Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Only if you left it connected to the wall when the car isn't there.

Once it's connected tot he car it's locked in tethered or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭DaveByDavid

Yeah, that's what I mean. So with non-tethered we still have to put the cable away when not in use.

It's why I was siding towards tethered if we could get one with a long enough lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,020 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

if you are buying a normal ev (not a PHEV) then you are probably going to be charging once a week, twice max, taking a cable out of the boot or out of a shed once a week isnt a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Loads of places doing tethered chargers with 5 and 10m leads. Can PM if interested.

• Advertisement

Yeah DM or leave it here if you want - just after some installers/companies that people would recommend. 10m would be ideal I think

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Roger the cabin boy

Some tips from my experience.

1) map out your requirements and study carefully what you have vs what you need.

Read your manuals carefully. Some car chargers provided with the car are all you need. If you have a 32amp type socket nr where you usually charge and demand isn't an issue, you might not need anything at all.

2) Get your meter sorted before you purchase any charger. By sorted, i mean have it changed to suit your new electric demand which may actually mean no change at all.... (Low mileage users for example)

3) Have the meter installed before the charger. On The day, tell the ESB you are fitting a charger and ask them to arrange the meter box accordingly. They do this all the time so know whats needed and its no fuss to do. Ask them to check the fuse rating. You might have a smaller fuse than should be. Most modern houses are good for 80 amps but have a 60amp fuse fitted. The ESB will change it with no bother. (Important for load balancing)

4) Believe nothing anyone tells you. Do your own research.

5) The location of your charger and its cabling are governed by meter/consumer unit location and condition. Only use a charger company who asks detailed questions about your situation and asks for photos of the meters and boards. The final location may be influenced by the discussion. Don't be afraid to ask and challenge.

6) don't rely on your provider to actually be competent at arranging the ESB. Call the ESB to confirm any arrangements made on your behalf.

7) Chargers are unsightly warts stuck on the house with horrendous cables and day-glo switches. Take some time to plan where you want the charger and how it is going to be cabled. (See point 5). Be in and present on the day of installation and talk through the location, routing etc before the installer begins.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Hurley6969

Hi, has anyone been told they need a full rewire to facilitate a charger? The charger installer said we need a tails upgrade. House has not been rewired in last 25 years.

Called for a few quotes and got back that I'll fail a test so won't get certs for ESB to get the tails connection registered.

Because no work was done in so long I'd basically be looking at a full rewire at about 9000.

So that's not a runner at all...

Anyone come across this issue?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

25 years isn't that long for the main household wiring - You probably just need a new Consumer unit with the tails upgrade.

Easiest way to resolve that is to call your electricity provider and ask to be switched to a Day/Night rate unit - Which you'll want anyway for charging the car. Don't get a smart meter though!

From what others have posted in this thread previously this is a no cost swap out and gets you new kit and upgraded connections pretty quickly.

The smart meter was installed a few weeks back so that's not an option in terms of not having it. Why would you not recommend having one?

I say 25 years but that's because the electrician asked that, house is from 70s.

Im with Electric Ireland so you reckon they would arrange the work if I go on a day/night meter?

Edit:

I was on to electric Ireland who couldn't help with the tails connection. Called ESB who said its 169 for them to come out check the cert, connect and sign off on new tails connection but obviously I won't have a cert for them if the electrician deems a rewire essential.

Massive spanner in the works in terms of the purchase of the car, wasn't expecting the costs/effort to be this much

Post edited by Hurley6969 on

• Advertisement

Nothing wrong with Smart meters in and of themselves , it's just that the pricing isn't great to say the least - more expensive per unit across the board than the unit costs for a standard day/night box.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

I ordered an extra CT clamp for the harvi. Hasn't arrived yet but went for a look at the cabinet to see how it was setup and no harvi... installer put it in the meter box outside. Are they allowed do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Dubwat

Hi Guys,

I seem to be a similar situation to some of you. Got a new EV. A charger + installation was included for free. Free as in I pay the installer €600 and claim that back from SEAI so free (eventually) for me.

However the guy who did the survey AND installation spent about 2 hours installing the charger before he decided the meter tails were not thick enough. I suspect his company quoted the job too low to the car company so he refused to upgrade the meter tails between meter and fuse board. I guess it wasn't part of the contract between the car company and the installation company. And then the ESB Networks need to upgrade their part of the tails! ESB Networks have already sent me an invoice for €169! The original installer will only come back once I've sorted the two parts of the meter tails and I need his paperwork for ESB Networks. My head is wrecked trying to sort it out. 3 electricians for 1 charger :(

If I order a day/night meter from Electric Ireland (current supplier), will they upgrade any of the tails? This would speed things up maybe?

Finding it very hard to get an electrician. Have one who may be able to do it in 2 weeks. (anyone know a good electrician in Dub 11/9/7?)

Thanks in advance.

Yeah didn't expect this much hassle to get it installed myself. Im with electric Ireland too, was on to them twice earlier, they were nice but no help really but I didn't mention the day/night meter and they never suggested it. Just said to call an electrician or get on to ESB..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Someone is taking the piss with you.

You take the ev feed from the meter box or the consumer unit. If you are coming from the consumer unit and the feed from the meter box is goosed, I'd hardly think it needs the whole house rewiring to fix it.

Go get a second opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭meercat

To get a mains cable upgraded to 16mm requires a certificate to be sent to esbn by a rec stating the house has been tested and passed all tests. Some older installations won’t pass these tests so a full Rewire will be recommended to ensure the integrity of the installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭thunderbolt

Anyone able to recommend (via DM) a home charger installer in Mayo (Castlebar/Ballina/Foxford area)? Thanks

Right, but the regulations in force are for the time of construction, not time of appraisal.

Otherwise everything has to be updated as the codes change and develop over time.

This is a gross misunderstanding of code.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Go get a second opinion

^^ @Hurley6969 definitely that.

Maybe he is right that you do need a rewire if he has found it to be sub-standard but definitely a second opinion should be sought. Did he actually come out and inspect it to tell you that a complete rewire was required or was that nugget provided over the phone without an onsite visit?

If you do fine a rewire is required you could decide to go with a 16A charge point. That will charge at half the speed but might negate the need for a rewire. Try that option if all else fails.

• Advertisement

Cheers yeah will do, just felt like a kick in the balls earlier. Spent so much time deciding on a car (id3), working out budgets etc and first foray into home chargers and 9k is getting thrown about. Not ideal. But yeah explained the situation over the phone, so that rewire chat was not based on an actual visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Twiki

I'm trying to get a charger installed at the moment and have got surveys/quotes from two fairly prominent EV charger installers.

The first installer said the tails from the meter to the CU were undersized and needed to be upgraded along with an earthing cable. It was for me to sort this out with my own electrician seperately and they would follow up and connect the charger to the CU once the cabling was sorted.

The second installer came, did his survey and said they'd just connect directly to the meter box and that the internal cabling didn't need any changes.

I'm seriously confused at this stage and not sure which option to go with. Second option seems much simpler and cheaper but I'm wary of going with something that might have some disadvantages that I haven't been informed of. Opinions appreciated, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

The second option is perfectly fine. Much less hassle, meets regulations, generally cheaper to do it that way.

Go with it if you are happy with the electrician himself and he is willing to provide a cert and allow you to claim your grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭meercat

Yes your correct.

if the mains is upgraded then a new earth rod and supplementary bonding has to be done as part of this upgrade also

when this is done the house has to be tested and certified

a lot of older houses will not pass these tests and a rewire will be recommended

in my experience the insulation resistance test and resistance of protective conductor are big issues with older installations.

an exhaustive list of notice of potential hazards is also likely

that’s why a rewire will be recommended

Recommended or required?

Big difference between the two and the enforcement of building codes usually allows for that.

There is also no need to come from the consumer unit. You can come from the meter box which should negate the issue completely.

What might be an issue is the CU. If its not fit for purpose, then you'd have to replace that perhaps if you want to come from it, but again, why this would require a downstream change for what is an upsteam modification, i am not convinced.

I'd be getting a electrical engineer in to look at this before doing anything. By engineer, i mean a fully qualified consultant, not some bloke with his name on the side of a van.

So the first installer is just a monkey with a screwdriver who is only following a rigid configuration pathway. You should avoid him.

The second installer seems to at least have some wit and has given you a better solution.

You can come from either the meter box or the CU and mostly, the choice between the two is based on access and asthetics.

As the CU is downstream of the Meter box, sometimes (esp older houses) the CU isn't up to the load addition.

The state of the lads quoting for these things is a disgrace. Absolute amateurism.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,254 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Does anyone know if you've claimed the grant for whatever house you're living in, can you claim again if you move house? I know the grant is by MPRN so is once per household, but is it also once per EV?

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭jprboy

Once per property and also once per applicant according to Condition No 5 of the Ts & Cs:

Only one EV charger may be installed at a property and only one EV Home Charger grant may be received per applicant. The MPRN number associated with the property must not be linked to an EV vehicle grant which was paid by SEAI prior to 2018 and therefore eligible for a free home charger from ESB Ecars in that period. 

From here: Electric Vehicle Home Charger Grant | SEAI

• Registered Users Posts: 11,254 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Thanks, so if for example I was moving house I'd need to do something like transfer the car to my wife to claim the grant for a new house

Seems a bit silly, I get the logic of one grant per house, but people move houses sometimes and it'd be better if not allowing them to claim the grant for a new house seems like they're being punished for something

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 bshaftoe

Is there (or are there) any company/s recommended? Or the opposite, any that is "avoid like the plague"?

Advertisement