Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

In this case the vaccines don't appear to have worked very well for patient A. Would they be as responsive to further treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,088 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Your reply shows just how little you know of the real world or more like how much you are attempting to conceal you do.

Triage doctors make decisions on a daily based as to who in their view has the best chance of survival from on-going treatment. If as such the doctor bases that on vaccinated as opposed to unvaccinated that would be entirely their call.

You are more than aware of that from all the time you spent on the Sweden thread, so one thing I am most definitely not confused on is a disingenuous post attempting to avoid a reply to a question.

I

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭watchingfromafar

Questionable because if a doctor is presented with a 85 year old double vaccinated patient or a 21 year old unvaccinated patient the doctor is not going to let the 21 year old die because "well he should have taken the jab"

The same way a skinny 85 year old will not be given the icu over an obese child if both are having heart attacks.

To come out with comments like yours shows how little you know about triage. If it was factored on health choices alone then anyone who drank or ate fast food would be left to die for the people who ate healthily at the doctor isn't going to spend time ticking off some kind of "naughty or nice" list to decide.

The reality is its who has the best chance of survival and most amount of life expectancy left. And that is the younger unvaccinated person.

Just because you think it's unfair doesn't mean Jack **** and not how healthare works.

The doctor is not some moral arbiter for his patients.

Sickening people think like this at all tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

I’d guess it’s because we’ve never really had a pandemic like this in recent memory.

You raise an interesting point though, and I guess it’s the nub of the entire thing, how much ICU capacity should we have, to ensure no restrictions ? Obviously we were well below what’s needed in 2020 (and for decades earlier, and we still are), but can we afford to plan based on a probably one in a hundred year event ? If we had 10k ICU beds, do we let it rip til they’re full ? Unlikely to happen given our vaccination rates of course. I don’t know where the balance is for governments, and not just ours, the world over pretty much. Healthcare systems are struggling all over.

I`m not saying anybody will be denied or that they should. Triage calls are made by doctors, and during this pandemic doctors were often called on where health services were over-run to make life and death decisions based on who in their view had the best chance of survival. I would not see it as beyond the bounds of possibilities that a triage doctor would have to make a call where the only difference between two patients is their vaccination status. I cannot see if asked how one was chosen over the other, the doctor would say it was based on the toss of a coin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

I have no commitments to answer questions from you, especially grisly made-up scenarios.

You originally said all things being equal between the two patients health-wise, now you are subtly changing the decision from being about whether one person 'followed medical advice' to the vax'd person having a better chance of survival.

With goalposts successfully moved, you don't look as bad as you did a moment ago. Well done on a firm rhetorical recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭Blut2

Absolutely. We have half the ICU capacity per capita of the EU average, one quarter Germany's... Despite us being one of the richest countries in the EU. In 2020 before corona hit we had significantly lower ICU capacity and hospital bed capacity per capita, than at any time in the previous 40 years in Ireland.

This by itself is absolutely damning, and heads should be rolling about it. But the media is too in hock to government advertising money at the moment to raise it. FF & FG know the public would turn on them very, very fast if it became known they've overseen the gradual gutting of our healthcare system over years.

Its also now becoming apparent that the government was banking on zero covid being the solution to this, first from lockdowns and when they failed from vaccinations. Its why they haven't expanded our ICU capacity massively over the last 2 years, when everyone has known the biggest issue we face from covid is overwhelming of the hospitals. The media should be calling them out for this, but again nothing...

I said nothing about kicking anyone out of hospital. If you read my post My question is simply if two patients similar in every way other than vaccination status are vying for the one available hospital bed who is most likely to get .?

If you were the triage doctor based with the choice who would you chose The one who attempted to avoid becoming infected or the one who did not ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,618 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Nevada with a population lower than Ireland (3M) and sparsely populated (more sparsely populated than Ireland) has had about 40% more deaths than Ireland. Looking at the numbers, it also seems to be a continuous wave of infections rather than peaks and troughs as Ireland had. The 7 day average death rate from COVID is also higher than Ireland.

But sure, the vaccinated rate means nothing...

• Advertisement

I would hope to have more information about the patients than just whether they had taken a vaccine or not.

Rather than a rant, perhaps it would be better if you actually read posts before replying.

I`m well aware of how triage works. My question was not in relation to and 85 year old fully vaccinated and a 21 year old not vaccinated.

It was all things being equal, other than their vaccination status, who is a triage doctor most likely to allocate the one remaining bed too ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

If one were obese I'd save the other if they were a healthy weight.

Again either avoiding to answer the question or failing to read the post.

I made it clear that the question was based on a triage doctor making a decision. A "grisly" decision they are often required to make.

How is "all things being equal" if as I clearly stated one choose to get vaccinated and the other did not ?

0.25% of the population of Nevada have died from Covid. Almost 2,000 since the start of June alone. Equivalent to 3,000 here. Things working out swimmingly for Nevadans. Latest wave seems to have passed though.

And a quick google reveals hospitals struggled through September and still do in rural parts of the state

There you go again.

'Intention' has nothing to do with it. Unless it directly relates to a purely medical factor such as survivability a real doctor will not even be thinking about it for a second.

Triage decisions aren't a test like 'Has this earned the right to live by behaving responsibly?'

That might happen in North Korea maybe, not here.

Triage doctors very often do not have the time to do in-depth medical assessment . Their decision are made on the assessment of the immediate information they have they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭prunudo

Personally, if I was a doctor, I would help the person that needs it most, not take some moral high ground over how they've chosen to live their life, because at the end of the day isn't health care about helping those that are suffering and making them better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Tadhgg

I see "there is no acceptable level of deaths" is the new reason why we must re-enter lockdown until the virus somehow disappears.

That would be a quite reasonable decision in that scenario for a triage doctor to make that could not be questioned imo, but not what I was asking. My question was all things being equal other than vaccine status which would be chosen that wouldn`t be questionable for the doctor.

• Advertisement

You are now just running around the houses attempting to avoid answering a direct question. But work away wasting your own time

It’s the symptoms the patient is presenting with not vaccination status that will drive the decision at triage, as it should

Would it be the closer to the first thing or the last thing in the list of criteria, if you were the doctor?

Why do people not simply read posts before giving an opinion.

I made it clear that both patients presented with the same level of need and were similar in all other ways other than one being vaccinated and the other haven chosen not to receive a vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭watchingfromafar

If a person is double vaccinated and ends up in the ICU with covid they are obviously more unhealthy to begin with than the unvaccinated person who is in the same position. That doesn't determine outcome though. If they are both in need of the same level of care.

But hypothetically if you are saying they are 100% equal (ie perfect twins) before the jab then it would seem the person with some level of antibodies in them will have a better chance at survival and therefore get that bed. But that isn't because they deserve the bed for taking the jab. It's just it bumps them up in survivability.

Again it falls down to who is going to survive and have quality of life years left. Not who took the jab or didn't. which would be arbitrary as that isn't a metric for survival.

On the reverse side if someone has LESS chance of survival even after the jab than the unvaccinated person then the unvaccinated person should get the icu bed.

To be honest with the money we put into health care we shouldn't be at this place. And the government is playing us for fools for directing any energy at vaccinated vs unvaccinated when everyone no matter their choice should be able to get icu because we pay enough god damn taxes for it!

Of course it would and should. My question was if both were similar in all areas other than vaccination status which status would be most likely to influence a triage decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Plenty of restaurants, pubs etc not bothering checking covid certs but they'll be first to be closed in a lock down.

I'd say let everyone look after themselves, majority are vaccinated now, why should anti vaxxers bother us

So you're posting completely improbable hypothetical scenarios to justify medical apartheid?..

Triage decisions are made on the basis of the immediate information available. Not on prolonged research into a patients past medical records.

• Advertisement

Lol you are trying to muddy the waters by conflating things like 'effort to avoid infection', 'intention', 'following medical advice' - behavioural factors - with medical status, chances of survival.

Doctors do not triage patients based on their actions and how well the patient has striven to be a dutiful bureaucratic servant. It doesn't come into it, it's not a theological discipline, a doctor could be struck off for saying they let someone die in that manner. They'd be sued by the family for malpractice in a civil action.

Obviously if I was triage doctor I would not myself behave in a grossly unethical way, to answer your question.

Advertisement