Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle infrastructure planned for south Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

I used to cycle commute from DL to the Curragh 2-3 times a week, was grand. Used to come home the Rock Road and through Deansgrange, which I always found the worst part of the commute. I always ended up on the path, which is bad. I no longer cycle due to chronic injury, so I'm forced to use the car.

My barber is in Deansgrange and I regularly shop in the butcher, Super Value etc.

While I know cycle infrastructure is needed, the bollards on Kill Lane already reduced the frequency that I shop there now.

If the 1 way system goes ahead, I just won't bother going there at all or I'd be forced drive through St. Fintans which will inevitably be congested.

I can see the positives but for me, its a negative.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Not planned infrastructure but infrastructure that needs considerable reworking...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,374 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is that out around templeogue? there was a woman killed on her bike on one of the roundabouts there a few years ago.

I think it is Templeville Rd

• Registered Users Posts: 8,072 ✭✭✭buffalo

The video is the eastern end of Templeville Road, that death was at the western end IIRC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,976 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Good old DMURS, creates lethal hazards by a conflict of priorities.

Several roundabouts in the DLR area were reverted back to their previous unmarked traffic lanes because of massive local pushback over the danger it created.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Bad design doesn't excuse **** driving though which was what that was. That's excellent awareness by the cyclist (which you won't always see), and near criminal negligence by the second truck driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Alias G

The danger was created by inattentive motorists inability to pay attention to signage and markings and yield to priority. Funnily enough, the very same roundabout designs operate seamlessly in other countries. What is it about irish motorists?

But they don't. The 'turbo roundabout' is a proven design, but thats not whats on Wellington Lane, thats a DMURS Irish abomination.

Below 1 is a turbo roundabout, 2 is a DMURS roundabout in Ireland. The disadvantage it puts cyclists at is obvious. Its forces them to try and orbit the roundabout on the outside lane of it, while expecting cars to yield to them from the left. You cannot entirely blame drivers for a totally counterintuitive design that goes against every rule they've ever learned. Its a disgrace.

I can't believe I agree with Larbre about something... it's a **** design that creates conflict and endangers cyclists.

• Advertisement

Oh it definitely is, but The cyclist in the video was ahead of the driver there. That's **** driving.

And he's not using his indicators, so even if you've been watching them, you can't blame design for the second truck driver being the cause there

Yes you're correct, but consider this.

For a lorry, the nearside quarter is a blindspot from much farther than you'd expect. And, the lorry driver wouldn't in a million years have been expecting a cyclist to be heading for a far-side exit while outside of him.

Yes, there is careless driving on the part of the truck, but the design of the roundabout placed our man in a more vulnerable position in the first in place.

The cyclist is in front the lorry for quite a bit of the video. They merge on the road ahead of them and they stay ahead of them.

Stop making excuses for piss poor driving.

If they have a blind spot, all the more reason for signalling correctly. Bad design didn't cause that problem there. It made it worse, but the first issue first and foremost there is bad driving

I've no idea whether the cyclist was signalling and don't wish to assume they weren't but had it been me on that roundabout, my arm would have been obviously outstretched to indicate my intentions. Now that doesn't stop a prick driver barging through which may have been the case here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

He says in his subtitles that he signalled, and you can just about see him move his right hand.

Piss poor driving and piss poor infrastructure aren’t mutually exclusive. He was also dumped out onto the roundabout from the off road cycle track right at the exit, one exit earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭ARX

The lower design is not allowed in Germany, as it is known to be dangerous:

"Cycle lanes at the peripheral margin of the circle are not allowed since they have proven to be very dangerous to cyclists".

https://www.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/verkehrswesen/download/literatur/Brilon_roundabouts_2011_05_29_cit.pdf

Indeed. However in Ireland, its mandated as best design practice. How wonderful.

I know ye are sick of me as a broken record on this stuff, but after it all, I DO cycle regularly, my family does too and I care more than anything about our safety. What I hate about how infrastructure for cycling is developed in this country, is how inconsistent the designs are, how dangerous much of that design is (including drainage camber, manhole covers, upright obstacles etc) and how lacking in ambition the contiguous and segregated routes are.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭ARX

It's not just cycle infrastructure. Irish transport infrastructure is pervaded by a ah-f##k-it-that'll-do-I-don't-care ethos.

For example, this sign near Kilcock where the names of two significant towns are misspelled: https://www.broadsheet.ie/2012/10/25/meanwhile-outside-kilcock-co-kildare/ (I haven't been that way for a few years, it may have been replaced, but it was there for many years).

Or this one in Clonsilla where they spelled 'Mulhuddart' as 'Muldhuddart':

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3827655,-6.4049631,3a,15y,53.06h,92.07t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sSTEODdWlUpE9F2Oe3xW-kw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Mulhuddart is a large suburb, it's not some backwater that nobody's ever heard of.

There is no excuse for this. It can't be blamed on the large amount of road we have per head of population, or the climate, or the Catholic church, or the British.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Economics101

Has anyone noticed the roadworks on the Grange Road, Rathfarnham? They have been going on since about May/June and virtually no progress is being made over the last 2 months. The general idea is to improve things for cyclists. However on one place the footpath has been widened and the existing cycle lane narrowed (near Loreto Beaufort School). A deliberate creation of a cyclist killing-zone in my opinion. As part of the same project there is a half-completed attempt to divert a cycle lane inside a new traffic island at which there will be a bus stop. I can't see many cyclists making the appropriate sharp diversion inside the island.

Further up Grange Road, beyond the entrance to St Enda's SDCC a few years ago widened the footpaths on both sides of the road, just after the existing cycle lanes ended. They could have easily accommodated a cycle lane in the Southbound (uphill) direction, but for some reason created a danger to cyclists instead.

I'm generally no fan of the more militant cyclists, but the sheer incompetence of SDCC's road engineers is really annoying. The same people have also produced a truly wonderful traffic-jam-creating roundabout in the Knocklyon area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Yes works on the Grange road have been painfully slow, not sure what is holding them up.

BTW the only people who are creating traffic jams in Knocklyon are the ones in their cars 😉

I know you are joking a little, but the Knocklyon roundabout is a jam-creator, (a) because it has been narrowed to only one lane and (b) because the entrances and exits now require very sharp turns which slow everything down (more than is necessary for safety in my opinion). Moreover this is on a road giving access to the M50.

There is nothing more wasteful or carbon-emitting than a queue of jammed cars waiting to negotiate an artificially contrived bottleneck. All of this was created in the name of some enhanced cycleway, and I see very few cyclists in the area.

All of this was created in the name of some enhanced cycleway, and I see very few cyclists in the area.

Thats because you're stuck in traffic and they are cycling past 😉

What's more wasteful and carbon-emitting is a row of cars moving without a bottleneck, because there'll be more of them due to induced demand.

You know what's not wasteful or carbon-emitting? Users of an enhanced cycleway! 😀

Yours, an apparently militant cyclist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Nah. Most of us stay in the traffic lane as that roundabout is horrible to negotiate if you stay in the cycle lane.

My original post (#3171) was in large measure a complaint about badly-designed and even dangerous provision for cyclists. Bad design can lead to congestion and risky situations for everyone, motorists and cyclists. I see that the conversation has now turned into some kind of anti-car thing. A huge amount of travel in Dublin is by car because of (a) bad public transport, (b) the need to carry home a lot of shopping, (c). long or awkward journeys which are virtually impossible by bus, bicycle or walking and (d) the increasing number of seniors who in many cases are not into cycling or long-distance walking. Motorists don't drive just for the hell of it.

I almost regret drawing attention to cyclist-unfriendly roadworks!

And that's why I didn't disagree with your original post. :) However, the logical fallacy that a bottleneck creates 'traffic' and therefore creates pollution needs to be shot down. People driving creates pollution (and traffic), and bottlenecks discourage people from driving - or lack of bottlenecks encourage people to drive, rather than cycle or walk. Nobody is saying all journeys must be by car, just more than currently. And surprisingly, you can carry shopping on your bike!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

and e) laziness and f)comfort and isolation

I would never dream of suggesting there are not multiple valid reasons for driving. But I also absolutely refute any suggestion that all motorists have significant barriers to using other forms of travel. Considering the amount of trips of <2km and <5km conducted by car, it is clear that many motorists do, in fact, drive just for the hell of it.

The oft trotted out trope is that cycle infrastructure causes "havok" for those who must drive. The reality is that those who don't have to drive but choose to is causing havok for those who must drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Honestly, I'm not joking. I use that roundabout almost daily, be it walking, cycling or in the car and the only thing creating the so called jam is the motorists. The roundabout used to have have 2 lanes on approach, but the actual throughput was only 1 vehicle at a time therefore the capacity has remained unchanged. It's far safer from a vulnerable road user perspective now, traffic has to slow down to an appropriate speed given it is a high density area with a large secondary and primary school nearby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Dowee

I'm pretty sure at the time it was being built (and causing a lot of angst amongst locals) that the SDCC specifically stated that two of the intended purposes or the roundabout were to slow cars down in the area and to make driving a less attractive option, while encouraging cycling. As a resident of Knocklyon I can assure you that the cause of traffic jams in the area is due to huge amount of wholely unncessary journeys taken by people, for school drop offs, to GAA and other sport training, to Super Valu etc, not any cycleway or roundabout.

The "enhanced cycleway" is poorly designed in my opinion as it is a shared pedestrian and cyclist space and forces those on bikes to become pedestrians and cross at the pedestrian lights at junctions. So it is not surprising that many (including myself on many occasions) choose not to use it.

Advertisement