Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭abff

That’s the one I saw where we were shown as moving down to 51st.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Surprisingly to me it is not even near Ireland's lowest ranking. Ireland was at it was 70th in 2014 (I looked it up)

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/ireland-remain-70th-in-fifa-rankings-1.1869445

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

ST holder presale on Thursday.

Public sale next Tuesday.

COYBIG

#callumrobinsontherealCR7

It will hardly sell out will it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Hourihane taken off after 39 minutes for Sheffield United and he didn't look injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Post edited by sugarman on

• Advertisement

Post edited by sugarman on

Jesus, that is a howler alright. What was he thinking?

he’ll be alright, having a difficult patch but he’s only a kid. He got beaten by a shot from his own half for Rochdale last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

He is young lad he make few more mistakes.

Once he learns from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

I'd say it will.

Even thought we can't qualify, Ronaldo will be a massive draw.

There will be loads of the prawn sandwich brigade wanting to go to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

All the talk is around whether it should be Bazunu or Kelleher while Travers seems to be relegated to third choice amongst the young keepers. Feel sorry for the lad that he's often left out of debates about who should be starting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I don't think Kenny necessarily has Travers as third choice. I would say he is second. Bazunu is having a bad patch at the moment but still likely to start against Portugal.

If Kelleher starts getting more starts for Liverpool then he may leapfrog them both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Raoul

To be fair, Kenny always mentions him. Travers had a chance to get the number 1 spot but he had a stinker against Serbia. Bazunu stepped up and took his chance. At that point Bazunu was choice number 3. Kellegher was 1.

So who knows how it will all turn out.

Nice problem to have anyway. Wish we had the same 'problem' in midfield and up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,775 ✭✭✭eire4

It really is remarkable how much quality and depth we have in goal and will have for a long time considering the young age of all 3 lads. It is even more remarkable and in such stark contrast with the lack of quality never mind any depth in the rest of the squad particularly up front and in midfield.

There's also the potential that Dan Rose could make that four good keepers to choose from. The first non German youth keeper to sign for Schalke who have developed two of Germany's greatest keepers. Don't think they'd have went out of their way of bringing him in if they didn't feel he can become a quality player

I'd say Kenny would give his left nut to have that issue in midfield and/or up front. The lack of depth is a serious issue, and we badly need some of these younger lads to start kicking on at club level. Jason Knight is probably the one guy standing out and move to a better club can see him kick on some more.

Molumby gets his first start of the season, really needs to take this chance.

Mowatt isn't even on the bench so a great chance for Molumby to really impress. Will Hondermarck starts his first game for Barnsley and actually has played more minutes in midfield than Molumby this season. There's chances there for some lads to catch Kenny's eye before March's friendlies and the nation league begins.

One lad quietly tipping away doing his thing is Thomas O'Connor at Burton in League One. Has scored three goals in his last two games and two of those goals have been directly from corners. Left footed, versitile, and a set piece taker. Hopefully he can push on as apart from Luca O'Connell I can't think of any other left footed midfielders we've got.

Goal for Jack Taylor.

Only scores screamers. William Hondermarck started the night at RCB for Barnsley and has now been moved into the centre of defence. Robinson got the assist for West Brom who haven't been decent. Swansea have 70 plus percent possession so not a lot of ball for Molumby to try impress with but more chasing after balls.

• Advertisement

I watched the West Brom match. Wish I could get those two hours of my life back, it was terrible.

Robinson got 57 minutes, assisted their only goal, but barely saw the ball after. The service to him was atrocious though.

Molumby got to 80 minutes and had his typical high energy game. Like Robinson, he barely saw the ball and when he did, a lot of his passes were misplaced. Livermore got himself suspended for their game on Saturday, so Molumby should get another crack, hopefully he shows more next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

They seem to have gotten it right. Ireland in 51st in the official rankings released yesterday.

Looking at the teams around us there is very little in terms of points between 45th -> 51st although we'd see ourselves as better than quite a few of those teams (especially Qatar in 46th)

Idah and Omobamidele both on the bench for the early PL game. Mark McGuinness starts and Bagan has picked up a knock and misses out. Cardiff have lost their last seven games and haven't scored in four while conceding ten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Omo on for 20mins, 5 down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Omobamdiele on for Norwich following Ben Gibson's red card. He should start now for Norwich against Leeds next weekend. He should be certainly pushing to be a regular there considering they've just shipped 5 at Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Mick McCarthy bad run continues

Finished 7-0. Pity it wasn't a straight red and give him a few games in the team. At times you think is it for the better he doesn't start given how **** Norwich are when they're promoted.

Good to see Nathan Collins and Kilkenny keep their places and Ebosele get a start for Derby. Michael Obafemi back on the bench after his injury. At this stage it's probably best he doesn't play international football given his injuries.

Bazunu still starting for Portsmouth which is good but MK Dons keep the same XI from last week. Hopefully Kioso can get on the score sheet again with Parrott on the bench.

The sack has to be coming at this stage. Eight straight defeats and five games without scoring. They were robbbed with the first goal as that was never a penalty against McGuinness.

I know Cardiff seemed fucked given they couldn't invest in the summer after losing players, but they'd have excepted Mick to work some magic like he did with Ipswich when he kept them up. They can slid into the bottom three depending on results this evening.

Mick gets the sack and with that there's not one Irish manager managing in the top four divisions of England now. If you include Scotland there's two managers, Jim Goodwin and some lad down in Scottish League 2.

• Advertisement

Molumby is having a stormer. Called “sensational” and “that man again” by the ifollow commentators who are biased towards WBA.

great news.

in terms of mick getting sacked. He had to go but their squad looks very very average.

Unfortunately for Callum Robinson his replacement has scored both goals.

McClean scores again for Wigan. Enjoying life down in League One and the drop in division has seen his performances for us improve too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭deisedude

Sounds like Gavin Kilkenny is getting rave reviews for Bournemouth judging from Twitter

Not looking great for Troy Parrott. 2 games in a row on the bench for an average League 1 team

Michael Obafemi scores off the bench and assisted by Manning.

Duffy benched for Brighton this evening against Man City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,945 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Not confident of picking tickets for the Portugal game

I'll give it a shot, no way would I pay €120 each for premium level

• Advertisement

Molumby and Kilkenny having good games today again which is good to see.

To be fair the game has passed Mick by a little bit. No shame in that he was a ok manager in his day, but the reaction by some when he left was also amusing looking back at now.

he was bringing Ireland nowhere and thankfully many of us saw that long time ago.

In fairness to him he was motivated NOT to bring the team anywhere due to the ridiculous nature of his contract. He really had to play the proven guys rather than take a risk on younger players.

Always liked MM since his playing days. Was a good championship manager for a long time too. It is hard to see where he can go from here though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

McCarthy's appointment at Cardiff was always a strange one tbh. A bit like Hughton the constant promotion/relegation cycle burned him out years ago. It's easily forgotten now but he was a stickler for playing decent football during his early years in management.

• Advertisement

Manning played a great ball, but Obafemi only needed three touches, one to control, one to setup, one to score. Not bad for a pass that came from his own half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I recall McCarthy bringing Ireland to a play-off, and giving Denmark a run for their money for the final automatic spot. The McCarthy critics seem to be oblivious to the fact we're presently led by a coach with a a worse record than Staunton, who has us battling next month to avoid the indignity of finishing below Luxembourg in a campaign that was finished at the halfway stage.

For the millionth time Mick didn't get us to any playoff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

This appears to be a mental block for Mick fanboys.

I am sick of telling people this. I like MM but he failed in his 2nd term as manager. His job was to qualify. We didn't. End of story.

If Ireland had lost every single game under MM 10 - 0 we still would have got that playoff.

A campaign where we had 3 chances to qualify and he was in charge of two of them. We got a playoff from our seeding and would have taken something drastic to not have us in plsyoffs.

We scored 3 goals in two games v Gibraltar and 1 in two games v mighty Georgia.

Please.

Hopefully the lad can keep himself fit and start getting some minutes on the pitch consistently. I fear though we wont see the best of Obafemi because of it given his fitness issues this early in his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Is there more to Obafemi not getting called up asides from all the injury issues he's had? I remember him not being named in Kenny's first squad and subsequently withdrawing from the U21. I'd love to see him back in the squad. His pace is phenomenal. There's very little reason why Idah or Parrott should be ahead of him.

Injuries and a bit or arrogance I think. Hopefully he can do something for himself with Swansea. I would love to see him back in the Ireland team.

Is Parrott dropped by MK Dons? Another one who is his own worst enemy.

We were 4-3-3 in those first squads and Obafemi played under Kenny with the U21s and was poor.

Parrott or Idah are not keeping him out of the squad. Obafemi isn't competing with them as they're different types of forwards. They're more link up players who'll try and hold the ball up and bring others into the game while Obafemi from that clip you want playing on the shoulder of the defenders to use his pace. You'd play him up front with someone like Idah.

Robinson, Connolly, and Collins would be ahead of Obafemi in the senior squad. And I think there's a good shout that Connolly shouldn't make the next squad.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement