Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your thoughts on the fertiliser price s for 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

When you factor in the cost of spreading organic manures, especially where there is a bit of a draw up until now artificial fertlizer works out around the same price. The only saving may be in own labour costs which often works out at 10-15 euro/ hour

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Usually only need about 10ac or so for maize, so it will be a small enough fraction of the outblock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Dunedin

I think you’ll find most merchants store it outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Maize.

I don’t know of any crop that yields so much grain/forage with such a short growing season. In 90-120 days it can yield 6t/ac of dried grain without any fungicides or pesticides. The French say that all it needs is ‘feet in water and head in the sun’.

With such a short growing season it doesn’t need the amount of fertilizer that ye’re talking about. Not anywhere near it! Just because of its spectacular efficiency in producing huge crops, merchants must be using the excuse that you can’t have the output without the input??

Sowing rates.

There’s two limitations on growing maize. Sun and water. I’ve the sun and ye’ve the water…

When my land type or lack of irrigation is going to limit the crop, I reduce seed rates. I think ye should do likewise to maximize production/quality due to lack of sun.

The reason I planted the ‘Irish’ type maize at 69k and 111k/ha was that the drill wouldn’t go any higher or lower seed rates!

Its all about the cob! In forage maize at 33%DM, 55% of the weight of the forage is grain. The height of the forage crop should only be taken into account as a function of the size of the cob..objective being 35% energy. This only matters to those who are feeding a maize based diet. Therefore, the amount of grain per cob/acre should be your ONLY objective because ye’re using it as an energy buffer (bought energy replacement) forage.

Again on fertilizer. Nobody in their right mind would give sbarley the same fert as wbarley, even though the sbarley can often way outyield the winter barley. Rule of thumb with any crop, the shorter the growing season, the less nutrition needed.

No not quite right. Most fertlizer now goes straight from Plant to farmers yard. Merchants are only facilitators. Fertlizer held outside in a farm year carries a way more risk than in a manufacturer plant where there will be some pest control. In a farmers ta d where birds and particularly crows are present them having fertlizer sitting there for the winter increases the risk of damage 8-10 fold.

Any fertlizer sitting in a merchant yard is for lads picking up a ton or two.3-4 max after that it is delivered straight from manufacturers.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

There is usually a massive amount stockpiled outside in new ross and bellview before spring. Haven't passed either in a longtime so no idea if it's building up or not

• Registered Users Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

In 2 different Arrabawn stores recently ….fair stock of all different types of fertiliser in both yards ….and I see artic loads of fertiliser moving north and south on m7 every week

• Registered Users Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Will they sell it though if you went in payment up front if you wanted a artic load delivered next week is the question....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Wonder what humic acid is costing in bulk, might have good potential if it could be gotten at a reasonable price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Didn’t ask ……but a merchant never likely to refuse upfront payement …..I agree that fertiliser supply and what u may want and price will be somewhat of an issue next spring and into summer at least but I’m hearing restrictions on amounts bought could come into it to ensure that at least there will be a supply there for anyone that wants to purchase

• Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭mf240

They will have to look after there regular cusomers or they will lose them.

Lads that price half the country every year could be in troble. Although money talks.

I know if it was after dropping in price the co ops would tell you they had it all bought beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Dunedin

ah now Bass if you’re going to make a point make a sensible one. Not saying what % goes from plant to farm, my point is simply that merchants store it outside stored on 2 ton pallets covered in plastic dry as a cork.

Your average beef farmer probably getting 10 ton a year is not getting it direct from the plant. They go to merchants or merchant delivers. So unless farmer decides to cut open the plastic for the craic when they have it home, then it’s in the same situ as the merchants yard. A few mouse bait stations would be the height of vermin control in my local merchant

• Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭mf240

Never seen a rat eating fertilizer

I have often carried a full pallet over the he winter. Any time I have this I have nearly always had a problem with a bag of it. I disagree about amount transferred from plant. I always order about ten ton and it always comes direct from fertlizer plants. The amount held in merchants and co-op over the winter normally is miniscule. Any order over 6-8 ton is delivered straight from fertlizer plant in a normal spring unless the buyer is collecting it. There is generally no delivery costs with fertlizer no point in the busiest part of the year dropping product in a yard to move it 1-2 hours later onto another truck

Crows and cats would be the problem not rats

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭DBK1

It must vary for different merchants/locations. Around here it would all be stored in merchants yards and delivered from there to the farmer. I don't think I've ever seen a load being delivered straight from the plant.

Grennans in rath would have hundreds of tons stored outdoors over the winter normally. I must take a trip around that way some day to see how much (or how little!) is there this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

If kept over winter, when on the loader let it down quickly on the ground to soften the bottom, finest afterwards. Never seen a crow, rat or anything else near fertiliser and lots of them around here

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Markcheese

When you add the energy it takes to grow the maize, the tillage ,the fertilizer and manure ,the diesel energy to harvest and draw the crop to the ad plant , +the energy of running the digester plant itself,and then burning the gas to make electricity , then it's more energy used than you get out of it ..

It can be a good thing when you're using a "waste" product - or are using animal slurry , and especially if you have a use for any ",waste " heat , or low grade methane -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭alps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

It’s like one of the laws in physics-you can’t create or destroy energy, only convert it from one form to another.

when all is counted, you’d wonder is there much of an addition to energy supplies, like you said when fert, diesel, electricity needed for the plant itself is all counted, what’s the positive outcome.

in all of these debates, the biggest issue is population growth. Where will it stop? Will it stop? Mother Nature has a way of looking after that throughout history, you’d fear what or when it’ll happen again. Or without getting into a debate, was COVID her attempt at doing so but modern medicine is keeping the world population above where it should be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Markcheese

It does -but largely through using diesel and fertilizer ( natural gas) ,both of which are storable -

I'd be interested to see the economics of collecting Cow slurry ,digesting that ,and then returning the digestate to farms , might end up robbing farms of a valuable resource though - especially if the price of fert stays high for a while ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

Glad I'm not the only one thought that.. Only had that discussion with the father this morning about population and covid.

We got lucky with the mortality rate of Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭alps

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭jaymla627

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Its been well researched by now that the world population will peak at something between 9 and 11 billion in the later part of the 21st century. As a country comes out of poverty, the women become alot better educated and family planning is generally widespread, and family sizes very quickly drop to an average of less than 2 children, which it is right now in most of the higher income countries, and places like China that took on radical one child policies. At this stage you get another big problem, the pension timebomb, where you have too many old retired people and not enough people working to support them lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,830 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

There is no evidence or reason to think it is man made.

It was a wild virus that escaped the lab.

We didn't we used one of the hardest lockdowns in the developed world to suppress the virus and protect the productive section of the economy and scraficed a lot of the entertainment, food and drink sector. We protected those working in those areas from the worst of these effect by enhanced unemployment benefits.

We still are not out of it but hopefully we will not need another lockdown to get us through this winter. However this is up to people individually, by being vaccinated and acting with a certain amount of responsibility.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Well the earth has an epidemic every 100 years or so that stems the population. Spanish flu, black death and the likes. As was said before modern medicine is messing with the natural order of things now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

Well I don't think any of us will volunteer to be culled, so suppose as a race we will need to figure out how we can all fit on this planet in some sort of harmony..don't know if we are all philosophical this weekend but similar theme running on a few threads now..ha

Advertisement