Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to get back to work but have gaps in CV and no referees ...

Options
  • 22-10-2021 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi, I qualified as an accounting technician in the mid-90s and worked in accounts roles since then until 2009. I left my job due to burnout/mental health issues. Since then I've done a few courses and worked on and off in the hospitality industry. My mental health issues are resolved now and I would like to get back into office work, in particular accounting work as that is what I'm trained to do and enjoy. At the moment I am on the PUP as I was working as a waitress when the pandemic started. I'm now in my late forties.

My question is: is it too late to go back? Will employers frown at the gap in my CV? What should I say? Am I unemployable in this field now?

Any advise welcomed, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭893bet

Assuming female as you say waitress.

Have you kids that you could say you quit work to raise? Alternatively you were full time career for relative etc.

bring honest I fear would go against you.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Mandyxxx

No kids. I realise that would be a very acceptable reason to have a gap in a CV!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

You had health issues, which are now resolved. The employer has no right to ask for details on the health issue. I've had similar situations in the past. Just reassure them that the issue is now resolved, and that your are confident that it will not reoccur going forward.

If you can provide solid references from your time in the hospitality industry, that should be of great help.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭Allinall

Being honest will absolutely be the right thing to do.

Employers aren't fools, and will see through a made up story straight away. They certainly win't want to employ a dishonest person, especially in a finance role.

Are the courses you have done finance related? If so, that will be a big plus.

• Advertisement

And it's never too late to return to a previous career. You are certainly not unemployable, and you can show it. Prove that you are willing to learn and adapt to changing practices, and have an interest in the field. Ongoing education, even something as simple as being informed about online sources/blogs/courses etc. will show that you are keen to learn.

I fully agree. Be honest, but upbeat. You haven't committed a crime!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,083 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Never too late - you may want to be not choosy to get your first position - don't worry too much about getting an accounting job initially. Get something back in an office, reception or call centre or whatever. It will be a lot easier to get an accounting position from there.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Yes, I'm just going to be honest.

The courses I did were in Digital Marketing and some software development (but not enough to make a career out of it).

I do have some potential referees in the hospitality industry, if needed.

Andrew's advice to apply for an admin/reception job is a good idea.

I was thinking of going to an agency and letting them "sell" me to prospective employers. Perhaps do some temping.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Protoman

It's a tricky one. Honesty is the best policy I agree, but mental health issues are still stigmatised in the hiring process by a lot of companies one would fear.

I would be interested to hear from a HR professional how they approach this in the real world and not with the company boilerplate angle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,083 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I would avoid declaring the mental health issues if at all possible. It's not hard to come up with a credible story around caring for an elderly relative or whatever.

When you have a good relationship with a good employer with two-way trust, then you might declare these issues, but until then, really no-one needs to know.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I would imagine the first concern of any employer would be a knowledge gap - things have moved on a log since 2009. So you'd need to find a way to show that you are up to date on the accounting & tax issues.

Are you fixed on getting employment or would you consider freelance or offering bookkeeping services?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,975 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It was really good of you to put your career on hold to care for your elderly aunties, who are now sadly RIP.

Make sure you know their names, a bit about where they lived (a long way from your current location) and what being a full time caregiver is like (Google it) - but don't get drawn into any detailed conversations about it. Just sat it makes you too sad to talk about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭scottygee

Admin can be an option and then as you go for that continue with your courses since you have a connection in the hospitality industry (?) I don't just a suggestion.

I think there's no harm in going for an agency. In tech, companies rely on remote recruiters or headhunters to get the best tech talent, well that's according to this - it's a good read to be honest. Maybe it's worth trying? I have tried going for recruiters, they can be annoying but helpful cause after going on an interview they give you feedback on how you did and what you can improve on. That way when you jump on another interview you have an idea of how to get the conversation going.

Oh and freelancing temporarily might be a good option too.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

If you can get to the point where you are doing accounts for say 4 or 5 small companies that could be a solid little earner. I know a few people doing this.

"I had health issues, which are resolved now"

That is all you need to say, you do not need to specify mental health. Posters here can like it or not but there is still a stigma around mental health.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Mollydog123

Mental heath issues are common in any workplace as in life, so in a lot of cases the employers would have dealt with them before. I work for a large multinational and went on my first mental health first aid course a few months ago. My 10 cents would be to be honest as previous posters have said. Also the larger the company the more they would have dealt with any type of health issues.

Good points. I have kept up to date with tax changes etc over the years, but I'll see what else I can do to show a potential employer.

Re: freelancing, I would prefer the security of a paycheck but it's something to consider if I can't get into employment.

Thanks for all your replies... I'm going to do up my CV over the long weekend. I've seen a few jobs online that sound exactly like what I used to do...! So it will be interesting to see what response I get.

If I get called to an interview, that is the place to bring up health issues, I think. Not specifically mental health, just health issues as a few posters suggested. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I expect there are lots of small hospitality businesses that have need for someone part time rather than full time in accounting, could you blend waitressing with accounting as a step back towards full time accounting?

Another option could be to target a company you would like to work for and look for an entry level position with a view to an internal move to their accounting department.

• Advertisement

True though, there's strength in numbers when you're doing freelancing. Just takes a while to build up that client base.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,050 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Send out the cvs and do the interviews and be optimistic, you have to convince them that you are the person they want. I generally assume if you’re called for an interview you are good enough for the role and the interview is to see who would fit in the best , so let yourself shine

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭gauchesnell

absolutely not too late. Gaps are normal as people are human and have personal responsibilities etc The suggestion of getting into an admin role as a start is great. I have a colleague who never worked in an office before - spent her career up until joining my employer working in hospitality. Joined my workpace couple of years ago and is loving in. Not sure where you are based by my employer (Dublin) is always on the look out for admin staff - its public sector so plenty of scope for working in a finance area and will support you for further study etc.

Thanks for your reply gauchesell.

I spent last week reading up on CVs, cover letters and interviews and have prepared my accounting CV.

I applied online for a few jobs. I got a phone call from a guy from an agency who sounded really positive and talked through my CV with me. He will pass my CV onto the company. Said if I don't get an interview they will get me something else.

Also got a nicely written rejection email saying to apply for future openings.

It's early days but I'll give it my best.

Just thought I'd give an update as it may be helpful to others in similar circumstances.

Just signed contracts today for a role starting in the new year.

A few tips:

• Get your mindset right. If you feel ashamed or embarrassed about gaps in your work history, employers will pick up on that. You need to be clear in your mind that you have valuable skills and experience to offer and are eagar and ready to get back into work. You are perfectly entitled to earn a living. Focus on what you've done, the experience you have, not the gaps.
    • Be authentic. Personally I inserted a paragraph in my cover letters saying left the workforce due to health issues which are now resolved. It turns out that employers don't read the cover letters so I was usually asked about the gap. I did 4 interviews, got 2 job offers, one rejection and one didn't get back to me yet. I also had to turn down a few interviews. Overall I must have applied for about 30 jobs. Looks like there's plenty of work out there.
    • Go through each job, course, voluntary activity you've ever done and come up with a list of your soft and hard skills. This will keep you focused on the positive. On my CV underneath my personal profile I had a section titled Core Skills, where I listed my accounting skills. Otherwise they would have been buried on page 2.
    • Expect that you will be rejected as most job seekers experience this. Success consists in picking yourself up one more time than you fall. JK Rowling was rejected by 12 publishers before she got the Harry Potter books published. I only got one really negative response - from an agency. I also got an admiring response from one interviewer who remarked on my broad CV. Adopt a spirit of adventure - you owe it to yourself to do the best for you.
    • Be prepared to talk through your CV, each role. Check out some YouTube videos on interview techniques. You may get a phone screening interview with no chance to prepare, so be ready to talk through your experience - the standared interview question is "Tell me about yourself/your career to date".

Thanks to everyone who responded to my post. The response here inspired me to go for it and give it my best. Cheers.

Advertisement