good call. Be it alone or extra, I'm sure it must be much easier to concentrate and benefit from a lesson when you're surrounded by people who have the same passion as you rather than by people who spend these lessons simply dozing off or messing.

I thought you were trying to leave me out of it?

• Advertisement

Absolutely, the teacher needs to be suitably qualified in the subject in order to give the class and practical courses don't work online I agree.

What would work well are courses that work well online in any language, I'm thinking local history, GIY, journalism, social media, marketing, training, lifecoaching, tourism, start your own business, community studies, digital photography, translation skills, literature, music appreciation etc... Surely there are fluent Irish speakers that would be qualified give an online night class in some of those topics a few weeks a year? An online class would only hold a dozen students or so anyway so it wouldn't be that hard to fill.

I think there are about 10 organisations offering zoom classes to learn Irish as it is, so the infrastructure is there to branch out a bit to give people an opportunity to keep up the Irish they have while enjoying a different area they're passionate about.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Your response demonstrates perfectly the problem. The teaching and promotion of Irish over past 100 years has been an utter failure. Now there is a choice to be made, continue justifying it as you do and let the decline continue or face up to it and take radical steps to redress the situation.

My money is on plodding along and after the next 100 years it will be a dead language.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

The teacher and the classroom will not make it happen, there is no motivation for people to learn, it is not relevant to their lives. The whole approach is killing the language!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

It would have to be a dozen students with the ability and desire to also do said course in Irish though.

I'd totally support idea provided the demand was there. But I'm against the idea of implementing vast and complicated procedures on the basis that there might be demand later.

Post edited by Princess Consuela Bananahammock on

Courses can't run without students. It's obvious really.

On the one hand you have @Jim2007 saying in the previous post that the old methods don't work and are irrelevant and that you need something new and innovative to attract people and on the other hand it's proving a struggle for you to support a trial in online night courses for which there would be at least 80,000 potential fluent students (i.e. counted, daily Irish speakers)!

I think on both sides of the argument "the heart" is running the show. That's not a bad thing, it will certainly create long debates on boards.ie anyway!

You'd sometimes wonder whether the State should pilot a scheme where they give the existing Irish language community with some money for a few years and say "let's see what results you lot can get". Could the outcome be any worse than we've seen to date?

Well, any good idea needs to be checked for demand before, and this is no different. Checking for demand is the easy bit. I have no problem with trailing online night courses in Irish - the problem I have is going full-on and using up resources and money without trailing it first. Do one or two subjects you think would be the most likely to attact Irish speakers or where the teaching talent is already there and expand from there if it's a success.

Jim can be a bit of a hardliner for my tastes, but he has a point when he says the old methods don't work, but I don't think that's relevant to evening courses where the language ability as already there.

@Ulysses - I think you'll find we've been doing that repeadly and the results are billingual roadsigns. They can probably only do so much with a largely apathetic population, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

This isn’t an example of creeping prominence, because it’s been this way for decades, but the Leaving Cert results sheet gives priority to Irish and is deceptively difficult to read.

The pre2000 results sheet had the two versions on different sides, I think.

If the State itself is taking an approach that is failing - and many Irish speakers would agree that it is - then the State could always put it up to the Irish speakers and say "righto, you're the enthusiasts, let's see if you lot can do any better". But clearly, it wouldn't make sense to jump in and do that, hence the notion of piloting an approach first. If the Irish enthusiasts can make better use of some money in a pilot scheme than the State agencies normally do, that points a way towards getting more efficient and effective results. On the other hand, if the Irish language enthusiasts can't, then they can't claim that the State itself is the cause of the policy failure.

I appreciate that almost anything that is done to promote or develop the Irish language will meet with apathy, ignorance or hostility from the noisy Anglos. That's their view, and they're entitled to it. But I've never given a **** what they think, and I don't plan to start now. I'm a taxpayer, this is important to me, and I want it done and done well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Language is used to talk to people , if 95 per cent of people you know speak only English you, ll speak English too maybe everyone in the Gaeltacht speak Irish all the time I doubt it

We grow up learning English with no effort that's reality the difference is everyone in France speaks French Spanish people speak Spanish learning French Spanish will give you extra work opportunity's if you wish to work in an international company

schools have limits on time and resources should they spend more time money teaching Irish than say physics history maths etc ? and maybe theres not many teachers that are really fluent and skilled in teaching Irish no matter what decisions the government takes Re the language

So right now I can see no big rise in the no of people speaking Irish outside schools in a time when the government is facing immense challenges , inflation, supply side crisis. Housing crisis climate crisis fuel price rises etc

• Advertisement

But who's getting the money right now? People who aren't Irish enthusiasts...?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

That's not true. I have spent some time in Connemara and I have recently met native Irish speakers there who genuinely struggle to speak English, aged under 30.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Given you will hear(and read) more English in Ireland on a daily basis including within Gaeltacht areas, especially in the tourist season how in god's name does someone under 30 today genuinely struggle to speak English? As a teenager going fishing with my dad in the 80's all over the West and in Gaeltacht areas I certainly encountered a couple of old people he knew from back in the day(this was in Achill) whose English was faltering at times, with a cupla focal thrown in, but even then the kids my own age were fluent English speakers. I find it hard to believe that someone under 30 these days with mass media being more massive and even intrusive and almost entirely in english in this country could be struggling.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

While I'm not thinking sheltered, I'd love to know where said person went to school.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It's possible. If someone grew up in an exclusively Irish speaking family in a majority Irish speaking small community and attended both primary and secondary through Irish, never went to any sort of third level and only really engaged with Irish media, books, TG4 and the like. I can't imagine someone like that is anything but an absoluetly tiny minority though.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Honestly, that would be a very irresponsible way to raise a child especially if they can't interact with anyone outside of the local community. Poor fecker would have a tiny amount of jobs they could go for and even when you look at something like dating they would have a tiny pool of people who they could communicate with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Maybe it's a Gaeltacht version of the Amish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

• Advertisement

English is a core part of the curriculum though, for better or for worse. And, as someone above said, how they managed to avoid all forms of media for said thirty years.

I mean, pre-internet - sure But today..?

Yes, they do; but AFAIK it is quite common for young children in bilingual families to reply in the language they hear most around them. I understand that this is usually just a stage they go through.

I'm not sure what you are accusing me of justifying. I have explained why the system doesn't work, I have not argued to retain that system.

If we want our kids to learn to speak Irish we need to provide them with an effective education, and the international evidence (including Irish evidence) is that immersion education (ie, Gaelscoileanna in the Irish case) is required to give our kids fluency in Irish if they do not speak it at home.

Yes - the overwhelming majority of the State spend on the Irish language goes to anyone except Irish enthusiasts. By the way, that isn't a bad thing in and of itself, because public policies should be implemented by professionals rather than enthusiastic amateurs. But that leads to money being chanelled through people who are merely phoning it in. State agencies who are merely ticking boxes and complying with the regs, for one example. Teachers who don't care, for another. They've already been referenced in this thread.

When it comes to the delivery of any public policy objective, there will almost always be different opinions about the validity of the policy objective itself - otherwise we wouldn't have competing political parties and platforms. But it's quite common for there to be agreement about how well or badly the policy is being implemented.

In the case of Irish, the noisy Anglos and the Irish enthusiasts will disagree about what is and isn't desirable when it comes to Irish language policy. But there's more agreement than you might think about whether the money that is being spent is being spent well or wasted. The noisy Anglos have a simple answer: don't spend the money. The Irish enthusiasts have a more complicated answer: spend it better. But that means that Irish enthusiasts can let themselves off the hook and blame the gubbmint for the fact that Irish isn't more widely spoken. If they have any better ideas, let's see them put them into action. If money is a barrier to trying out the idea, let them make a case to government that they have a better way of using some of the money, and let the government divert some of what they're currently spending and pilot the idea. If it works, they're on to a winner. If it doesn't, at least they tried - and the Irish enthusiasts can't continue to pin the rap on officialdom.

Someone did a "back of a fag packet" calculation for me at the weekend (yes, there was drink taken). At most, a typical Irish person who goes through a typical Irish school career will, at a stretch, get 1,200 hours of being taught Irish. Even if we assume that this is genuine contact (it often isn't), and even if we add some more for children doing some homework and revision outside school (they often don't), they might get that figure up to 1,800 or so.

That's a really generous estimate of 1,800 hours of exposure to Irish by the time they're 18. And if they grow up in a household with English-speaking parents and go to mainstream schools, they'll have been exposed to something like 90,000 hours of English. If we think the schools can solve problem for us - at least as they are currently set up - we're kidding ourselves.

I've met older Irish speakers who struggle with English, and I've met younger speakers for whom English is a second language, but the only people under 30 I've met who struggled with English were a very small number of young kids. I was told at the weekend that there are currently some 500 Irish-speaking children under 5 (mainly in the Gaeltacht) who have had no or very limited contact with English, and who will not get contact with English until they start school. I should note that this information came without a source or reference, although I've no particular reason to doubt the person who told me.

• Advertisement

On the face of it, I'd agree with what you're saying.

By the way, it looks like your phone is autocorrecting something to 'noisy anglos' every time your write it though. Might want to proofread next time.

We have neither the will nor the resources.

Again - if we can't teach Irish effectively in Irish, why should we expand it to all the other subjects?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭youtheman

I spent 14 years 'learning' the Irish Language. At the end of it I couldn't put 2 sentences together, or understand a word. Furthermore I hated the language, mostly due to the deep frustration I felt when they tried to teach me something that I just couldn't 'get'. I obviously had no talent for this language, or indeed any other language, and I was in no way motivated. But I think the 'root cause' is that it is very hard to learn a language in a classroom environment (only).

I'm always amazed that if you meet a teenage German (for example) they can speak fluent English, and we spend more time studying Irish and we can't even get the basics right (I know I am tarring us all with the same brush here a little).

Talk about the laws of unintended consequences. The Brits tried to ban Irish centuries ago and it made it more popular. In more recent times they have made learning Irish compulsory, and made it less popular.

I think we need to accept that Irish, while it might be a European language, it is not a 'Language of Commerce'. So it will have a limited audience.

In schools, I think all young students should be exposed to 'Irish Language Appreciation' classes. Then those that want to continue Irish studies should be exposed to it (using whatever techniques are considered to be the best). Those who don't should have the option of giving it up. I don't think the model of compulsory Irish until 18 years is really working. So we can dedicate the resources to those who are motivated to learn it.

On a practical level, when I drive from Cork to Kerry and come on a dangerous bend and I see the words 'Go Mall' painted on the road I say to myself "what it that really doing for road safety?".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

Literally every single Irish language discussion cliche all rolled up into one post, down to the "language of commerce" line. Amazing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement