Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

This should be in the vaccine thread, but your enthusiasm for the Valneva vaccine seems out of all proportion to the limited results coming out of their trials. Even their own press release makes very modest claims.

I'm not qualified to assess the research, but from my layman's reading it seems like they are just saying that the antibody levels are good a couple of weeks after the second shot and the vaccine is well tolerated, but the comparison is against AZ which is known to have relatively slow (but eventually robust) antibody ramp up compared to the mRNA vaccines. There weren't enough cases to draw strong conclusions about prevention of severe disease.

https://valneva.com/press-release/valneva-reports-positive-phase-3-results-for-inactivated-adjuvanted-covid-19-vaccine-candidate-vla2001/

• Registered Users Posts: 42 123Dublin456

With children being half asymptomatic and no close contacts being identified or tested only in school settings, its not hidden suppression of information really it's very obvious. However even when close contacts did exist a lot of parents brought kids of their own accord and the cases never got linked to the original. It's funny how we all went by the assumption that we can be infectious for 14 days without knowing we have it but our contact tracers only go back 2 days also, when they actually did contact trace. I found it insane that now they're using tickets to contact trace nightclubs but still ignoring schools. I've heard of plenty of schools where one class has ended up with up to 18 cases these aren't all getting documented as school transmission because the way everything is done is slow, when there was tracing.Now, there is no tracing for schools so its even worse. I think some of it is deliberately hidden due to bad and inefficient tracing, and now it is clear as day to see they don't want to know about school cases. The issue really comes down to childcare, they know eduction can be temporarily remote, this isn't the issue, its the parents who can't work while they mind sick or close contact children and can't go to work , that was the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭JRant

You know remote learning for Primary school children is a complete disaster. The Department put absolutely no resources into online learning. Whatever chance secondary schools have you can't have 5/6 years taught remotely. It's just crazy and those children have already missed way to much schooling as it is. But yeah, it's all about child care.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

Took my sense of taste around 3 weeks to return and smell about another 2weeks after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Here's another example of the necessity of vaccines: an anti-vaxxer dying from Covid created a series of Tiktok videos about her experience. It's very grim viewing. She's defiant for the first few videos then reality starts to set in.

https://video.wixstatic.com/video/870a07_2ed64844556741e7995d63895d270b73/480p/mp4/file.mp4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭fits

Holy crap. 😢. It’s just senseless

an acquaintance of mine has a disabled daughter and is very overweight and is a vocal anti Vaxxer and I honestly fear for her and her family if she catches it.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 squelch666

A

I have the vaccind but that video seems fake..i think its sey up just to get money

B

if its true.. she is an anti vaccer and has a kid and wants the world to pay into a fund for herkid..why didnt shejust get the vaccine.

Or why doesn't she loose weight she looks overweight..underlying health issue...one of these slobs who spends all day making tik.tok videos

• Registered Users Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭fits

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

They always beg for money at the end too, to pay for the situation they put themselves in....

Disappointing that she just asks for money instead of encouraging people to get the vaccine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

That requires admitting they were wrong and learn from it (with the limited time she had left) but unfortunately in a certain part of the world where a persons entire worth is built up around this stuff, it never happens.

There is a reddit forum about it and even after they die, the families will almost always play down covid or say it was something else.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I homeschooled my eldest in JI and SI through 2 lockdowns.

It's a nice idea for a week or so.Beyond that it is pointless.

They "catch up" after maybe a couple of weeks of homeschooling.When it becomes chunks of time across one, two and potentially 3 years, it becomes a problem.The kids have anxiety going back to school.Some have behavioural issues, and these are kids that would have no diagnoses for anything, never mind the kids that do.The teacher has double the workload trying to re-do what was "taught" during the lockdown.

Closing schools for periods of time like that is a disaster, to be frank -it becomes more obvious quicker in primary schools, but I think it is a terrible idea all the way up through secondary school too, the longer it goes on.The problems just manifest differently with each age group.

The parents are almost the least of the problem after a certain period of time.We manage with work and schooling but it is sh*t.It's seeing the effects it has on our kids is the really horrible, hardest bit.

I sincerely hope they do not close schools.There have been cases in ours, parents have done their best.If it hapoens, it happens.But I don't think my kids will be able for another extended period of lockdown.Never mind me. It's easy to say but sure it can all transfer online, but in real life, it is not that easy.

I just find it strange that the same people who don't want schools closed also don't want masks, don't fight for them to have hepa filters etc. Irish schools were closed for a long time in 2020 as it was March to June bur the closure in 2021 wasn't really thar substantial in the grand scheme of things. It's not ideal but when they put no mitigations into school, and now do no contact tracing, I'm not sure the rest of society should have to suffer for tbe sake of schools being exactly like before covid plus sanisiter. When I referred to remote learning I meant for cases of close contacts etc, but to be honest I think Irish people don't realise how long schools closed in other countries compared with here. It was the full year in some countries. Also think people need to realise that SEN is going to be really neglected due to the sub shortage.

How did the people who want schools open let them become the least safe environment in the country? They've combined unvaccinated with no contact tracing....it's madness in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

bet that makes a few here feel all warm and fuzzy inside

least safe?

children are evidentially not at risk from Covid 19

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I think the policy for primary schools is all wrong . Close contacts of a positive case should be tested very quickly and once negative then back to school . Not testing them at all is ridiculous

But most parents are being the responsible ones and informing other parents if their child is positive . The parents can then decide if they are going to get a PCR or do an antigen test before sending them in

Surely that is a fair compromise

I don't really think all parents are doing that, some are but definitely not all. To be honest it's not even about the risk to the kids themselves even though that's important too but every kid is in contact with grandparents, parents etc so its definitely having a huge impact. Its sad to think some of the deaths that have happened in the vaccinated and unvaccinated older people have probably happened due to the attitudes of people here with schools. I can never figure out if people are indoctrinated by the schools are safe motto or if they just don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

Terrible but it's just confirmation bias just like the marathon runner who can no longer climb the stairs because of long covid. You'll always have a few outlier cases with any disease. For every one sad story there is a thousand others who caught covid and it was no more than a bad cold. Also being that overweight isn't going to help fighting any disease.

To he honest as much as I'm saying its ridiculous here, I've lost any hope of the government being responsible. I'm all for things reopening now adults are vaccinated, but the schools have been a joke how they've been managed. It seems now that even vaccinated adults will at least get antigen tested if close contacts and yet still no tracing in schools or any testing? Its just hopefully expecting this government to do things right.

• Advertisement

I can only speak for our local school where the vast majority have informed other parents and given them at very least a choice

As you say some parents have other vulnerable children or elderly parents in the house and at very least should be given a choice to do what is right for their family

• Registered Users Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭brickster69

The government had a choice on testing. The general public or schools, with 30K capacity for testing / day they cannot do both.

When you look around Europe the situation is the same in many places.Germany does 100K tests / day and find 10K cases. Yet ICU, hospitals and deaths are rising far higher. Obviously anyone can see that the case situation is far higher than being reported which means far more people are going around with the virus and spreading it.

Same in Ireland really no one has a real idea of how many people are running around passing it on every day. In Germany's case it will probably be about 20K / day

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

Yeah you'll have parents who are careful and parents who are anti bax conspiracy theorists, so it probably jaut depends on their own values.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

The whole thing is crazy.But we have underinvested in education and health for decades, they just don't make a hot topic politicially, so people haven't been interested I think.(well health bubbles up every now and then...). Parents are generally being fairly responsible for informing of cases.

Listen, the flip side of "society suffering for schools to be open" is why should kid's education suffer so people can have a social life??It works both ways.There were comments in the paper at the weekend, the IT invited people's opinions on whether we were opening too soon, and one 70 yr old man wrote in that he was really worried we were reopening too fast because he and his wife (late 60s),were quite happy with how things were the last few months, and wanted to able to resume all of their normal activities and this would be put on hold if cases rose sky high.Why should 19 and 20 year olds be denied their social life and their passage of growth for a 60 or 70 year old who wants to be able to do his activities?

I guess education is a lifelong thing and the effects of an interrupted education can last for years.Also covid is fairly low risk to the majority of kids.If we want the education system to change we need to start asking hard questions of our politicians at election time, demand more investment and stop obsessing about religion in the classroom and teacher's holidays.But I guess that's a discussion for another day.

March 2020 called. We've had a hugely successful vaccination program since which has reached almost all adults in this country.

You need to move on.

The children need education first and foremost.

Also, this idea of people still going to work even though there is a covid positive case in their own house, just because they're vaccinated. That is also madness. Not sure if that changed.

Children's education at the sake of how many lives? They wear masks in Canada, America, Spain, France.... why are Irish children different. I'm not too sure what you think tbe choice is here anyway, they're meant to be safer, not closed, they've been open the majority of the pandemic anyway, pandemic closures were in total about 6 months, time open during pandemic is about 10 months, so they've been open, so how about you think about how to stop them making more people sick than need to be? Or is that just too inconvenient for you?

It does indeed work both ways . So then equally why should a 60-70 year olds be denied their social life so a 19-20 year olds who want to be able to have a social life

Its all about compromise in my opinion so we all get to enjoy some of our enjoyments and allow others to enjoy theirs

For example the elderly and vulnerable have to go shopping and use public transport and medical facilities so we all use masks for those

They don’t necessarily have to go to night clubs so it can be a little more relaxed

By this same logic, something that appeals to all age groups should always have been open, the gov actually prioritised certain groups the whole time and it wasn't always done in the interest of the common good. There's no point in arguing any of this anymore as its all very divisive. Personally I think that copying thr crazy policies of England with schools with no tracing and no masks and no hepa filters was a huge mistake. I have no doubt its led to numbers of cases increasing and I don't think its fair that some people in society have to suffer so that the gov can run schools with no safety measures, particularly primary.

• Advertisement

Realistically though the cases all spread regardless of where they started. The whole thing is still a disaster, I don't think the numbers of deaths are acceptable either, and England have more.

Advertisement