Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dream big, work hard, achieve your goals - My DCM '19 Journey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Yep I agree with the lads in their comparison, the speeds are great for the faster stuff & I had originally bought the speed carbon plated runner for my marathon but didn't find too much difference at all between them & the speeds. I then tried the Asics and well they never fit properly & I just didn't really like them. After a saga of sending them back etc I tried the NB V2 & loved them from the minute I put them on. I can feel a difference between them & the TCs, they feel supportive, airy, cushiony but not overly soft! To me they are just right. Wore them for the half in Antrim & then Manchester, would definitely say I'm a huge fan of NB now.

I got mine for a great price in the Lifestyle sale if santa wants to check it out😉

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Thanks E, the report was even better than the run ! Well deserved after all you've been through.

**** Breaking news👀**

So it turns out my half marathon PB in Antrim doesn't stand...the course was 54mtrs short🙄

Ah well $hit happens, will just have to try in Bohermeen if I get a spot🤞😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

😮 hadn't seen that. Did the women's world record get reversed then? Your PB counts as you covered over the distance either way. 👌

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

You covered 13.13 miles that day...its a pb!

Ooooofff. Would you still have beaten your old PB in another 54 metres ? Keep it so!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I did see a lot of people on the Antrim HM Facebook page claiming to have run the full distance because of what their garmins told them alright. 🙄

Very annoying. I looked at the race organiser’s press release, which says they had the course measured by a certified measurer. The world record ratification must have prompted a check or a re-measure. 54m short is very bad, as the procedure requires the measures to add a buffer of 0.1 of 1% of the distance (about 21m) to ensure the course is definitely not short.

At 7 min/mile pace, 54 metres is worth about, what, 14 seconds? A screw up, any way you look at it.

Post edited by Murph_D on

Thanks all but ultimately the course was short, I didn't technically run a full measured course like you should in a race so I won't be claiming it as a PB. Even if I work out what I may have run the missing distance in, the fact is I didn't run it, ah sure not to worry I still really enjoyed it as my 1st race back🤗

Now to watch Liverpool slaughter Man U😁❤

• Advertisement

On that note, I'd say the HM I'm signed up for in a couple of weeks was measured with a garmin and a bike!

Mon 25th - WU, 5*400, 7*200, CD

Weds 27th - WU, 4*1k, CD

Fri 29th - WU, 4*1K, CD

Sun 31st - WU, 5mile moderate with surges, CD (and a slight hangover from my daughters 21st fancy dress birthday party)

Tues 2nd Nov - WU, 5*1K@2K HR, CD

Weds 3rd - WU, 5*400, 7*200, CD

Thurs 4th - WU, 5*1k, CD

Sat 6th - WU, 5*1K, CD

Sun 7th - WU, 4*2K, CD

Back to building myself back up over the last 2 weeks. My leg didn't feel great after last Sundays run, was fine on it but was limping a bit after. It was decided it would be best to rest on Monday & see how it was. Couldn't explain exactly what it was but I felt ok to run Tues but did these at the 2k HR. It feels a lot better now thank god as I was genuinely almost crying at the thoughts of not running! I will continue to build myself back up over the next few weeks with a few races thrown in for good measure😉

Having the 2 weeks off running completely was very much needed. I let my body & mind rest, it was tough at times but only when I stopped & reflected I realized how much I was in autopilot. I missed running but as I got back into it I realized how easy it was to fall into the trap of just wanting to sit on the couch watching tv rather than heading out for a run. It was really only after I thought I might not be able to run that I actually knew I needed to adjust my mindset & that consistent running was going to be key!

I also thought a bit about the marathon. Still happy with my performance, I thought back to my training & after a debrief with S he confirmed what I was thinking. I went into this with my goal A time & I do believe it was achievable based on lots of things. I was a few weeks into my training when my dad died & those 4 weeks after should have been when I peaked. Although I ran every day my mind just wasn't in it a lot of the time, in fact a lot of it is a bit of a blur but I would not admit that I may not be able to run the race I wanted to. After my session on the 19th of August, not being able to do the 13miles @7:30ish I just knew it wasn't going to happen for me & it did throw me a bit but in the grand scheme of what I was going through I put a bit of perspective on it but again I didn't want to admit that maybe my training should be adjusted. Thankfully for me S knew this is what had to happen & that's exactly what he did, he softened it around the edges without telling me but deep down I kinda knew. He knows how stubborn I am & how I was in a state of just because I'm grieving doesn't mean I can't follow a plan. I am very grateful to him for this as it actually made the marathon enjoyable for me knowing I didn't need to push myself to that A goal time. My running means so much to me & has helped me so much over the past 3 months & having a mentor that does have my best interests at heart makes all the difference, PB's are amazing & such a buzz but really all I want is to try stay injury free & always have running in my life😃

So what's in store for me? Well my bank balance certainly didn't thank me but I booked a few races, these are just to get back into feeling the race buzz & trying to gain more experience. My goal race is Bohermeen & hopefully the weather is a lot better than when I did it in 2019!

Tallaght 5k - 14th Nov - Was postponed a few times during Covid lockdowns.

Jingle Bells - 4th Dec

Raheny - 30th Jan

Trim 10mile - 6th Feb

Bohermeen - 13th March - Goal race!

These should keep me busy for a while😂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Catching up here - some great training going on - and YES to the TC's and also to the Endorphin Speeds (when not wet out).

You reminded me that I also have an entry to the tallaght 5k - I must make a decision on that - this is where the title of my log helps me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Drama much?? I might not be able to run again. 🙄 It's a little niggle, nothing else.

As for those races being for the buzz and experience...no,they will be your weekend session with a purpose! We'll be having none of this buzz talk until tea and sandwiches return!

Cheers! I realized I gave out false information in my log when I gave advise on the TC's... I don't actually own a pair, it's the Rebel V2 that I own😬

I'm doing Tallaght to get a feel for where I am, Bohermeen is my main goal & it will stay my main focus!

I might see you on Sunday if you decide to do it😊

Ok maybe a slight exaggeration🤷‍♀️ but it wouldn't be me if there wasn't some drama😉

Yes I agree & the purpose will be to feel the buzz! I will bring a packed lunch to each race, a flask of tea, sandwiches & home made cakes😜

That's a lot of race signups for sure! Dungarvan will be opening soon as well. 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Good to see I am not the only one who has been bitten by the race sign up buzz!

The same apart from Bohermeen, will be at JB as you know but not in a racing capacity.

Maybe races will spark my log back into life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Well done E, the 2 week break seemed to have done you well. I shall hopefully see you at all those races bar Tallaght.

• Advertisement

Glad to see you're getting going again.

I've signed up for the middle three on that list. Surely we'll catch up at one of them 😀

Seems like we narrowly missed each other around White's Gate yesterday.

I don't think I need anymore temptation 👀 The last message from S was to send him a FINAL list of races before Bohermeen & once the list was sent there were no more to be added🤣

Haha nope I couldn't wait to register! You should defo get that log back up & running, we could use some more life around here😁

Yeah feels good J, doing what I love!! That was a very random last minute route I put together on Sunday! Can't beat running in the park on mornings like it😊

Cheers D, hope all is well with you! Looks like there will be a good few from Boards at these races, be nice to meet up before or after if possible...@Lambay island I think you said you were good at baking🤔😉

Just realised I hit 2,000 miles on my run today, happy with that😁

Mon 8th - Rest

Tues 9th - WU, 5*1K & 3 strides, CD

Weds 10th - WU, 15*200, CD

Thurs 11th - WU, 5*1k & 3 strides, CD

Fri 12th - WU, 8*V. easy 400, CD

Sat 13th - Rest

Sun 14th - Race

Tallaght 5k - Chip time 20:53

This was booked so long ago & the date changes a few times but because of restrictions etc it never happened. Got an email a few weeks ago to say it was going ahead, there was an offer of a refund but I decided to race it just to gauge where I was as I had booked Jingle Bells which is only 3 weeks away. Went out for food & a couple of drinks last night but was home at a very respectable hour😇

Had all my gear laid out & as the race was only down the road I stayed in bed till 8. Had a slice of toast & Jam & off I went. Parked up on a path near the collage as all the spaces in the school & clubhouse were gone. It was a lovely morning so went with my navy & orange speedy shorts & matching top, my Endorphin Pros (which are still so white😁) were my runners of choice this morning. I knew I wasn't in PB shape but I wasn't really too sure where I was at, I didn't know how exactly I would deal with the 5k pain again. I had decided to go out cautiously at about 4:10/15 for the 1st 2 kms then see where I was at. Had spoken to @scotindublin at the start, he was going hell for leather, going out hard & seeing how he hung on...I wished him all the best. Then I met @Lazare too, we chatted & headed up to the start line, he also had a PB in his plan, listening to the 2 lads I thought maybe I should go for a PB but knew I'd blow up & that I just wasn't in the place to! The gun went & we were off, we wished each other the best of luck.

The 1st 2kms felt good, didn't stick to my plan really of the 4:10/15 pace. The more I thought about the course I thought I might need it a bit later as Tymon road can be quite a drag. I was in with a small group for the 1st 2 kms, tucked in behind & was happy with the effort & pace. As we came down the straight road at Tymon park I picked up the pace a small bit & dropped away from the group. A man came up behind me at this stage & we ran together for the guts of a km. He then slowed down a bit & I was running alone for a bit. I felt good, defo no regrets of going at the pace I did.

3 & 4km felt tough. This is where the pain set in. The drag felt steep, my time just kept getting slower, at one stage I seen 4:30😲 I could feel my breathing becoming labored too & everyone else's around me. I needed someone to shout at me right now, c'mon Elaine, run, you can do it, the pain will be gone soon is what I kept telling myself. I wanted to push on more here but I was afraid to as well, I didn't want to stop & was kinda in the mind frame that I might stop if it really became unbearable so I kept it at a pain level I could deal with. Today was not the day for heroics on so many levels. So I just kept pushing on. Thankfully I managed to push the pace a bit for the last km, was so happy to see the entrance to the clubhouse as I knew the end was near!

Ran onto the track & it was so nice. The bounce was lovely, had decided I wasn't going to proper push it until I had reached the bend, got there & gave it one last surge to finish in a gun time of 21:02, chip time 20:53. Happy with that, I enjoyed the whole race experience & it's gonna take a bit of time getting used to racing again but i'm loving being back at them. Had a lovely chat with @djemba djemba too before collecting my medal & heading for a cool down with @Lazare. Well done to the lads on their very impressive performances😊

Happy with how today went, just need to get my pacing a bit better timed but I'm sure with more practice that will come to me. As a bit of a chatter box(you'd never guess it😜) I really enjoyed being back with people again, chatting to fellow boardsies & other people I knew from the area & from other races.

Looking forward to Jingle Bells now, have the Elf outfit all ready to go🎅🎄😁

Miles for the week - 41.2

Miles for the year - 2,036.8

Post edited by Laineyfrecks on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Great report E, very enjoyable read.

Experiencing that pain again will defo stand to ya for Jingle Bells. Looking forward to seeing how the Elf gets on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Great to catch up with you this morning; you will be the fastest Elf in the Park for Jingle Bells

Mon 15th - W/U, 10*400, C/D

Did these at the slower end of the range, not feeling too bad after yesterdays race.

Tues 16th - WU, 5*1K , CD

Managed to head out for this at lunch time, hopefully will have a mix of lunch & evening runs. My daughters 16th birthday so we had Tea & cupcakes whilst she opened her pressies!

Weds 17th - WU, 2*1K@6:30, 3min rec, 8*200's, CD

Enjoyed doing a bit of faster stuff this evening. It was dark from the start of this run & it was a frustrating trying to dodge people on the footpaths whilst watching my footing as I did. People are much less willing to go into single file in the dark for some reason 🤷 Happy with this run overall!

Thurs 18th - WU, 5*1k , CD

Happy to get out in daylight for this 😄 set off on my usual route for this, legs felt really good from the start & they stayed that way for the whole run. Enjoyed feeling so strong for this.

Fri 19th - WU, 10*400, CD

Wasn't really feeling the love for this today for some reason but got it done & a nice bit of sunshine was an added bonus.

Sat 20th - Rest

Went to Belfast on the Train for the day to see the Christmas markets & just to potter around with my mam & 2 daughters. The birthday girl requested that we all wear Christmas jumpers so with a bit of persuasion we did 😉

Sun 21st - W/U, 3*strides, 6*7mins@7:40 with 1min surges @6:40, C/D

Went out to the park for this, parked up & set off. Was a lot cooler than recent mornings so wore my long sleeve top, gloves & head band to keep my ears warm but I did stay in the shorts 😁 Was sunny but quite crisp & some parts of the grass was still covered in frost. A busy morning in the park with lots of runners about, always really nice to see. Another bit of faster work which I knew would warm me up soon enough! Settled into the 6mins easily enough & quite enjoyed them. Some of the 1min surges were tougher with the route I picked but the efforts were there. Finished off with a hot chocolate, marshmallows & cream 🤗

A very enjoyable weeks training!

Miles for the week - 44.6

Miles for year so far - 2,081.40

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Have you retired your log?!? IN the grand scheme of things two weeks away is a big gap for this log!

• Advertisement

Haha think you can get rid of me that easily😜

I guess I'm just taking an unintentional break... I'm finding everything a bit of a struggle at the moment, my hearts not in a lot of things, I'm sure it will pass, December & the Christmas celebrations (which I usually love so much) are tough this year.

I will be back logging for sure, I love nothing more than a waffle, just not sure when.

Enjoying reading all the logs, glad to see a few people back logging too.

Advertisement