Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spiking.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,534 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Seems to be a lot of coverage locally in Derry of 'spiking' going on.

I always wondered practically how easy or difficult it actually is to do? Is it a tablet or a liquid added to drinks? If its a tablet, surely it would need time to dissolve and might be spotted?

I too think the vast majority of people claiming their drink was spiked just drank too much/too some drug that didn't agree with them, and are looking for an excuse to cover themselves.

Spiking by injection is a completely new thing to me, never heard that one before. If that is proven to be happening, then it definitely is a sinister turn. You'd need to be a determined kinda weirdo to go out on the town carrying a syringe filled with whatever, and be prepared to take the risk of trying to inject someone with it, hoping its not noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

there seems to be a major media campaign against the re'opening of nightclubs...these are articles appearing in the media at this time are no coincidence. people need to open their eyes at this stage. its not paranoia. its blatant fear mongering...to stop the youth going to clubs and spreading the covid virus.

No we have had this hysteria in non covid times too

• Advertisement

Or the pinmarks could be pinmarks. Bit of a coincidence to have a pinmark and to be blacked out.

Why the insistence on it not being possible?

One of the doubters said "Just because it happens doesn’t mean you don’t get tools making it up as an excuse or for attention" - even acknowledging it happens.

Agree. Definately possible. But highly inprobable. . Pinprick with tiny needle into skin a highly inefficient way to introduce sedatives. Ricin yes. Other things no

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Esel

People pre-spike at home these days...

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

Spiking with alcohol is very plausible and just as serious imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Perhaps the perpetrators thought you weren't worth the "investment".

I know a girl who ended up in hospital having her stomach pumped when she was a teenager. She never drank (still doesn't) due to a medical condition so when she started swaying her friends immediately knew something was up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Prof Measham says spiking might be happening more at this time of year because universities are in their first few weeks of term - when many people who turned 18 over lockdown are going out for the first time.

Police are also concerned over drink spiking at house parties.

"We're not sure about the scale of spiking but it's important to listen to the anxieties, the anger and to be thinking more generally how we can improve safety,"

i dunno, what 'level of care' is absolutely necessary. if you're going to the rounds of spiking someone would you be that worried?

I was looking it up because i thought a dose of GHB or whatever would be like a shot glass full, a proper mouthful, but its only like 1 or 2 ml, I doubt it's anywhere near as widespread as is made out, but even one incident will spread panic

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I do believe spiking happens but I do believe a lot of people lose control and blame they've been spiked. In a nightclub it's gonna be nearly impossible to bring a spiked girl home or somewhere to rape her, she'll be falling all over the place and probably vomiting everywhere. I can bet there are people outthere doing it but such a high risk to reward thing to do.

Do you think it would be impossible for a fella to be scummy and target and bring home a girl who is just out of it on a dozen vodkas?

If that is possible, then why not possible for the same fella to bring home a girl out of it on 2 vodkas plus a little extra she didn't even know she was drinking?

As for risk-to-reward....where is the big risk for the fella who administers it from his scummer point of view? That he doesn't get her out the door and his "investment" is wasted? It's probably far cheaper to slip her something than to buy her drinks for the night and plenty of fellas will buy drinks for the night.... He likely won't be caught in the act of putting it into her drink. If he gets her home and does what he wants to her, sure he knows plenty of people, as evidenced on here, will just blame the girl for drinking too much

The spiking of drinks does occur but is vanishingly rare. Several other posters have alluded to the medical evidence, that people who gwt brought to ED who claim to have been spiked are only very drunk

I have seen somebody who took pills, passed out, took 2 hours to wake up and when her parents came was claiming somebody spiked her drink. In effect putting a big target over her friends heads for an angry daddy. Thankfully the daddy was one of the "victim blamers" of this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 33,534 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

What exactly would be in these syringes? And where would perpetrators actually buy it?

These syringes are filled with a magic substance that assuages all guilt for stupid drunken f*ckwittery. Puked on friends. I was spiked. Bad sex with somebody i am embarrased about.. spiking. I bet we are going to see this used when appealing for reduced sentences in the district court next. Sorry judge, i opened up his face with a pint glass because my drink was spiked

I suppose that opinions are subjective based on experience. If your own peers are up to that all the time, then that is what you'll assume. For others who don't behave like that, when one of their group acts out of character and suddenly get paralytic, she would be more likely to believed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭political analyst

Because you'd go "Ouch!" if someone stuck a needle into you.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

This is quite frankly a disgraceful post and clearly the opinion of someone who has never been/witnessed anybody getting spiked.

Maybe not if you were already a bit drunk and someone used an auto-injector. Especially if you are distracted at the time with something else. As in a person pushes you while jabbing that up against your leg. If I am going to try that on someone it is likely that I will target an already drunk victim. So that will also introduce a bias where a victim of such an attack is likely to be also drunk.

Substances don't necessarily have to be injected. There was a case of an Irish fella who was drugged and robbed and killed in London a few years ago. I think it was suspected to be a case of using "Devil's breath". I have seen something like that being used when I travelled in South America. A local girl who was in our group immediately collapsed when a randomer walking by deliberately sprayed some sort of mist into her face. There were gangs of fellas going around with these spray bottles. He was literally just walking by, never stopped and quickly sprayed the mist at her without breaking his stride. Luckily there were paramedics nearby and we carried her to them. They looked after her for about half and hour and she was fine when she came too. Now, when I say carry, I don't mean we put our arms around her and helped her - I mean I took her legs and another fella took her arms and some others took the weight of her torso. She was completely conked out.

Right. Perhaps nobody explained that to the girl who collapsed when "something like that" was sprayed in her face. We wouldn't have needed to carry her to the paramedics and they wouldn't have had to keep her for about half an hour after bringing her to.

If only we had has some random expert on the internet to direct us all it would have saved a lot of hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I've been spiked at least once. I know I was spiked because I was into a bit of dabbling at the time, but at this particular moment I had only 2 pints drank. I wasn't spiked insofar as I can't remember it, I can, just that all of a sudden my legs would not work. I could barely keep myself propped up, and the vision/hearing was far more impaired than it should have been after 2 pints. I snapped out of it about 2 hours later, and was grand again. I was more annoyed that I was spiked rather than been offered...

And I too would be of the opinion that you'd know if you had been injected. You'd immediately feel the prick and move whatever part of the body was pricked, which leaves little time for a dose to be administered. Not saying it doesn't happen, just like the professionals I find it highly unlikely. Potential rapists are far more likely to go after the overly drunk girl. My cousin was nearly taken home one night. She doesn't usually get badly drunk, but did that night for some reason. I wasn't out, but my 2 best mates just happened to be out, and saw a lad trying to coax her into a taxi. They said she was so drunk that she genuinely wasn't able to speak. Now, maybe it was genuine, but the lads took her away anyway just in case. She had no recollection the following day.

On my time on the beat, I've seen young girls so drunk that anyone could have done anything with them. No friends in sight. Had to bring a few of them home for their own safety.

Well documented cases in south america of it slipped in peoples drinks and then they willingly go to the atm and hand over all their cash. Also produces amnesia.

I've done a lot of drugs over the years, dabbling with everything that wasn't addictive, and I know how all of that feels. However, in China, I had the experience of having my drink spiked. I wasn't aware my drink was spiked, and while I have no memory during the whole time thereafter, I have had flashbacks to how it felt when the hit came. Not fun. Seriously not fun.

I think most people here are being too flippant about the whole thing. It's not the same as being drunk. It's not the same as getting high. Because in both incidences choice and awareness comes into play. You know the effects of alchol, and if you're experienced, you know the effects of drugs on your system. And the simple fact is that most guys are not going to be targets of someone out to spike drinks. Women are the natural target for this both due to sexual interests, and also, physical resistance to any drug is likely to be lower.

As for how to spike the drink, many women prefer bottles to pints or glasses. Even without slipping something into someone's glass, it wouldn't be too difficult to switch a bottle with someone while talking to them. There are heaps of ways to interrupt and exchange something.. and frankly, I suspect most of the readers here know it too.

Yes, I do think the drinks being spiked is used as an excuse by some. There's always going to be some people who want to avoid responsibility for their own behavior... at the same time though, I do think this is a real problem for many areas.. and should be treated seriously. Just as those who lie about it should be treated harshly too.

What is "it"? I never said what was sprayed in her face. Because I don't know even though I was literally within a few feet of her at the time and saw the fella doing it. Hence the qualification "something like" rather than "it was X".

So it's mad that you definitely know what was, even though you don't know where or when it happened. And even though your previous post seems to doubt that it was possible.

don't know what the posters above are talking about, but something like GHB, or Ketamine, which are taken recreationally could be used, maybe sourced online or from a guy who knows a guy... i'd presume you could get syringes for insulin or whatever handy enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

I’ve read a few news reports about this syringe spiking in the UK and I have a few thoughts that I haven’t seen addressed in either the articles I’ve read or any comments in relation to the event.

My first thought was that syringe spiking is very extreme. For example, if you were to be caught syringing someone in a nightclub, you would presumably get battered into the fourth dimension and arrested. Syringing is much more visible than slipping a substance into someone’s drink. It is also much more visceral — reading about it has literally made me feel unsettled. Of course, it could be argued that maybe it is easy enough to syringe someone in the dark, but I still think this carries quite a high risk with it as they will feel the prick of the needle and alert whoever they are near to the assault (from what I’ve read it seems as if it takes ten minutes for the substance to take effect), meaning that the syringer is dangerously proximate.

Where am I going with this you are wondering. Bear with me. In a recent NYT article on this series of crimes, it stated that 12 such incidents occurred in Nottinghamshire while others were reported in Scotland. However, no sexual assaults have been reported in tandem with these syringe spikings. Multiple women have been syringed and brought to hospital by their friends or family after losing motor skills. But it does not appear as if there has been any attempt made to abduct these women after they are spiked. At least not in the articles I’ve read. So why then were they spiked in the first place?

My theory is as follows: these are not isolated events. Instead of these acts being perpetrated by multiple people, it might just be one person moving from city to city, perhaps from bar to club on any given night, syringing one or more women and moving on after the fact. It could be a pathological drive of some sort. And the objective is not to sexually assault women so much as it is to just syringe them. This may be providing enough of a rush (sexual or otherwise) for the assailant in question.

Dark I know but just something that occurred to me. It doesn’t really make sense otherwise. I find it hard to believe that this would manifest as a phenomenon amongst multiple people in such a short time period.

I think this is the work of a serial syringer, possibly the first such case like it.

Advertisement