Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The French Dispatch [Wes Anderson]

• 12-02-2020 11:50am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭

No trailer yet, but a rather beautiful, and typically whimsical, poster has popped up online, alongside some stills via the New Yorker. Without even clicking I could have guessed how the stills would look and yup, it's as precisely Anderson'esque as you could imagine it.

It opens in the US in July, so not sure when we can expect to see it

Photos: https://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/a-look-at-wes-andersons-new-new-yorker-inspired-film

y3ljaj6jsd0ba7va4yz0.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭megaten

I had no idea this was coming. Hope its interesting because I didn't think Isle of Dogs was good at all apart from the pun in the title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

There's always an element of superficiality to his work, but dear lord Anderson paints some beautiful compositions. Not sure I'll ever get tired of them :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Looks like Wes Anderson has gone full Wes Andserson with this one. Good stuff.

(I really must watch The Royal Tenenbaums again...)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

youTube trailer for those who hate Twitter's video (like me lol :D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭OldRio

And now, we wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,560 ✭✭✭brevity

I still need to watch isle of dogs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Studio - “how Wes Anderson-y is this going to be?”
    Wes Anderson - “yes”

Bit of a hint of Grand Budapest Hotel from this. Which is no bad thing as it’s my favourite film of his. Looking forward to this immensely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

pixelburp wrote: »

I mean like... how hard is it to do a decent video player.. does twitter just not want to be seen to be copying Youtube or something?

pixelburp wrote: »

youtube is firewalled in my job :)

• Advertisement

peteeeed wrote: »
    youtube is firewalled in my job :)

Naw that's fair enough, just never understood why Twitter persists with that awful video player. They & Instagram have the worst video widgets of social media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Quite the cast.

as trailers go , i'm all in on this one

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

I enjoyed the trailer so much I nearly don't need to see the movie!

Release date has been put back by 3 months to Oct 16th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Seen the start of the trailer on IMDB and stopped it.
    Would love to see in when it is finally out.

peteeeed wrote: »
    Release date has been put back by 3 months to Oct 16th

Just looking at it's a Searchlight Pictures feature, which of course means Disney now. I was going to suggest at this stage it'd be a good candidate as an online-only release to bolster the service's attractiveness - though given Disney+ is supposedly "family friendly" oriented it's possibly not appropriate.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,574 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Loved this. For all the reviews claiming it’s ‘Wes Anderson being more Wes Anderson’, I actually felt it had a distinct flavour to his recent work. While it’s unmistakably one of his films, there’s a melancholy and maybe even tragic feeling to it that sets it apart. That was present at points in Grand Budapest, but there are far less cartoonish antics here… well, except for the actual cartoon chase sequence!

There’s a very lavish homage to Jacques Tati’s Mon Oncle a minute or two into the film, and I think that sets the tone: for all the talk about it being a celebration of journalism (and it is that, with a delightfully indulgent, lavish script reflecting its characters’ indulgent, lavish writing styles) it’s also a big old celebration of French cinema.

The middle segment is basically Wes Anderson making a playful but loving satire of Godard’s La Chinoise, and the last section is a spectacularly entertaining take on the suspense and heist stories of Clouzot. It’s all delightful, and framed with that usual level of total care and precision Anderson is known for. It’s less laugh out loud funny than some of his other films, but the man still knows how to frame a hell of a gag. His sparing use of colour here makes for some incredible moments, and there’s some fantastic bits where he gives us a different perspective on the diorama sets he has created (one scene has the camera joyously spin around a space we’ve already seen in that familiar, planimetric - to quote Bordwell - style).

So yes, a Wes Anderson film through and through, but for all that was familiar there was also something for me refreshing and even surprising about the tone and mood he shoots for here.

Also impressive to see how Anderson now has assembled such a large cast of regulars he’s able to cast the likes of Willem Dafoe or Saoirse Ronan for tiny roles that can be measured in shots, let alone scenes.

Hated it. His worst one to date. Supposedly this was him let to do what he wants with his creative freedom but it was too manic for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭santana75

Saw it earlier today and I thought it started really well, the first story was brilliant. But then it just went down hill from there, to the point where I started to nod off during the last story. It just wasn't engaging after that initial chapter. I dunno maybe it's a grower like so many of Andersons films. I didn't like the darjeeling limited when I saw it first but on subsequent views I grew to love it. So Im open to having my view change on this but right now, overall, it's just not the best

Post edited by santana75 on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,574 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Funny enough I found the last story the best of the lot, quite comfortably. Jeffrey Wright is the most compelling of the three main journalists, and it had a lot of fantastic, unusual visual ideas.

I think the middle story is probably the weakest of the three, but I loved its playful riffing on Godard and New Wave tropes so that more than sustained it for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I saw it yesterday. Went with high expectations as i really liked his last two films.

As a production is gorgeous to watch. All the set pieces are beautiful and colourful. It reminded me The Grand Budapest Hotel at times. Liked the costumes and the music too - Anderson's quirkiness in general is great and always on vision. Sometimes I get the feeling that he has a vision already and the story follows.

In this case though the story didn't do anything for me. The overall concept is interesting but none of the stories really grabbed my attention. I don't get the references (btw thank you Johnny for the detailed review) so I can't really appreciate the homage. It is a film though that I could see myself watching again as it is beautiful to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭conorhal

While I'm always eager to see a new film from Wes Anderson, I strongly suspect that this might well be my reaction to it also. When it comes to Anderson films that I really love, they tend to be the ones that have more heart than artifice to them like Rushmore, The Royal Tennenbaums, Fantastic Mr. Fox and Moonrise Kingdom. The only films of his that I found myself outright disliking were The Darjeeling Limited and Isle of Dogs, and even those have elements that would at least give me a reason to give them a second watch.

There was little tension anywhere in the film (a confrontation between Frances McDormand’s character and a young female protester was a rare moment when it threatened to come to life).

It’s just muso bs for beard strokers. Such a stark contrast with the early Anderson of Rushmore and Royal Tenebaums. The twee hipster nostalgia of those films was undercut by the worldweary cynicism of Bill Murray and Gene Hackman’s characters, sorely missed in the latter Anderson.

On a side note, remember when critics thought Edward Norton was going to be the next Robert DeNiro? Seems laughable now.

To be fair, they couldn't have known Norton would gain himself a reputation - rightly or wrongly- for being a controlling type and "difficult to work with" as the euphemism goes. Think he clashed on enough big studio projects that he sabotaged his prominence in studios' casting wishlists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭santana75

I didnt know he had a reputation for being difficult to work with. Hard to know what the truth is in these situations, whether someone is genuinely an asshole or they're being thrown under a bus for speaking up about something that was a bit untoward.

I'd have to dig to see if it's all just mis-rememberance on my part, but I wanna say he clashed on both The Incredible Hulk shoot, and that of the Italian Job remake. Over what and with who 🤷 but those were the two instances I believe Norton blotted his copybook in the big leagues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭MfMan

In his forthcoming biography, Brian Cox mentions same. Norton was talented and likeable but could be 'an a**hole'.

Why would anyone want to be the next De Niro?

Advertisement