Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your thoughts on the fertiliser price s for 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

They tend to take a much more active role in risk management out there between futures and options.

Lads here are many more times exposed than the likes of him would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Their variable costs are a hell of alot bigger fraction than ours, and profit per litre alot lower (but obviously alot more litres per cow etc), so if they don't fix a reasonable amount of variable costs then they could quickly find themselves in the red by a huge amount. If the fertilizer doubles for the average dairyfarmer here lets call that means 6cent instead of 3cent a litre, and so fair the base increasing will of more than covered that. The only question for me is what if it more than doubles, and I can only get say 50% what I need lol, that's what I'll roughly plan towards, but hopefully won't come to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Putin making noises about curbing fertilizer exports to ensure supply for their own farmers, its game over if this occurs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Sbarley trading at £250 ton for january delivery, bread wheat will be atleast 100 more next harvest. Be a world of beans and low n crops put in next spring.

Alot of the buying groups earned their money for once and snapped up An for 400- 450 back in August.

Soya bean meal could well be cheaper then maize come next autumn, thinking here to switch over a good chunk of silage ground into maize and hopefully be able to use soya to balance the protein side of things

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭straight

I passed a small tillage farm locally today. I never saw such a stash of fertiliser in my life. He has tried to hide it behind some trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,739 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

US (unlike most of the EU) has a vast amount of public/state land. They could probably achieve the 30% easily that way(we could probably do the same here via BNM and Coillte landholdings which would be a win/win for all without any further private designations, would probably need a clearout of the corporate fat cat types currently running these semi-states)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,656 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It one thing forward buying fertlizer. If you do you need inside storage. Fertlizer that gets wet or damp is a pain in the hole to deal with. Unless you have internal storage I gamble until spring time.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 13,830 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It certainly would be significant, bit of an understatement. Lads who are heavily stocked should be planning either way.

We are witnessing the end of the free market approach that started in the 80s.

A return to the previous thousands of years approach, that industries that were key to national survival should not be left in to the hands of those who might not wish you well, care either way or benefit extraordinarily from your pain.

There is a strategic interest in a country or the EU being able to ensure it's own food or energy supply. The pants are well down the ankles in Western Europe now.

Post edited by Danzy on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

But your forgetting the extra cost of all the fertiliser a crop of maize needs …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,656 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Maize is a high risk crop. Is the plastic for it banned next year or is it the year after. As well it will not solve a feed issue next June-September if fertlizer is an issue. It will actually make your problem worse as you will have used up product for to make feed that you may not need until 2023

Slava Ukrainii

Year after, using a early maturing variety here, that can be feed straight away after cutting, maize was cut here on the 24 th of September this year and has been making up 40% of the cows tmr since the start of October, compared to a 3 cut silage system you'll get away with using a third of the nitrogen....

Have the required fertilizer re p's and k's plus slirry to grow a good chunk of maize in the shed already and nitrogen,it's a risk worth taking re getting a good crop with the general consensus been protein crops like soya bean and beans will be grown in 2023 worldwide instead of maize/wheat/barley as they need little to no nitrogen, so balancing the protein in the maize will be good value hypothetically then trying to buy in energy for the diet to balance silage in grain maize/barely etc that will be by all accounts cost a fortune

• Registered Users Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Common fallacy Mahoney.

Maize only needs 40u/acre if plenty organic manures are used.

Also, imho, maize is being planted way to heavy in Ireland. Someone decided years (decades?) ago that it needs to be planted at 115k seeds per hectare..and it’s now taken as law. I did a little experiment with Irish type maize (FAO 160) that I planted on the 20th of June. Some got planted at 111k/ha and more was planted at 69k/ha. The 69k out yielded the 111k by about 5t/ha of grain. Established thinking often only suits the merchants. Teagasc should be doing trials on seeding rates, but they’re obviously busy with MPs…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Feeding ‘hot’ maize straight after pitting is a dangerous thing to do. You’re running the risk of exploding the bacterial flore in the stomach. At least give 100g/hd of baking soda??

60 grams of a inactived yeast plus additive used on maize aswell

Agreed on the maize being a very successful crop here. I'm back to about 80units bag N. Yep its an expensive crop per ac to grow and harvest (best part of 800e/ac with last few yrs costs), however one harvest against the 3 with grass silage, and doing very rough sums we get our 20t dm/ha fairly consistently here, so thats working out at about 10c/kgdm in the pit. Plastic from 2023 onwards needs to be biodegradable which will add something like 50e a roll. Will be interesting to do the sums on the rest of the input costs for next year, lets say its 1200e, that will be 15c/kg dm, I guess what will the equivalent price increases be for grass silage crops?

And yeh interesting point about the seed rates Dawg, certainly something that I'll annoy the sower next year about reducing 15% or so ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ginger22

agree with your comment about seeding rates for maize. always find where some plants fail that the remaining plants have much larger cobs and often two full cobs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭DBK1

There's no-one sowing maize at them rates in Ireland, or certainly not under plastic anyway. 10 - 15 years ago when Justina and Benicia were the most common varieties recommended seed rate was 39 - 44k per acre or 96 - 109k per ha. With the newer varieties being used now FAO's of a minimum of 200 and up to 230 are being used and recommended seed rates would be 36 - 40k per acre or 89 - 99k per ha.

I can assure you Teagasc knowledge of maize can only politely be described as minimal at best. If there's anyone considering maize as a new grower then Teagasc should be the last place to go for advice.

Post edited by DBK1 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Are BMR varieties grown here?

The Yank youtubers I watch don't want to see a second cob. And the key to silage yield is the thickness of the plant and nothing to do with height.

I see Samco have a maize starch based plastic developed which will still be allowed to be used but as you say a price increase of 40 - 50%. I believe they are also working on a new system for the machines which will allow the plastic to be layed in single rows over the plants instead of 1 roll covering the 2 rows. This will allow for 40% less plastic being used as the space between the plants will not be covered. I suppose theoretically this should keep the cost per acre somewhere similar to what it is now as the reduced quantity balances out the increased price.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Any barley/ wheat crop always got 120 units of nitrogen +slurry/dung here.by loads of organic manure roughly how many 1000 gls to the acre dawg.around here I think it runs 6k plus gallons/acre for maize.dont think there's enough acres in the country to operate at very low nitro tillage but maybe I m wrong.the amount of maize being drawn out west this year is frightening in West cork so there must be something in it.

Maize here last 2 years …2 bumper crops …sown at 50 k seeds per acre …gets 7/8 k slurry split over 3 applications …2 bags/acre 0 7 30 and 2 bags urea acre down with seed ….I know of lads using way more than that that would proably see dwag blow a head gasket !!!!!!….we don’t have a great climate or the scale to grow Maize like dwag would and thus we sow heavier ,use plastic and throw the kitchen sink at it pre sowing ….in the lap of the gods after that ….was very worried about mine through may wind damaged plastic and it was cold and wet …powered on from June got bumper crop I’ll be disappointed if it dosnt come back at 35/36 maby more starch

Its a very common thing where lads look at the height of a crop and make their assumptions on yield from that and as you say it actually has very little to do with yield. More often than not the taller crops are actually the poorer yielding crops as the plants have grown tall and thin due to competition from one another for sunlight which results in a stressed plant that can't produce a proper cob.

The majority of the yield (weight) of a crop comes from the cob's. A shorter plant with 2 full cobs will far out yield a tall crop with one cob in both fresh weight and starch. Obviously the ideal scenario is to have a tall plant with a thick stem and all full cobs but generally the tall crops in Ireland don't get the weather to achieve this so you end up with a stressed plant that's not able to fill the cobs.

This year however has been an exceptional year for maize growth and there have been some serious crops harvested where this "ideal scenario" has been achieved.

Episode 209 of Working Cows podcast, Margaret Byfield - Understanding 30 x 30 says quite the opposite of that. Federal ties to land is how they'll look to control land indefinately. Not public/state land.

BNM & Coilte don't have enough land to come close to covering the extra 17% of land area in Ireland. AFAIK they can't even cover the proposed 10% "wilderness" strictly protected areas.

There are NO positives to these land grabs for any landowner. As Byfield says, designations eventually smother the agricultural enterprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭enricoh

Lads near me are growing maize to send up to a digester over the border, there's some fleet of yokes hauling.

Apparently there's some big grant going for it up north as it's a green energy thing. A lad was saying it's basically the cash for ash scandal part 2, just the scandal isn't public yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ginger22

normal maize plastic is available for next year

It is indeed which will give plenty of time for development of the new system to reduce the amount of plastic required.

Edit to add;

Just saw this:

8 bags 18 6 12 per ac if no organic fert is used is the lash it out approach here. (Sorry dawg, hope that doesn't cause a heart attack lol). Which for Wicklow soils is far too much p, the 144 units N actually still compares favourably compare to any sort of 2 or 2 cut grass silage system, but still far to much for me. One thing you do gotta factor in also, if your ploughing a permanent grass field for maize you'll get an additional 40units N from the soil.

8/9 bags of 18s and 6/8 k slurry and fym I hear 😱😱😱😱

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

If buying in feed maize is up there, but if on leased ground young stock + silage is the more flexible approach unless milking during the winter imo.

Early plus late grazing would give lower wintering costs and keep quality right

Advertisement