Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GTA Trilogy Remaster: GTA III, Vice City and San Andreas

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Some people will find fault with literally anything.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

People are allowed to not like the look of it, to be fair :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,121 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

€60 is way too much for these. Would probably have picked it up when it went to €20-30, but San Andreas being on gamepass is enough to satisfy my curiosity. I don't need to play through all three of them again and SA was my favourite anyway. From the trailer GTA 3 looks like the most improved looking game, the improved lighting looks like it works quite well on what was a fairly dark looking game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The absolute bate minimum android port of these games is what I expected.

This on the other hand is a remaster more along the lines of christian whiteheads Sonic CD. There's a real love and reverence for the originals in these that I just didn't expect from a corporate entity like rockstar.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,003 ✭✭✭endainoz

Replying to you question about the RE 1 and 2 remakes, your answer is in your question. Those are full new remakes rather than remasters. Completely new games so they don't really compare to this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Personally I think it looks a bit meh.

I'd like to see some actual gameplay,like a run through of a mission or something. Seems a bit weird to me that the game releases 11th of next month and the footage that's out there is mostly cut scenes. Granted those are in game but still,id like to see it in proper motion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

You do see a couple of gameplay shots even if they are fractions of seconds.

Having played GTA 3 the most out of any of these games and knowing the game so well (I skip cutscenes because I know exactly what they are now. I don't lose context with the story anymore) I have a rough idea on how this will play.

The gameplay animations will likely be 90% the exact same.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Something along the lines of SR3 remastered, Spyro, Crash, etc. Actually modernising them is what I wanted. As I've said a few times, although people only want to pick the parts that offend them most, is that Rockstar could have put far more effort into doing something better imo. They have the money, resources and experience, and I think this is a half hearted attempt and a cash grab. As I said, I don't know the full work gone into it, but it feels half hearted to me, when the opportunity to make them better was wide open.

And as I previously said, if they released this at the start of the PS4/One gen, it would have been far more impressive. But having seen what other companies have done with their games from the 90's, I think Rockstar dropped the ball on this. It's not bad, it's just meh, and doesn't make me want to play through them again. I also don't get the cartooney references, GTA tried to be as real as the tech allowed them at the time. All those mods they forcefully took down did a better job, visually, imo. I don't think what they did is worth the asking price, just looks like a slightly improved version, and I was hoping for a remaster I suppose.

Re: Resident Evil remakes, so because they were remade from the ground up, we're supposed to ignore the actual effort put into them compared to these? Rockstar could have made these from the ground up again, but they took (imo) the lazy and cheaper option. Because they knew fans would buy it because they're as bad as Apple fans these days.

All my opinion. I apparantly have to keep saying that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The resident evil games are pretty much completely different games to the originals. They don't negate the originals, both are worth playing.

As for of they modernized the gameplay, that still haven't been confirmed but it sounding like they have done a lot in that area if what they are saying is to be believed. They are remade in unreal which is a modern engine and have said the controls will be like GTA V.

Not sure how that is different from crash and Spyro which are remade in new engines (and not that well in the case of crash). SR3 is just an updated renderer to the old engine, it's a hell of a lot less work than the others.

You wanted a remake, basically. That's what the crux of your complaint is.

They remastered it but you wanted a remake.

The things you wanted are akin to what was done in remakes.

No game from the 90s got Remastered in the last few years. They all got remade (Lads, we won't talk about Night Trap).

MediEvil, Oddworld, Crash and Spyro, as such, were recreated from nothing, and were remade.

Mafia was also remade. If it was a remaster then it would had to have been made using the original game's assets. But it wasn't, so they remade it from scratch. That's why it looks so good and so on par with any other big budget current-gen title, because it is a current-gen title.

The GTA trilogy was remastered. They took existing assets and worked around them, improving them but still keeping true to the style they originally had, hence the Sims-lookalike character models. That's what they wanted to make. I don't think they wanted to do anything more than that. It was clearly deliberate.

The only way they could've improved any further was if they recreated those models entirely, but then you're getting into remake territory which is not what the devs set out to do.

Another series that got a similar treatment to GTA in some way or another was Mass Effect. They took the existing games and worked around them to improve on them visually and mechanically.

Saints Row 3 also had a similar treatment, but the difference between that game (as well as Mass Effect) and GTA is, GTA is 20 years old. There's only so much you can do with 20-year-old assets. Saints Row 3 was remastered for one generation forward, as was ME, ergo they look ridiculously better.

Nobody's saying you're "wrong" but your expectations were in line for a remake. What the devs did with this trilogy was deliberate. They didn't make mishaps or mistakes - this is what they wanted to make. Everything is up for debate whether people will like it but the devs aren't coming up with any excuses. They aren't saying they ran into technical limitations or problems. It's obvious they're happy with this. The trailer suggested as much.

I will say though; slightly off-topic, your bumming up of Saints Row 3's remaster treatment has me intrigued to go check it out lol I've only ever seen screenshots of the improvements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Completely agree. And if they had gone to the extent of remaking, the games would probably be €50 each at least, given the size and scale of the games. The SR3 Remaster was €40 with just graphical upgrades (not sure if any DLC or anything was included). The Resident Evil remakes were full price games. Spyro and Crash were €40 each but much smaller games.

I'd just like to add that there should be no more slandering of night trap. The game is an avant garde masterpiece and also knowingly hilarious.

I agree with everything you have said. And yes, I must have wanted a remaster so. Which I think they should have done, and why I'm not that impressed by it. Yes, it looks like they did a very good job, especially with the lighting and weather effects, but as you mentioned the character models, while better than the original, still don't look great in comparison, imo.

Again, for the RE remakes, that's what I wanted. From the ground up, remade for modern audiences with modern tech. Rockstar could 100% have done that, but again imo they took the cheaper option and dressing it up as keeping the look of the old games. I don't want to play the old games, I want to play a new version of them, otherwise i'm just playing the same game again. Yes, SR3, Spyro, etc all play the exact same with some modernisation, but they looked new. This... doesn't. I not great at playing through most games more than once, and the coat of paint on this trilogy doesn't make me want to play them again, simply because my memory of them had better quality, and I would be ruining the memory by playing what I consider a lazy (in the scheme of available options) upgrade.

So yeah, I wanted a remake and got a remaster. That's the main complaint, and why I'm not excited for it. I never, and would never, expect or demand anything, I just won't buy them. But I can have an opinion, and as I've learned over the years on this forum, if your opinion goes against what most people believe, it sets peoples emotions going. I'll still hope that someday they'll do a remake of them, but doubtful they will now. They could have done so much better.

But I don't get the people saying that Rockstar did good here. They didn't. They did a remaster while removing mods that made their remaster look worse, so they knew it wasn't going to be that groundbreaking imo. That's scummy behaviour imo. And this is the same Rockstar that blatantly lies (ie: single player DLC) and heavily pushes MT's. Any other company would be torn open for it, but Rockstar has Apple level fanboys for some reason. This is PS4 level of enhancements to a 20 year old game.

And we still don't know if they have messed up the soundtracks....

You're entitled to your opinion.

Speaking of fanboys.

I made a shitposty-meme and posted it on the GTA subreddit a couple of days ago (slagging off the haters) and it blew right up 😂 I'm in hiding, that's why I've came here

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

I’ve never said “meh” to a Rockstar trailer but this update does nothing for me, looks like a Pixar take on GTA. A few years ago I would have been all over this but R* don’t care about the fans and that’s clear - milking gta online for an entire console generation is just greed. I care about R* & GTA now as much as they care about the long term fans - i don’t

You have to think of the economics.

A full remake would cost the about same amount as a new GTA to make... For one of the GTA games. It makes absolutely no sense to do that when those resources could be put into a new GTA. And if you think about it GTA 4 and five have kind of retread the same ground as GTA 3 and San Andreas and are pretty much remakes of those games. Makes no sense to retread that ground again.

I think looking for a remake of these games is unrealistic and also not what rockstar are offering here.

And I'm definitely not a rockstar fanboy. IMO their only truly great game since lemmings has been Bully although I do think GTA 3 is a very important game. But I can really see the and appreciate what rockstar are doing with this trilogy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

TBH I think full remakes have their place, but are frequently a significant alteration of the original vision. Resident Evil remakes are entirely different games, which is perfectly fine but we can’t suddenly strike the original versions from existence either. Even far more loyal remakes such as Shadow of the Colossus and Demon’s Souls are pretty substantial visual departures from the original work, changing the overall feel in the process. It’s not something that should happen with every game, as it’s vital to preserve old games as close to their original intention as possible.

Games do age pretty rapidly compared to other mediums, so there is often a need for a remaster to bring the visuals and controls up to modern standards - like releasing a newly restored classic film in 4K or whatever. It’s a very hard balance to get right, because simply upscaling to HD can lead to quite ugly work. This certainly does change the look somewhat, but in other ways seems like a genuine attempt to preserve the essence of the original games. I hope it works out.

That's fair enough, but is opposite to my thinking. They could have done so much better, but didn't. And I don't buy keeping with the original look, to me that's just something they're saying to avoid having to do it from the ground up. Just the way they did it doesn't sit right with me either, deliberately having mods removed so theirs would look better. It's good that 3 will be on Now, but I'll be waiting for a serious price drop or inclusion in Plus/Now at some point. And even if they did do it from the ground up, I'd be far more likely to drop 40 on each game, compared to 60 for all 3. Each to their own. To slightly go back on earlier words, yeah, the team behind it have done a good job of what they did, but it's not enough for me. They're 3 old, played to death games with a new coat of paint imo, which isn't enough to justify the price for me.

And still waiting for info on the soundtracks, especially for VC.

It will be on unreal so will be readily moddable.

Mods being removed is just a symptom of the old games getting delisted for these new versions.

It's kind of a bummer that the old mods will be removed but being on unreal opens up a whole new world of mods considering how much more simple it will be to mod.

As for the legal team actively going after modders, that's a separate issue.

That's exactly how I've been describing it, they've made it look like it does in my memory.

• Advertisement

Ordered. Fúcking expensive everywhere. I thought I already had it, turns out I had Saints Row IV Re-Elected (booooo).

Not only was it the cheapest on Littlewoods but I put the payment through my account, didn't cost me a penny 😋

Okay, off-topic flex over with, back to your regularly scheduled programming.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,960 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I'm playing Vice City at the moment and the tunes on the radio stations are cracking!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Why would you do that. Ruin the joy of playing the remaster. It will be so fresh still in your mind so some of the thrill of playing the remaster will be gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,960 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

It ain't ruining anything for me. If anything it's making me look forward to the remaster a lot more.

They've destroyed my childhood by making the dumbest design decision ever. Why aren't their hands stuck together anymore!? No love for art anymore by rockstar games. Cluckety-fcuk can I take your order?

I turned on GTA San Andreas, the mobile port for Xbox 360.

Ooft...................

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Whisht up, we don't talk about that one existing 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 18,142 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I'm hoping R* will do a Red Dead Switch release if this proves successful and plays well on switch can't see much of an online presence for Switch though but who knows

• Advertisement

My fiancée played it years ago and she ran into a game-breaking bug in San Fierro. That was enough to put me off it. Apparently I've played a good chunk of it according to my achievements but I've almost no recollection of playing the game lol I must've blocked it from my memory 😂 It's so.... mobile-ey, if that makes sense. The UI is so BIG and CHUNKY I hate it.

Advertisement