Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Just came here to post this, he has to get sorted out, he wants to remain with us, we should be throwing the kitchen sink at him now and give him whatever he wants....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

Said like a Leeds fan in 2001/2002.

No one, not even Mo, should be paid "whatever he wants" unless you crave short term sporting success at the expense of the long term financial sustainability of the club.

There are economic realities which are easy to ignore when you are a fan but history won't reflect well on you (think Ken Bates, Peter Risdale etc) if you almost destroy a club in the financially reckless pursuit of on field success.

Salah should be offered the maximum the club can afford to pay him, not a penny more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,498 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

You're absolutely right, but the rumours that he's looking at around 350k a week make that doable. That's 90m over five years. A decent transfer fee and normal wages make a new player similar overall (I appreciate that's ignoring that we could land a big transfer fee if he were to go)

I'm convinced he'll stay. I think the negotiations are around the structure of his pay, rather than the total. The club will want the base rate as low as possible as that's the headline figure and what other players will try to use as a benchmark. I suspect they'd happily offer him 200k a week with bonuses that effectively double it. Fingers crossed, anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

I love him, I hope its done but saying its out of his hands is a bit disingenuous really. Its not entirely on the club to sort it. I mean if he asked for what Virg is getting the deal would be done by now wouldn't it. He deserves highest earner status though and I hope he gets an offer he's happy with and stays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Similar to the way Gini talked about his contact negotiations but as much as I loved Gini... Salah is so much more valuable to the team and they themselves totally recognize that.

Sign him up, bronze statue as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Of course I mean give him what he wants within our means as a club, I don't think many would argue against it internally...

I think he's a generational superstar up there with the best and if we can hang onto him for his career I will be very happy with that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Salah and his agent could easily have told the club they want £750k a week and are not prepared to negotiate on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,492 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

We'd happily pay 3 players 150k, but not one player the same amount 450k .

Its the same fcking amount, pay the man.

I just don't get it, the total salaries at the club are a certain number, where that money goes means nothing. I don't care if everyone gets a pound a year, and Salah gets 139m a year. It makes no difference to the fact we spend 139m a year on wages.

And you'd want to be a full of yourself twat if players like Keita, or Trent, or Robertson, or Henderson, or Firmino demanded the same as Salah if Salah gets 400k plus. I'd show them the door if they did.

Or £1m a week.

What he wants and what an FSG owned LFC Vs a human rights abusing oil rich country owned club are willing to pay you are different things.

The choice for Salah in a binary situation like that is take the additional money knowing your legacy will be forever tainted or stay true to your personal and professional beliefs and (hopefully) cement your place as a true legend in one of Europe's elite clubs.

At some point along the financial security curve the value of more money diminishes Vs subjective values such as winning trophies, being considered a club legend at one of the greatest clubs in the world and/or one of the greatest players in the X League ever etc etc

• Advertisement

What type of player accepts £1 per year? Perhaps a better way of looking at it is if the club has only €139m to spend on wages and needs a squad of 20 to compete at the highest level, having to sign 19 players on low wages to keep the 1 happy creates a Barcelona-type imbalance. Good as he is, Salah is part of a team, without good players around him, he is a lesser player and Liverpool are a lesser team.

PSG are talking to his agent, we all know that, so is Real, and City. But expecting us to match their so called offers is impossible. Is Salah the type to throw it all away for money, as we know once you leave Liverpool you're a nobody, you're a Coutinho, a Gini, a Can , a Sakho, a Torres, a Owen, you may truly believe you're on to bigger and better things, but history shows you'll just end up a nobody.

Suarez and Alonso are only two I can think of that actually did go on to better things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

I wouldn’t even say Suarez went on to better things…. He had a very successful career after leaving Liverpool but I’m fairly confident had he stayed he could well have won what we’ve won and more!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Owen won the Premier League after leaving Liverpool

Hard to resist playing with Messi and Neymar though, and until the latter left Barca, those three were something to behold. The Barca team he joined was one of the best ever, and he won 4 league titles, 4 domestic cups, a CL and a WC final. Hard to see how he would have achieved that at Liverpool, but like you, I would have loved to have seen him continue in his prime with Klopp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

He’s won the league in 5 of the 7 years since he left, and 4 Copa del reys, along with the champions league, club world cup, super cup etc… hard to see us having done anything close to that, even with him.

Not to mention that his whole life had been leading to Barcelona, where his wife’s family all lived. His journey using football to follow her after she left Uruguay when they were teenagers is one of the few pretty romantic football stories.

Anyway, most likely with Suarez there we’d never have assembled the Mane, Salah, Bobby trio, so really things have worked out alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

I actually didn’t realise he won so many league titles since he left… I thought it was just the two with Barca and one with Atleti. I suppose its true if he did stay we prob wouldn’t have assembled the front line we have now but oh lord how I’d love to see him in this team!

If the wages were right and he was willing to accept a place on the bench, I think it would be brilliant to bring him back for a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Suarez definitely went onto better things when he left us, he's had a brilliant career since and it's unlikely that we would have gotten the front 3 together, so it worked out quite well, even though we had a few difficult seasons after he left.

Not really looking forward to the United game, even though I think we're clearly the better team, for some reason over the last few seasons we haven't beaten them as much as we should have had, even when they were in desperate form they often managed to get a result against us. Would love to give them a good hiding, but, not so much that Ole loses his job, need to keep him there as long as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,111 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

There's some talk that Salah already earns that amount with his current base salary, combined with incentives, bonuses and image rights etc.

I guess he just wants to turn those potential bonuses and incentives into guaranteed salary now instead.

Understandable if he thinks that the club are not going to invest the sums needed to win trophies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Hopefully this won't end up like the Wijnaldum saga, far too much chatter about contracts, will he, won't he, I love the club, it's not in my hands etc etc. Just get the feeling all this kinda stuff should be far more in-house than being in the public eye. The more this drags on the less confident I will be about it happening, it will just get to the case where they couldn't reach an agreement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

This is interesting - is this a case of Robbo contributing less or a change of tactics? Tsimikas was banging the crosses in when he was playing

https://twitter.com/petermckeever/status/1451831444414902274?s=21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

I think there's a much greater chance of Mo staying than Gini. I think after 6 months of negotiations he decided he was leaving but wouldn't publicly admit it.

I think if I was Mo, money spent elsewhere would be as important as spent on him. I'd want assurances the club is moving forward on the pitch.

The club have a reputation of not spending over the last few transfer windows. Last season every man and his dog knew we needed a CB but the club scrimped and almost missed out on champions league. In the summer we lost our most reliable midfielder, an absolute machine and a man for the big game. He was never replaced either and it could cost the club dearly later on.

Mo believes he's the best player in the world, not many would argue with him but all the money in the world won't make up for him playing in a stagnant team that is just qualifying for the champions league each season due to lack of transfer funds.

This has surprised me a lot. There is a massive difference in the number of crosses coming from the right than from the left. Robbo has a good delivery on him, but it just shows how much quality TAA has, as the team is going down his flank a lot more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭jem

day before the big game and nervous . I know liverpool the better team by a distance BUT..

Def need to play henderson on the right in front of trent as that is where they will attack most.

slight worry that we have our top back 4 back playing together and we are conseeding goals that we didnt do prior to the injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭ArtyM

:)

Liverpool could give Salah what he wants, rather than let the clock run down on his contract, but put a 220m pound release clause in there. And if PSG want to trigger it fair enough.

In 14 short months both Mane and Salah can sign else where, clock is ticking.

Mane's contract talk is zero, will be interesting to see what happens there, the man is on Tea Lady wages for years while every man and his dog at the club is on way more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

For all the complaining about not signing Kabak after his loan, his performances at Norwich so far seem to confirm that he has no place in the upper regions of this league. Looks out of his depth, albeit in a really bad side.

At his age Virgil was at Groningen and would not have had a place in the upper regions of this league at that stage of his development. Bad move for Kabak, but I think it was the only one open to him. I actually thought he did ok last year considering what he was thrown into battle without any time to adapt like Ibra is being given.

• Advertisement

Kabak and Phillips did an amazing job to help the club secure a champions league spot.

Now both are at their level one at a lower league club and the other 5th choice at a the club and highly unlikely to play first team football again for Liverpool.

No club not even a midtable or lower even seemed remotely interested in signing Phillips during the summer which is quiet sad really considered what he did in the second half of last season.

I think £350k a week base wage is fair that's £18m a year and then put an incentive of £5m in bonuses for goals, assists and trophies and maybe even a £1m for winning the Ballon d'Or.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Damien360

For all we know he wants the base wage plus the same bonus structure. We couldn’t replace him for less than €100m so it should be looked at like that. Pay him but how to control the rush by everyone else. But, Barca went down this slippery slope with regards to wages and everyone else wanting not quite parity but not too far off and look how they are this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I dunno. Robinson might have less crosses into the box but has a higher percentage of key passes and the same amount of assist from that chart. Unless I’m reading it wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Even without the Stats, you do feel Robbo gets loads of balls in just with a much lower success rate than Trent - at least recently.

How to control the rush by everyone else is exactly the problem. Klopp wants a well balanced dressing room, not one full of cliques and splinters. If you give Salah £400k a week how do you explain to the next best player in the squad that they aren't worth 90% of Salah's wages and so on?

By all means offer the man what the club can afford as he's clearly worth it but don't make a stupid offer which ends up making him happy but disrupting the rest of the squad.

If I or you were good enough to be in the LFC team and working our socks off pressing and making chances for Salah but getting 50% of Salah's wages how do you think that would play out long term?

Barcelona are a good example of getting hooked on an entire team being reliant on one player and when that cycle comes to an end not only are you in debt it'll take years to pay off but you're left with a massively imbalanced squad.

Salah is a smart guy but so are FSG. If Salah wants money only an oil state owned football club can pay then that's his choice, it shouldn't be a bad reflection on FSG.

FWIW I don't think Salah can be arsed going to PSG as they've a mickey mouse league and both Real Madrid and Barcelona are struggling financially so I do think he'll sign a new deal with LFC and the compromise might be that it's a 5 year deal which for a (soon to be) 30 year old is almost unheard of but as we all know Mo is mega fit and really looks after himself so if anyone can follow the Ronaldo model of moving form the wing into a CF role and still being one of the best in the business at 36 it'll be Mo.

I wonder if Klopp is considering starting Gomez instead of Matip tomorrow?

I do expect Man United to sit in deeper defensively tomorrow in a sort of a lobsided diamond in midfield. Matic a more left sided DM to double up with Shaw to negate Salah. McTominay in the middle and Pogba coming in from the right to make up the midfield. Bruno at the tip of that. Then leaving Ronaldo upfront and Rashford in a sort of a cheat position, playing LW and playing solely to get into the space behind TAA.

Matip can be very useful with his ball progressing carries through the lines from CB, and with the lack of pressing from Ronaldo, this could well be a very useful asset to have tomorrow. Especially when I would expect Liverpool to have most of the ball, against a low block. But Gomez has some some good passing and call carrying ability of his own too. And he has looked sharp on the ball in his recent sub appearances. He also has that recovery pace which will be a big addition up against Rashford in that half position on the counter, more so than Matip would have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

He signed a new contract earlier this year 🤔 so I'd imagine you'll be waiting a few more years before you hear any news https://www.spotrac.com/epl/liverpool-fc/sadio-mane-22847/

• Advertisement

That say he is on £100k a week I can't believe that if he signed a new contract earlier this year.

Salah, Mane, Bobby, Naby & Ox up in 2023 according to transfermarkt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Chelsea's 4th goal is exactly the kind of goal for Liverpool gets disallowed tomorrow. Innoculous challenge by a Chelsea player in the lead up, Norwich player screams and goes to ground, ref waves play-on and Chelsea score. Taylor 100% blows up for that if it's a Liverpool counter attack.

Yes I'm wearing my conspiracy hat. 😄

Mike Dean is on VAR for tomorrow as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

I might be massively misguided, but I don't think he's the worst? The amount of times Anthony Taylor - from Manchester and from a family of all Man Utd supporters - has refereed the LFC/Utd games is amazing and really shouldn't be allowed.

Nope, he never signed anything this year. Last contract he signed was in 2018, a 5 year deal, runs out the same time Salah's runs out, June 2023

In 14 months both could sign elsewhere, or 12 Footballing months if, ie not counting next summer.

It's just strange to me the big deal over Salah's contract, and not a mention about Mane's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Your link says he signed his contract 3 years ago and is out of contract in ~18 months.

As for wages, I’m always slow to trust sportrac, they’re very demonstrably wrong fairly often.

• Advertisement

We are being linked heavily with a move in January for 18 year US International striker Ricardo Pepi who seems to be scoring for fun in the MLS and for US Team.

That said he is linked to Munch, Man U and Man City as well.

Been reading about him, if there is a chance of him developing into a player, get him in. But, have you watched any of the MLS? It is dreadful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

if he were doing salah type performances you better believe there would be the same calls for his contract.

Eh he's a vital cog in Machine Salah, as are so many other.s Every senior player is on way way more than Mane. He had a average season last season, but that's looking like a blip, he has been great this season, 5 league goals in 8. And him and Salah look like a team again, wasn't so last season, they're back on same page now.

________Alisson______
    Trent_Matip_VVD_Robertson
    ______Fabinho________
    Hender________Jones
    Salah___Firmino____Mane

Firmino is ''BACK'' ...........coz he poked home 3 tap ins against Watford, into an open goal with no keeper in goal, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm I dunno is that enough evidence.

Jota has 3 goals in little minutes this season, good goals, opening goals. He could start.

• Advertisement
Advertisement