Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA need to step up

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,588 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Haha. That makes us all English in this thread and all responsible

as mcmurphy says , it was an estimate. It was from a study of republican and loyalist prisoners.

it identified how many were involved in the GAA and then extrapolated that across the murders carried out by republicans. Your right, they may only have killed 900 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭irelandrover

You referred to it as a stat. That's short for statistic.

Instead of a discussion about something you might have read, why don't you go away, find the info, and then come back to the thread? That way the thread doesn't descend into nonsense for a few pages.

Also, members of the gaa and involved with the gaa are completely different.

Bit of a sad post there. No responsibility taken.

can you post the sentence where the GAA condemned the dissidents for using their facilities? If you can’t then stop claiming they did. I haven’t looked, but I imagine it wouldn’t take long to find a crystal clear condemnation by the GAA of the British army using their facilities - but that’s different because they don’t like what the army stand for or do. lol.

then you cropped my words to misrepresent me. I said that I’d be shocked if SOME OF THEM were not members. Are you really trying to tell us on here that you would guess none of the terrorists demonstrating in bellaghy grounds that day were members of the GAA - come on now, we are entering sweetie mice territory and every single poster on here knows that.

your third point has some validity, but only if you apply this approach equally to OO etc. You can’t throw this about at ‘the others’ and then get upset when someone holds a mirror up at your community organisations.

some shocking prejudice and naivety on this thread.

No surprises there then. Confirms the whole basis of my argument and the ostrich-type behaviour of many in GAA

• Advertisement

Yes I see I did. I have subsequently agreed with mcmurphy that ‘estimate’ is a more appropriate word, but there is not much wrong with ‘stat’ either. Many stats are based on polls or estimates (I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,346 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

not really.. every single one of your 'threads' is the exact same. Seen one. Seen em all. That's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,578 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

So were these 'murderers' working for the GAA, is that the point you are making? Did they dress in their county colours while on manoeuvers? Whack someone with hurl?

Like the incident that prompted the OP, I am failing to see the responsibility of the GAA here.

Funny stuff actually.

There is a clear attempt to make this thread about the validity of this estimate. If you would like to claim that few if any members of the ira were in the GAA, then make that claim - a bit of humour would lighten the mood. If you think lots of Ira killers were also members of the ira, then don’t chase down a cul de sac of looking for evidence of something you know to be true.

the GAA are not to blame for sectarian terrorists being in their ranks anymore than the OO are. It’s how they manage the situation that is the issue. Do they let them hold them back by letting them name clubs after other terrorists, give prizes to kids that celebrate terrorists, refuse to condemn terrorists of one side using their facilities, not act when their senior teams openly support terrorists, etc,etc. ??

so let’s stay on topic.

You pre-empted my later post. GAA are not responsible for what their members do outside their facilities if not on official GAA business. Same exactly for OO.

And I don’t think it is any more likely that the ira would have worn GAA shirts on active service that the Uvf wearing orange sashes. Hurls - now that’s a whole different story.

I do think the OO is completely responsible if those on parade abuse residents, just the same as the GAA is completely responsible if their county team members shout IRA at young Protestant girls. I would expect both to act decisively and openly.

mis that clear and consistent?

• Advertisement

'The GAA are not responsible' but when your argument begins to fail you throw in some 'stats' for a while and then walk backwards from them later when called out on them? Now you are claiming 'consistency' 😁

No idea what you are saying.

I do not hold the GAA responsible for the historic makeup of their membership or what their members get up to in their own time.

I do hold them responsible for any sectarian attitudes tolerated within the organisation and any activities, meetings, concerts, etc with sectarian overtones. I also hold them responsible when they don’t act against clear sectarian acts whether their teams shouting from buses or minorities feeling intimidated away from participation. They are also responsible for not addressing chill factors to Protestants.

I would apply the same measure to loyal orders, other sports and workplaces, etc. That’s all. Not much to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,345 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

To be fair to them, the GAA did have Rule 21.

And only for that rule, that figure could have been multiples of that

So you have to give them credit for that downcow!!! They kept most of the murders out!

And you are also, by opening this thread, attempting to hold them responsible for something outside their control. And also throwing any old made up muck at them when that original argument falters for lack of credibility, i.e. the mythical 'stats' you threw into the conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Choochtown

Here we go with the "them-uns" crap again.

Please don't refer to "your boys" and "your community" when addressing my posts. I am an individual with my own opinion.

Then you go on to compare the Orange Order with the GAA.

Why?

The Orange Order is a fraternal organisation open only to protestants who should "scrupulously avoid countenancing (by his presence or otherwise) any act or ceremony of Roman Catholic or other non-Reformed Worship; he should, by all lawful means, resist the ascendancy, encroachments, and the extension of their power" (a DIRECT QUOTE from them)

Whereas the GAA is a SPORTING organisation which is "anti-sectarian, anti-racist and committed to the principles of inclusion and diversity at all levels" again a DIRECT QUOTE from the organisation.

Please stay on topic. Can you not for once debate a topic without playing the "my community v your community" card ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

That auld amnesia must be a terrible affliction.

I saw stats that of the the people killed by republican terrorists, it is estimated that over 1,000 were killed by members of the GAA. A far greater figure than the murderers who had membership of the orange order, udr, ruc and British army combined. Your boys have a great pr machine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

I got involved in this thread while not knowing the track record of the OP. I'm leaving this thread now.

He might accuse me of burying my head in the sand as well. My reply to that is that if I need to take my head out of the sand, then he and far too many others like him (on both sides of the divide in the North) need to take their heads out of the last century.

Back on message.

its a pity that the GAA neither locally or nationally could say one word of condemnation about those implicated in the Lyra McKee murder using their facilities.

it is nothing short of shocking!

The GAA has no business involving itself in politics. It doesn't condemn hooded Loyalists running about the streets either, or comment on other events. Didn't you and mark want 'sport' and politics to be separate?

Francie you take such a partisan hypocritical positIon. Are you really saying that the GAA don’t condemn stuff that happens on their facilities that they don’t agree with?? Do you want some links of them condemning stuff?? They don’t condemn stuff republicans do. They condemn lots of other things

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,721 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Another poor attempt by the OP to stir a bit of trouble. He’s not very good at it.

It is noteable.

if this had been a thread about a loyalist paramilitary group making use of a OO or even Irish league football team car park and the hosts refusing to condemn it , it would be approached entirely differently by most posters here, and there is no way the op would be accused of stirring it.

have a wee think about that and give yourselves a wee pinch and say ‘I must try harder to not be prejudiced and hypocritical’

What?

They clearly stated it was an event that they had nothing to do with and shouldn't have happened.

You want sport and politics separate but you want the GAA to engage in political condemnation. And you claim you are consistent? 😁

Probably this thread has run its course now until the next major GAA sectarian faux pas. Don’t think we’ll have to wait too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,584 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

You could not give a toss about Lyra McKee outside of the politics of who killed her.

As Unionism drive further and further up the cul-de-sac created by the stupidity of partition the more they are playing the victim game. Everything is a slight, everything is nationalists getting more than them.

Jamie Bryson is a good example of this, it is all preached from the top of the impossible high moral mound too. Expect plenty more of it.

Francie don’t insult our intelligence. We can all read the letter.

they said it wouldn’t happen and it did happen.

they did not say that it shouldn’t have happened.

and they absolutely have not condemned it , unless you know of another statement.

its obvious to everyone

No idea what this has to do with a thread on paramilitaries using GAA facilities?

• Advertisement

😁 If you say it had nothing to do with you and you didn't give permission how much intelligence is required to work it out that they believe it shouldn't have happened.

It was a lawful parade watched by the PSNI, are you suggesting they should have manned the open carpark and physically prevented the use of it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement