Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

I totally get that and you’re right, calls were made in triage earlier this year. I just don’t think vaccination status will ever be the sole criteria or sole difference between patients. At a total guess I’d say age is the biggest factor.

would doctors even be aware if someone is vaccinated ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭prunudo

But they wouldn't be equal, because if as we are lead to believe the vaccine reduces the seriousness of the virus, then the unvaccinated person is going to need the care more than the vaccinated person.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,088 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I would not disagree with much of what you say, but I would have thought others would have recognised that in a triage situation with all things being equal and with nothing other than the immediate information available, then,as you say, the vaccinated patient with some level of antibodies would be deemed the one with the better chance of survival and be allocated the bed.

My question was based on all things being equal other than vaccination status. I imagine a triage doctor would ask if they were vaccinated. There would be no obligation on them to answer, but I don`t see why the vaccinated person would refuse to.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,445 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

There won't be further "lockdowns".

There will be the far more nasty and insidious "restrictions".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,445 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Its bad enough that some people don't understand triage, something else quite entirely that they want to invent scenarios to justify a twisted desire to let certain people die.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

People just get off being high and mighty and pointing the finger.

Triage decisions are based on who has the best chance of survival. If one is vaccinated then they will have some level of antibodies whereas the other will not. I would not see it unreasonable that the the decision went the way of the one with antibodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭watchingfromafar

Yes but that's nothing to do with the vaccinated status and shouldn't be a focus of anything. But yet that type of rhetoric is being used to punish people who aren't vaccinated and will NEVER end up in the ICU with covid.

Like myself. I had the sniffles and then felt sleepy for a few weeks. But there is absolutely no point or anything worth while about screaming in my face telling me that I could take a bed from a vaccinated person.

The chances of having two identical aged people with the same level of survival one vaccinated one not is so tiny that it basically nit picking to the Nth degree. And it's purely based in wanting to punish people for their life choices not in caring for people in need of help.

Imagine we go into the ICU right now and see a young man on life support after drinking and taking pills and then saying well he made that choice so **** him he shouldnt get ICU. Crazy talk!

The reality is an unvaccinated person with a better chance of survival should always be given the bed over the double jabbed person with less chance. And that's how it is so I don't see what point you are trying to make that will have any real world effect other than demonising people who wish not to take the jab for "fear" they might end up in ICU

Lots of things in life put people in ICU at much greater rates than covid. But I don't see you slapping pints or burgers out of people's hands incase they take a bed off a person who doesn't drink or eat **** food.

It's public health care. We all pay for it. Irrespective of your lifestyle choices we give care to those who need it. Because that's the society of no judgement and caring. If you want a different society then I suggest we have private care. No care for junkies because it takes away from ambulances for those who need it right??

There are too many things we could blame for people ending in icu that was 100% avoidable. But we don't rant and rave or block people from society because that sucks the life out of living.

One walk around dublin city yesterday and I see obese people everywhere. Much more likely to need ICU even after the vaccinate than I would be unvaccinated. But that's their choice. I'd still give them all the care they need. Even if I think they are eating themselves to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Don't know why because we're all just as susceptible to getting the virus, vaccinated or not, and passing it on.

It's everyone for themselves now and God help anyone that needs a bed in our money wasting health service in a couple weeks time

• Advertisement

If in your scenario a vaccinated and unvaccinated person present with the same condition in icu, there would be quite a high probability that the vaccinated individual did not have adequate immune response and possibly have a compromised immune system which would impact their probability of recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Weren’t we all lead to believe that these people were the compassionate ones and that it was people like US that were despicable granny killers? Fcuk all compassion being shown now! Fcuking hypocrites.

I don`t see how a triage doctor would be able to make a decision on whether a patient has a compromised immune system or not.. Triage is a decision based on the immediate information available. I don`t see it not being reasonable for the triage doctor making a decision based on one having a better chance than the other due to one having antibodies due to them being vaccinated.

The information available to the triage doctor would be that the vaccinated patient is just as ill as the unvaccinated therefore there is a strong possibility they don’t actually have antibodies, and what’s more down to a poor immune system.

All the vaccine does is trigger the immune system. It doesn’t always happen, and that’s down to the immune system of the individual

Even if you happen to have a case like this which is as I said before nitpicking to the nth degree it would be so rare. So rare that even discussing it as a means of punishing people for not taking the vaccine by keeping them from being part of society that it is utterly ridiculous. And if that is the justification for keeping people out of hospitality then we are in a sorry state of affairs.

What's your actual point with all this Charlie?

Is that you sole reason for blocking people from having a pint in a pub? Why not going to the shops too? Why not the petrol stations?

We can push this pass into every part of life with justifications like yours if we take that stance.

Is it worth discussing for the tiny chance that a doctor will have to make a hard choice? Or are we on the "its your own fault your in icu" bandwagon. In which case I have a few more people I'd like to add to that list. Obese. Alcoholics. Junkies. Attempted suicide patients.. there is a laundry list of reasons people end up in ICU that are all more avoidable than the tiny chance of going there with fecking covid.

These passes are not worth it. And I can't believe we are allowing it.

My question was all things being equal other than vaccine status which would be chosen that wouldn`t be questionable for the doctor.

So these imaginary patients are identical twins?

What do we get if we win your childish imaginary game? A pat on the back and a little star?

If a triage doctor is making a decision based on antibodies being present, then I cannot see how the much stronger likelihood of them being present in the vaccinated patient than the unvaccinated would not be a consideration.

There was nothing complicated about the question. Even if some are making attempts to make it seem so.

My point is if all things being equal in a triage situation with one patient having been vaccinated and thus with a strong possibility of antibodies, and the other being unvaccinated and with none, then which is that triage doctor going to rate with the best chance of survival ?

It was a simple question. If you are not able to answer then no need for childish remarks.

Okay fine the person with a better chance of survival gets the bed.

Why is that even a question? What does it matter?

Like you said before and unvaccinated person with a better chance to live is going to go ahead of the vaccinated person. So it makes your line of questioning kinda pointless.

Again where are you going with that?

• Advertisement

The convoluted hypothetical question might be worthwhile for a post or 2, but to keep at it for the length you have is just weird.

There was nothing convoluted about the question. Other than one or two genuine attempts at answering I don`t see what was the point of posts to not answer while attempting to make it more convoluted than it was, or just making childish remarks for the sake of it.

Did you miss the question ?

It was all things being equal other than vaccine status, which would be more likely to get the bed based on their chance of survival.

Treat the vaccinated person. In a private room with silk pyjamas.

Hang the other chunt!

Did I win?

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭moonage

What if someone ends up in hospital as a result of injury from the vaccine? (I'd say this is a lot more common than is being reported.)

Should they be denied treatment for something they brought on themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Try not to laugh , I couldn't stop laughing 😁 Publicans will be thrilled 🙄 no tickets but if event permits dancing ...............

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

I think it’s fair enough at this stage to assume the masks will never go away. Sad but here we are.

Nah I've stopped wearing one in most places. Will put on if asked. But lots of people seem to be following suit. The bits got rid of them.

Imagine that. In years to come the English are living life normally and we are stuck on our little island following rules like we used to follow the church back in the day.

We were under the British thumb. Got rid of them

We were under the churches thumb. Got rid of that too.

Now we are under the states medical leaders thumb.

There is trend in Ireland. We just love being told what to do.

I say the about tongue in cheek but there is a very religious dedication in which we follow rules without question.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I think it's fair enough at this stage to assume the masks will go away. Sad that you don't think so but here we are.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Good news for mask makers though. Every cloud and all

Advertisement