Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,614 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Is being ambiguous a sign of a strong or weak leader? You're trying to play both sides a bit with your point here.

They've come out and said the position of the US on Taiwan is the same as it ever was, Biden's answer got it into the news headlines, China will have to take note while diplomatically not really be able to do anything as the policy is still the same. I doubt it was intentional, but his comment has probably had the desired "soft power" effect that the US wanted.

The standing was weird, but I've seen worse when someone is waiting for a question (ever keep an eye on movie extras?). Does he go with folded arms, hands in pockets, pretend lean, awkward hands by his side, should he be holding paper similar to Cooper. It's also not really a sign of anything untoward apart from awkwardness.

Budget situation looks a bit stark at the moment, that needs to be turned around a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

Joe is a few years too late to be president imo. It's a real pity because at heart he looks like a decent kind of guy and Washington doesn't seem to have destroyed his human side. It's patently clear now why the democrats aren't putting him forward for interviews or questions that often unless it's pretty softball stuff from CNN and the like but that's going to be increasingly difficult as time goes by.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Caquas

Yes I do.

Which do you think Trump wanted to talk about when he was asked about Russian interference by the US media that was plotting to impeach him?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

OK, so the question asked at that press conference didn't reference anything about the supposed collusion, it was purely centred on the Russian interference.

In a strongly-worded statement, US House Speaker Paul Ryan said Mr Trump "must appreciate that Russia is not our ally".

Edit: if you want, we can take this to the trump thread

Post edited by duploelabs on

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

The US media was plotting to impeach Trump? What kind of fantasy world do you live in?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

Here’s a thought to link this back to Biden. Trump is obnoxious in many ways and he ultimately failed but he wasn’t weak like Biden, especially when dealing with the media.

Unlike Biden, Trump faced a hostile media (with few exceptions). He treated them with contempt, cutting them out and reinventing political communication through his Twitter feed. Then he would go on Fox and have (embarrassingly) long conversations about anything and everything. Contrast Biden who has been hidden from the media for months, emerged to do a CNN (who else!) Town Hall with a sympathetic audience but he messed it up. Taiwan is one for the nerds. His remarks on energy were pathetic but it his overall demeanour that disturbed most commentators here.

Trump’s faced a dilemma in Helsinki. The media were like a malicious co-worker who has been trying to get him fired and who asks an embarrassing question during a crucial meeting with a major competitor. Should he give them the satisfaction? There was no good answer he could give but what he said was not a gaffe. And no one was going to ask Putin a much more interesting question- “What would you do if your old comrades in the Russian intelligence community were plotting against you, like the FBI and others are doing to President Trump?”

Biden doesn’t have to worry on that score although the spooks are seriously unhappy with his rushed withdrawal from Afghanistan which exposed their intelligence failures. The big risk now is that Biden becomes increasingly incapacitated in the next three years and we have a scenario unprecedented in modern times. Woodrow Wilson had a stroke that knocked him out for weeks in 1919 but it was covered up which couldn’t happen today (could it?). Don’t say Vice-President Harris would step in, I want to believe someone will be in charge even it is is the spooks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

It’s been the blindingly obvious police for decades. I’ve a friend who was in the submarine service (Los Angeles class fast attack) who spent an awful lot of time around Taiwan.

Every time the Chinese fly near Taiwan the Pacific fleet adjusts position.

Militarily, it would be really interesting to see what would happen if the Chinese tried to invade. I wonder how long the Chinese navy would actually last in such a scenario. A day? Definitely less than a week.

Which is why it’ll never happen

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Yes, I do. Do You think the media was fair to Trump during the (multiple) impeachment efforts? Remember all those Watergate analogies - heroic journalists exposing wrongdoing in the Oval Office? That all turned to sh*t when the Mueller Report exposed the plotting between the Clinton campaign and the spooks with the journalists acting as their patsies. Now I see Christopher Steele is being resurrected by the media even though he won’t go to the U.S. to answer questions.

Contrast that with the suppression of news about Hunter Biden’s laptop. Now there’s a Ukraine scandal!

You've lost the room now.

Did Tucker ever release the contents of the USB key?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I really like this quote of Biden from a phone conversation with Putin (from "Peril")

In a phone call on July 9, 2021, President Biden warned Russian president Vladimir Putin he must crack down on Russian-based criminals launching ransomware cyberattacks. “If you can’t or won’t, I will,” he said. At the very end of the conversation, Biden added, “You know, Mr. President, great countries have great responsibilities. They also have great vulnerabilities.” U.S. offensive cyber capability was formidable, as Putin knew.

Woodward, Bob; Costa, Robert. Peril (p. 418). Simon & Schuster. Kindle Edition. 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

Yeah but this stuff has been going on forever. Google the Equation Group and the Shadow Brokers.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I never had this room full of Bidenistas who are dismayed by any mention of Hunter.

Ask Tucker if you’re actually interested but you are obviously not interested in the truth about Hunter.

Did you put in a bid for his “art” 😎

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

It’s because what Hunter does is his own business and not the business of the President. Not to mention that everything we have seen suggests the Hunter story is a load of bollocks anyway..

And before you start about the comparisons to the Trump kids, they were doing shady sh*t while holding tax-payer-funded jobs in the White House. There is a massive difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,593 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

The vast majority (obviously can't say 100%) would be of the view that anyone caught breaking the law should be held accountable. Be that HC, Biden, Hunter or Trump.

The big difference seems to be that regardless of the facts that come out about Trump, his supporters ignore it all and simply claim its all part of a big conspiracy. Yet they are happy to continue to demand answers for stuff without any evidence such is the case with Hunter.

It almost as if Trump didn't try to find something before the election! He even tried to bully a foreign country to provide any evidence. Guiliani was working on it for ages. Fox went all out to try to uncover something. At what point do you start to think that maybe there isn't something there? Why do you use such widely different forms of thinking between Trump and Biden?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,135 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Just to re-iterate one of the warnings in the OP. This is not a thread to discuss Hunter Biden. I will add though - unless it has a direct impact on the presidency. I do not think any of the recent discussion falls into that category, so drop it

Any questions PM me - do not respond to this warning in-thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

The mainstream media are finding it hard to keep a lid on Biden's unpopularity as president. Not sure if anyone mentioned it already but the phrase "Let's go Brandon" has been trending online and has inspired songs that have reached #1 on Itunes and Amazon.

I will let you do your own research on what the phrase means exactly. It originates from a crowd's chant "misinterpreted" by a reporter attending a Nascar event recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Biden is unpopular at event attended by mostly Trump supporters. Shocker. And easily amused Trump supporters start a hashtag and buy a dumb song. Any other brilliant insights to share?

Interesting how offended you are by my post and eager to downplay something that has managed to attract enough attention to surpass Adele and Ed Sheeran in popularity.

Anything that surpasses Adele and Ed Sheeran in popularity must be something of enormous proportions. So downplay at your peril.

Why would I be offended by your silly post?! I am amused though! "Enormous proportions" 😂

• Advertisement

Yep, every month as president is proving detrimental to the democrats.

It doesn't indicate that at all. It's purchased a lot because conservatives in general are technophobes and are the only people dumb enough to still buy music on things like iTunes. The song has a relatively small number of plays on streaming services like Spotify.

The people who think they're making a point by buying that song are the same people who make donations when they receive those "urgent" SMS requests about Trump needing money for the "cause".

• Registered Users Posts: 19,411 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Oh no's.

They're voting a song up on Spotify.

Jfc - with that kind of activism the dems are in deep doo doo in the midterms

You really don’t get it. This is a not a story about NASCAR fans hating Biden. It’s about the TV reporter misrepresenting what these people were shouting.

So “Let’s go Brandon” is a riposte to the Biden-friendly media who misrepresent was ordinary Americans are saying.

It’s about the TV reporter misrepresenting what these people were shouting.

As any reporter does when the crowd are shouting expletives.

It's hilarious that some posters think that some shïte song nobody in their right mind would want to listen to, never mind buy, is some sort of battlecry from the disenchanted masses of "ordinary Americans"!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Just goes to show Republicans will try and manipulate any popularity contest

Very similar to the "he's attracting a big crowd" people who thought that was an indication of who was more popular.

The other way of looking at it is that left leaning artists dominate the chart most of the rest of the time.

Honestly, it doesn't really mean anything, similar to a lot of the memes surrounding presidential candidates.

Approval rating is still dropping, still higher than his predecessor ever was, but lower than a lot of presidents at this point, budget approvals will be needed to turn this around.

No. Reporters can’t repeat the expletives which fans are shouting but reporters don’t lie about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,233 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Why would the mainstream media be keeping a lid on Biden's unpopularity, if it exists?

Media aren't loyal to anybody.

Your post suggests you are one of the poor unfortunates who believes Trump's lies about the fake news.

Advertisement