Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Youtubers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭tommybrees

Same as myself, it's very repetitive stuff isn't it. Same with grassmen, no doubt the pandemic has played a big part in it though.

Can't be easy coming up with new stuff all the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

You don’t need to be married to the farm it’s all down to the choices you make

I’ve a friend over the road milking nice bit over 200 in a share farming agreement, he has about 8-10 days off a month

he has a great set up going and has a lot more time off than me

you really need to question yourself before making any machinery investment nowadays, only for I’ve dad here and a lot of it is machinery was built up over his farming career I’d do v little. We’re considering buying a 2nd hand slurry tank here and dribble bar but it finding it hard to justify

thats why I’d question Adrian buying that krone mower, he says he’s always flat out and then takes on another job and investment that will never pay for itself

don’t mind the rest of the gear he changed as they were all upgrades. The Massey is probably too big for what he’s at too tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭straight

Well, you have Ifarm at one end of the scale and MC milking it at the other. He doesn't even own a fertiliser spreader and had to take a few weeks off farming because he got a tip in the head.

I think if you have cows you're pretty much married to the place if you want to do it right. You're example of the share milking sounds ideal until it all goes wrong and you are left with a big mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Jim Simmental

I can’t understand why he bought such a high HP tractor - and only using a 9 foot mower on it. Surly a 100HP tractor would work it easily.

hard to know about the 2000 Gallon slurry tanker he has too, with the pipe system so convenient

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

With the way slurry spreading is going towards LESSE then it is becoming more of a contractor job. Is I Farm not under the cut-off for LESSE anyway?

I thought the Massey was bigger than 140hp to be fair. Anyone around here shifting a 2000G tanker would be using that size of tractor and more. He has a few slopes about his place so better looking at the horses than looking for them (and the weight) plus when buying second hand, you buy what the market has to offer. At the minute the higher hp tractor are better value than the lower ones around the 100hp mark. I know this as we spoke to a dealer about sourcing us one earlier in the season and we were told that bigger ones are coming in better value than the smaller ones. Prices shot up and we didn't bother in the end though.

It is interesting to view all the different farm machinery strategies - MC Milking It is very sparse on the machinery side and I Farm is exceptionally well resourced.

I appreciate the way I Farm presents his farm and he seems to have a bit of a gra for machinery and field work, so we all have our own ways of going mad. I'm not really sure if he puts in significantly more hours than others, but he does seem to be tipping about pretty much every day at something. I'd say a farm in that condition and the way he runs it would tick over nicely. Not like he is trying to work boggy ground or use insufficient handling equipment. A relief milker used a bit more often for down time would do him good. Some people just don't like going away and would rather work away on the farm - he might be one of them, and if the family are happy then why not.

Dairy seems to be very hefty commitment and not one that I'd be cut out for. Fair play to those that do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Just watching gerry6420, he doesn't seem to get the view numbers the other popular 2 lads in eire get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

Gerry was growing fast last year but someone reported him to the CoCo for allegedly spreading slurry in a storm and he said he nearly packed the videos in then. I think his heart went out of it a bit and quantity of videos dropped off for a while. He's back putting more regular videos out again. They're very tidy machinery work.

It looks to me like IFarmWeFarm has become a machinery nut to drive views of the channel. Look what he had when he started. 1 tractor and an 1100 gallon tanker and few bits like bale shear, mast shear grab, and not much else. he was dead set against a loader until he got one too. He's bought more in the last 12 months than the previous 12 years I'd say by the way he talks about it

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭farmerphil135

Bit of a though one that. Could of got by a violation if it was showing halal under religious freedom but there’s a lot of stuff on YouTube that’ll fly under the radar. I had a video of sowing held for a violation, I appealed it and the reasoning I got was the ai scanning videos isn’t perfect.

It can be though at times, especially if we’re doing something on camera his way which I don’t agree with but feel like I have to defend how he does it to the audience and then I get the **** comments about how it was done.

in college we were told if your dad isn’t in his 60s don’t go home to farm.😂

• Advertisement

You plug it in and out as it’s needed but it’s of no advantage to spreading at night how it came out of the factory. Needs a 2nd light so you can have both facing either way and needs to be powered from the trailer socket with a switch that could be left into the cab. So you can make use of it while dribbling without having to buy a double adapter

The reason for not mentioning the brand and the reason you’ll rarely ever hear “us” say anything negative about a brand or product is if said brand took a real disliking to “us” they could go after “us” for defamation.

after a livestream we done for 10k or 20k subs my father got a phone call from a tractor dealer where he hurled abuse at my father because he had lost a sale on a 2nd hand Massey because during the live stream someone asked about said model of Massey and my father explained why they gave trouble and it convinced someone not to buy.

ever since then my father won’t say a bad word about anything it’s either alright or it’s great.

I’ve often wondered whether he did that or not. I remember when he posted about not showing his new tractor. I went to his last video and could hardly find a negative comment under it. To me it does make sense to delete the more negative kind of comments to protect his young girls mental well-being but I can’t see the reasoning behind deleting comments pointing out the small things.

Thanks - I've got 2 pointing outwards wire into junction box underneath tanker going to a cobo socket on the front of tanker and a removable cable to connect into cab with an inline switch just before the cobo in the cab - plugging in and out frequently will only wreak the socket imo.

@farmerphil135 - you were talking about a museum recently. In relation the the farm shop, do you get much footfall into the yard for purchases?

Did you consider or are you considering opening a farm shop in a village or placing some produce on a shelf in a shop in one of the bigger nearby towns?

At the start no it was quite if we had 2 or 3 people in a week it was a good week. During the summer tho it was much better especially august where we had people everyday vast majority being people on holidays passing by. We expected it to quite down after the summer holidays but it hasn’t. I think last week we had 20ish come to the shop.

no we never considered opening in a town or village. I’ve talked to someone who tried setting up a farm shop in a town and she had to pack it in council rates and rent were too much. We’ve no intentions of trying to get shelf space in a shop as we don’t have the throughput of fresh beef to do it. We only have fresh beef every other week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭straight

You could just change the adaptor to one of the single pole ones. That's what I intend doing for the lights. DIN plug it's called I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭tanko

Has any brand or manufacturer gone after anyone for defamation in court, this sounds ridiculous to me. I’d say they wouldn’t have a leg to stand on.

Are they happy to get the stuff and go or do they expect tours of the farm or you/father to perform for them etc? Would a form of Open Farm interest you alongside the shop and museum?

In the agri world not that I’m aware of but other YouTubers in other genres yes. Id rather be safe than sorry for the sake of it.

• Advertisement

Most are but the odd few want to have a look. We don’t mind too much when they’ve spent a few euros on meat and merch.

maybe in the future but not anytime soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

do you ever get a sore back from all the tractor work Phil? Longest I’d be in a tractor would be a bales in the summer. I do like going at it and do like when I finish 😂

or tired if doing a lot of field work like power harrowing, where they’d slow progress? Or do you just power on and get used to it?

a few times I’d have to drop the head and shut the eyes but 5 min would have me tight as rain again

no tho I’ve tanked slurry down many’s a lane that’s leave more than your back sore😂

sometimes you’d feel a bit🙄 but I’d stick on YouTube or Netflix or have a good sing song and plough on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Just came across mc milking it, seems to milk a lot of cows.what county is he in?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

That is not true at all. Plenty of people on youtube do reviews of products and they also give negative reviews. Why do these people not fear being sued for defamation.

Youtube channels are a money making source, that is all. It's not about sharing knowledge or how things are done, it's about getting the most you can out of it. The reason negative reviews aren't given is because once a manufacturer knows there's a risk of having a negative review they'll never send free stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭roosterman71

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭Odelay

I don't agree with this. Those plenty of people on youtube giving negative reviews may be in America where there are different rules. Have you seen American advertising where one brand openly gives a negative review on another brands product? You don't see that happening on Irish television for a good reason.

Also, the risk of litigation is just far too much of a risk in Ireland. While you may give a negative review and be right, the cost of defending such a case could cost hundreds of thousands against a big name manufacturer, it is just not worth the risk.

If you think it is so easy to give negative reviews, you might consider trying it yourself. Who knows, you might have your own "money making source". Post the link t it here, I'd be interested in viewing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Tipp . His videos are good. No waffle or product plugging.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭einn32

Western Truck and Tractor Repair in California constantly slates Kubota. He gave an awful review of a reman engine done by John Deere. Showed the entire test drive and the engine failing. I had wondered how he never got brought up on it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Farming life at la Forge have a good clip up of an agricultural show in France.

Few Irish machinery firms represented there too.

Advertisement