Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,809 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Anyone use One4All cards with Gamestop.ie before? Used last night for psn credit, exact amount on the card and they cancelled it this morning with a refund in process.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Found this on One4All site, dunno if it applies here

Please note that due to the 5th Anti-Money Laundering Directive that took effect on 10th January 2020, there is a maximum limit of €50 per online transaction using anonymous prepaid cards, including the One4all Gift Card. This limit does not apply to Chip & PIN (Gold) gift cards. Please also note that most websites do not accept multiple payment methods.

Probably not as the transaction was put through but is being refunded, @Zero Cool did the transaction show as taken if you checked the balance on the card? Only got one of these a few times from work at Christmas, think it was a different card last year!

• Advertisement

It was for 50 so not over the limit and yupp, my card now has a zero balance and it shows pending payment to Gamestop. Just hope it doesn't take a week to get the money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,940 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Note: spend one4all vouchers immediately, a large chunk of the value is take off ever year. They are a con.

Why would you wait a year to spend it though? Mines usually spent quick enough 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Can't find the official Halo Infinite thread if it exists, but there's a campaign reveal tomorrow at 2pm our time.

Review embargo lifted for Guardians of the Galaxy, currently at 82 on OpenCritic

• Advertisement

Happy 25th Birthday Lara, the nostalgia from this theme hit me like a brick wall. I remember so vividly playing on a 14 inch telly hooked up to my PS1. This game was pure magic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I played through it a few months ago. Didn't think it would hold up at all considering the clunky controls and it felt a bit awkward very quickly as Mario 64 was only a few weeks away and predated it in Japan.

It holds up though. The controls are clunky but precise. There's a real sense of exploration and discovery. Despite the combat being clunky I much prefer the original tomb raider to the new games or uncharted. I tried the sequels and they really lose more and more magic of the original as they go on.

Oh definitely lost their magic as they went. 2 was spectacular in the same evolution as resident evil 2 was to 1, leaning into action over atmosphere and hard to argue which one was better. The new trilogy are an absolute shadow of its former self.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

After playing 2 right after 1 I can safely say that tomb raider 1 is a much much better game than 2 which felt like they made everything bigger, from the combat to the levels because they could but it didn't lead to a better game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

I regret not playing the original tomb raider games back then, in fact I only played RE1 (remake) for the first time last year, but damn it's hard to believe it was 25 years ago TR first came out. Wow.

I loved Wipeout and Formula 1 back then, and I'm currently playing F1 2020..

Sadly no more wipeouts

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ah I remember playing a loan of Tomb Raider, enjoying its Prince of Persia'esque climbing and exploration then OMG-its-a-Trex-oh-god-oh-god. Remains a seminal, visceral memory from my formative gaming years.

Just watched this interesting vid, how do characters get out of cars in open world games when they are stuck between 2 other cars. Shoutout to the Sleeping Dogs devs for kicking everyone else's arse in this department.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Watch Dogs was just as good as Sleeping dogs. Both you had to break the windows to get out although a different window in both games.

Got around to watching the Halo Infinite gameplay. I find it kind of annoying that Microsoft try to big up Master Chief as some kind of iconic videogame character and I just see him as another dull space marine, probably by design as well so the player can transplant themselves into the character.

Moaning aside, it kind of looks great. I mean open world Halo sounds like a lot of fun if they manage to nail the combat. The grappling hook looks like a blast to use as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I hope they don't expect you to clear out the whole open world area. That wouldn't be fun.

MasterChief is an iconic character. A boring character with no personality and a stupid name but still instantly recognisable. A random selection of the general public would recognize MasterChief.

True but I feel that only holds true with people that are interested in games. He has no cache with anyone else the way Mario sonic or pac man do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Hmmm, and how did I know you'd link a Nintendo something in there as truly iconic ;) . I would agree more non-gamers would be able to identify Mario but that's more because of near meme status at this stage (not to mention that godawful film), not because they actually know the base content or would have more real context vs. say Halo. I doubt there is a single gamer out there who does not recognise Master Chief as the spearpoint of a series that has been a mainstay of console gaming for 2 decades.

Not going to disagree but Master Chief is such a generic design with a very narrow appeal that I don't see him ever getting mass mainstream appeal the way the ones I mentioned did. His design is just a little too bland and I feel Master Chief really has left the public conscience a lot since the last two Halo games were disappointments. On the other hand I guess Microsoft don't have anything else to push as an iconic. I'd say even Lara Croft has more mainstream cache than MC.

And I do admit there is bias here as well as I just find the spartan design so dull.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Yeah they majorly dropped the ball with Halo5, which I presume is why it's not even in the remasters/PC collection at all, best left forgotten from a game perspective (but does more to link into the post-war books which I guess was the intent). I've always seen him as a spacefaring, slightly nicer Judge Dredd with just enough personality to have impact but not depth. I think they have leaned into that with the way they treat him never removing his helmet onscreen (well bar once during a finale scene but again that matched a scene I remember from one of the early Dredd comics, you just see the helmet being placed down beside him).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I do like the look of Halo Infinite and by all accounts its multiplayer sounds like a certified banger. But any game boldly advertising open world 'take over the enemy camp' missions make me involuntarily wince!

Hopefully it's more along the lines of an MGS5 than a Far Cry.

Well it did say take over the camps how you like so maybe multiple objectives???

And even if it is take over the camps, Halo combat would kind of excuse it if they are well designed I guess.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'll be honest, a big reason why I've never bothered with the Halo games is down to Master Chief. The design is just so crushingly boring and generic, it has just made me assume (rightly or wrongly) the game within was itself very blah. MC just looks like a 'roided out Dirt Biker.

• Advertisement

It's actually less gears of war and more air of faux pretension that gives the games undeserved gravitas when the storyline is basically the same as Space Invaders. But it's still fun to get caught up in it and laugh at the really awkward writing in the later games.

That kind of went out the window with Halo 4 and it's way more generic.

Advertisement