Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black History Month Ireland, why?

Options

Comments

We need a middle eastern or asian history month as the persians, chinese and indian civilisations, after the mediteranean basin civilisations , have had a greater influence than all of Africa. Honourable exception to the likes of Mansa Musa though

I just find this so completely absurd. Living in Asia has taught me it's incredibly annoying for your skin colour or nationality to be a constant thing you're reminded of.

Where I work, there is a staff room for local people, and a staff room for foreigners. They used to be together and it was great. Now with it split, it's a constant reminder that I'm segregated away because of who I am. Literally a different floor. It's non-stop every single day. Even though I can speak the language pretty well, people don't expect it so they try to listen for English initially and don't even hear you speak their own language. You walk into a shop and you can hear the staff say to each other oh shlt I can't speak English and start trying to work out who has the best chance of understanding me. I choose this life and can leave it whenever I want so it's not a big deal, but you never ever feel like you belong.

It really makes sense that America is so split when everything is about your race and heritage. No one is just American. It's hammered into everyone every single day that if your great grandparents came over from Ireland say in 1890, you're Irish American. If you're black, you're African American. But what if you're Caribbean and don't want to be called African American? What if you just want to be called American and not have your "experience" defined by your ancestors? Why on Earth Ireland is adopting this toxic horseshlt is completely beyond me. There is not one positive that comes from applying unnecessary adjectives to a person.

"Make them feel more welcome." is what 50-year-old Irish parents say the first year they get some Spanish students over to stay during the summer. They're children.. We better help them out. That's fine. But it's straight-up condescending fukery to do it to adults or entire races of people as if they have no agency of their own.

If you want to make people feel welcome, you treat them like everyone else. I go to the same small shops where people know me, speak to me in Vietnamese, and don't make a fuss when I go in. It allows me to get my groceries without feeling like an outsider, or like my skin colour matters. Same if I want to go for beers. We go to places that treat us like we're human beings and not exotic animals. I'm a human being. I'm not a white human being.

Black history month for a race of people which has had frankly no impact on Irish history is a mockery. We have had no impact on their histories either. We have co-existed on this planet without raping and pillaging either other and that should be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

🙈🙉🙊

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It's because the Right on and racists have one thing in common; they're both absolutely bloody obsessed with skin colour and a heirarchy of attention within that. One looks at them with mistrust, even hate, the other looks on them with patronising eyes. And both look down on them. "Black" is top of the exoticism tree. The squeeky wheel that gets the most grease. Even the terms "multicultural" and "diversity" essentially mean "Black" in majority White western nations. If all of those with an African background left Ireland tomorrow we'd still be a "multicultural" nation. There are four times more Polish people living in Ireland than Africans from all backgrounds of that huge continent and we'll never hear calls for Polish history month Ireland. There are more Luthuanians, Germans, British, Spanish, French, Romanians and South Asians too. There are double the number of East Asians. None of them will get their "history month" or attention.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,849 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

That's alright. Plenty of people don't follow the news or know what is going on. There is a good website for Irish news called https://www.rte.ie/ . If you look at that you will learn about some of what is going on currently in the country.

If you scroll down the front page of that site, you will see that they have a dedicated section highlighting "Black History Month". They don't have a lot of stories, but they are collated on a subpage here https://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/black-history-month/ . Even though they don't have a huge amount of stories, that front page bit has been there for at least a couple of weeks and I presume it will stay there for a while longer so you can find and access it easily at your leisure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I suspect most black people here have little interest in this kind of identity politics parade

And if Vietnamese TV were showing a few programs about Irish people in Vietnam over the last 30 years of so, would you be against that also?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,831 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I agree with the OP it is bollixology. As if somehow Ireland is the 51st state. I watched this one basically mentioned Fredrick Douglass visit and tied him to Daniel O’Connell.

But again it had little to do with Irish history. More Ireland trying to claim American history vicariously IMO.

Throw a ‘black’ in front of history and it ticks a box- as well. It does seem very bandwagony and out of place for history in Ireland. Is the Black prefix necessary? I already knew about Douglass as it was just history- simple as that.

Obama referenced Douglass in 2011 as well again creating the narrative of that link. In reality Douglass was a fella passing through doing a tour. No different to someone stopping in Athlone on the way to Galway.

Also to note Ireland is one of the few European countries to now have an official ‘black history month’. Make of that what you will.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Totally nonsense, what next changing street names like some other countries. Wouldn't surprise me if this is next on our country agenda.

Well in the context of this thread, it wouldn't be about Irish people; It would be about white people. They already have museums documenting that, and frankly, I'd prefer to not be associated with agent orange just because I happen to be white.

• Advertisement

So you're telling me I have to go searching for information about Black History Month and when I arrive at my destination there's little there?

I rest my case.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,831 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

If it makes money and brings the Yanks in - what harm ? I assume that is the real logic?

(American) Indian history month is the one I am looking forwards to.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

Eh most people don't really give these things too much consideration. We all have friends from other countries at this point, be they black, white or otherwise. At the very least everyone in the country will have had some pleasant interactions with people of other races throughout their lives. Black History Month Ireland - why not. It's kind of interesting I suppose. The only people who kick up a fuss about these kinds of things are people who already have problems with immigration or black people in general really. I think these things are aimed at annoying these people lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Celebrating Afro-Irish figures i sall good. Phil Lynott has been recognised with a statue for 16 years now. I dont understand the presentation as Afro Irish history as somehow forgotten or neglected history, or as Ireland's hidden history. I did more digging into history months and there is indeed a Irish history month in US, and an Asian history month, but they are not exported. I appreciate such history months are less important as such minorities didnt have as tough a time but that history of injustice doesnt apply here.

As someone who has spent a lot of time in Africa, for a long time I argued African /black isnt a ethnicity. I think the idea is really retrogressive. In Ireland with 'black people'we are talking about Irish people/ or Afro-Irish, depending on personal preference.

Well it depends what you consider as constitute "have to go searching". It is right there smack bang on the front page of the National Broadcaster website landing page and has been for a few weeks. It was originally smack bang the top of the page but has been moved down over time. If one had visited that site for general news over the past few weeks they they would have seen it.

I think they gave up the practice of having the town crier deliver messages to people in person a while back.

I've been in some of those museums, I didn't feel like I was associated with agent orange, not did anyone make me feel that way. Maybe you're getting paranoid.......

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

I suspect the narrative around US figures is because the Irish narrative is hard to express in any kind of attractive manner.

Imagine your narrative is your parents came here, made a fake asylum application which they withdrew on your birth because this meant you were now an Irish citizen and they were unlikely to be deported, and you’ve been here ever since. And the Constitution had to be changed to stop this happening, causing problems for the Good Friday Agreement.

If your origins are that awkward, of course you’ll drown it in BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭paul71

I would have little to no interest in the subject. The fact that RTE will dedicate a month to it niether concerns, interests or bothers me. What dose concern is why some people would be bothered by it.

You're so so close.

You understand that you're not associated with agent orange and America because of your skin colour, but are happy to put all black people in a basket to make them feel welcome.

Just one more step and you're there. Those museums you've been in didn't say "White people did this."

I'm not putting anyone in any baskets?

somebody in RTE has decided to show a number of programs about black people. Some people (of any.colour) may be interested in watching those programs, other people may not. There are a number of black people living in irish society now, I don't believe anyone thinks they are all the same, anymore then all white people are the same.

There are programs about Irish people, does that mean all Irish people are the same? Obviously not.

People in Ireland may be interested in watching programs about non native people who have either had influence here or have chosen to make their lives here.

maybe we should wait to see what the programs are about before we decide that RTE are patronizing all black people, eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭AllForIt

As a supplement to BHM a cork based NGO have launched a campaign that targets racism in the GBT+ community. That's not a typo by the way, it's not targeted at women. I opened a thread about it in the lgbt forum but didn't get much attention. https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/118059395#Comment_118059395

I've laid out my objections to it the thread but just to say here I find it grossly insulting and highly objectionable. I'm intend to go to my local TD and complain about it, something I've never done, on the basic that this is a total waste of public money as it's funded by the Department of Equality & Integration.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,581 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

You could count on one hand the number of black people in Ireland before the late 90s when the anchor baby loophole in the system was exploited until it was shut down in 04.

A programme about well known black Irish like Phil Lynott or Paul McGrath would be interesting and as a license payer I'd certainly watch it but this Black history Month is nothing but nonscense.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Any article about Pamela Uba is "first black woman to win Miss Ireland". For all the talk of not judging or treating people differently based on skin colour, Pamela is just seen as a black woman in every article I have seen. I'm chatting to this black girl who's new to ireland and she basically said what many of us think, that they're just giving black people token prizes so they are seen as equal. It's not organic at all.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Some people here really don't like black people.

Oppose any bit of attention or recognition they get even though it literally has zero impact on their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

A lot of RTÉs staff take their cues from America. Their content is either seen through an American lens or they'll try to reshape American content to an "Irish" angle no matter how tenuous.

A great example of this was earlier this year when the mental health of sportspeople was in the news. A worthy topic for coverage on RTÉ and also not like we have a shortage of Irish people with stories of their mental health, or tragic examples regarding Irish sportspeople (Darren Sutherland and Ryan McBride spring to mind).

No need for those on RTÉ however, because the article was only inspired by and referenced people like Naomi Osaka and Simone Biles. As far as RTÉ were concerned the mental health of sportspeople wasn't worth discussing when it was only Irish people affected, but once American news started covering it, it was apparently something Irish people needed to start thinking about.

The way you're carrying on you'd swear the town crier was still about and had replaced the cock-a-doodle-doo of the morning rooster with a morning reminder it was still Black History Month.

No. Simply pointing out that anyone who had looked at rte.ie at any stage over the past few weeks would have seem it plastered on the front page.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The general procedure when discussing anything to do with such multicultural matters is to a) claim there's nothing to see here, b) it's racism to even look.

This Black history month in an Irish context is tokenism of the highest order more aimed at White people than Black in many ways(with a few it's a way to feel more holier than thou. The church may be gone, the crawthumpers never left). The history of Black people in this country is absolutely tiny to the point of being nearly nonexistent and the numbers of Black people themselves living here was equally tiny until the mid 90's. Even so and this seems to come as a shock to both the Right On and the Right wing, they're still a tiny minority of people living here today. Just over one percent.

Take Nigerian folks who would be the largest African diaspora here as an example; there are double the number of Spaniards living here. Double the number of French. Double the number of German. Six times the number of Lithuanians, twenty times the number of Poles. None of whom seem to be exotic enough to warrant attention or a month of their own. But let's go beyond the pale of face. There are a third more Chinese, double the number of Indians and not a peep from the various vested interest NGO's about them. You might get a sniff of it around Chinese new year, but that's about your lot.

I agree any history month will have pretty much zero impact on my life and I suspect 99% of people's lives regardless of their background. I object to the tokenism, much of it born of White saviour mentality and the varous vested interests, NGO, politicos and even race baiters. That kind of tokenism doesn't seem to have done much good elsewhere has it? But again we seem hellbent on repeating the mistakes of others.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,334 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

There isn't enough "black history" in Ireland to fill a half an hour, never mind a month.

Advertisement