Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible to appeal a thread being deleted?

Options
  • 23-10-2021 2:29am

.ie/discussion/2058214361/do-all-romanian-chicks-look-the-same-or-what

Deleted from AH by "Sepheroth Dude" at about 2:20 am on the 23rd.

Discussing an area of european culture I find interesting, reflected additionally in their music culture.

It may be unusual but must conversation in AH really be limited to discussing scenes from "Fr Ted" or "Glenroe"?

Apparently it's off limits to even second guess a moderators decision but, it's after hours, it was a legit topic of discussion I enjoy and am interested in, other members were participating.

And additionally my account was served with a warning, for even posting it?

Really?

Is freedom of discussion on boards really becoming that limited now?

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

You need to discuss this with @Sephiroth_dude or the other AH mods.

But I'd hazard a guess it was started by a troll, and it's standard practice there to nuke the thread entire so as to not give them the attention they crave.

I started the thread, and no it wasn't a "troll thread", but worded in such a way as to be after-hours suitable.

Attempting to discuss this with AH moderators would result in a simple "don't second guess us, and no!!" response, which is why I'm attempting to appeal to more site wide moderators or administrators to correct this decision.

Beasty?

Niamh?

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 34,930 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Is this the thread where every second word you posted was 'chicks'?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

There's still a process to follow with a complaint about a mods actions. First step is to talk to the mod, and if you're not happy with their response, you can escalate it to the Social&Fun category mods to review.

I saw that Thread, and I reckon if it was Lithuanian/Latvian/Polish "chicks" that you were talking about, you would most likely have been on 'Terra Cotta' , but, because of the Nationality concerned , and its being (rightly or wrongly) associated with a certain 'ethnic minority' , that your Thread got the chop... Bad luck OP 😴 That's how it has always been on Boards... Don't know how long it lasted (think it was started late last night) , but would likely have been culled in 20 minutes if it was started earlier in the day...

• Advertisement

Alright messaged this "Sepheroth Dude", awaiting a reply.

Do I screen shot that conversation and post it in here?

Do not post the contents of personal messages without the express permission of the other party.

If Sephiroth_dude is unresponsive, then PM the cmods for Social&Fun to check into it.

Alright, I have my response.

Pretty much verbatim what I expected.

This new website layout doesn't provide links to category mods (or any mods).

Escalating to relevant category moderators, whom should I contact plz?

(I have little doubt they'll have predetermined opinions via Sepheroth-Dude and their response is likely to be consistent with his);

But this is the procedure, right?

The cmods are @ancapailldorcha and @Pawwed Rig

And yes, the lack of mods and cmods being displayed is very annoying.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Yeah the thread was a poor one and the constant references to chicks and the generalisation about a whole population of people was enough to get it closed/deleted imo. Mod is correct here.

• Advertisement

Can I escalate this further?

When speaking about a culture, in a sense you're speaking about the collective personality of an entire nation; it's kind of difficult not to generalize.

"Chicks"..... this may be the sticking points.

If the reference was "birds" or something more Irish (which I see in AH all the time) perhaps it would have been less of an issue.

But this is AH, not "politically correct terminology R Us", the entire purpose is meaningful discussion with light hearted over tones.

Point being, AH endorses historical Irish 'ism's, and outside of those the terminology is poorly tolerated.

With all respect, Ireland needs to start making moves toward being more integrative for functional long term diversity (culturally, I mean), and that's the direction we need to go (and are going, like it or not).

With all that being said, can I escalate this decision further? @Beasty @Boards.ie: Niamh ?

Again I must stress my personal investment in exploring matters of culture (and from a research perspective, resultant implications on physiology).

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

You can escalate it to Admin

I fully support the mod decision and CMod review

Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement