Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,307 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

modern political and economic ideologies depict that taxation is reduced on wealth, and moved more so towards labour and consumption, this is exactly what we have now, this is one of the main reasons why we have highly dysfunctional housing markets, this is why we have high levels of dereliction, land hoarding etc etc etc. this approach to politics and economics is most common across the world, especially in the eu, hence our situation....

once again, private debts are creating the bulk of our problems globally, as is the case here in ireland, we keep defaulting to a primarily credit fueled economy, which tends to move towards asset markets such as property and land, creating whats called a fire sector lead and dictated economy..... we have to stop this madness, its destroying our housing markets

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Ireland has a sovereign wealth fund FYI, just for all the comments over the last page saying we should have one.

true, but we re not fully utilizing this approach, to share wealth amongst all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Marius34

Yes, it works that way. Wealth is shared for population, and the higher revenue per capita, the easier to achieve revenue surplus.

top 5 countries with highest oil production per capita: Norway, Kuwait, UAT, Saudi Arabia, Qatar

top 5 countries with largest oil&gas Sovereign wealth funds: Norway, Kuwait, UAT, Saudi Arabia, Qatar

Thus it's unrealistic expectations for Ireland to have Fund like Norway.

Ireland private household debt is not that high anymore. It's the Public one that is high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

In the good times yes rather than a continuous loop of overheating the economy.

Lobbying by construction/development sector has been extremely harmful to the economy repeating the mistakes of the celtic tiger. We need a mid tier housing market that is affordable, profitable and linked to people's incomes. Stock stays within this bracket and is not sold to the private market.

People can move between these markets not the houses. An affordable rents/purchase within this segment replace all subsidies to build in the private market

Do you think it would be realistic that Ireland in all the wealth that was created in the last 30 years that we could have a wealth fund of 250billion as opposed to a debt of a similar amount.

Would it be fair to say the reason we don't, can almost entirely be down to runaway property prices.

Every year for the last 6 years we have had extra billions in unexpected revenues from corporation taxes. That could easily have been used to build adequate housing where its needed at Reasnoble cost. This benefits the companies that generated the revenue, the workers, the economy and the small business that service it all. All easily done with careful management and generating an income for the state

Instead it was all farmed out to foreign pension/investment funds with their returns tax free and in many cases leaving the country. 30% + of peoples income leaving the country in rent and policies that continually increase that figure.

yes we all know this, but again, this is the true problem, and not just here, its a global problem, we ve been pushing our economies back towards a primarily credit fueled one, by not embracing more public debt, as this is how we ve been supplying our economies with money, via credit, baring in mind, our own economy is now currently perfectly primed for another credit fueled property boom.....

I agree that there is a risk that we could be moving to boom and bust cycle again. But there is as well a good chance that LTI limit will help to stabilize price in near future. Double digit price increase is not healthy or sustainable for longer term.

there will probably be incredible pressure placed upon the central bank to truly kick start building, if they cave, we re screwed, increasing public debt is the only way to try prevent this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭LJ12345

Irish times article ‘Ireland has 10th highest rate of vacant homes in the world study finds’ Note that this is a Uk study.... if only our own government could carry out such studies 🤔

Ireland was deemed to have a homeless population of 5,873 at the time of the analysis, meaning that just 3.2 per cent of its empty homes would be needed to house every homeless person in the country.

The Government has mooted the idea of introducing a vacant property tax but said it requires time to collect data on vacancy levels. The vacancy rate of a state’s housing stock is difficult to determine as homes may be temporarily vacant for a number of reasons.

If they even tried to start closing the net they would make instant progress...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,504 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It all comes down to if you want to live in a modern urban high population city you have to be willing to pay for it. Many are unwilling to accept that. They want there cake and to eat it.

Slava Ukrainii

its far more than just that, its in the interest of vested interests to maintain the status quo, i.e. rising prices.....

I think we are firmly in the boom bust cycle.

Bank of Mum and Dad, ftb grants plus shared equity chasing investment funds and ill thought out social housing funding with limitless cash and pay sweet f_all tax.

Looks like mania

We are heading for a brick wall at increasing velocity

Anyone thinking that all these global stimulus projects will be put on ice considering the inflation in the associated sectors.

Would it be better to let the inevitable correction happen and then stimulate when prices are more reasnoble

ah guessing game in regards correction or not, stimulus is needed now and big time, but it needs to be used correctly, and not further inflating asset prices

How is a stimulus needed when there is such demand worldwide?

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Jmc25

And if you're not willing to pay for it then go live elsewhere presumably?

That's a point of view that has politically dominated the last forty years in the western world and the current housing market is a byproduct of that. But I'd predict that we've reached the beginning of the end of this type world view.

Long term, these house prices won't be sustained. That's small comfort for anyone who needs to buy now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,504 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

No that is not my point. There is a demand to live in urban and ultra urban areas. However very few people born in these area's want to work in manual or trade area's. As well they often want to live in the area that they came from. This puts building pressure in these area's. As manual and especially building labour and skills have to be imported into these areas this increases the cost of housing.

There are 5-6 major elements in housing costs. Mainly Labour, materials, land, finance, planning and services.

Managing to partially reduce 1-3 of the costs will not solve the issue. Neither will a crash admin a crash nothing gets build. Some people would want to be careful what they wish for

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I got called by work over the weekend and had to work all night Saturday night.

I get to keep less than half of what I earned. The tax man takes the rest.

I was the only idiot who left their phone on so they got me this time. Wont happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

So are house prices just going to grow by 5-10% annually forever now? It's despairing to see my savings eaten away so much.

It really does seem that you lose if you're trying to be financially responsible. Those who stretch themselves to the max ended up winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

I think anyone buying is winning, you have to have a look at pre 08 just before the bubble burst is a person better off having bought at the peak or having waited and find the banks no longer lending so they could not get a mortgage in the years after 08. The question is who is in a better position - a renter who's rent will be going up by the rate of inflation or a buyer who will not see their mortgage go up by much (fixed term over 10 years now available) Remember and I have said this till I am blue in the face Ireland do not do family home repossessions so who is in the more secure position someone who has stretched themselves and bought or someone who could be left waiting for a crash that may never come and paying rent in the mean time.

It also begs the question who is being more financially prudent those waiting and renting with inflation increases or those who took the plunge bought and they know the costs for the next 10 years regardless or inflation or interest rate rises and knowing that no one will come knocking on the door if they fall into difficulty to try and kick them out of the house.

I think the person buying is being more financially responsible. But that is just my opinion.

Your post shows exactly why we are in a bubble. So right yet so wrong

Buy at any cost, regardless of where the money is coming from. The system is so dysfunctional there are no consequences.

The bill will be passed on to our children and we will be grand.

This is the result of systems and policies implemented by people elected to act in the best interests of the country and its citizens.

Wealth fund me h***

Your post start with to high confidence in things where people constantly fail with their forecast. You literally don't know if we are in a bubble.

This is the way it has always been for decades you need to talk to people who bought in the 80s/90s at horrendous rates of interest your talking double figures. I knew people who bought in the 80s who had to live on beans and toasts for about year after buying. How are we in bubble average wage in Ireland is 40,283 and the Irish banks are limited to giving borrowings of more than 3.5 your wage. Add up 10% deposit 20k FTB and then 3.5 times this figure = 140990 and the norm for the last 2/3 decades are people buying as a couple so you can double this figure. This means the average couple on the average wage can get a house of 330179 without going over the rules of the central bank. So that's a mortgage of 280k, 20k FTB and 30k deposit. Average house price is currently 287704 even with all the increases over the last 2/3 years.

We do have an issue with supply but to say we are in a bubble when the average couple out there can borrow and buy at 50k less than the average property price would suggest to me we are not in bubble territory yet.

The other comparison here is what people are paying in mortgages vs rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

If you are paying €100k over the asking price to get a house at all costs then its better to rent IMHO but that depends on location, plenty of terrible stories from the last housing bubble of people basically having to forget about ever having a family because they had been 10 years in 100k of negative equity on their 1 bed apt, cant sell, cant make enough renting it to buy another property and even worse what that did to their mental health.

Plenty of repossessed homes going for auction at the moment also, take a look at Bid X1, the 2008 crash caught a lot of people who handed the keys to their 300k houses back, house sold by bank at auction for 200k and they still had 100k mortgage to pay with no home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭DataDude

We've been sale agreed for a bit now but things are dragging along. Noticing a marked slowdown over the past month or so (I think?), although it's a bit polarized. Properties that would have had multiple offers within hours in March are sitting without offers for weeks now. A couple are still going wild though at €300k+ over asking. Not sure if it's just your usual cold feet with a life changing purchase or if there's really something at play, but we've been toying with the idea of backing out.

IF (big if) there is a significant cooldown happening atm, it's hard to know what the catalyst is? Supply is still incredibly low (13k on myhome) and confidence on wages/jobs must be at all time highs. Anyone else buying/selling at the moment have any real-time views on where things have changed over the past month (if at all)?

So they handed the keys back I tell you any family who puts up any kind of fight to the bank looking to take back the family home will have a very difficult time getting that family out.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,757 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

On a tangent, did you find a gaff in the area you were looking? Feels like you've been hunting for ages!

Advertisement