Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GTA Trilogy Remaster: GTA III, Vice City and San Andreas

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

60 dollars on us psn store, about 51 euro in conversion. Wonder if any other stores will have it cheaper. No MP or dlc so shouldn't be anything to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

First day purchase for me, can't wait to run around as Tommy again. Would prefer a physical PS5 copy but this will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Putting one game (basically) free on each platform means it'll be 60 quid just for 2 games. Makes it a bit harder to justify funnily enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

With a weapon wheel.

Stupid little things like this - that's all I wanted. This collection is a lot more than I was expecting. I was expecting subtle lighting improvements, 4K textures and 60fps. This seems to be all of that and then some.

I just hope that the differences between the current-gen and previous-gen versions are few and far between. I hope that the games I saw on that trailer look like that on an Xbox One/PS4.

It looks better than I expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Playstation Now isn't free through and it's not hugely popular. Xbox definitely getting the better deal here though with SA as GTA3 doesn't hold up wonderfully despite how revolutionary it was at the time.

Gamepass is actually more expensive than PS Now. :P I'm only on the Xbox and everyone I know has Gamepass, so I was going based on that, may well have been incorrectly. But I'd imagine that a huge proportion of the people who have a console and would be willing to pay 60 quid for the trilogy would have Gamepass, and a lot would have PS Now.

Also maybe the upgrade will make a bigger difference to III than to SA? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I get there's only so much they can shine it up, but the cutscenes in particular look a bit Grand Theft Pixar

• Advertisement

It holds up fine *stubborn face, arms folded*

2nd favourite game of all time for me 😂

I think I read earlier this year that there were around 3m Playstation Now subscribers compared to 50m Playstation Plus subscribers.

Holding my hands up here, I had no idea the cost of Gamepass but San Andreas is definitely a sweeter offering if you had both services.

Think you're spot on on the last point alright, it should look proportionally better.

Oh listen, I agree its a classic 😁 One of my favourite. I was probably being mean to it comparing it to Vice City and San Andreas that had deeper storylines, better voice acting and a more engaging protagonist. It's still a seminal classic that I'll be replaying and I can't wait 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Looks pretty good tbh, they already said they were going to keep the classic look but with upgraded visuals - so the cartoony look is fairly expected I think, and suits this trilogy moreso given that they didn't go the more realistic route until GTA IV/V.

This trilogy has alot of nostalgic value for me, so I'll probably pick this up if the reviews are decent and it still plays well. I had the old ports on PS4 from ages ago, so I downloaded GTA 3 again for the craic the other week, and by god it handles absolutely shocking. So these quality of life improvements they mention with the controls etc. are all essential, and should make the remasters an enjoyable experience hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

yep buying that, also its Unreal engine, one of the most easily modded game engines in the world.

Most games launch as a server anyway regardless if it contains multiplayer or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Character models are very Fortnite-y. They look flat and made out of playdoh.

Look at Salvatore's arm in the update. Weird.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I love how it looks. The cartoony look really suits and it pares great with the low poly look of the original. Surprised the amount of work they put into this. Weather and atmospheric effects look great.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Can't wait for this and out way sooner than I imagined. I own all three already but the controls really let them down compared to modern games which always stops me from doing a full playthrough so updated controls will help a lot. I usually just drive around or run about and cause havoc and play the odd mission when I boot them up from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Couldn’t be happier with that trailer and the QOL improvements are exactly what was needed too. I’d already planned to buy this on day 1 but that short trailer has surpassed my expectations for this, I just hope the soundtracks are as close to the originals as possible, as others have said it’s just a matter of money to get that done and Rockstar certainly aren’t short.

Oddly enough, I haven’t been this excited for a new release in a few years, and it’s not even a new release. There are few things in the world more powerful than nostalgia. 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I have to say that looks pretty great. I always think the greatest remasters should be as you remember them. Not how they literally were, but in that way that your brain filters out the jaggies and general jankiness. I always point to Day of the Tentacle as an example of this and conversely Monkey Island, with its reimagined graphics, as how not to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Looking better than I expected tbf.

Environments and lighting in particular looking really impressive compared to the originals.

One thing that stood out to me was the pcj600 motorcycle from vice City seems to be missing its brake light, probably just a wrinkle that will be ironed out that only appears in the trailer. Rockstar could probably do with improving their QA/QC on their trailers (GTAV double chairs anyone?)

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,003 ✭✭✭endainoz

Seen as they are on about gta5 controls, a nice feature would be to be able to swap between games quickly like you can swap with the three main characters of gta5. The trailer looks pretty nice alright, debatable if it's worth the price quoted but still might treat myself to it. Looks like the leaker was pretty much bang on about it, bar the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I sure can't wait to spend GTA$100k buying Sweet's shitbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Like earlier mentions, i was not expecting the difference in graphics and i actually like the new cartoony look, actually fits the games. I know they say gta v like controls but i really want to know either from anyone who has hands on what it feels like. If it is actually like V effort camera controls and aiming, this could be a very special collection.

Also, instant restarting a mission is a big bonus.

I've been going around Twitter like a white knight trying to fend off haters for this trilogy.

I honestly don't know where their minds are at, ripping on this.

Am I just the typical 30+ year-old gamer who just loves everything that's put in from of him now?

What is it about younger generations of gamers that make them so downright unapologetic in their vitriol against certain games, particularly this trilogy's aesthetic?

The games looked cartoony from the beginning, this is a remaster of those games, so naturally they should retain that cartoonish feel.

I don't see anything wrong with it. I've seen people tear it apart calling it a lazy upscale job and others saying it looks like Life Is Strange...... Those games look good as well, though!

I'd describe the graphics as looking like how I thought I remembered the game looking.

Does a soundtrack really have the same significance now though?

Playing these at the time, its pre internet and YouTube so we didnt really have access to the music unless we physically owned it on CD, so you'd invest more time listening to it.

I think that was most of the lure to be honest. Not to say it wasnt good at the time, but I wouldn't call it a deal breaker when the music can be accessed in a click now.

Ah of course it does. The soundtrack is hugely significant to any game. It's not about access to music, it's about the ambience it creates when playing. I wouldn't say it's a deal breaker but I would say it's a huge part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,366 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Original Soundtrack is a big must for me. Especially for Vice City. The music made that game for the most part, Let’s be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,003 ✭✭✭endainoz

Agreed on the soundtrack, it's a huge part of it. Vice city was the first game I can remember to have such a massive licenced soundtrack. Also as was said earlier I do really hope the retain the c64 intro in full. It was the perfect way to be transported into the 80s.

Regarding the negativity it's been getting, it's best ignored imo. Rockstar would have gotten abuse no matter what they released. Took one look at the comments on their IG post and closed it immediately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

Expect some content changes lads. If the confederate flag was changed on Phil's top, I can only imagine what's happened to some of the radio chat/ads...

Advertisement